Brooke Shields speaks on mom's passing
November 7th, 2012

Brooke Shields speaks on mom's passing

Teri Shields, who served as both mother and manager to her model/actress daughter Brooke Shields, died last week in Manhattan at the age of 79, the New York Times reports.

A rep for Brooke told the paper that Teri had long been battling an illness associated with dementia.

Born in Newark in 1933 as Theresa Anna Lillian Schmon, Teri was nearly as famous in the industry as her daughter because of the firm grip she had on Brooke's career from a very young age.

Having worked as a makeup artist, hair stylist and a model herself, Teri stepped into the role of Brooke's manager when her daughter was born. (Teri's brief marriage to Brooke's father, Francis Alexander Shields, ended in divorce a few months after Brooke's arrival.)

With her mother's management, Brooke booked a gig at 11 months in an Ivory soap ad, and her career grew to include advertisements for Breck, Colgate and Band-Aids as well as more risque moves such as her work for Calvin Klein jeans and her role as a child prostitute in 1978's "Pretty Baby."

Teri was aware at the time that some viewed her "as a stage mother, a frustrated actress living through Brooke and even a one-woman film-wrecking crew," as she told People magazine in '78. "They can say what they want about me. But Brooke can't fight back. That's why I'm here. I'm not a stage mother. I'm Brooke's mother. The most important thing is that I love Brooke, and it's fun to make her happy."

The pair's relationship reportedly grew strained as Brooke aged and began to manage her own career when she was in her 20s.

Now 47, Brooke Shields told CNN in a statement that her mother "was an enormous part of my life and of who I am today. I loved her, laughed with her, and respected her. And although she had her share of struggles, she was my mom."

Aside from Brooke, Teri Shields is also survived by her sister and two grandchildren.

1. [day|days|calendar|list of date|about|more]

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information particularly the final part :) I maintain such info a lot. I used to be looking for this certain info for a long time. Thanks and good luck.

December 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sorry To Hear It Brooke But--

Brooke's mother was a very controlling woman and i believe someone said they did not speak for years...which was the truth.
    Her mom was really tough on her. Losing a parent is probably one of the worst feeling anyone could ever have however her mother was a not a very nice woman and they had alot of problems being mom and daughter.

November 10, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. sockpuppet1984

after reading all of the comments that are so sorry for the loss of this "mother" and thinking that Brooke must be in a tremendous amount of pain, I have to wonder if any of you have the slightest clue about what her mother subjected her to. She pimped her nude prepubescent daughter out for money. Brooke stopped talking to her for years. I doubt she's bawling her eyes out right now.

November 9, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. Paul ?

watch that tv now ya hear?

November 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Paul

On a serious note, I think Brooke turned out incredibly good considering her mother. I'm about Brooke's age and remember her controversies (Pretty Baby; "Nothing comes between me and..."). I also have spent thirty years believing her mother was the one who pushed her too hard, and in directions not morally right.

November 8, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Paul

Personally, I think Brooke Shields' face is becoming more bony and solid as she grows older. In fact, I believe she is developing an exo-armor like an ancient triceratops.
    I am 47 years old and unemployed. I am sitting in my basement reading junk on the internet. This may be the last post I make in complete sentences. I am going mad.

November 8, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • WentMadButCameBack

I've been there. The interwebs will drain your life force. Get up, go outside, take a walk. It'll help.

November 11, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jrod

Ummm

November 8, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jay Berkman

I want bernard mdoff in a Cage match no-holds barred. This thug has been eating Nova and laughing at the rest of us.

I want to rip his throught out.

November 8, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Leon Peris

Reds Galman helped my son David, become a man. I am proud that together they own a Casino in Reno.

November 8, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Arlenne

it's sad to loose your mother at any age. I'm very close to my mom so I feel Brooke a lot. I pray that Brooke will be okay. I know she'll miss her mom but just know the great things she left behind. that her mom is in Heaven where there are no pains or illness. just peace of mind.

November 8, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cindy

To Arlenne and Glynne1964 : Correct spelling is LOSE !! Not LOOSE ! Also, you donot know this woman went to Heaven .

December 5, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. now look at Brooke

almost 50 and gorge...it can be done ladies...carrie fisher get with it!!!

November 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MacInBlack1970

My sincerest condolences to you Brooke. Stay strong sweetie.

November 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Removed.

November 8, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. KATHLEEN

Where is the MODERATOR? There are multiple comments that are racist and inflammatory. REMOVE.

November 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Meh

Love ya Brooke

November 8, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  16. brooke

i hope she will recover from losing her mother..i have 2 friends who have just lost their mother and are trying to cope with their situation. once you process this you will be able to deal with it and move forward. you mothers energy will
    be the force to keep you moving forward in life.

November 8, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  17. lili

wow Glenn, you can actually write, nice rythm and flow, just too bad you only write trashy stuff though. There is a place for your style of writing, but we can all agree it is not here, so why don't you take your dirty art somewhere else!

November 8, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  18. glennwharris

2 jesus 4 american.

November 8, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  19. Bobby K.

May the good Lord give you the strength you need in the comeing days. I have walked in your shoes and it may not seem so now but this to shall pass.

Prayers and Best Wishes

November 8, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  20. Em

To whom it may concern: those whom type up real sick perverted things do not belong here nor those using the N word. Seek help! You need it!

November 8, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
    • cooper

Em, although I agree with your post completely, those people will never seek help. They don't think they need it. They will get old and die alone, then will wonder why people don't care for them. Really sad.

November 8, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  21. Em

Sorry for your loss! Just be glad that your mom was that way for she kept you safe!

November 8, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  22. Em

@ Uh huh
    That is Messed up you calling Obama the N word! Looks like you Need to go back to School and learn more on history! I am white and I hate when people you that N word! God made us,so let people live no matter what color they are for the blood it is all the same color!

November 8, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  23. Cheryl Lopez

Brooke,
    I lost my Mom 11/12/2008. I took care of her until her passing. I am sorry for your loss. There is something about losing your Mom that will change you- for the better once the grief is gone. I miss my Mom a great deal and each year as we near the date, funny , I always get a cold that keeps me in bed a few days! I light candles on the date and find myself talking to her alot as the day nears You will find peace, You have your babies to keep you strong! God Bless!

November 8, 2012 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
    • William

There something about losing your mom. I lost my mom almost 2 years and I still think about her everyday.

November 8, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  24. Mia P

I love Brooke S and I'm so sorry that she have loss here mom may she RIP my prayer go out to her and her family. May God Bless You All

November 8, 2012 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  25. lady bam.

GET A LIFE PEOPLE! U R IN DA WRONG BLOG! TAKE UR RACIST ASSES OUTTA HERE!!! MAY SHE REST IN PEACE TERI SHIELDS. BROOKE GOD BLESS 2 U N FAMILY;-)

November 8, 2012 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
  26. Robin

Give the woman a break she just lost her mother manager and bestfriend give her sometime to grieve i am sure she thanks all of you for your condolences seriously she does not want to hear about anyone else's moments right now she thanks you now let her have private time with her family and grieve and go through the emotions on her own she is a strong beautiful woman thanks to her incredible mother who will be deeply missed

November 8, 2012 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  27. John

Without Teri we would never have known how tantalizing Brooke really was at 14, or how untantilizing she was at 11 in pretty baby.

November 8, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  28. Ana

Yeah, Brooke’s mom was reported throughout the years to be a hardass but Brooke has been in an ugly industry to children since forever and has avoided the negative press and fate most child actors face. It is a testament to her mother’s will, strength and vision. To those that think Brooke hasn’t done much, she’s done a great deal. She has been a model, the star of a TV show, movies and has performed in theatre. Should you care to look her accomplishments are many. I’m sad to hear of Teri Shield’s passing. I have also read of Leif Garrett’s mom’s statements regarding Teri Shields and what she wishes she had done differently. In my eyes, Teri Shields wasn’t a hardass; she was a BADASS when it came to her kid. My condolences to the family.

November 8, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  29. Natural Canadian gal

Condolences to Brooke. In that industry you have to look out for your child...hence the reason Brooke never starved herself to fit someone's ideal,drugs don't seem to of been an issue for her, so I am thinking mom did ok. May she rest in peace and may Brooke remember the happy memories.

November 8, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  30. Yolanda Soliven GispinName*

I am relieved that BROOKE still respected her mom despite past rift in the relationship.

November 7, 2012 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Ron

I understand the pain associated with losing your mom. I lost my mom unexpectedly last month at age of 90. I feel for Brooke 's loss and she will be in my prayers

November 7, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  32. SkepticalOne

My condolences. I met Brooke and Teri on the set of Wanda Nevada many years ago. Teri must have been doing something right because Brooke was the sweetest teenage girl I've ever met, modeling and acting from a very young age and yet not full of herself at all.

November 7, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Glynne1964

My heart goes out to Brooke. I cannot imagine the pain of watching your parent suffer & loose the battle. I lost my dad 12 years ago to a massive heart attack. I still miss him greatly. The pain does lessen & you can move forward, it just takes time for those wounds to heal. God bless her!

November 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Lukas

I once had a 'situation' with Brooke and her mother at a cafe in NYC. I was sitting next to them . . . Brooke was a young teenager. I didn't know or care who she was as I'm in the entertainment business and deal with famous actors / musicians every day. I was trying to get my waiter's attention, simply looking his way . . . the next thing I hear is "would you quit staring at her?" . . . and some sort of "don't you think you are a little too old for her?" type comment. Hell I wasn't even looking at them! Of course we got into a verbal 'situation . . I realized at that time what Brooke had to deal with on a daily basis. It was brunch and her Mother already seemed like she was 'tight'. I hate to talk about her Mother who just passed but it was clear she was not the type person you wanted to be around.

November 7, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mrs.T

While I'm sure your one story is true. I remember seeing an interview with Leif Garret's Mother. She said how she used to think Teri was a control freak and how could she be that way. Then later down the road wished she herself had been EXACTLY like her. Because no one messed with Teri's kid. They certainly messed with Leif, giving him alcohol and cocaine at a young age, turning into the person he is today, a burned out heroin addict while Brooke is successful. Teri was the orginial Tiger Mother I guess.

November 7, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

C.O.N.T.R.O.L. Freak... I've heard that Brooke is almost the same..... Brooke doesn't really do much in the Entertainment arena so I'm wondering why she is so highly regarded.

November 7, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  35. jek

It's never easy to lose your mom. I lost mine last July and think of her daily. Regardless of the relationship with her past or present, it's still your MOM....peace and love Brooke!

November 7, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  36. ladyofargonne

Brooke is handling like a lady. Quite a beautiful woman she continues to be.

November 7, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Controlling

they have not been talking for years...were they talking in recent years....her mother was very controlling -

November 7, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Ruth A Mayer-Farella

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your mother passed away. I hope Brooke Shields will be okay, it take her time about a few months. I will pray for both. Take care and stay well.

November 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Daniel F. Smith

My Sincere Heart Felt Sorrow: I lost my Mother a little over a year ago. The pain does go away – but the memories stay alive. Peace&Prayers!!!

November 7, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Kevin Alexander

I cannot imagine the strain potential that close of a relationship could cause; pretty cool they managed it well and while I'm sure they probably had disagreements over the years, she can still say today, she loved her mom !

November 7, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  41. margaret

sorry to hear that she was very close to her mother...i hope she will ok.

November 7, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  42. jek

idiot..try to stay on topic

November 7, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Uh huh

Stay yo lips on my johnson.

November 7, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  44. OhRully

You must be a redneck who has relations with his family.

November 7, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Love

You are soooooooooo disrespectful! Why would you call anyone the n word? But you stoop so low to call our president!

November 7, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  46. edbermac

And you're a loser.

November 7, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  47. BobbaFett

Dude, why do you have to make us pro-Romney people look even worse? Man politics is so discouraging these days.. Its like people can't have any conservative morals or ideals without being lumped in with the likes of "Uh huh". So sick of it.

November 7, 2012 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  48. thomas

Wow. I think you may be a bigger fool than Donald Trump. At least he has money and a good command of the English language. Oh wait. Some of these words may be to big for you.

November 7, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  49. WTH

You seriously have many problems, and too much time on your hands.

November 8, 2012 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  50. mizh

Let's all hope you never procreate, you pathetic waste of skin.

November 9, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  51. Sabina

Get a grip!

November 8, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jrod

Have a drink dude

November 8, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  53. VelveteenLady

Your obviously extreme level of ignorance should be added to the list of the DSM-IV classification of mental disorders, do yourself a favor and STFU.

November 9, 2012 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  54. Patty

WHAT THE F******************
    do you own the place?
    get a life

November 9, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  55. Russ

And your point is.................

November 9, 2012 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |