Marissa Jaret Winokur: How I lost 60 pounds
November 2nd, 2012

Marissa Jaret Winokur: How I lost 60 pounds

Marissa Jaret Winokur's red carpet look at the premiere of Wreck-It Ralph" was fabulous - and fabulous at showing just how far she's come on her weight-loss journey.

The 39-year-old actress has been working hard since April to slim down, and she revealed to "The Insider" in a two-part interview that she's lost 60 pounds, going from a size 14 to a size 2.

The secret, she said, was committing to focusing on calorie intake versus calories burned with a healthy eating and workout program - and, OK, hiring a trainer and visiting a nutritionist.

"I have an amazing trainer," Winokur said. "I work out two times a day ... I'm really, really active. I think the biggest thing is that it's become my life."

In the beginning Winokur was working out seven days a week, but she's lately cut it back to five - around 45 minutes with her trainer, and then she'll do something else active, like hiking, tennis, or hitting the track when she takes her 4-year-old son, Zev, to soccer practice.

Revamping her diet also took professional help, and she consulted a nutritionist for guidance.

"I'm really good at cheating different diets. I've done it all ... every single solitary diet. This time is the first time I'm cooking for myself," she said. "I definitely talked to a nutritionist. If you say to me, you can have as much broccoli, I will binge on broccoli. But that's not right either. Everything has to be in moderation, or your body gets used to a big salad. Portion sizes are really important. In the last two months, I've been able to go to a restaurant and find anything now. You can get a dry salad and grilled chicken pretty much anywhere."

Although some of us dieters wish it could be, weight loss hasn't been a cake walk for the "Retired at 35" star, and there are times she has to force herself to get moving or she feels hungry. "This is not an easy thing," Winokur said. "I'm not like, 'Oh my God! I'm losing weight and it's so easy!"

So what keeps her motivated? Her decision to try and live a healthier life. A doctor's visit in April revealed that her cholesterol level was too high, and that she'd either have to lose weight or go on medication.

"That was my wake-up call most of all," Winokur told "The Insider." "I'm definitely not the person that's like, 'I'm going to lose weight to fit in a dress' or 'I need to lose weight for a boyfriend or a job.' I've had a great career. I'm happily married. I have a beautiful son. I've never felt like my weight defines me."

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. overnight computer activity..need the report.

June 16, 2013 at 5:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Loralee Geronime

Most people should aim for an LDL level below 130 mg/dL (3.4 mmol/L). If you have other risk factors for heart disease, your target LDL may be below 100 mg/dL (2.6 mmol/L). If you're at very high risk of heart disease, you may need to aim for an LDL level below 70 mg/dL (1.8 mmol/L). In general, the lower your LDL cholesterol level is, the better. There is no evidence that really low LDL cholesterol levels are harmful. ;-'^

Take care

June 16, 2013 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  3. i'm scared!

her face is cuter heavier...

November 6, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dick Guziniya

Your schwantz, perhaps, you copraphagic twit?

November 5, 2012 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sokman

And isnt an overweight woman losing weight the true role model for obese girls? Some chunky monkey on television saying "I'm fat & proud of it!" may make husky girls feel better about themselves, but they're not helping them, nor are they hardly role models. We as parents encourage the youth of today to strive for financial success & responsibility, so why do many parents not show the same standards for their children's health?

November 4, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sokman

Must be those "sympathy sizes" you hear about, where they basically sew a Size 9 tag in a Size 12 outfit. Instead of giving overweight people a way to lie to themselves about what they really are, why not give them motivation & encouragement to become healthier, happier people? And yes, their husbands would appreciate them more

November 4, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dick Guziniya

Bloat-gutted bimbo will have it all back on soon.
    WGAS about these nobodies?

November 4, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  8. hubby may like her as a size 14-161- whatever...

as long as they are true to each other and like the baff who cares.

November 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. True

what size do you think she is in a pair of jeans–

November 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  10. pthomas

She looks lovely. But she was clearly larger than a size 14. Looking ag the photos above she looks like she went from a 16/18 to an 8/6. Which is fabulous. But considering the growing obesity problem we should be realistic about body sizes.

November 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

I have to agree! She was NOT a 14 to begin with, she does look great, however!

November 6, 2012 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
    • JS

Could not agree more!! Certainly bigger than a 14 to begin with, and a size TWO now?? On what planet....size two is SMALL. Kudos for the weight loss, she looks great, but that is no size 2. That's about a size 8.

November 9, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dick Smegma

You mean what "are" her numbers.

November 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dick Smegma

More like Slim Jim, mist likely, you big stallion.

November 4, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dick Smegma

Doesn't sweat much for a fat girl.

November 4, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Leon Max Peris

My son David owns the Reno Gaming Hotel with Reds Galman!

November 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Descartes

By pooping in the shower we can help the environment, and also relieve our buttocks of irritation caused by toilet paper.

November 4, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  16. sierra

kathy, mean is unhealthy and ugly. The fat in my left rump cheek is healthier and more beautiful than you could ever hope to be. I would also bet that you'd not be able to keep up with me and my large full-figured friends.

Hate and holier-than-thou kills. Thankfully there is a cure.

November 4, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  17. turning over to snore another 1/2 hour

then getting my hair done

November 4, 2012 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  18. Aef Frumontoso

Q Ingin Skali Pnya K'kasih Yg Nrima Q Pha Ada Nya" Tapi Q Gx Mau Mnghrap Kan S'seorang Lg?...

November 4, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  19. 3K1

this lady has worked so hard to lose the weight...i hope she does it!

November 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  20. nope never cost her a dime....

November 3, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jorgette

she is doing a great job and she will get there.

November 3, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Times and Dates.

November 3, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  23. geo

Even if one is financially drained, one can have a disciplined exercise program, including pushups, situps, running etc.

November 3, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Big Big BellyPellulo

Love to eat Apple Pie!

November 3, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Gabriel Berk

charles Cohn loved Sphagetti and meat balss.

November 3, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Humbly

A size 2? Hhmmm. She looks more like a size 6. Which is a completely healthy size. Why don't they just say that?

November 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Stacy

When I lost 50 lbs, I weren't from an 18 to a 12, so how on earth could 60 lbs transform her from a 14 to a 2? Not realistic and by the way there is no way she was a14 in the before or a size 2 in the after. I really wish they would stop with mentioning the size its really all about staying healthy and you can be a size 12 or 14 & be healthy. For me a.2 is completely unrealistic and I am happy with who I am

November 3, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  28. John

To deny that it bothers most men when their ladies gain weight and to assume when they do those men are nothing but jerks for desiring differently is ridiculous. Gaining weight can affect the relationship on many levels – including whether or not SHE will be around for the relationship and for the kids. And yes, most men do appreciate in-better shape ladies. It's how many if not most men are wired – so get over it. Can we suspend that desire and have loving relationships? Sure. Millions of men do. Just as millions of ladies wish their men would make better choices for their relationship – including losing weight – yet stick it out. Fact: People from all walks who are at a healthier weight live happier and longer more fulfilling lives and will tell you – as the celebrity does above – it's worth the continued efforts to get there. Do it first for yourself? But the others who care about and love you will appreciate it too!

November 3, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  29. Steve

My friends have had great weight loss using the MYFITNESSPAL application. This is a free ap for Mac and Android devices. I'm not a rep for the producers of the ap. I was recently turned on to it myself. One friend has lost 30lbs in less than 6 weeks. Another who recently started has lost 7lbs in 1 week. It helps you watch calories without restricting what you want to eat. Hamburgers..pizza.whatever.

November 3, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  30. James

Who is she? Now excuse me while I take a massive dump.

November 3, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  31. Good4U

I Agree with jenna. maintenance weight wont be a 2 unless she keeps on such a strict diet forever. I lost 50 lbs 2 years ago went from 14 to a 5 and was a little too skinny so keep my maintenance weight at a 7 and i dont eat dry salad lol. Its all about balance. She will figure that out though she got the weight off and thats hard work..keeping it off sensibly is the thinking part! Kudos to you girl!

November 3, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  32. Name*Marsha

Marsha

November 3, 2012 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  33. lori paster

Good for her. So inspiring to see a fellow large bodied dame go from fat and fabulous to fit and firey fierce!

November 3, 2012 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Myfitnesspal application for mac and android may help.. It's free. Try it. What do you have to lose??

November 3, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Kathy

Fat and fabulous?? Biggest lie of the century. Keep telling yourself that. More like no self control glutton and dumpy fat gut and butt. I see you fat and fabulous people, who do you think you're kidding? It's disgusting American women wear their blubber with pride and exercise is picking up a fork. Go volunteer for the homeless and hungry. Maybe you'll learn something.

November 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Helmet Von shiezercheast

Poop on my face

November 3, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  35. Descartes

I pooh, therefore I am.

November 3, 2012 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  36. Descartes

I heard she poohs frequently.

November 3, 2012 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jenna

Size 2? I doubt it. Maybe for two minutes, but not as her maintenance weight.

November 3, 2012 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  38. Some Guy

So she should stay unhealthy to make sure these girls have a role model? Thats dumb, if anything the fact that she lost weight should inspire those girls to live their lives in a healthier way. Although we all can't afford personal trainers and nutritionists it is more meaningful if you get there with sheer self determination and a little research.

November 2, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Bruinsfan1969

I don't know. There are so few role models for "plus sized" young women. And when one does come along, they immediate lose weight and send a message of "unless you're skinny you're not beautiful".

November 2, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin

Of course anyone normal is practically plus sized. With all this vanity sizing these walking skeletons are shooting for 0 or 2. Thin used to be 5-6,7-8. I remember – I was there back in the day. We were thin then not emaciated.

November 3, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Oz

She was gorgeous heavy and she's gorgeous now.

November 2, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Kathe

She originated the role of Tracy Turnblad in the musical "Hairspray" on Broadway.

November 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Kate Neal

She looks great, but, she looks much older now than she did before. I always thought she was 10 years younger than she really was, but now she definitely looks her age.

November 2, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cece

I immediately thought the same thing! I didn't even recognize her when I saw the photo...it wasn't until I saw the before photo that I realized who she was. I always thought she was around my age (30) but now that she's REALLY showing her age. How strange.

November 3, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Fit mama

I've always noticed that for many women and men both, age 35 it seems, weight loss definitely makes them look older. Losing fat brings out the wrinkles. Take your pick! I'd still rather be fit. I'm sure so would my husband.

November 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • b

yeah they say when you are older and you get to your recommended weight you should add 10 lbs to that to keep a more youthful appearance

November 3, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  43. ???

Who is this person? What has she starred in? I have never heard of her before.

November 2, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Robin

Sad thing is that she thinks a chicken breast and a dry salad are going to satisfy her for life. You can't make a lifestyle change and stay blah. You can't sustain it. Low cal and high flavor works better in the long run. I wish her luck-it is hard. Oh starving isn't good either .

November 2, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  45. MrDude

Good for her bu this is not maintainable. Most people can't exercise twice a day for the rest
    of their lives.
    Something else is gong to have to change later on.

November 2, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  46. GoGo

Oops! SHE

November 2, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  47. GoGo

He looks much better heavy!

November 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  48. luciana

IM SO PROUD OF YOU GIRLFRIEND I ALSO STRUGGLE WITH OVER EATING (BORED) SO PROUD OF YOU KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK IM READY TO TRY HARDER BECAUSE OF YOUR STORY GOD BLESS YOU KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK IF YOU CAN DO IT SO CAN I WILL POWER

November 2, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Sharon Mahart

Lucky husband. Usually it's the other way around (before pic on the left). Get off the couch, ladies, and your men will start to remember why they were attracted to you.

November 2, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jena

You're a complete moron, Sharon.

November 2, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • SayHuh

Amen Jena. Sharon you're an idiot.

November 2, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robin

Sharon it is sad that you think it is important to look good and feel good just for the guy!! What century do u live in? I'm sorry that all the work you do on yourself-based on your opinion is for the guy in your life and not for you. What happens to you if he is no longer around?

November 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fit mama

Girls, the truth hurts.

November 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • b

there are more reasons to being attracted to someone other than their looks..that is probably the only way you two are able to keep your men is because you have nothing else to offer

November 3, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • SayHuh

Fit mama...another idiotic moron.

November 3, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • doesn't matter what either look like

as long as they get along and like to baff.

November 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  50. happytam

She looks great! But I have one complaint.... are they trying to say she was a size 14 in the "before" pic? There's no way. She's at least an 18 if not more.

November 2, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Best of luck to her

she was getting to heavy-it was time.

November 2, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  52. jane

she didn't become flatchested..thats great

November 2, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  53. WLM

She looks great.. Just hope she doesnt get too skinny cause it will make her look much older than she is...

November 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |