Bon Jovi, Springsteen to perform at Sandy telethon
November 1st, 2012

Bon Jovi, Springsteen to perform at Sandy telethon

As the death toll from Sandy climbs higher, some musicians are hoping to lift the spirits of those affected by the superstorm.

Jon Bon Jovi has pulled out of a European press junket in London to return to the States, saying in a statement, "I really need to get back home having spoken to my wife and kids who are stuck in New York, I need to be with my people. Thankfully, my family is safe."

The New Jersey native is eager to pitch in, noting that many rely on his JBJ Soul Kitchen, a community kitchen in Red Bank, New Jersey, for food.

"I need to find a generator and get that working. What can I do, I have to get there and find out. We take care of each other, that’s what we do," he said. "There is no power, water, the devastation is off the charts. The President is in my hometown in New Jersey because of the damage. It’s like Armageddon. Where my children surf, 80 houses burnt down.”

Bon Jovi will join fellow Jersey icon Bruce Springsteen in a telethon to raise support for the American Red Cross relief efforts.

NBC Universal's networks - including NBC, E!, Bravo, MSNBC, Style, Syfy, USA, CNBC and G4 - will air the event Friday from 8 to 9 p.m. ET with Matt Lauer on board as host.

"Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together" will air live on the East Coast, with a tape delay for the West. No TV? You can catch the telethon live on NBC.com.

Christina Aguilera, Billy Joel and Sting will also perform, with appearances from Jimmy Fallon and NBC News' Brian Williams.

Filed under: Bruce Springsteen • Celebrities • Music

1. eventagency11

An impressive post, I just gave this to a colleague who is doing a little analysis on this topic. And he is very happy and thanking me for finding it. But all thanks to you for writing in such simple words. Big thumb up for this blog post!

November 5, 2012 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. Manex75

President Obama hates white people......

November 5, 2012 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mel

I wouldn't pay 1 cent to see Bruce. Everytime his mouth opens to sing he looks like he straining so hard he's going to have a heart attack. The man can't sing, he just grunts alot. But maybe alot of idiots will go and raise money for the dopeheads that didn't evacuate even when they had a week of warnings.

November 5, 2012 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. bloggs are the usual bore

November 4, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Janet Belmont

the Juniors rock on!

November 4, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Charles Chester Cohn

Gabriel berk Esquire was my legal advisor on all my apartment developments.

November 4, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jack Clauss

Kirk douglas is 95!

November 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Isabel

I'm just praying for all those people in New York. First to turn to God and see God's mercy and love. Then to the Holy Spirit, I'm praying that help is organized and comes quickly. And finally to the people who are trapped with toilets that don't work, no water, no food, sickly parents and all that comes with people being caught offguard... so I am praying for the peace beyond human understanding to come over everyone.

November 3, 2012 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. tracie

New York is pathetic. Clean up your own mess of a city. Anybody who donates to this are retarded.

November 3, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • RegularGuy

I mostly agree. People build in flood zones and then are surprised when it floods. I know there were a lot of innocent victims of the storm, but did you see all those expensive vacation homes on the NJ beach and big boats piled in the street? I don't want a dime of my money going to bail out some guy's vacation home or beach. And don't these people have insurance? What is my money going to do for them? They already are using our tax dollars.

November 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hyman Roth

Why feed Madoff?

November 3, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Martin Kerr

Bernard Madoff should be executed.

November 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Larry Steinberg

I slip punches.

November 3, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Leon Max Peris

Buffet has foundations to avoid paying taxes, the olde fart will never die.

November 3, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Donald Peris

the Troll Warren Buffet gave no money to Red Cross.

November 3, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  15. livinginthemilkyway

bruce and bon jovi are the best ! gotta pitch in for the people who need help. we need to do it.

November 3, 2012 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  16. dawn

whereas I think its a nice gesture... i think it would be nicer if they would just reach in their pockets and donate!! alot of the people that follow them don't have money right now and alot more things to worry about!! you are asking the real people to donate which alot are SOING THAT with or without a concert... they should be reaching out to their fellow stars that are making millions a year and asking them to DONATE, DONATE, DONATE!! Stop expecting the real people to keep giving eveything they have....

November 2, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. No Joke Deb--Your So Right

i am serving people dinner this evening who now have nothing....are you bloggers doing anything?

November 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  18. uh Deb?

Hurricane sandy caused people to die and and caused people not have anything–That is fact and public information. your point of seeing this as a bother?

November 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Donald Peris

Mike Lohr taught my cousin David Peris all about numbers.

November 2, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  20. Gabriel Berk

charles Cohn was a big Philanthropist!

November 2, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  21. Sandy is The World Disaster

we need to be there for these people, they don't have anything their homes have been crushed they don't know where their
    life is going next. its really terribel

November 2, 2012 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  22. Derek12

A lot of jet skis and surfboards were lost! And there is sand on the roads! At the beach!

November 1, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Deb

People making fun of hurricane Sandy on here have a lot of nerve. I am in PA and went through the hurricane that night. My neighbors had damage, and people are dead. Its NOT a joke. People are suffering and have lost loved ones and or their property. So stop with the STUPID remarks. Im glad to see Jon Bon Jovi and other stars stepping up. I knew Jon would help, he always gives back and never forgot where he came from. I hope everyone can give what they can to help.

November 1, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • TriumphTheInsultComicDog

I usually make a lot of poop jokes on here. But on this subject even i can't. I do have a heart. People dying and lives being destroyed is nothing to joke about. Props to Jon and Bruce for once again stepping up to help others.

November 2, 2012 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
  24. mitt romney

To he ll with them. Quit whining and stand on your own two feet. That is the republican way. Help, help yourselfs, always looking for a handout.

November 1, 2012 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sokman

We take care of our own... Tell that to the victims at the Benghazi embassy.

November 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  26. yea ok

November 1, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Kevin Nivek

I hear Travolta's going to make a personal appearance and sing "Oh Sandy" from Grease.

November 1, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. kiki d

It's wonderful that they are doing this however, I'm in North Jersey and still have no power, cable, phone, internet, etc. at home. I'm fortunate enough to be able to come to work and have power but I can't stay here all night. So when will those of us that are actually STILL being affected by Hurricane Sandy be able to see this telethon?? Will they air it again after Nov. 9th which is the estimated time that power will be back on for us?

November 1, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin Nivek

I think the plan is to send Mrs. Bruce – Patty Scialfa – to every victim's house to do a personal performance. That way you can still say you saw Springsteen, and he gets to nail other chicks while his wife is out touring NJ.

November 1, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Ace

Hey, 2 dushebags for the price of one. Go f yourselves.

November 1, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Kevin Nivek

Bruce can get in on the fun too:

In Candy’s room, there are pictures that fell off of the wall,
    and to get to Candy’s room, you gotta climb over a tree in Candy’s hall…

November 1, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Kevin Nivek

Do you suppose Jon will change the lyrics to make them more relevant:"Ripped through my house, and you're to blame, you give weather – a bad name!"

November 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  32. lcleejr

thanks for giving back. those 2 in particular are known for helping when people are suffering. its great to see that certain celebrities and musicians step up when our country needs them.

November 1, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  33. What Can One Say

Hurricane Sandy destroyed so many homes, what will these people do?

November 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Robert

I hear Springsteen is going to sing a new song called: "Sandy was wetter than my girlfriend".

November 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  35. DrBill

I wish Springsteen would get that under-bite fixed.

November 1, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  36. wonder

I wonder if Andrea Mitchell will criticize them like she criticized Romney for raising donation for the victims.

November 1, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

I think they criticized Romney for hosting a donation drop off for victims but buying all the donated stuff beforehand to make sure he got his picture taken with donations.

That kind of makes it a campaign event, not a donation work of good will.

November 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  37. JLT1220

TO those badmouthing Jon Bon Jovi...that man gives more than you know. Did you see the reference to the JBJ Soul Kitchen? I went to eat there in June..it is a restaurant that doesn't charge for their meals...it is donation only. You can donate money (they suggest $10 per person) or donate time serving, cooking or washing dishes. The meal includes soup or salad, entree and dessert. He had paid for a lot of it with his own money. He is a great human, which is more than I can say for a lot of you. Why don't you get your facts straight before spewing out your garbage words. Thank YOU to everyone who will donate, and to those donating their time to perform at the telethon.

November 1, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roberta

So the F what.

November 1, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

VERY WELL SAID !!!! Kudos to Jon...

November 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • JLT1220

ROBERTA: So tell me what you do for anyone in thise world.... You must be one of those selfish, lazy a*holes who has nothing good to say about anything, but you criticize everything! I feel sorry for you. If you don't care what these guys are doing, why did you click on the article?

November 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Hurricane Sandy

has caused misery to everyone...the loss of homes, the loss of everything they own and death. we must really pray for
    these people and hope they get their lives back together. Unfortunately they will haunted by Hurricane Sandy the rest of their
    lives.

November 1, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Beef Jerky

What exit do I get off for the telethon?

November 1, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hitashi

BAHAHAHAHA! the funniest thing I've heard all day....thank you :-)

November 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Bruuuuuce

We take care of our own. Wherever this flag's flown. From Chicago to New Orleans, from the muscle to the bone. From the shotgun shack to the Superdome.

Only this time, unlike when Bush was President, the cavalry didn't stay home and there are people hearin' the bugle blowin'.

November 1, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Bob

Sandy destroyed New Jersey's supply of spray tanner. They need to restock soon or the cast of Jersey Shore will move to another state! Donate your money now to keep Snooki and the gang from "spreading" elsewhere.

November 1, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

"They need to restock soon or the cast of Jersey Shore will move to another state!"

They already did move to another state. Several states to be exact. The retarded Jersey Shore actors aren't from NJ. They just film the show here during the summer.

The series has ended and the dimwits who star in it went back to where they actually live.

November 1, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  42. jer

so let me get this straight.... instead of donating their own millions, they are going to spend thousands to pander the masses for millions.... can someone tell me how they are doing something good instead of keeping their own cash in their own wallets?

November 1, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruuuuuce

So you can personally see into their bank accounts and see where their money goes on a daily basis? Boy, the FBI has a job for you! You're obviously too smart to be doing whatever job it is you're doing right now.... or wasting time on CNN message boards.

November 1, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

They're raising millions and you're complaining? Could you raise millions? Nope....because you are a loser....lmfao

November 1, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • JellyBean

Well aren't you just a bright little ray of sunshine.

November 1, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • BillSD33

Jer, if only you had added a K (make sure it's capitalized) at the end of your name, it would have summed up your post. Ignorant and and stupid are two other words I would use.

November 1, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • DP

Wake up Sir; not exactly a secret the huge amount of charity work Bruce has been doing for 40 years.
      Following is a list of charities to which Bruce Springsteen has donated his time and efforts, or his proceeds from recorded material

November 1, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jo-Ann

Just how do you know if they have not ALREADY donated some of their own? I would stake my life on that they had! And did you not read the posting about Bon Jovi's restaurant that he funded out of his own pocket that is donation only? Stop flapping your jaws before you know what you are talking about. Both of those guys have been there donating their talent whenever there has been a catastrophe. What have YOU done lately?

November 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  43. itsjustme

It amazes me how ignorant some people can be. Several of them have posted here!!! It is wonderful that Bon Jovi and Springstein are doing this. I am certain that any contribution in any way, big or small, from anyone will be greatly appreciated. It all adds up. Bless anyone who can helpin any way. If you can't help with a donation, prayer is always a good thing and goes a long way. I am grateful that I am on the giving end of this tragedy and not the receiving end. Stand united and help. Don't demean others. If you can't improve the situation in some way then get out of the way and keep to yourself. No one needs your negativity and ignorance. There is a lot of work to be done.

November 1, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  44. citizenUSA

Ohhhh, I can't wait for the appearance by Brian Williams.

November 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Music Man

Brian Wilson is a very talented musician and songwriter. Diss him with your ignorance. He made more money than you ever will and his music will be here long after you are worm food.

November 1, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  45. LMC1993

GOD BLESS YOU All who will participate in the "SANDY" teleathon as preformers. Jon Bon Jovi & Bruce Springstein: My heart and prayers are with your family/friends and entire New Jersey/New York Area. We together as a Nation can make the difference for those people in that region that greatly need us! BTW: Jon-"You will have a seat on the bench, next to others and myself" "Grandma said so, "A seat next to you"........Love always, LMC

November 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hurricane Sandy

what a devastation to everyone in the world–i hope people will be able to cope and not go over the edge because of Sandy.

November 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Eva Slade

How nice, since anyone who lost a loved one, courtesy of Sandy, will find the time to watch these 2 publicity mongers do their screaming on stage.

November 1, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • BillSD33

What is with you Eva! Would you rather they have their staff go spend $5k in food items that can be used for a photo op? This is what they know how to do. They want to help, we want to help. And then there are people like you, pitiful and disgusting.

November 1, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Jersey

Thought they'd call it "Restore the Shore", that's what we're saying here in Jersey!

November 1, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  48. James

Kudos for them. I'm just wondering if this aid will also apply to those poor Caribbean nations that were devastated by Sandy (it seems no one remembers them).

November 1, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  49. jblawson

Sting has almost become a telethon ho!

November 1, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  50. dan

I can see Bon Jovi and Bruce donating their time and talent, I'm just wondering how much Christiana will need to be paid for her to do something.

November 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • McGyver

Christina is willing to do the telethon for the all you can eat buffet.

November 1, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Terry Altman

You Republicans are really sick people. In the wake of a tragedy you can't even stop your hatred of the President for long enough to commend two great American Artists who want to help. Shame on you!

November 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • jer

Republicans???? so only one political party can think something is bad??/ you are what is wrong iwth america, one sided political thinking. THIS DEMOCRAT says it is BS that they have to pander to the masses for money when they have so much money of their own and enough rich friends to donate more than a telethon can make.
      They are just doing this to have a good name

November 1, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Clyde

I like squirrels. And tomato soup.

November 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Sam

WAY TO GO AWESOME! The ugly remarks on this site, is just that mean souls. What is wrong with two artists from New Jersey that are willing to help out with telethon? We have done similar telethons for HAITI and Bon Jovi has also gone to New Orleans to build homes on his own time and dime after katrina. If you are an ugly soul, you could not possibly relate to such a kind act. Go back to your ugly corner and be miserable. Wish other millionaires will contribute especially foliks like Romney, Trump and all the big mouths that do nothing but send their millions to the Cayman Islands. GO GUYS we already bought all your CDs and thank you for thinking about the average american that needs help. GOD BLESS!

November 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Chucklehead

Maybe, just maybe, they will finally stop talking about Hurrican Katrina and poor, smelly New Orleans.

November 1, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  55. johnquepubliqe

The OBAMINATION to join the group and push his blame for this natural disaster on a YouTube video.

November 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Sister Onion

It never ceases to amaze me the utter ugliness of my fellow Americans. These two New Jersey guys along with others are trying to make a difference and help out and all some can do is trash their efforts and make snide comments.

Way to go USA. You make me proud – not.

November 1, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Marcus

Thank you so much "everyone" for your help

November 1, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Big Carl

Thanks Guy's we need all the help we can get here !!!

November 1, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  59. fered

bon giovi sucks.

November 1, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Becca

That was not nice to say at all Fered! What you think you should think only to your self. We have a crisis here in the U.S. and he is one of the ones who are going to try to help. I can only guess that you are not in one of the crisis areas or you would not be saying this at all. If You can talk like this and say something nasty then what are you giving to help out??????? So until you can prove what you are doing to help all these people that were in the path of the storm and you are giving as much as the actress And actors are doing then Please keep that pie hole of yours shut. And also if there is anyone else who has something nasty to say this all goes for you too>!!!!!!!

November 1, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  60. msquared2

I like the sentiment, and think it's a good idea...but since most of the money in this country is on the East Coast...I'm not sure where they're going to get donations. We're broke-a**-poor in the midwest, and last I checked California is still the deepest in debt state in the union. Who's got the cash to help?

November 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • GoodThinking

were you able to make a contribution? - anything will help these poor people

November 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Carrei

These men are amazing. I think it's great they want to help their home state. Way to go guys!

November 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roman

They're not amazing; they just want to sell more CDs.

November 1, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

Both Bruce and JBJ have more money than they could ever spend in two lifetimes. If any two celebrities really cared about their home state, it John Bon and Bruce.

November 1, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gmon

Ok so Bon Jovi (130 million albums sold) and Bruce (120 Million Albums sold) are doing this tele just because they want to sell more cd's. OK Wanna buy a watch? Your a knucklehead!

November 1, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • boarddog

Old guys rule!

November 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  62. fran

Bruce: My City of Ruins, Lost in the Flood and We Take Care of Our own? Good bet.

November 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • pat

Televising a concert is really smart when so many people have no power and can't watch it anyway.

November 1, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • folly

and the Rising!

November 1, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

this is actually in reply to Pat – the telethon is to raise money FOR the people of the area. not necessarily for them to watch. I'm sure TV is the last thing on their minds.

If everyone that watches donates $5 that would be amazing and they would raise a whole lot of desperately needed funds for those suffering.

November 1, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike B

What about "4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)?"

November 1, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Becca

The TV concert is to make people aware of how badly all the the people who have been in the direct path of the storm. It is not for the People to watch that have no electric. It is just to make more money and donations to them. If it was a concert for those people to watch then it would be in a town some where but there is no place in the devistation for them to even set up a concert. Some people here are not in these heart breaking areas or they would not say this stuff. There also will be more gifts money form sent to all areas as well through this concert.
      Good going for those 2 for what they are going to do. Bon Jovi is great for helping to rebuild as you already know from the past.

November 1, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • blckwdw

pat – It's not a concert it's a telethon to raise money. Now hush up!

November 1, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Logan

@Pat – perhaps you're too dumb to understand that the telethon is to raise money for the survivors to rebuild – not for their entertainment.
      God, you people are stooopid.

November 1, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  63. metalhead65

and how much of that aid will actually make it to the victims and not to the red cross coffers? I am tired of seeing telethons that are supposed to help victims only to see the money go for other uses. look at hati and how much money was donated to help it recover and now years later people are still living in tents and the same poverty stricken conditions they were in before the quake. but I will watch it for the Springsteen&Bon Jovi performances. and guys we will be watching for your music not your nobama propaganda.

November 1, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • cyberhackster

Maybe there is some stimulus money left – Ask Solyndra, or any of the other flops that were bailed out - US? up urs

November 1, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Fantastic News

i was waiting!!!!!

November 1, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Yes!

i knew they would going to help!!!

November 1, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |