Taylor Swift scores biggest sales week in a decade
October 31st, 2012

Taylor Swift scores biggest sales week in a decade

We can just imagine the face Taylor Swift is making right now with the news that her newest album, "Red," sold 1.2 million in its first week.

"How is this real life?! You are UNREAL" Swift, 22, tweeted in reaction Tuesday. "I love you so much. Thanks a million."

Her first week sales arrived higher than the industry's projection of 1.1 million, which means Swift not only has her third No. 1 on the Billboard 200, but a new record to go with it.

While Lady Gaga notched 1.1 million sold when "Born This Way" arrived last May, Swift's slightly higher sales week makes "Red" the biggest sales week of any album in 10 years. According to Billboard, the last album to perform as well was Eminem's "The Eminem Show," which sold 1.322 in its first week out in 2002.

To top it off, Swift's also the only woman to claim two sales weeks that hit a million since SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991. Her album "Speak Now" sold 1.047 million in its first week in 2010.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music • Taylor Swift

« Previous entry
  1. hammerfall

hey buddy, this can be a really interesting write-up hammerfall http://www.testttdjshdk121.com

February 19, 2013 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. antics-of-an-author

I'm glad she is doing so well. I love her music and her voice. it's good to see her doing so well. I personally didn't like her new album as much as her old ones, possibly because of the difference in sound, but she is still a good performer and I'm not going to diss her. However if I had a say I would bring the old Taylor back.

November 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • lilly

im w/ u:) i totally miss the old taylor, but ive been with her from the begining, n im not leaving her now! she's amazing!!!

November 28, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Todd

Oh my! What a marvelous tune!!

November 7, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pixley

You guys are all just jealous you need to shut up! She has worked really hard for this! So you can't say all these nasty things when she is working her butt off to succeed and you are sitting on your lazy butts doing nothing and not giving a crap about succeeding! Taylor doesn't want to be reading all these nasty comments! I don't care about what you say in your replies! Just stop bagging on Taylor Swift!

November 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Oh yeah, this is great ...

Some her some were actualy pretty good, but some of them such as " Red" or "Speak Now" is worse than a moldy cheese!

November 7, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. TTM

Congratulations to Taylor Swift. Her songs are catchy and she's a great performer.

November 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Voices

boring

November 6, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. Chris

I thought america got over this 'good girl country' CRAP with Hanna Montanya or whatevs. This chick os B.O.R.I.N.G. and unoriginal.

November 6, 2012 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. Anthony

Absolutely terrible!!!!!!! let me know when she comes out with a song that doesnt involve a break up. she has created so many of them, it is sad. she is the ying to Mariah Carey yang. all Mariah knows how to do is write about love songs, and Swift can only write about break ups

November 5, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • WardHorkin

Haha, you act mad like it's her fault. It's the fans that are buying the music... She just writes it.

November 6, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • ImpishLisa

Yet she is so much richer than all of us. Oh, the Irony ;) Stop hating. I stopped hating on Rih Rih being dumb enough to get back with Chris Beat-her-up Brown, so let's be nice to the girl who makes a killing on songs that appeal to teen girls.
      I happen to be older, and I like Trouble, Red, Never, Ever, Ever.. They are catchy and we all have moments they make sense.
      Keep cranking them out Ms Swift, until people stop buying them. Let all the h8ers whine and cry while you count your stacks.

November 7, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • lilly

right........ and if you could right songs what would right about... how friggin cool u think you are! she has worked hard for this, she's living out her dream! screw you.

November 30, 2012 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  10. sofia

not a big shocker she is awesome

November 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  11. lewisyeti

wow...what is she gonna do when she turns 40?

November 5, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

To quote Lemmy: "There are only 2 types of music - music you like, and music you don't like."

November 5, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Tabith

everyone likes different music. ya, agree, music that you like- listen to it and music that you hate- don't listen to it

November 8, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jesus

I agree with all if the comments about her talent, song writing abilities and voice. As well as the fact that her music is forgettable. However, every decade has singers/performers that are equally annoying. Example: Paula Abdul, Vanilla Ice, those guys that sung the Macarena. The talents of Babyface, Richard Marx, Prince, Luther Vandrose, Billy Joel and others of that caliber, are a dying breed. So called artist today can take many shortcuts with music. You can sit down in front of a Mac and let the computer write a song. Then make up crappy vocals and use auto-tune to sing them. Not that hard. Wil-i-am comes to mind. The unfortunate piece is that as a society we want everything simple, not too complex to understand. This applies to music of today. Don't get me wrong, there are some very skilled players out in the scene today. Unfortunately they are not getting the recognition they deserve. Taylor is just a product of what music has become. Eventually she will fade away. Just not today. Myself, I have a higher expectation from music and look to the day when music delivers on that expectation. Until then, I will listen to the true talents in my IPOD and let it remind me of what real music and talent sound like.

November 4, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Joshua

There is no computer program currently capable of writing a song that is of sufficient quality to be published.

November 4, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gary Weed

Every decade also has it's share of out of touch dummies who don't get certain music. There were and still are people who will tell you Led Zeppelin suck. There is no artist now, nor has there ever been, who recieve universal acclaim. You can't possibly listen to everyone, but there are certain artists you stumble across in life that you feel really lucky to have found. I would definately include Taylor Swift on that list.

November 4, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agrav8td

You can't compare Taylor Swift to Paula Abdul or Vanilla Ice, they were basically 1-hit wonders, and she's not.

November 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anthony

as an atheist i can finally say Jesus is right.

November 5, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • web puppy

I agree completely.

November 7, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jeff

I have to agree that while her album sales are awesome, I think her appeal will fade away unless she can adapt with her crowd. Not all of today's 14-20 somethings will stay this age and be going through first love break ups and such. She needs to mature her song writing skills or she goes away. She can't be 35 singing about first loves or break ups. Oh wait, she can be 35 and sing about getting hit by her boyfriend or snorting coke on a Saturday night..... Lets see how this plays out...

November 4, 2012 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Wowjustwow

What is with all the 'she won't last' negativity? I have teenage daughters, they like her music, I would much rather they listen to her music than some of the blue language junk out there. Besides, any ever hear of a young artist name Loretta Lynn? Listen to the first 10 years of her self written music, not a lot to it but very catchy tunes. She wrote stories of her life, jeez people give Taylor a chance to have a life before you expect her to write the song of the century!

November 6, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Peggy

She has a horrible voice. Everytime her songs play, I turn the music off. I just can't stand her.

November 4, 2012 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Wowjustwow

So do Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson, didn't stop them from recording many hits and writing many more.

November 6, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hillary

I I agree, Peggy- I can't stand her either. Her voice is whiney and she sings about nothing memorable.

November 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • colorado

She's weird.
      too old to still be "boy crazy".
      Guys ALL break up with her.
      She should look within.

November 7, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  16. Sheldon Cooper

If cats could sing, even they'd hate her voice.

November 3, 2012 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  17. Geez- L - Petes

Good for you Taylor.... I hope the parents aren't reading all these nasty comments about their little girl. Some of you are nasty.

November 2, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alex Santana

I agree with you. The nasty R&R crowd just can't stand it when someone like Taylor makes it big. THey only want drug induced rockers out there. They did the same when Carrie Underwood broke out. I loved it when our C&W was only ours and was under the radar screens. I blame Dick Clark for pushing our music to the forefront with his crappy music award shows. He saw the money in C&W and tried to make it rock. Good for him, bad for the music world.

November 2, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

There's obviously some very sore "losers" in the crowd, judging by their idiotic rambling mean comments. One doesn't need a "masters" degree to understand music (In fact, degrees mean nothing imho). Taylor appeals to people across a variety of age groups, both male & female. Whilst I prefer her earlier, more country sounding material, Red is a fine album, her best yet in terms of pure musicality and variety. Her vocals aren't perfect, but the vast majority of artists use autotune today, so should we bash all of them? And yes, Taylor can, and does, carry a tune live. Obviously some of you are tone deaf and never been to one of her performances. And yes, she does sing about other things that "breakups" as some have so succinctly put it. Oh, and FYI, Taylor generally sings her songs in one take when recording. Yeah, like the old days in the 50s and 60s before digital mutlitracking etc.

Some of you really need to grow up and hit the maturity level of a 5 year old. I haven't even started on IQ levels yet, since most are probably under 80 points by the looks of it.

November 2, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  18. vybeology

No one knew who she was until Kanye West pulled that antic.

November 1, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Alex Santana

Only you uninformed never heard about her. We have been listening to her since she was 15. I liked country music when it was ours and not on the pop scene. It is cyclical and will return to us again and you poppers can have your one hit wonders back. Ever hear about Susan Boyle anymore? Bieber will disappear and Adele? OMG she sounds like a gorilla and looks like one too...that is one no talent girl.

November 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sense Maker

Yes, that makes a lot of sense seeing how he interupted her winning video of the year. Clearly nobody had heard of her yet when she was winning the biggest award of the night before he interupted her...nice job making no sense at all.

November 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wowjustwow

Didn't you get that backwards? I never heard of West until his stunt with her Music Video of the Year Award, what did he win exactly?

November 6, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Willow

Even Avril Lavigne sings better live than Taylor Swift. The only reason Swift got a record deal was because she's blonde. Her voice is so WEAK. You can't tell her songs apart because they all use the same 3 chords. Adele is a million times more talented that her. Swift's voice cracks & goes off in a million different directions. She is so off key & out of tune. Without autotune & a good producer standing behind her, she is nothing. Anyone who disagrees with this is probably under 12.

October 31, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Richard Fore

Thats not the point dummy. Sales = Like, not talent.

November 1, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Les

II've been saying this for 6 years. She is a Nashville production, packaged to sell to 14 year old girls. Eventually they will get tired of the same old song she has been singing her whole career. Her success can be credited to sound studio technicians who push the right levers to make her videos sound acceptable. Her management team has also found a good strategy of having her on stage with 4 or 5 backup female singers who sing better than her. All Taylor has to do is hum along. Of course even the Beach Boys use that trick.....but at least they are either 60 or 70 years old.

November 2, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • musicnest

uh...pretty much ALL pop songs use only 3 chords. Ever hear of 12-bar blues? Most pop music is descended from that form, and that uses only 3 chords.

November 9, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  20. glenda

When she so called sings, I'd rathered hear somebody run their fingernails across a chalk board. Same for Justin Bieber, but only after he throws up. My sister said, People will listen to anything, and when it comes to these 2, I agree. People will buy anything, as again proven by these 2.

October 31, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • palintwit

Sarah Palin's voice sounds like fingernails across a chalkboard.

November 1, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  21. Who Cares

She can't SING-IN-KEY live and never could, she is TONE DEAF and each of her songs sounds like the last, she is a total JOKE. But it's only 9 year olds that buy her pathetic sound, it's not music or songwriting!

October 31, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agrav8td

Regardless of how talentless you think she is, she's still getting filthy rich off it. And I'd rather my 9 year old listen to Taylor Swift than ANYTHING remotely tied to rap. You want to talk about getting rich off total lack of talent, let's talk about rap.

November 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Hdsgn

When I was in college, Debbie Gibson was the big thing (bubble gum rock). She wrote her own songs...Today, we have Taylor Swift...writes her own songs (and they make sense; although all about her breakups)...let the kid enjoy her popularity!

October 31, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Who Cares

WRONG, Debbie Gibson sings in KEY and has perfect Pitch, Taylor Swift is TONE DEAF and sings WAY WAY OUT-OF-KEY and if you can't hear it, get your ears checked. I have a masters in music and I am shocked anyone would call her a singer, because she is not!

October 31, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

So the question really is, why aren't you (Who Cares) making the millions since you have the "Masters Degree in Music"?

November 3, 2012 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Irwin

Get over it, haters, but TS is the most popular singer on the planet. And this coming from a 65- year old Adele fan. Red is incredible in its variety. All Too Well and WANEGBT are great songs, as well as several others. And if her albums came out in the 90's they would put N'Sync, Em, and Britney to shame! Likewise for the great Adele!

October 31, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Who Cares

GET A NEW HEARING AID FAST....

October 31, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • ImpishLisa

Who cares what whocares says, obviously not TS's bank account, obviously not the people buyign HER album. Obviously not the folks making money because of her.
      Face it, folks. you don't have to like someone to admit they are successful beyond what you will ever be. Just like the Huffington guy..he mocks her, but he is making a cowdung drop of money compared to her.

November 7, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • ImpishLisa

You, with your words like knives and swords and weapons that you use against me
      You have knocked me off my feet again got me feeling like I'm nothing
      And I can see you years from now in a bar, talking over a football game
      With that same big loud opinion but nobody's listening
      Washed up and ranting about the same old bitter things
      Drunk and grumbling on about how I can't sing

All you are is mean ;)

November 7, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. chris

so many people saying the same/similar thing... yet it makes me wonder... how can you/they know that to be the case unless you're listening to it... if you dislike her so much, why are you listening to her stuff in the first place?! If you don't like it, don't buy it.. simple as that... go back to your over-sampled (c)rap and lip-synced Bieber garbage

October 31, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Julie :( so sad

It's getting you pretty far in life, huh? Missed out on that promotion, must have been someone not seeing how special you are? Didn't get an invite to someone's party, they must be mean? Someone is selling a million plus records in a week, you must be jealous. :)

October 31, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Gary Weed

The fact that Taylor hasn't been destroyed by childhood fame is amazing in and of itself. Seriously, who else out there survives this level of fame? No drugs. No alcohol. No tirades in the streets. Just a simple portrait of grace. 4 hit albums in 6 years! How many have done that? Not very many. She's amazing to me.

October 31, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Spartacus

A Completely one dimensional over rated singer songwriter who quite frequently makes absolutely no sense what so ever and who's style is so boring and mundane it out lived itself 40 years ago when Joni Mitchel stopped doing it !!!

October 31, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Fa Fa Fooey

Just give me a bathtub filled with pooh so that the two of us can roll around in it all day while singing her songs.

October 31, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. sjperry

She is a success. Her music is more relatable for the everyday teen than any other artist right now. She is middle America. Why should she change. This seems to be her.

October 31, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • jpip

Relatable to everyday teens? Almost every song she "writes" is an expose on her latest failed relationship with a male celebrity. I certainly hope that's not relatable to my teen and pre-teen daughters.
      I've seen interviews where she smugly admits that she gladly uses her break ups for her material. At some point and after so many failed relationships, one of them should write a song called "Maybe You're the Problem"...

November 1, 2012 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Wowjustwow

I don't know where your teen daughters go to school, but mine go to high school in a small town and weekly breakups and the fallout are the norm for almost every girl in the school. Verbal cat fights over past boyfriends is also the norm. Of course dating someone consists of spending time with them between classes and going to the local football games. No teen moms and drugs and all the other joys of living in the big city. The boy my daughter is seeing now was embarrassed to be driven home by me because she had broken up with him the previous week over his wanting her to only spend time with him and not her friends. This is as it should be, she didn't like his opinion that he owned her time and once it was explained to him, he was properly abashed at his behavior. If that is song fodder, so be it, much better lyrics than hearing about teen pregnancy and teen killings.

November 6, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Nick

Hold up, hold up – ima let you all finish but I just have to say eminem is better, don't get me wrong she was alright but em was better

October 31, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Julie

I suppose some teens need a dorky hero BUT never to be compare to em? it's like apples and dorky oranges!

October 31, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Russ

you're an idiot. Eminem only reaches to a certain audience. Swift's audience is larger and more educated and intelligent.

October 31, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Really...?

I always find it funny when people whine about someone writing "the same old songs...". If the formula works and she's making millions, why change it?

October 31, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Really

Did she say thanks a million or thanks 1.2 million.

October 31, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really

You wanna sell a million record in a week and you can't find inspiration to write new stuff? Here is how to proceed, target a vulnerable demographie: 14 years old girls dreaming about the prince, date a kid of their age from a famous family, and tweak you old stuff to anything he likes.
      Boon, now thanks them for the millions

October 31, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  33. ph

applies makeup with a roller and continues to write songs with the emotional maturity of a jilted 14 year old.

October 31, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • ella scott

whine whine, r u just a little jealous, Thanks to a beautiful young singer, songwriter who has manners, and young girls, can finally find someone who gets it right

October 31, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • jpip

@ella scott- the fact that you look up to someone who makes millions off of writing snarky songs about ex-boyfriends speaks volumes about your character.

November 1, 2012 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Hillary

ph and jpip- I couldn't agree more. Her voice irritates the hell out of me. And she needs to grow up and start singing about something worthwhile instead of herself.

November 6, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • ImpishLisa

And the fact that people sit here hating, raging and arguing over one little well-paid positive voice in a world of hate, angst and drama shows things about the haters' character. Just saying, it's sad if your only contribution is negativity. Maybe it's time to step back, take a stock of your own life and wonder why you have to hate so much.

November 7, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Daniel L. Grim

I think Taylor Swift has a terrific voice!Do You hear Her Bad-Mouthing anyone?Another comment Taylor Nifty Swifty to Taylor Awsome Swift!Just another way to tease a little but 2 say I think its Awsome that somany people agree with Me&Y'all Think this is awsome 2 !!MeNoGod!I just try to give a positive statement.LvYa TaylorIf You don't like Her music-don't listen!Was Ronan jusanother Song?!Country.-Pop-Jazz&RockNRoll on one CD.

October 31, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Name*jbh

Pretty crazy to think Nsync holds the all time first week sales with 2.42 million on "no strings attached". Yes, thats double taylor swift!

October 31, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Name*jake

Welcome to unemployed, uneducated America folks.

October 31, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  37. TriumphTheInsultComicDog

I'd like to stick my beef in her taco for dinner. Then i'd eat her pie for dessert.

October 31, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Randman

She writes the same song over and over and over. Boring. Typical pop music and typical record buyers. Shame on all of you lol

October 31, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Jt_flyer

The perfect marketing package. Her squeaky clean, aseptic image would defiantly appeal to parents. Seems lacking in vocal, song writing and guitar playing ability.

October 31, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ash guy

Okay, like you could ever make an album and then get a million dollars

October 31, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  40. hrpufnstuf

Who buys this crap? You would think they're getting a look up her dress, with all the sales of the garbage she "sings."

II'm Taylor Swift
    and I have pretty hair.

If you jilt me
    II'll write a song
    because I have pretty hair.

October 31, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Teri

You go girl, as long as you can....Enjoy it and live it to the fullest with sincerity and humbleness, and you will rock this world....Good Luck !!!!!!

October 31, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tired of all of you

America would be a better place if CNN (and Yahoo and all the rest) turned off public comment.

October 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  43. palintwit

Countless studies have shown that there is a higher incidence of incest and child molestation among southern, white evangelical families than in any other group that participated in the study. Experts agree that this type of deviant behavior is generally a result of living in close quarters, such as trailer parks. Anyone requiring further proof only has to take a casual drive south of the Mason-Dixon line where you will encounter toothless inbreds wherever you travel. In fact, historians have long theorized that the reason the south lost the Civil War is because of the high number of mentally challenged soldiers in the army, a direct result of generations of inbreeding.

October 31, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  44. Uh huh

Just wait. She'll be dating colored boys within 6 months.

October 31, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  45. veronica

Wow! For someone who can't sing she really is making the money. Good for her!

October 31, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Susie Smythe

I agree, the girl cannot carry a tune. I heard her on Good Morning America last week and her voice hurt my ears! Nashville studios can do mireacles.

October 31, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hillary

lol It is completely idiotic, isn't it? I don't know who 'thought' she could sing, but there must have beeen a shtload of money fronted to get her launched.

November 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  46. NewNana

Didn't even read this but just wanted to say...Sooooooo TIRED of Taylor and her immature anctics. When she FINALLY has to start singing BIG GIRL songs and has to write something that's not about an ex she won't last long. If she gets Entertainer of the Year Thursday I will probably vomit!!

October 31, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  47. Chucklehead

I hate her music but I'd love to butter her muffin in the morning.

October 31, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  48. Katie Extent

eek...not a good picture of her at all.

October 31, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  49. Big Jim

I'm gonna dress up like Taylor Swift for Halloween. He was the greatest NFL running back of all time. Him and Deon Sanders. I still think Swift gained more yardage though. That guy could play some football.

October 31, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |