'Skyfall': One of the best Bond films ever?
November 9th, 2012

'Skyfall': One of the best Bond films ever?

At 50, the "James Bond" franchise is looking devilishly youthful thanks to "Skyfall," which sees Daniel Craig return for a third time as 007.

The Sam Mendes-directed feature is already making a killing overseas, causing industry observers to salivate over how it could perform in the States this weekend. According to Exhibitor Relations Co., the 23rd Bond film has crossed $320 million internationally since it opened October 26, and it's now the U.K.'s highest-grossing film of the year.

The film's reception has also been mostly positive - there are already rumblings of whether the Academy will take notice for Oscar season, and former Bond Sir Roger Moore thinks of it "as the best Bond ever made".

Joined by Judi Dench as M and Ben Whishaw as Agent Q, "Skyfall" sees Bond face off against Javier Bardem's satisfyingly outlandish villain, Silva. The cast - along with director Mendes, screenwriters Neal Purvis, Robert Wade and John Logan, and cinematographer Roger Deakins - has won over a vast number of critics, although there's a handful who are giving McKayla Maroney a run for her money.

"How do you make a 50-year-old film franchise new again? By letting it feel its age," said People magazine's review. "With wry geriatric jokes, a plot that strikes 007 right where he lives and even some throwback gadgets, 'Skyfall' gives James Bond a delightfully retro reboot."

"If 'Skyfall' is the new 50, James Bond is handling it remarkably well," said the L.A. Times. "Sam Mendes ... has upped the ante, the action and the artistry in 'Skyfall' without losing all the defining traits we've come to expect — and need — from Bond."

Variety thought this Bond entry puts "the 'intelligence' in MI6" as a "smart, savvy and incredibly satisfying addition to the 007 oeuvre," while Roger Ebert complimented, "'Skyfall' triumphantly reinvents 007 in one of the best Bonds ever ... If you haven't seen a 007 for years, this is the time to jump back in."

With so much positive pre-release buzz, the million dollar question is just how far "Skyfall" could go at the box office. ERC is pegging it at a $75 million-plus opening weekend, setting "Skyfall" on track to become the first Bond film to cross $600 million worldwide.

What do you think - is "Skyfall" as great as they say, or simply over-hyped?

Filed under: movies

« Previous entry
  1. Boo?

just let me know when i have to adjust my hair..kay?

February 4, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. DirectorDR98

February 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jerome2999999

This is by far one of the best if not the best Bond film I have seen to date and I have seen nearly all , Craig's bond is ruthless calculating a natural killer but still keeps the charm in my opinion he places exactly what an mi6 agent needs to be sure many will argue connery to be the best but honestly craig's interpretation is the best and this movie has all the elements that makes it a great compelling movie

November 25, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. We will always be there for Louie

and so will his other friends...he's a wonderful guy who was misread by alot of people and we will continue to give him respect when we see him at all times...i will make it a point now of saying hello when he is there and i will make sure all the girls make it a point of saying hello to louie....

November 13, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nick

A terrible movie. Who are all of these "people" who thought it was good?

November 12, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Nick,

Perhaps you should stick to 'Transformers' movies.

November 12, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hoffmaster

I agree with Nick. I was disappointed by this movie. I don't get why everyone else is praising this as the best bond film ever. Its not even on par with the latest Mission Impossible.

November 13, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  6. S & G

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?

November 12, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. joseph c smith jr

this is a great effort but far far from the ultimate or quintessential bond. It should be explicit standard: every new Bond must surpass the old beloved masters, honoring and growing beyond as a new vivid dream and adventure. Please imagination, fail us not.

November 11, 2012 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • revert234

Wow… My best friend Abigale has just announced her wedding with a handsome millionaire shortly after they met on~~~ RίċhWoo.c0m~~~ 6 months ago. This is a dating site where you can meet rich successful men and classy gorgeous women such as CEOs, athletes, doctors, lawyers, models, celebrities, etc….Maybe you can take a try

November 12, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. Thedore_Williard_The_Fourth_Of_TheWillard_Estate

It is quit obvious that this is not actually a great movie.Allow me to explain my rational:

firstly,In the movie 'Wall_E,there was a compelling story of love,romance,heartbreak and the most fluid annimatuon ive ever had the pleasure of witnessing.The great joy and sensations that occured from that viweing experiences was something that will last a life time,

the gun that Daniel Craig uses in said film is not an accurate portrayal of events that could actually take place.As said forth,non-accurate actions are not accurate.If non-accurate actions were accurate,they would be called accurate,and not non-accurate.

So in inclusion,this Film Skyfall,which is a film in the 007 James BOnd frandchise is not up to par with whtat he expectations were ands I have no choice but to say is sucked.

November 11, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. theosuperstar

I have to agree that this is the best Bond film to date. Daniel Craig was made for this role. None of the prior actors of the Bond role can hold a candle to him....

November 11, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Yea right

there are 4 more connections have you found them in the Bondette archive yet...

baaaaaaawaaaaaaahaaaaa

November 11, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jen Guyer

I loved this movie! Loved all the connections they made to the older Bond movies. Daniel Craig is the best James Bond!

November 11, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mitco/Mike Colaizzzo

We really love him!

November 10, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. those ears turn me on

i love a bald guy with big ears...grrrrrrrr

November 10, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. she gonna do her maxine...

keep it distracted so we can finally do it...

November 10, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. moribundman

Craig looks like a lemur in a suit.

November 10, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  16. NadicusMax

Javier ROCKS in this movie

November 10, 2012 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
    • NoDoubt

Agreed. He was a terrific villain. His last scene with M was riveting!

November 11, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  17. Lulany

I saw all the Bonds and Love Craig in the role but I have to say that after seeing Skyfall I don't see what all the hype is about. It was an excellent film but "The greatest Bond " ever?? I can't help but feel that it's somewhat overrated. Perhaps I set my expectations too high with all that I was hearing. Don't know, but Casino Royal is still far superior in my mind.

November 10, 2012 at 1:06 am | Report abuse |
  18. Jonathan Doyle

A classic on Day One, thid will be regarded as the best Bond film for Daniel Craig, if not the best up to today. The only thing it lacked was a Bond Girl for the playboy/romance aspect, but given the looming topic of Bond's age, the movie got away with it. Oscar worthy performance by Judy Denth and Daniel Craig alike, this will set the standard for the next Bond who takes the tortch

November 9, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Michael Colaizzo

Popcorn is good for a moivie.

November 9, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mike colaizzo

I love to eat.

November 9, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  21. John Sheeman

Michael Colaizzo is a Pig.

November 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Michale Colaizzo

My folks were Fat too!

November 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Teresea Colaizzo

Hey Fat Mike, lick my toes.

November 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Michael Colaizzo

I am the Bruce Toll of Atco new jersey.

November 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Michael Colaizzo

We need to love Robert Scarborough.

November 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Michael Colaizzo

We love Bond.

November 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. anna

I really dont know how anyone could say that Daniel Craig is the best bond ever.

He isnt suave or handsome enough to be Bond. He needs to take lessons from the Best, Sean Connery, or second best Roger Moore.

They didnt need to jump all over the place to get the job done LOL

November 9, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  28. haggis1991

im a huge bond fan, wife even got me the new 50 year box set. I saw this with my wife in Holland and I loved it. Craig, Dench, and Bardem are grat as well as Feines. I can't wait til it comes out on blu-ray so I can put it in its well deserved spot in the box set

November 9, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  29. Sherlock Mandango

I'm glad that Bond's is back on top!! Here's a comic about his Licence to Kill: http://www.cinemabums.com/?p=624

November 9, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  30. R hagwood

Nice to see Bond Back!!!!!!

November 9, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  31. Kevin

I was a very big doubter of the Craig/Dench combo for the Bond series some doubts were laid to rest in Casino Royale but others were raised in Quantum of Solace. I went to the opening midnight show to see it on the IMAX screen and one word comes to mind: Amazing! All doubts laid to rest and I'm a firm believer this is the best Bond film made to date. If you have a chance to see this on an IMAX screen I greatly suggest you do so.

November 9, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  32. Dr. Yes

the bond women are not maneaters.

November 9, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  33. Dr. No

which one was that one?

November 9, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  34. Robiname

I've seen every Bond film made starting with Dr. No in 1962 and I think this movie, Skyfall, is the best Bond film ever. There are the usual things you expect to see in a Bond movie, women, clichés and action scenes, but the best part of this film is the excellent way they tied the old Bond films into the new and laid the groundwork for the next 23 Bond movies to be just as successful. Whether you've been to every Bond film made like me or this is your first you won't be disappointed.

November 9, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  35. Snorlax

Bond is a liberal stooge. Just sayin.

November 9, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  36. Nostra

Agree with Ebert, this definitely is one of the best Bonds there is with enough things to keep the fans of the old Bond happy.

November 9, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |