November 13th, 2012

Kelly Clarkson: I can't listen to my old stuff, the autotune 'kills me'

You may be a fan of Kelly Clarkson's older hits, like "Since U Been Gone" and "Miss Independent," but the 30-year-old singer herself would rather tune out.

"Sometimes, I can't listen to really old school songs ... because they just use so much autotune when it's not needed that it kills me. I can't listen to it," Clarkson told CNN. "What I love about that though is on songs like 'Miss Independent,' not only was it autotune, I just sounded different, I sounded so young."

But considering it's still a favorite of hers as well as her fans, Clarkson included a live version of "Miss Independent" on her first greatest hits collection, "Greatest Hits: Chapter One," which is due out on November 19.

And while the record does include some of the break-up songs that made her an even bigger name in music after she won "American Idol" 10 years ago, Clarkson these days is in a happier place.

The Texan professed her love for boyfriend Brandon Blackstock over the summer, and she explained how her relationship has impacted her music.

"'Don't Rush,' that is on the U.S. album, and I would have totally not picked that song before because I would have been, 'that's cheese.' Now that I'm living cheese and I'm in love, I totally love it."

But for those who crave Clarkson's singing about love's darker sides, she jokes, "I'm sure Brandon is going to piss me off at some point."

1. johnrf

That's ok Kelly, I can't stand to listen to any of your music....

December 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. This is Jim Kerr and the Morning Crew

on 95.5 WPLJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 2, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. When I'm out on the street....i walk and talk the way i want to walk and talk

Put on your best dress baby

Pretty girls, they're all passing by
    From the corner, we give them the eye

Baby, out in the street I just feel all right
    Meet me out in the street, little girl, tonight

December 2, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. THE MORE YOU EFF UP MY BLOG WITH TYPOS

THE MORE I CUT AND PASTE...

December 2, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. this jim kerr and the morning crew!!!!

on 95.5 WPJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 2, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. i lover her too man..

ha

December 2, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  7. that was funny L

December 2, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  8. Reposted: Your can't brainwash me...(i)

kelly clarkson is a drip and deadwood. she's sloppy for a young woman. simon told her 1,000 time clean up.
    the voice is fine..the look is lousy. that is what is going to ruin things for her...she looks like an idiot.

she has to watch her weight she has very large hips and simon will tell her right to her face that she's a lardo.

December 2, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
    • johnrf

Exactly what is wrong with today's music. If you judge singers by how they look you are not a music fan. Remember Janis Joplin, Mama Cass Elliott...

December 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Your can't brainwash me...

kelly clarkson has a drip and deadwood. she's sloppy for a young woman. simon told her 1,000 time clean up.
    the voice is fine..the look is lousy. that's is what is going to ruin things for her...she looks like an idiot.

December 2, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. vocal range is incredible...

breathing and lung power is amazing....carrie is a softer singer it could work however changes need to be made.

December 1, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |

Pretty girls, they're all passing by
      From the corner, we give them the eye

Baby, out in the street I just feel all right
      Meet me out in the street, little girl, tonight

December 2, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. mikel74

Anyone with a good ear for music can't listen to any of your dribble, new or old!

November 27, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
    • greg

While I would not call myself an aficianado, Kelly Clarkson is one of my favorite voalists. I enjoy a wide variety of music, including county, classical, rock, r&b and pop. She has a style unto her own which I really enjoy more than any other vocalist. To say that "Anyone with a good ear for music can't listen to any of your dribble" only belittle's youself as being close minded. While I do not enjoy rap of any flavor, I wouldn't disparage any rap artist just because I don't like them, that's just me. Others do like them. Like all art, you will admire something that someone else hates, and vise versa.
      Stop the hate!

December 1, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
      • mikel74

greg, I simply do NOT enjoy her music. I listen to a full spectrum of music too. Heck, here I am twenty years after my high school years and I'm listening to genres of music I never would've dreamed of back in 1992 or didn't even exist yet. There are some artists/musicians that you will not like even if the politically correctness in you says we must love every musician that gets spewed out from the musician industry.
        Now as an example, I enjoy Elton John, more so 70's and very early 80's but when, "Benny and the Jet's" comes on the radio I just cringe until it's over.
        Love Kelly with all your heart but know that by proclaiming to "Stop the hate" only makes you look like a numb-fingered fan boy that probably voted for her via telephone back a decade ago and not such a professed music toned ear.

December 2, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • mi*L*

i lover her music its one of a kind don't you think?

December 2, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • my english?

have you ever seen jiggaboo's english, or that white guy who thinks he's a rapper.....what about that racist on nikki
      she doesn't write well either...you know the one who's playing da race card?

haaaaaaaaaaa

December 2, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  12. thoughtsaspew

Reblogged this on Thoughts Aspew and commented:
    I realize this is adding to the haterade, but I never did think much of Kelly Clarkson's musical catalog. Frankly nobody from American Idol is really that good on their own.

November 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tom

So Kelly Clarkson is too good for autotune, but in the next breath she waxes poetic about "choosing songs" for her album, rather than writing or composing them. Whatever.

November 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • sTEVE

Uh...yea? Choosing songs for her "Greatest Hits" album?

Did you not read it? Or simply fail to comprehend it?

November 24, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. i have the "top"

when she startS bash 5 more times.

November 18, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  15. Rock

awwww, whats wrong? The songs that other people wrote for you arent good enough now? That picture almost made me think I was looking at that other idiot, Axl Rose for a second

November 15, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  16. dan

autotune is a REQUIREMENT for rappers and pop.

November 15, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Posers

It's a requirement because they do not have the talent to sing without it.

November 15, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • johnrf

what the heck is autotune? I'm guessing they use a computer to make her sound as if she can sing? Kind a like those new groups you see on SNL and wonder where all the music is coming from since there are none or just a few people on stage with instruments and you know the vocalist is probably just lips synching. American Idol has nothing to do with music and has done much to harm music. There are better vocalists living within 10 miles of your home who are better than anyone who has ever been on idol. Pathetic...

December 4, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dave

It's OK Kelly. Most of America cannot stand to listen to ANY of your stuff old or new.

November 15, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Devara

LOL – exactly!

November 15, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • BurntFur

I saw her on this past tour, because it was a date. She doesn't have any songs I care to listen to but she did put on a good show, and she can actually sing, even if I find the lyrics a bit shallow (I'm a Cure fan–she's never going to have anything on them in the miserable relationship department). My only issue with her is she needs to stop wearing other artist's t-shirts on stage and be herself. When I saw her she was wearing a Def Leppard t-shirt, had nothing to do with her sound or image. Here she's wearing a Jackson 5 shirt, same thing.

November 15, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  18. Cheryl Crow

is a great guitar player however she sings songs that she cannot hit the high notes with. she tends to struggle at times.
    not sure why she cannot just bring her voice down an octive. i saw cheryl along with stevie nicks at jones beach.

November 15, 2012 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
  19. She has perfect range

and her octave sound is perfect...she does not have the proper exposure plus her look is sloppy. simon i believe told her to perk up a couple of times.

November 15, 2012 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Proper_Octave?

Proper Octave?... Take it down an octive (octave, btw). There are too many people on here, who obviously know nothing about singing, making comments for reasons that I don't understand? Seriously, all you wanna be's passing judgement...get a singing career and then come back and post comments.

December 8, 2012 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
  20. You got that right

Yeah I can't listen to her [old] stuff either.

November 15, 2012 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  21. Matthew

Autotune: Helping mediocre talents pander hit recordings to undiscerning listeners since 1998!

November 15, 2012 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  22. The_Mick

Autotune adjusts a singers off-key singing so it comes out of the speaker on-key, but it also takes away the raspy and gutteral sounds that add personality and feeling to singing. Clarkson, Levine, Aguilara, Nora Jones, Sheryl Crow, and a few others are capable of really putting feeling into their songs like Patsy Cline, Peggy Lee, Roberta Flack, and others of past generations did. But when I hear things like Colbie Caillat (who's singing I like) hitting EVERY note perfectly (she NEVER misses) it makes me wonder if she's using autotune and removing some of the feeling from Bubbly, etc. Other singers who seem to have limited ranges and and sing songs that don't even span an octave come across as so plain vanilla.

November 15, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  23. dizzylucy

I like her voice a lot, especially on the more rock than pop songs.

November 14, 2012 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. TWITTERNZ T

U HAVE SHOWN ME NUTTN!!!!! XAN U COOK???

November 14, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • She can do everything in the home

your too focused on hurting me..so why bother to impress.

November 14, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mr. Lee

Like I said. She would be better off doing more singles, instead of soely concentrating on producing albums.

November 14, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kelly, Kelly, Kelly.

She needs more exposure...her voice can make a room shake, pitch, hits every single note perfectly.

She needs more press.

November 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  27. AJ?

November 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  28. hey fatso(s)

granny gown right? BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAA

LETS BRING THE LAPTOP TONIGHT BAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAA AJ?

November 14, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. are you a virgin?

baaaaaaawaaaaaaa–

November 14, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Don

It doesn't kill her, It makes her stronger.

November 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Danny

I can't listen to her old stuff too. And I can't listen to her new stuff either.

November 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Deb

Must be national troll week

November 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Mr. Lee

Who cares if she is healthy? My daddy always said that big girls are good, because you get heat during the winter, and shade during the summer. (just a joke) But anyway, she is alright. She needs to come out with more singles. I t hink she needs to have a duet with Kip More. The song would be called.... Stronger Than a Truck. Lol.

November 14, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  34. felix el gato

Cause it sucks, like all her music.

November 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • rob

Exactly

November 14, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • StevenR

I agree. She has a little talent but not one iota of anything special. Her old music bores me to tears AND the autotune makes me ill. As for her newer stuff – she has newer stuff? I started to ignore her almost immediately.

November 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Meh

Enough of these cookie cutter musicans who have no idea what it takes to make it.

November 14, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  36. High Pitch Eric

Hi – this is Kelly Clarkson

November 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Rock

Anyone who uses it more than a repair tool is killing music overall. If you need one of those devices, you just suck so get over it.
    Attention all studio engineers, remove these devices and save yourself some dignity by not dealing with these hack future-less "musicians"

November 14, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • t3chsupport

Sorry, but I doubt they can hear you over the sound of all that money they're making.

November 14, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • StevenR

Auto-tune was invented for Madonna. She could NEVER keep on pitch. She is the poster child for sleeping your way to the top.

November 14, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  38. jen58

never been a fan...i think her voice is average at best, don't understand why she still has a career.

November 14, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Justin Guarini

Her voice is as flat as her chest. I should have won.

November 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Krandal

I like Kelly Clarkson because she doesn't ever wear underwear. I think about it whenever I hear one of her songs, and it just puts me in the mood.

November 14, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  41. ProperVillain

I heard Kelly Clarkson singing years ago at a practice run for the Grammys. She is the real deal. Her voice is AMAZING live. For the record, she was testing the sound system singing a cappella. Say what you will, she is very talented. I write music and I would have her sing one of my songs in a heartbeat....

November 14, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Pam

The assinine comments here are a sad reflection on both the American Education system & the moral decline of our country. Hide behind your keyboards & whine away, little losers.

November 14, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Simon Caldwell

We can't stand to listen to ANY of your music Kelly!

November 14, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Jeffrey Homickman

I love Soda Pop Curtis!

November 14, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  45. Dave

Aww, auto-tune bothersome? She's a legend in her own mind. There is nothing special about anything she has done.

November 14, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom P

That makes 2 of us! I think her voice is OK but nothing compared to the great female artists in country and rock. She seems to be only able to survive by singing duets. On her own, I just don't feel it.

November 14, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  46. Eric the Midget

I.............love.............Kelly..............Clarkson.

November 14, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  47. brandon cloud

She needs to let me write a song for her then she'll be able to do whatever she wants with Music.
    Im already gone!

November 14, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  48. you didn't understand my santa messages. did you

proceed.

November 14, 2012 at 7:19 am | Report abuse |
  49. Snarf

Strangely, i didn´t liked that much of the first album.
    But i loved Breakaway.

But here recent albuns... i hated them.
    I have 2 originals from here: Tankful (my wife likes one of the songs) and a special edition of Breakaway.

I passed all the others.
    Breakaways is, by a very far, her best album. The ones she is making now are like crap music.

November 14, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |

I talk the way I wanna talk

Pretty girls, they're all passing by
    From the corner, we give them the eye

Baby, out in the street I just feel all right
    Meet me out in the street, little girl, tonight

November 14, 2012 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  51. she thought we were going someplace (s)

barf

November 14, 2012 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  52. kelly clarkson is a gutsy woman and has self esteem.

November 14, 2012 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
  53. hey

The Lord is my shepherd,
    I shall not want;
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
    He leads me beside still waters;
    He restores my soul.
    He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for His name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley
    of the shadow of death,
    I fear no evil;
    for You are with me;
    Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life;
    and I shall dwell in the house of the
    Lord forever.

November 14, 2012 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  54. lets have fun today

The Lord is my shepherd,
    I shall not want;
    He makes me lie down in green pastures.
    He leads me beside still waters;
    He restores my soul.
    He leads me in paths of righteousness
    for His name's sake.

Even though I walk through the valley
    of the shadow of death,
    I fear no evil;
    for You are with me;
    Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life;
    and I shall dwell in the house of the
    Lord forever.

November 14, 2012 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  55. she thought (s)

we were actually going BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

November 14, 2012 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
  56. she thought she got us to sign of...

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMISSUHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

November 14, 2012 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  57. GOTCHA FAT (s)

NOT GOING ANYWHERE....WE LOVE YOU BOO .

November 14, 2012 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
  58. heading to the cleaners now....

you have a good day.

November 14, 2012 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
  59. Santa

there is no acting today. we need to get your names to help other and the most important children need understand that there are good people in the world not this garbage. your slopping so it's been easy for us.

as soon as i receive those magical names....we will have all of this unhooked and out, we can't have people surrounded by this negativity. this is in poor taste especially when abusing innocent people. this however will end–if i have to report to
    abc-tv i will.

November 14, 2012 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
    • correction

correction - your sloppy and its been easy for us. remember your a nothing and i am something.
      your a nothing and i am something.. your a nothing and i am something.

November 14, 2012 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
    • grammar police

*you're

November 14, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  60. Santa

the good part is you do not function well and screw up all the time...we have traps all over the place but you are an abuser and abusers will be stopped and we will tell everyone who did it because this cannot happen to innocent people. I am something, you are nothing..remember that I am something you are nothing–when i confirm those name(s) we will have a meeting with the authorites and you will be unhooked from everything.

Your not in any type of power to abuse people. if you have a family you clearly do not care about then so there neither will we.

I really do not watch this crap never did...others have pointed out to me...so now...tomorrw, next month , next year...when i have the 2 names involved we will have a discussion. if its not "you" then carry on.

November 14, 2012 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  61. Remember as God as my witness...

i will have those 2 names.

November 14, 2012 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  62. Sorry that's life

we are sure its a male and female but we do not know who they are...we will find out who is in the laptop computer.

November 14, 2012 at 5:15 am | Report abuse |
  63. a kelly fan

I enjoy listening to her music. Shea better looking than most people (trolls) and I hope her career shoots high. I wish you the very best. Its not easy getting up early and working long grueling hours, day after day. You work hard for your money and you deserve every penny. Enjoy your amazing life!

November 14, 2012 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  64. I'm sorry...but until we talk to the hacker...

we cannot trust anyone right now. they are in 3 of the 7 computers.

November 14, 2012 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  65. u.s. slave

Songs are all corporate "Wrighters"Spew. Lots of people have a good voice and a lucky few make paper w/it but only lucky few in this world have talent and she aint one of them

November 14, 2012 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  66. Bent Dog

I love foooood!

November 14, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  67. Jill

I like KC but why does she have a greatest hits album already?

November 13, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Jock(t)

my peeps hate too ... but that's what makes things more exciting and intense in bed...you know what i mean?

November 13, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Doc

I think KC is HOT. So what she's a little on the chunky side. Bunch of haters.

November 13, 2012 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  70. we'll have our secret talks on our other phones...

November 13, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  71. poor kid

everyone feel sorry for him (t)–

November 13, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Babba Booey

I enjoy listening to her music while I poop.

November 13, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Stuck (t)

no choice right now.

November 13, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Him?

what choice does he have?

November 13, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  75. fat pig's here also (s)

get off the computer

November 13, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Dirty Sanchez

Is rim job one word or two?

November 13, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Beautiful Vixen

Well...do I come on here and disagreed with her music or make fun of her fat she os before my friend lol attacks me? I'm not attacking a fellow blogger now, i'm I?

Anyway, she's okay. Don't care for county music. As for her weight, she is somewhat of a little moose.

November 13, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Courtney

This is shame considering alot of her stuff in recent years is awful.

November 13, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  79. not a fan

Miss independent has too much autotune.....how ironic

November 13, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Jim Dandey

Because it SUCKS, just like her NEW music...

November 13, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

What a bitter, envious little troll you are. So much misplaced anger in you. Feel better now that you go that off your chest?

November 13, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  81. oooooookay

kelly clarkson is very talented and has a great voice...i saw her at radio city ..she's one of a kind

November 13, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Taking a gamble with a guy like that is worth it.

November 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  83. where you work you can't be rich

unless you steal it.

November 13, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Hawk

stfu...

November 13, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  85. ProperVillain

Typical d-bag response. The fact is she is hotter than anyone you could manage to pick up on, eh Jim33? Or you consistently date rail think ramp models therefore you have no idea what a real woman looks like. My theory has always been that dudes that like really skinny chicks should just come out of the closet and admit their preference openly. After all, with skinny girls you might as well be dating a man, same body type....
    Troll...