Fiona Apple takes time off to tend to ailing pooch
November 21st, 2012

Fiona Apple takes time off to tend to ailing pooch

We warned you to steel yourself before reading Fiona Apple's explanation for postponing her South American tour, because the singer/songwriter has written a letter that could touch even the cynical.

On her Facebook page, Apple said she couldn't set out on a string of dates - which were reportedly set to start in Brazil next week - because her 14-year-old Pit Bull Janet is dying.

"Here's the thing ... [Janet's] been ill for almost two years now, as a tumor has been idling in her chest," Apple writes. "I got her when she was 4 months old. I was 21 then, an adult officially - and she was my child. ... Janet has been the most consistent relationship of my adult life, and that is just a fact."

Apple recounts how she found Janet, who suffers from Addison's Disease, in Echo Park with a rope around her neck and covered in bite marks. Since then, Janet's become "my best friend and my mother and my daughter, my benefactor," Apple says. "[S]he's the one who taught me what love is."

When Apple returned from the last leg of her U.S. tour, she noticed Janet had taken a bad turn for the worse, not even wanting to be walked.

"I can't come to South America. Not now," the musician told her fans. "I know that she is coming close to [the] point where she will stop being a dog, and instead, be part of everything. She’ll be in the wind, and in the soil, and the snow, and in me, wherever I go. I just can't leave her now, please understand. If I go away again, I’m afraid she'll die and I won't have the honor of singing her to sleep, of escorting her out."

While postponing a tour is never easy for an artist or the fans who were planning to see a performance, Apple's confident she made the right choice.

"Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to pick which socks to wear to bed. But this decision is instant," she writes. "These are the choices we make, which define us. I will not be the woman who puts her career ahead of love and friendship."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. seo

Hi there would you mind letting me know which internet host you are working with? I have loaded your weblog in three different web browsers and I should say this blog loads a lot quicker then most. Are you able to suggest a good internet internet hosting provider at a honest price? Kudos, I value it! seo http://fiverr.com/twnseobacklink

April 24, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Donna Netsky

Abe Miller of East Mt. Airry is a wonderful man.

November 26, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. fiona

has her friends fooled

November 26, 2012 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. i would not flatter yourself to much

chris.

November 26, 2012 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. Steve

Ms. Apple and I wouldn't see eye-to-eye on many things. If we were to sit in each other's company, I'm sure we'd both be very spirited in our disagreements over practically everything... except for this. You made the right choice, Ms. Apple. My thought are with you and Janet.

November 25, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. which blazer the red one?

it'll fit by xmas...relax.

November 25, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. drats...

my new blazer doesn't right i'll keep it...in 5 more pounds it will be ok

November 25, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chris

Fiona's a huge talent, always has been. Imitated, but not duplicated.
    This is an easy hit for ignorants to make fun of.
    Those of us who get it, get it. The rest don't matter at all.
    Be there to escort your baby out when the time comes Fiona. Of course you are doing the right thing. Good for you and your soul that you know the things that matter in this world.

November 25, 2012 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. jjbkbrnr4u

November 25, 2012 at 5:56 am | Report abuse |
  10. mia in California

Fiona did the right thing. Very touching.

November 25, 2012 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  11. dave

At some point the humane thing to do is to end an animal's suffering. So pick out some socks and take the dog to a vet.

November 24, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Courtney

"There is something in the unselfish and self-sacrificing love of a brute, which goes directly to the heart of him who has had frequent occasion to test the paltry friendship and gossamer fidelity of mere Man." -Edgar Allan Poe

November 23, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gwats

I like animals., but I love my wife and son. I think people who develop these strong attachment to animals, a lower life form, are missing something in the mix. Animals are slaughtered for FOOD, we nourish and raise our offspring. Believe what you want, but be adult enough to suffer the consequences. What about the HUMAN families who will suffer because Ms. 'Sensitive' here was grieving over a 38 cent dog? Don't THEY matter more than this mutt? Priorities... Yours are 'fubar'.
    '

November 23, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sandy

I seriously doubt that ANYONE is going to "suffer" because they don't get to see Fiona Apple on a certain date. Seriously.That's ridiculously stupid.

November 24, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Gypsy Jay

GWATS: You are a heartless sob.... I cannot believe you call yourself a caring husband and father, etc while you trash Fiona's devotion to her Janet. Animals, sir, have souls..you, however, I am certain, do not. I only hope your children see the cruelty in you and abandon your thoughts and perhaps even you when your time comes.

November 24, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Medicine Man

Some animals have been shown to possess variants of the human FOXP2 gene (look up FOXP2 in Wikipedia), associated with comprehension of language in humans. This provides support for the anecdotal experience that certain animals are capable of parsing human conversations, looking for identifiable terms that they understand. Dogs in particular have been shown to have a sense of injustice, which seems to indicate that they have more human qualities than you.

November 24, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • A Pierobon

Here here Mr. Gypsy Ray. I have never met a dog that I didn't like but I can't say that about people

November 24, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allyson

How will families "sufer" because she postpones her tour? Oh yeah, it's a real tragedy that some South Americans have to wait until June to see a show they were going to see in January. Their lives are clearly ruined.

November 24, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • ld

A "lower" life form??? I think your comment here is evidence that this is not true. A living being that demonstrates pure, unconditional love for another teaches the rest of us that higher orders actually exist.

November 25, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Gwats,
      Who are you (or anyone else) to condem her decision to be with her dog when he crosses over? Unless you know her personally you haven't a clue what is going on inside of her, how much her dog means to her, what she has taught Fiona. I know you may not understand what you can learn from a "lower life form", but unconditional love, living in the moment, being thankful for what you have are just a few things. Open your mind a little. The only familes who will suffer because of this are the selfish people like you who apparently don't give a damn what someone else may be going through. I sincerely feel sorry for you and especially your son with what I can only imagine you must be teaching him about empathy and caring for others. I am personally not a big fan of her music, but a huge fan of her decision to be with her "family". If you had tickets to one of her posponed shows, why don't you and your family still have a nice evening and do something you would enjoy. Go down to a shelter and kick some puppies.

November 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • BK

Your comment is the perfect example of why I'd value a 38-cent dog over your wife and son.

December 2, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  14. Judy from Las Vegas

Very generous gesture. It's nice to see animal/human loyalty flowing in both directions. I know that pit bull would stay by her side if she was on her death bed. I think I will buy her latest CD just to help the girl out.

November 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dvin27

If you don't know her music or seen her live then you would not understand this. Her music is very emotional and dark, but in a good way. A great song writer and i know she gives her very best at all of her performances. Knowing her dog is dying could and would probably have a big affect on her, but i could see the other side of it. She has fans all over and probably let them down, but hopefully she will reschedule those dates as soon as possible, This is the type of person she is, which most of us are not.

November 23, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. How was your turkey?

Was it juicy like mine...

November 22, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  17. not home-shut down.

November 22, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • southern granny

Daaaaaaaaaaa! Take fido with you!!!!! Is dog story legit? Or mama's excuse? Rehab time? Sounds fishy 2 me.

November 22, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • don't call yourself southern granny

people will think you don't have any self esteem as a person.

November 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  18. lindaluttrell

Bravo for you, Fiona! We dog lovers know exactly how you feel.

November 22, 2012 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  19. James Crafford

Bravo, Fiona! I know exactly how you feel. Respect!

November 22, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  20. Hey!!

i would like to know more about that type of music.

November 22, 2012 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  21. JJ

What a story... my heart goes out to them... better to have loved and lost, vs never loved... best wishes – I am a big fan and do not even know your music

November 22, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  22. Wait..

is this the weekend of the twilight zone marathon?

November 22, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  23. ah...

So many bitter people. Especially that bitter b! Tch fom Jersey. I wished the hurricane would have washed her azz away. Happy Thanksgiving all! Football and turkey time!

November 22, 2012 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  24. ah...

Can it lady. Let me tell you "MY" story. It always has to be about "ME". My horse died. She is now in horsey heaven. I'm so sad. Sob.

November 22, 2012 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |
  25. Donna

Janet is one lucy dog anyone who has had a pet knows how she feels my heart goes out to her God Bless her for
    wanting to be with her dog and God Bless You Janet!!

November 22, 2012 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  26. dota13

Prayers to Fionna to give her the strength to get through this. So proud of you for doing this. WTG Fionna

November 22, 2012 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  27. Melissa

Even celebrities love their pets. I'd do the same for my baby girl kitty. Through everything that has been hardest in my life, she has always been there. She is my family, just as much as my husband, sister, nephew, father, aunts, uncles, and my grandma.

November 21, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Paul

As a former professional entertainer there are but a handful of good reasons to cancel performances... your own death being the number one. The death of a spouse or child, sure. But a dog? Sorry. Show must go on. She's nuts anyway and I would hate to be her manager.

November 21, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Pretty heartless...hopefully you don't have a pet. I'm a former pro entertainer too. I would drop a show in a heartbeat if it meant that it was the last time I'd be with a family member...and YES, my dog is part of my family. Anyone who can only see a pet as a lesser "thing" shouldn't be a pet owner.

November 21, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Max

Paul you must have never owned an animal especially a dog. A dog will give you unconditional love where as so called friends do not. Friends usually are not there when you need one but a four legged, furry friendly dog no matter the size is always there to listen, lick and cuddle. A dog has more senses than any human will have in their life time. That is why she had to stay home with her beloved pet. Concerts come and go, there will be another day but her best friend will not always be there so don't give her grief about cancelling her concert. Now...go out and adopt a dog and see who can and will be your best friend for life!

November 21, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

As a current professional entertainer, you are pretty heartless and ridiculous. Most artists are empathetic and caring. Sorry that you missed out on that. But, I note FORMER in your post so I guess it didn't work out that well for you.

Good for Fiona. She is a true artist and I hold the utmost respect for her.

November 21, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

I noticed Paul that you started off by telling us that you are a former performer !!! So your opinion of the show must go on tells us why you are now not working, because the love of a pet is far more important than a show. Maybe if you would have had a little more love in your heart you could have still been a performer, but it's obvious your audience didn't love you enough to keep you around. Any person not wiling to stay with a dear pet they have had for over fourteen years is not a good enough person to keep around as a performer. We want our performers to love us, and love those who should be extra close in their lives!!!

November 22, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Russell

No one would care if you died either.

November 23, 2012 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

No doubt you'll never get the chance to become Fiona's manager. You sound as if you're unable to manage your own life, much less care for a dog. What a churl you are.

November 23, 2012 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  29. bellenoitr

She's showing compassion for all living things. Yes, those include animals and pets. Kudos for her. If we all showed compassion for all living things this world wouldn't have so many problems. The monetary downfall of our economies is not what is going to ruin everything. It's our lack of compassion that is going to kill the human race.

November 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Debbie

Here the thing there are those who have dogs and those that do not. Those that view them as part of the family ( i am in that pack of people) Those who do not have dogs can't understand those that do and those that do can't understand those that don'.t When you bring in your family a pet it depends on your for it all. I understand and so touch that there are other folks that would do what I have done with my own pets. Just know that there are people who respect you for want you are doing. All a dog asks for is a safe place to live, food and for you to love them. In exchange they give their all. They do not pass judements on what you do, they do not turn away from you they turn towards you and stand in the way of what wants to hurt you. So just tell the ones that do not understand to Funk off.

November 21, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  31. your a loyal dog

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

November 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • debbie338

Functionally illiterate? Neither your name nor your comment make any sense.

November 25, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  32. What here the rest of the night

peace.

November 21, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Fine my apple yet

oh bright one...

watch this pig while i hit the stage.

November 21, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  34. she's not well liked in the industry

i'm surpised she's going out of the way..

don't take my comment out

November 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  35. mona19595

I would do the same thing, her dog is her heart and soul! Too bad more people don't think this way about their dog's!!!

November 21, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  36. San

I'd do the same thing, if I were in the same shoes. I've never noticed her music. Someone that beautiful might have something to say...I'll check her sound out. Prayers for both of them.

November 21, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  37. k

Fiona Apple,
    Follow your heart – your fans will wait! Your dog has been blessed to have you in his life.

November 21, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Man

I likes me some dogs. Some hot dogs. With catsup and mustard. Now them is some good pets.

November 21, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  38. post

i could go for a steak right now.

November 21, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Debbie

You are a good soul young lady! God bless you and Janet.

November 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Dee

Poor or rich, everywhere in the world we have pets that we value as our family members. The fact is Fiona is honoring her dog, by further enriching the short time her dog has on this earth.

My dog is my child. I had him as a puppy and I will love and cherish him until he passes on. Anyone who thinks otherwise can stuff it.

Yes, there are starving children and disasters. That will always be an on going problem. Now I am willing to put all the ones so quick to criticize are not lifting a finger to help the hungry children.

November 21, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. mike

Not a huge fan of hers, but gotta respect this.

November 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  42. AMERICAN

An animal pet ain't a person. It is dinner.

November 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gwyneth

Human beings are categorized in the Animalia Kingdom. Father down the scientific classifications humans are in the Mammalia Class. So, we are both animals and mammals!

Scientists mostly divide the world of living things into animals and plants. If something gets its energy from sunlight and doesn’t move around on its own, a scientist will usually call that creature a plant. Grass, moss, pumpkins and apple trees are all examples of plants.

If a creature gets its energy from eating other things and it can move around on its own, then scientists call it an animal. Dogs, cats, frogs, fish, dinosaurs, and humans are all examples of animals.

Mammals (or Mammalia) are members of a class of air-breathing vertebrate animals characterized by the possession of hair/fur, three middle ear bones, warm-blooded and mammary glands functional in mothers feeding their offspring. Most mammals also possess sweat glands and specialized teeth, and give birth to live offspring rather than lay eggs. – We humans have all of these things. Therefore we are mammals.

So go maul your mother, dummy!

November 22, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  43. k9z girl

Fiona has her priorities straight. Bless dear Janet and may it be a peaceful journey for her to the other side. May Fiona find peace in her heart knowing that a love like that cannot ever be final.

November 21, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Kat A

What an awesome story and it makes me like her even more!

With one day before the most gluttonous disgusting holidays in which once again we slaughter and kill MILLIONS of birds (in this case) otherwise it would be cows, pigs, LAMBS. Good for you Fiona!!!! All the other poor idiots out there that don't understand aren't worth it anyway...there is such an incredible bond between all kinds of animals and humans....

My family actually raised pet turkeys (not to eat) and they actually act like puppies and follow you everywhere....it is absoloutely disgusting to me to think that our culture has somehow grown to look at evey living thing and think we should cook it up and eat it.....what is the difference and who decided between a lamb and a puppy......a turkey and an eagle??????

My opinion is that all the "meat lovers" out there border on being a "little" slow.....must be all the meat pulsing through their veins....CHEERS to being a Veggie and Loving it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 21, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Magnon

I think it's only natural to wonder what something would taste like when barbecued up and served with a cold beer. It's just the way nature intended.

November 21, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  45. kelly

thats good that she will spend time with her dog. i like cats better than humans and i was heartbroken when my cat died,he was the love of my life

November 21, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Brathead

I hope you insensitive jerks get hit by a bus when you check your mailbox. I have had my cats since the day they were born and they are in fact like children. I dread the day when I have to say goodbye. You cold hearted a holes that have never known the unconditional love that a pet gives, well that is just your loss. Maybe one of these days before most of you die alone you will have someone or something show you what love is really all about.

November 21, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  47. MaineMan

After reading some of these posts it confirms my belief that there are two kinds of people – those who love animals and those who are the reason that people can love animals MORE than people.

November 21, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Toonces the Cat

Fiona... you are beautiful, I know exactly how you feel.... and you are absolutely doing the right thing. You are so lucky to have Janet in your life as she with you. I'm praying for Janet but know this; She will always be with you no matter what!
    And when your time comes she will be right there waiting for you, to be with you, to love you forever and ever!!
    I lost my most very special love last year and I have never missed anyone like that before, I will never be able to love anyone like that... Pure love, unconditional. She is my salvation.

November 21, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Asian Life

Many of you do not realise that in most parts of the world your pampered spoiled pets are our dinner. While people are starving you lavish your pets with dog treats and canned food many in impoverished areas would savour. Is a dog more important than a starving Sudanese child. I don't think so.

November 21, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelvin

typical stereotypes aside given your handle and comment, let's just say this, if you need an explanation of love and loyalty that goes beyond the human race then you have failed in life

November 21, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

Point officially missed. Way to go.

November 21, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  50. boyamidumb

Good for you Fiona. Our animals give us more love than we can ever give in return.

some of us know just how you feel.

November 21, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  51. tjp44

wow, she is a class act unlike many posts....maybe someday when you mean spirited people need compassion, you won't receive a$$hat comments like these..............no one will ever love you more than a dog...FACT....ever!

November 21, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Bulldog

Who wears socks to bed?

November 21, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  53. BKBroiler

She needs to take some time off touring to eat a freakin' burger.

November 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  54. hawkeye321

Deposit story. Flush. Wash hands.

November 21, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Farmer Joe

I lost a pet turkey once. Seems it was about this time last year. Near the end of November.

November 21, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Steve P

Why is everyone skipping past the elephant in the room, Fiona Apple is still touring? Didn't she make songs about 15 years ago? I haven't even thought of her name for years.

November 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • She needs . . .

. . . to get herself a girlfriend.

November 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrea

I caught her show in July of this year. Yes she is still touring and she has more talent than any of the mainstream artists. You're missin out.

November 21, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  57. ah...

Most people that own animals love them deeply. They are part of their families. I've lost many animals in my day. I had to put my last horse down in June. We fought the good fight, but I could not let her suffer. She and the rest of my animals lived long, happy lives, and that's the thing I hold on to.

November 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • k9z girl

Exactly!

November 21, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • who

Cares. The horse must have been happy to die to get away from ur annoying azz.

November 22, 2012 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Well!

Aren't you the most uncaring person on the thread. What a nasty thing to say! Happy thanksgiving to your annoying azz, too. Lots of bitter people in jersey, huh?

November 22, 2012 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  58. robin g

We all know the feeling to lose our precious pets. My son just lost the biggest part of his life – his beautiful lab. It will take a long time to get over the pain. It does ease, but it never leaves us.
    I think she made the right decision and staying close to her doggy, cuz we all know they were there for us when we needed them the most...our beautiful furry friends. WE LOVE YOU!!

November 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • LOSE

For the love of god it's "lose," not "loose."

November 21, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • tjp44

lost a lab too and an aussie shepeard after long healthy lives.......get your son another lab and it will do wonders....it's NOT too soon.......i love Thornwood Labradors of Klamath Falls, Oregon....great people and great dogs, have two of theirs now

November 21, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Stylistic Dre Freemont

I'm up for the best new rapper award this year. Peace out.

November 21, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Art Shaul

I don't know Fiona or follow her music, BUT, it's obvious she has a big heart & understands how amazing dogs are, especially pit bulls. I have one & my Daughter had 2 until had to put one to sleep. They are truly angels with a bad rap.
    To those who don't understand, sorry, you are missing something truly precious. Janet & Fiona are so lucky to have found each other. Go quietly in peace, Janet.

November 21, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  61. don't call yourself a big dumb dinosaur

thats low self esteem

November 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  62. i love to make up

after a good backstabbing.

November 21, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  63. who cares

dogs have to live for the moment like people

November 21, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  64. bigdumbdinosaur

Good for her! Her dog is a lot more trustworthy than some of the backstabbing humans that she would routinely encounter in the entertainment business.

November 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stylistic Dre Freemont

I agree. My pet lizard is my bud. Whether we are up in New York or laying tracks in Cali he's always there.

November 21, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • silly name

November 22, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  65. Gary Costello

To Ms. Apple,

Foe those who consider their 'pet' a family member, no explanation is needed; for those, who don;t, none is sufficient.

Stay with Janet and let her last awareness be to smell, hear and feel you. Love never dies.

Gary

November 21, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snoopy_and_Blab

Absolutely right & Nicely worded.

November 21, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • rswon

I couldn't have said it better myself. My sleepy little buddy is on the floor in front of me. Guess who's about to give his Shih Tzu a hug?

Fiona, the hearts and thoughts of all pet owners are with you.

November 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • sarah

Good for you.Well said

November 21, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Gina Garibaldi

Good for you Fiona, there is nothing more special than the unconditional love of a animal. Janet is just as lucky to have you as you are to have her. "Dogs' lives are too short... Their only fault, really." – AgnesTurnbull

November 21, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  67. you see when things are watchin

i get more turned on...thats my bad girl side.

November 21, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  68. all eyes are on dressup girl...

wearing a dress for thanksgiving?

November 21, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Jane Powers

you've never been on a tour-you only tour equipment.

November 21, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Stylistic Dre Freemont

Why don't she just take the pet with her? When I'm on tour I always take my Gila monster lizard Godzilla. He's my pal. He also inspires some of my songs.

November 21, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz in Seattle

In the (very long) letter she said that she can't take the dog with her because of this Addison's disease thing. Not really sure what that is but it sounds like the dog is weak and needs meds and the stress of traveling might not be good for her.

November 21, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snarf

Because many countries (like Brazil, USA and South Africa) don´t let the dogs/cats/other animals get in without a quarantine.
      Even if she taked the dog with her and get permissions for it to be all around her, when she was back, the authorities wouldn´t let the pouch go home without getting the 32 days on quarantine... and that would kill the dog before it´s time.
      So she made the choice of staying with her... like a family member she is.

November 21, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  71. britt dear.

nobody pays attention to you...its 2pm

November 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Monkey2009

i'll give you something to look at...just give me a chance to get there.

November 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Parent

Some people should just not have pets. If they are irresponsible enough to lose them then they aren't old enough to take on that much responsability yet.

November 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Brittney 2009

I lost my golden retriever named Goldie almost two years ago. Me and my sister are still devistated. We had her with us at the beach and she ran off chasing seagulls. We looked for her everywhere but she was lost. When we got back to the station wagon there she was ! Now we try to keep a closer watch on her.

November 21, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Cookie

Why is she letting the dog suffer? Is it not more humane to put Janet to sleep peacefully?

November 21, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike S.

There's a fine line, she obviously doesn't think it's time yet. It's easy to hear a story like this and think you know best, but believe me you don't. Perhaps the dog is doing well at times, and struggles at other times. Perhaps she sees happiness still there, and not continuous agony. Either way, don't act like you know what's really going on fully.

November 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

I do hope you're pro assisted suicide, then. Because it's the same thing, except the pet doesn't actually have a choice.

November 21, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • tjp44

the vet will tell you when and will not let an animal suffer if you won't.......been through it several times and each time the pet looks at you with a loving look you will never forget....God Bless as it still hurts....but a new animal lets you move on without forgetting....

November 21, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Gypsy Jay

I put down my 6 year old cat last year. She died in my arms after the vet administered the shot. The last thing i remember was the look of fear Lucy had as she entered her forever sleep. It was the humane thing to do for her.... or was it? I still don't know 13 months later...

November 24, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  76. CLHahn

Good for her!! Makes me respect her more as a person. She definitely understands the idea of loving an animal!!

November 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Danny

I had to put my 10yr old chow-lab mix down last year, the day after Christmas. My wife and I were completely devastated. My thought are with her during this very dark time.

November 21, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  78. we understand the word dog...

soaps are on in 20 min and bring your hacking equipment with you..you can do it all at once.

November 21, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  79. collectible action figures huh

you won't need them much longer.

November 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  80. CAH

We should all understand what "dog" spelled backwards is......

November 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  81. I'm going to the parade--what are you doing

November 21, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Canuck

Sorry. I cut off some of the words. Here is our pretty Canada song:

O Canada!
    Our home and native land!
    True patriot love in all thy sons command.
    With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
    The True North strong and free!
    From far and wide,
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
    God keep our land glorious and free!
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
    It's cold up here but that's ok
    We are America's hat
    We have moose and beavers
    And ladies that are fat

November 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  83. can't do nuttin else

can you.....2pm soap about to start. you better get ready...

November 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Mike S

Good for her, anyone who doesn't understand has no heart.

November 21, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Can't do a darn thing

f up da computer, f up phone numbers, text people - you got nuddin else to show.

November 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Dave

What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving? I hope having fun. We live in Canada do we have goose instead of turkey. It's good. Happy holidays.

November 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canuck

True patriot love in all thy sons command.
      With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
      The True North strong and free!
      From far and wide,
      O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
      God keep our land glorious and free!
      O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
      O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

November 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

Nice try, but Canada's Thanksgiving was about a month or so ago.

November 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Canadians are all over here

Canadians are over @ Tanger Outlets, Birch Run or Great Lakes Crossing for the bargains this week, there are special coupons just for them. Their Thanksgiving feast was in October.

November 22, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  87. Imperial Commander

I feel her pain. Once I thought I lost some of my collectible action figures. I was devistated until finding them behind the couch. My lab, Winston, had his them back there while playing. He was a good friend. I miss ol Winston.

November 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  88. David Hightower

I lost my lab, Winston, several weeks ago after a short illness. I had to take time off from work. I know how she feels and am happy she is making this decision. Thanks for doing the right thing.

November 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Doug

I'm so very sorry about your pet. Where did you lose him? I always make my daschund wear a leash when outside of the fence. I hope you find him soon.

November 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

Maybe if you put an add in the newspaper you might find the puppy. It's bad to loose a pet.

November 21, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mandy

People, his pet died. He didn't misplace his pet.....

November 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • se

@doug and @Jamie...you 2 are idiots

@David, sorry for your loss, pets become part of you family, it's never easy

November 21, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Tksgvg

This season seems so slow especially compared to last season. We have no one to really root for, and it seems as though the whole episode goes by and then the last 5 minutes are what we all have been waiting to see throughout the whole hour. I’m hooked, but slowly losing interest!

November 21, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  90. apps cant do anything else.

mess up da systems - das it...

November 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  91. i don't like this apple girl

she gets on my nerves.

November 21, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tksgvg

I think Van Alden, who changed his name to George Mueller, might have to change his name again after the work incident. I think he will change it to……….George Moran. That’s my theory. That’s right George “Bugs” Moran who will eventually become the leader of the North Side Gang after O’banion is killed in late 1924. I know this season is in 1923, sofar. Perhaps I am looking too far ahead. In the mean time Let’s Get the Action rolling. I want to see some people get “whacked”. LOL

November 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  92. CMAS TEXT

see what i mean...thats all you got.

November 21, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  93. i love being up here...

lords honest truth...2 rockettes were in the deli ordering salads–in costume!!!!!...being up here is a hoot–(true)

November 21, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Fiona Fan

All I can say is that this show is AWESOME! The Characters, story line, plot’s, etc. The Sopranos live on, in Boardwalk Empire! Does anyone else think that Nucky will Get Chalky and Richard to assist him in taking out Gyp? Maybe Capone/Torrio will help as well? As much as I love that these real historical characters, it kind of gives away who will stay and who will go. Obviously Nucky (the Tony Soprano of the show) isn’t going to be going away any time soon. Not to mention some of the others who historically move on to bigger and brighter (prosperous) careers. But it sure is fun to watch! How about my man Mr. Harrow, finally getting some love!

November 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  95. I just remebered

back in my day it was called a chaka kahn..oh well

November 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Hey

what's a bukkake

November 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  97. M

I admire her also.

November 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Zombie Girl

I am guessing but in the next week Promo, the one guy is digging three graves. Well as far as we know, Lori and T-Dog are the only ones that died. So whom is the 3rd grave for? My guess is for the baby, as there is NO Way to feed that thing at all. There will not be any milk in the prison for it and none of the other woman can produce milk now. So my guess is that the baby is going to die, but I bet that it does NOT have the plague either. That would be a nice developement, because then maybe new birth children would be imune from the plague if scatched or bitten!!!That would give a raw of HOPE for everyone for the future.

On a side note the two Cons show some interesting character developement and one I hope they explore more.

November 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  99. ash

Bravo, Fiona ! If only there were millions more like you ! Janet has truly been blessed since you saved her from her utter misery. Definitely you are doing the right thing now, remaining alongside her to comfort her as she is released from the heartache of this world.

November 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Quick Question

I am so hooked on The Walking Dead! I just started watching the show a couple months ago, but i started with season one and am completely caught up. Sunday nights are definitely the highlight of my week. I didn’t follow the comics, so I am going into this as a new fan. I was shocked to see that they chose to kill off Lori and save the baby. In my opinion, in a zombie apocalypse, they should not have gotten rid of a good team member for the sake of a new baby they will have to take care of! However I’m not complaining because I’m sure it will make for good TV. I am a HUGE Daryl fan, just like everyone else. I heard that he wasn’t even in the comics so I sure hope he sticks around! He is definitely a fan favorite and I can’t wait to see what happens with him as the season goes on. Also, where on earth is Carol? Who was on the other end of the phone? And is Rick going to lose his mind? These are just a few of the millions of questions running through my head. It’s going to be a wild season that is for sure, and I can’t wait!

November 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Mrs Claus

Poor T-Dog. What a waste of a great character. They definitely could have made him a bigger part of the show. I hope that Carol didn’t go the way that Sophia did. They better not get rid of Daryl. He’s my ultimate favorite. Watching him transition from a backwoods, redneck butthead into a valued member of a team has been amazing. I’m on the fence about these 2 prisoners though. Cant see them lasting long unless they man-up some. The loss of Lori is no great loss in my book but it was a huge turning point for both Rick and Carl. Rick will never be the same and I think Carl is going to grow up really fast and take some of the slack from Rick now. Can’t figure how they’re gonna work with that baby though. How are they gonna move around safely, if they need to, with a baby and Herschel on crutches? I think they’re gonna be at that prison for a long time.

November 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Stacey

November 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm
    IAnd here I thought it was just me who disliked the Lori Grimes character. She lacked any real strength and grounding and seemed to me to be far too flighty and unstable but all too willing to preach at others to be what she was not. I’m happy to see the character gone.I found her brief forays into “womaning up” thin and unbelievable. Though I will admit that I found her intense demise a very well done and wholly galvanizing performance. I agree that Andrea is becoming a bit of a whining, petulant annoyance. Still not certain what to make of Michonne, she seems like nobody’s fool. Like most others: Daryl is my fave; though I just can’t see Daryl and Carol being an item, they seem far too mismatched, the the visual of those two scampering off to the guard tower for a quickie just doesn’t work, in my humble opinion, Perhaps Andrea needs a good kick in pants by hooking her up with Merle the\varmint? The Governor dude gives the creeps, but I’m guessing he’s supposed to have that effect?

November 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  102. MJ

I admire her. Janet will allways be with her. My prayers are with them both.

November 21, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Govnor

the last two episodes were great but the finale was awesome!
    one thing i want to know is why didnt they take better/bigger vehicles on the hiway? if the suburban was breaking down there was a sweet white caddy sitting right there waiting to be driven away! and thank god nobody has to work on the damn RV anymore.
    why wouldnt anyone go scouting to search out better guns, ammo, food. when they were at the CDC there were tanks, hummers, and troop transports sitting around.
    how long can two arrows last daryl and his cross bow? i agree with Destiny, its stupid daryl is riding that loud motorcycle since loud noise attracts the walkers.

i love this show but more common sense needs to be thrown in cause if i had to kill zombies to stay alive i would be driving around in a heavy armored vehicle and scrounging for automatic weapons and ammo.

November 21, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Jeff

Good for her.

November 21, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Ha!

Somebody needs to go back to school, and learn how to spell, also!

November 21, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Alabama Man

We don't got no school here in the Deep South. No need fer it. That's for city folk. We work on the farm and chew tobacky and watch wrasslin.

November 21, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  107. everybodys tired teach

cut the spelling games

November 21, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Gwyneth

As a true GRITS, I gotta tell you, you don't sound like much of a man. Must be a pretty lonely life for you, trying to incite folks over the internet. Have fun playing with your peter!

November 22, 2012 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  109. Mr. Gypsy Jay

Could it be that you are just a tad racist; you just can't bear the thought of a black man be addressed as "Mr. President". As far as the animal issue, you should continue eating them.. but only one specific part... the rectum! Oh, by the way, it might be nice if you would return to 1st grade to take a few spelling lessons. You are not only a bigot, but an illiterate one as well!

November 24, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  110. Sam

I see that workin' man is workin' on full-fledged clownship.

November 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  111. get over yourself

too late for you to grow a soul. hope you get to the clearing at the end of the path, sooner rather than later.

November 24, 2012 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  112. John

you are a sad sad man. a lower life form indeed

November 24, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  113. Krumble

The fact is that people that are this caring towards animals are also this caring towards human beings. People that are cold and uncaring are cold and uncaring in general, which I have a hunch is YOU.

November 24, 2012 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  114. Mr.Gypsy Jay

Fiona and her perception of Janet are her totally awesome in my book. She obviously places great value on love and friendship and, in return for her gifts to Janet, Janet is eternally grateful. I recently lost my best friend, my wonderful feline child, my beloved Buddy Boy after 16 amazing and wonderful years of loving and complete devotion to one another. He died in my bed with me, in his sleep, without pain in the total quietude of the early morning. I have no regrets; we loved each other without reservation. The only problem for me is how much I miss my little best pal... I know he is now my guardian angel,'I only wish a peaceful, painless passing for Janet and that Fiona will cary Janet's spirit in her heart for the rest of her days... I have no doubt that she will. Bless you, Fiona, and Godspeed to you and Janet...

November 24, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  115. Max

I hope you and Michaek Vick are eaten by dogs.

November 24, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Medicine Man

A lack of compassion for other forms of life is a prerequisite for sociopathic tendencies – and for being a troll. Either way, it's a major personality disorder. I recommend that you seek treatment by a medical professional.

November 24, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Sam

Settle down and swallow your bitter tears, Adolph.

November 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Joanie

Obviously you have never loved a dog. You probably have never loved anything except yourself. You are a sad person who will not be missed by anyone or anything when you pass on.

November 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |