Arndt to pen screenplay for new 'Star Wars'
November 12th, 2012

Arndt to pen screenplay for new 'Star Wars'

It’s official: Oscar-winning writer Michael Arndt will pen the screenplay for “Star Wars: Episode VII.”

StarWars.com has confirmed that the “Toy Story 3,” “Little Miss Sunshine” and “Catching Fire” scribe has begun “story conferences” with producer Kathleen Kennedy and “Star Wars” creator George Lucas.

As Variety recently reported, “Episode VII” - previously referred to as “Episode 7” - which is due out in 2015, could feature “a much older Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo.” Though Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford haven’t signed on as of yet.

Fans, for the most part, seem pleased with Arndt writing the screenplay. One CNN.com commenter posted, “If he can tell a story correctly through screenplays, which he has given his previous credentials, then I have faith for episode 7.”

There’s still no word on who will be sitting in the director’s chair. However, according to J.J. Abrams’ recent interview with Hollywood Life, it likely won’t be the “Star Trek” director.

“Look, ‘Star Wars’ is one of my favorite movies of all time,” Abrams said. “I frankly feel that - I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big ‘Star Trek’ fan growing up, so for me, working on ‘Star Trek’ didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of ‘Star Wars,’ but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer.”

In addition to Abrams, MTV reports that fans have thrown Jon Favreau and Colin Trevorrow’s names into the ring, while another CNN.com commenter suggested, “Christopher Nolan should be Director!!!!”

What do you think of Arndt as "Episode VII's" screenwriter? And who would you like to see direct?

Filed under: movies • Star Wars

1. i got 64 committments from people in 48 hrs

how many do you have–
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

November 19, 2012 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. jellyfishdude

Guillermo Del Toro!!!!

November 19, 2012 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. jellyfishdude

Guilermo Del Toro!!!!

November 19, 2012 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  4. Times and Dates of these comments are being

read adjusted....this will be fixed today so it does not look like am the only one comments.

November 19, 2012 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. i need to put hot rollers in my hair tomorrow morning

before work to give it a better "bounce".

November 18, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jacob Burghart

Duncan Jones
    Brad Bird
    Chan Wook Park...... (hey I'd put money it being freaking great)
    Steve McQueen
    .....Ben Affleck.....................
    Rian Johnson (intersting to see him direct and not write)

I'll direct it. I'd move the series forward without pandering to it's already saturated history and fan base.

November 18, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. all of the dates are away for thanksgiving

that's why--

November 18, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. My gay lover (s) and I

watch it all the time....

November 18, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sebastian2

My wife and I absolutely LOVED Toy Story 3 (just watched it again last night, in fact).
    It is the "Empire Strikes Back" of the Toy Story trilogy, and I think Arndt would be a terrific choice to bring Star Wars back to life after it asphyxiated under the crushing weight of George Lucas' mismanagement for the last 13 or more years...

November 18, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jeans

directors have visions when they walk onto the set of what they want. for this production there has to be creativity and personality and the right director has to be chosen very carefully. i've been directed in a couple of shows..you need
    to rely on your director. if your director doesn't have it together then production will flop.

November 18, 2012 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. Eric

I'd rather see a smaller director, not one with an established style. Someone who maybe had a hit with a smaller film. No one like Nolan, or Jackson, or Spielberg, or Raimi, or Abrams, all good directors, but all with distinctive visual styles that would overwhelm the film. No it has to be about Star Wars, not the director. Its a good start though. I am cautiously looking forward to it.

November 17, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Pants

Sam Raimi would be perfect for Star Wars. He did the Spider-man movies. Evil Dead. Quick and the Dead. Darkman.

November 17, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Scott Frock

David Twohy, he sets a great gritty mood.....good work with characters. VII will not be pretty, let's hope.

November 16, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. This fear of not saying hello

came from wacko productions gossip...this is not appropriate in making movies nowadays..sometimes we need to get the story straight and understand–now production meeting is clear and going forward kirstie will say hello or honk on the road.

November 14, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Now that Kirstie has a better guided direction of the production--

She will also say hello and honk at James when she sees him on the road.

November 14, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. we can work a schedule james....

call me.

November 14, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mike

2 things; first of all; I grew up watching Star Trek in the 70s and am a huge Trekker. JJ Abram's Star Trek was excellent and I'm looking forward to Star Trek Into Darkness. Second; my vote for director for Star Wars Episode VII goes to James Cameron. Sadly though I don't think it would ever be. Mr. Cameron always directs movie's he's written (and often produced and edited and did the story boards for and artwork and....). Also, I'm sure James Cameron has enough on his plate. Anyhow that's my 2 cents worth.

November 13, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  18. People are always going the ice route all the time

people go through things in life its not that they are icey maybe a relationship ended and they just didn't want to be bothered its not because they are a block of ice...they heal and they start living again.

November 13, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  19. Gene

Has anyone heard whether John Williams has been contacted?

November 13, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  20. grey

all he has to do is develop more grey hair and i will go crazy.

November 13, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  21. Erik

Hopefully we wont get any more speeches comparing skin to sand and rants on democracy like the last ones...

November 13, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  22. cooldaddysquid23

Joss Whedon or Peter Jackson for the first, Christopher Nolen or Darren Aronofsky for the second, and Stephen Spielberg or James Cameron for the third.

November 13, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  23. Trog

Please, Please Mr. Ardt have a scene where Jar-Jar Binks is shredded by meat grinder in the opening scene.
    and if possible, could we leave out the racial stereotyping typical of Lucas? Please and thanks!

November 13, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  24. BD

Spielberg or Joss Whedon.

Spielberg is an obvious choice, just have to make sure he doesn't nuke the refrigerator. Joss Whedon showed he easily has the chops with Avengers and could probably breathe new life into the series.

November 13, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  25. downbytheriver

Joss Whedon, of course. Peter Jackson would be awesome, but then it wouldn't be out for another 6 years.

November 13, 2012 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  26. dave

Christopher Nolan would tell an amazing story I'm sure, but I'm thinking James Cameron would bring the proper balance of story, excitement, and sentimentality required for a Star Wars movie. It should be epic in scope, but warm in feel. Nolan's movies are too cold for Star Wars. Spielberg would make it too happy-go-lucky, yay we're back in Jedi-land, much like Lucas. Either way, I hope whoever directs makes it more rough and rugged like the original rather than squeaky clean/antiseptic like the prequels.

November 13, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  27. John Spurlock

J.J. Abrams said he wasn't a Star Trek fan growing up.

Anyone who saw his Star Trek Movie already knew that...

Total P.O.S.

At least he won't be screwing up Star Wars, the way he has screwed up Star Trek.

November 13, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Buck

The new Star Trek movie was one of the best Star Trek movies yet. The only Star Trek movie that I'd say that is clearly superior would be Wrath of Khan. Anyway, everyone I know that's seen the new movie also liked it, even non Star Trek fans.

November 13, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Abrams' Star Trek rescued the ST series from the swamp of mediocrity that was created by Rick Berman and the old Paramount Brass. If a few unhappy fans want to go back to those years then I'm quite happy they aren't getting their way. Most people loved Abrams' Star Trek. Most audiences. Most critics. Deal with it.

November 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  28. neurotic jedi

Woody Allen for director!

November 13, 2012 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  29. Robert

OMG. Star Tours, another new adventure!

November 13, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  30. gobble

Freaking hilarious

November 13, 2012 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  31. chickenlittle

heyy

November 13, 2012 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  32. John

"Little Miss Sunshine"?

November 13, 2012 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  33. I want to see what the bald guy can do too.

November 13, 2012 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  34. Uh huh

What sad losers you all are.

November 13, 2012 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Buck

You're posting a comment to a CNN article about Star Wars. So you aren't any cooler than the rest of the commenters here.

November 13, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
    • LostinSLC

Because you are the top stud?

November 13, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  35. chi

I had a dream this morning(13-11-2012) about a scene from a new Star Wars movie in which many new characters were fighting in what seemed a final climatic battle which showed the good 'Alliance'and Jedi being killed and pushed back down the avenues of what looked like a ruined stone desert city( perhaps the stones were a natural formattion) by the overwhelming forces of the( Empire) enemy on numerous fronts. In the distance I saw what looked like huge worm-caterpiller like monsters which were wreaking havoc and roaring as they advanced upon the Jedi led army. In one scene I saw a Jedi who looked like Eric Bana ( the Australian actor wearing what seemed beige -golden garments) leading the Jedi and who, although wounded, was firing his blaster both at the enemy forces behind him but also at those bearing down front and then, after meeting up with another allied force, fleeing towards some stone buildings. I thougt this dream was sufficiently detailed and specific enough to post online for a laugh because I doubt it will ever happen.

November 13, 2012 at 2:20 am | Report abuse |
  36. §okman's Truth Is The Light

Benjamin Carland should throw is name in the ring for director. And Pino, keep fighting the good fight my friend. cnn will probably keep deleting your posts like they do mine, since now that the election is over they no longer have to pretend to be "fair & balanced". Dont be discouraged though, we will take Amerika back & return this once great country back to prominance, a Thats The Truth

November 13, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  37. Name*doctor spock

Peter Jackson

November 13, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  38. Admiral Anus

Lucas and Kasdan both had hair. I think it will be interesting to see what a bald dude can do with the characters.

November 13, 2012 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  39. bleh

David Petraus will direct the movie. That is why he quit his job at the CIA. The assistant director will be his biographer. The argument is over. Go to sleep.

November 13, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  40. chi

I had dream

November 12, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Eric418

Peter Jackson would be good, give it some life and story outside of the effects, which we know he can do. I know I just said it needed to be refreshed but I really would have liked to see Kershner get his hands on another Star Wars film. Rob Marshall I think did a better job with Pirates than Gore Verbinski, and I could see directing a well written script well. Anyone but Spielberg, or even Nolan for that matter. Spielberg won't take it seriously and Nolan will turn it into some grotesque convoluted pretentious mess like The Dark Knight Rises (not that I dislike Nolan I just think he needs about 5 years off).

November 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  42. jason

Allow me to retreat to my nerdery for a moment and politely correct mr JeffAllison. While correct about the other items,Darth Maul actually survived or was ressurected somehow and fitted with a robotic lower half. I actually think the person was being a dope.

November 12, 2012 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric418

Yeah let's keep fan fiction away from this too. Even the fan fiction that was published and indoctrinated as canon, let's just pretend doesn't exist so we don't get a stupid movie that only real die hard fanboys enjoy. This should be offered on a universal level like the original trilogy was otherwise it'll turn into another disaster.

November 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christopher

This is not fan fiction, Darth Maul did survive and was featured in The Clone Wars on television in the configuration described.

November 13, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  43. gd94134

Speilberg is the Jedi Master of Directors! And he and Lucas get along like cake and ice cream!

November 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric418

NOOOOOOOOO!!! Keep them away from it! This has to be refreshed or else it will be a repeat of the prequels! If you put Spielberg in it it'll end up like Indiana Jones 4!

November 12, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  44. The_Oracle

David Fincher! A New Hope!

November 12, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  45. The_Oracle

Nolan, Christopher... is the only option to get my money and time.

November 12, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  46. darthJoe

Whoever it is I hope they don't do the simplistic "Empire bad, Republic good" shtick. I think there are many fans of the Empire and we want another bad ass darth to cheer for.

November 12, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Yayayaya

I got three words for you, well actually one letter and two words....If you want to get technical one letter a period (.) and two words...

M. Night Shyamalan

You can't go wrong with M. Night Shymalan.....No, not seriously....

November 12, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Jelectrician

Martin Scorsece or Sylvester Stallone. Wait...Ron Howard or Steven Spielberg.

November 12, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  49. homecareconnect

How about Tim Burton? Darken things up a bit.

November 12, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jesse Patino

Yeah, I would say Christopher Nolan hands down obviously with George Lucas's collaboration.

November 12, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Melissa

I'm not sure what to think of this. Without Lucas writing, hopefully it will be a good series of movies. I'd love to see Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill reprise their roles. I'm willing to bet that HF and MH will agree to it, but I'm not so sure about CF.

Regardless, it can't possibly be worse than the prequels.

November 12, 2012 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jim

How about Duncan Jones.

November 12, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Leia R.

Whedon and Smith would have been good choices, as well as young mystery/suspense writer Thomas Faster who wrote Death Will Not Take Me Alive. Let's just hope Arndt does a great job, he deserves a chance at least without being bashed beforehand.

November 12, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  54. StarWarzKidz

Oh,I LOVE Star Wars!!!

I hope Anakin,and Darth Maul and Darth Vader are in the new movies!!! They my favorite characters!!!! And so are some other guys who I dont really remeber the names lolol :3 But Anakin is so cool!! Right?

November 12, 2012 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • JeffAllison

Are you kidding? Darth Maul is dead. Darth Vader is dead. And Anakin and Darth Vader are the same person. What are you, 5 years old? Or retarded? Or both? Geez, don't post in ignorance.

November 12, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Big Night Ahead Again Right?

lol

November 12, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Donkey Party

Pino- How many unwanted children have you adopted? None? That's what I thought. Shut the eff up and keep your Sharia Law to yourself, loser.

November 12, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Donkey Party

It's ignorant, illiterate, racist goons like Pino that the GOP and conservatism are on the fast track to extinction.

Peter Jackson, or Speilberg would be my preference.

November 12, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Mcas34

Give the director spot to an up and comer so we're not watching "Aliens v Star Wars" or "Avengers v Star Wars" or "Clerks v Star Wars".

Recast the principles and avoid the obvious names and faces.

Do the "Heir to the Empire" Triology.

Rake in the cash.

November 12, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • yearoftherisingsun

I would both be extremely excited and terrified for that. I love that story line but I'm not sure it could be done justice. Also, I think Mark Hamill might just be too old at this point to be anything but an aging jedi leader.

That being said who could they cast to play Grand Admiral Thrawn?

November 13, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  59. steve

tony scott would be perfect

November 12, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1234

All fine and good, but, has anybody been following the stuff going on along Euphrates River and the book of revelations in Bible. People get ready!

November 12, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mcas34

Hey, 1234, scroll down a bit and read what Pino wrote. Maybe you two could go in together on a bunker and sharpen your bayonettes while the rest of us go on with life in the real world where the flying spaghetti monster isn't coming down from the sky to get us all.

November 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Jar Jar Binks

Mesa called Jar-Jar Binks. Mesa your humble servant.

November 12, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Mordac

As long as George Lucas never spends another minute at the keyboard, all will be right with the world.

November 12, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  62. laurentdowell

Ithinklucasandspielbergshoulddirectthefilm

November 12, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Patrick

Guillermo Del Toro would be an interesting choice.

November 12, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  64. chewie

sorry a$$ michael bay

November 12, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  65. jason

Cmon,everybody! Lets make this REAL interesting. Why not an oliver stone/quentin tarantino collaboration? Can i get an amen?

November 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  66. jason

Cmon everybody,lets make it REAL interesting! I think an oliver stone/quentin tarantino collaboration is in order. Can i get an amen?

November 12, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Rhiannon

Jon Favreau is an excellent choice or they could bring someone from Disney like Jerry Bruckheimer.

November 12, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Godfrey Grey

Yes, yes! Godfrey Grey at the fray again. All I know is that as long as there are interplanetary explorations taking place, Godfrey Gray will go to the popcorn palace and chaw on a dog for shucked the click duck all ways to the eighty eight degree parallel!!!!!!! (Boo-yeah ka sha, and I eats the DOVER SOLE for the $16 upcharge, my friends.

November 12, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Rope

The old wazoo is back again, eh? I don't know about you, but I don't give a dang hot potato to get me some of that star wiggity. If I was JJ Abrams, I'd jump all up in the business for a chance to be in the 400-meter individual meter medal medley, but I'm not JJ. I'm also not Godfrey Gray, my esteemed advisor. (This has not been a paid endorsement for Sure Shine Car Wash)

November 12, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Pete

I think we are all looking at this wrong. I think perhaps a no name director would be a better fit. Lets use superman returns as an example. Bryan singer was fabulous for x-men correct? We got all excited when it's announced he is going to direct the superman movie, then he totally screwed it up. I say we give someone with something to prove, someone who is hungry someone who loves the franchise enough not to mess with it, but also not want to give George Lucas a reach around while doing it. Broaden your horizons. Just cause some directors hit it big with movies doesn't make them the best for the job.

November 12, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Rope

Pete, I don't think IM looking at it wrong. You may be though. Thanks for admitting that. And now, I must be going back to the place where I can buy the Jell-O pudding pops!

November 12, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • james

I loved Superman Returns.

November 12, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Denicio

JJ..you say you did not like/watch Star Trek as a kid? No kidding. Those of us that did could tell you had no idea what you were doing. That movie was terrible on so many levels. Glad it was a one off for him. As for the new star wars...with Lucas and his army of ass kissers out of the way we may get a watchable film since Empire!

November 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norman

The new Star Trek was hailed by critics and fans alike as a masterpiece-let me guess-youre just some 70 old year bitter redneck in a trailer, right? "Them durn whippersnappers changing my star trek!!"

November 12, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Some Guy

Its probably going to be Gore Verbinski... Unfortunately.

November 12, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Chad

Joe A. you're an idiot!!! No way Disney would entrust a stoner like Kevin Smith with anything as valuable as the Star Wars franchise!!!

November 12, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  73. uysfl

M. Night Shamalan would be good. Peter Jackson would be even better. Quentin Tarantino would take the cake!

November 12, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norman

youre way off-shamma lama ding dong peaked at The Sixth Sense. Quentin peaked at Pulp Fiction. Now way they are getting their grubby hands on Star Wars!

November 12, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Andrew Hamm

I'd love to see Joss Whedon directing "Star Wars," but "Avengers 2" is slated to come out the same summer, so I don't see that happening.

How about Brad Bird? He brilliantly combines the amusing with the touching, and his action sequences are stellar. I really can't think of a better option.

November 12, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linc

Brad Bird would be excellent, but the idea of him directing it was apparently "squashed" because of the Clooney movie. Frankly, they keep on syaing how "secretive" this Clooney/Bird movie is, yet it apparently "can't be Star Wars", even though it is Disney. I say bogus, Clooney would be a great person to include in a Star Wars film, but he needs a list of instructions of what not to do in the movie – delete all of the "Clooneyisms" that would take us out of a Star Wars film, similar to what Terry Gilliam did for Bruce Willis in Twelve Monkeys.

Actually, has anybody put forward Terry Gilliam?

November 12, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  75. George Lucas

I'm proud to announce that I will be directing Episodes 7, 8 & 9, and possibly 10, 11 & 12. All future movies will center around Jar Jar Binks. Episode 7: Jar Jar Goes to the Zoo, Episode 8: Jar Jar and the Teletubby Incident, and Episode 9: Jar Jar, Philosophical Expositions. The last one is 4 hours long, but it will be in 3D.

November 12, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rhiannon

as long as Jar Jar gets a spectacular wardrobe, food catered, and a limo, and it's in 3D, and a full orchestra soundtrack it will be the best

November 12, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Hugh Jass

JJ Abrams? I hated his Star Trek and found it insulting to fans. I once thought LOST was actually telling a story, so I give him props as a con man; there were people who watched it all the way to the end!

November 12, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Sam Heinous

Ang Lee should direct episode 7!

November 12, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Joe A.

Those directors would be great choices, but how could the names Joss Whedon and Kevin Smith not be thrown into the ring. Smith would get my vote!

November 12, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linc

I think it's fair to say that Smith would be a terrible choice. Not a bad director, but not a good choice. That's like saying Natalie Portman would have made a good Yoda. Yes, she's a great actress. Yes, Yoda's a great character, but the coupling just doesn't always work that way.
      I like the comments that Abrams has made, suggesting that they should take someone on who doesn't have the same fan-investment that everybody else has. Unlike with Star Trek, that might be difficult, given that Star Trek was far more stoic and slow-built character driven, while still maintaining the ethos, it was a different beast with fewer fans in the upper echelons of Hollywood (hence Abrams himself not being a fan).

With Star Wars, I think it's fair to say that the stakes are higher: the film series is an established basis, unlike Star Trek, which is a TV series which has become more feature film driven in the last couple of decades, poising it with a wholly different dynamic. Abrams made Star Trek cool because he wasn't bogged down in the semantics of the series, and was blessed with a great idea for a reboot, but rebooting Star Wars is NOT what you do – Time Travel in Star Wars has never happened and it can't. So we ned someone to take on the series, seriously, but as Kennedy and Lucas put it in their interview, they want someone who is (in my words) a fan of the series.

November 12, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chad

Idiot!!! Go back and hit your bong again!!!

November 12, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  79. chicoandtheman

are you crazy? your response is completely non sequitur and off-topic?

November 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Xscape

You sir/ma'am, are an idiot.

November 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Hugh Jass

Aw, did someone's widdle Mitt let them down? I think they did! Weep for us, little Pino.

November 12, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  82. ManDeLorean

Talk about an incurable case of Obsessive-Compulsive Election Disorder...let it go, before everybody sees how stupid y...wait, never mind.

November 12, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Gigi

Da fuq?

November 12, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Ha!

Pino sounds like sokman. Full of venom.

November 12, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |