Welcome to Woodbury on 'The Walking Dead'
October 29th, 2012

Welcome to Woodbury on 'The Walking Dead'

Right out of the gate, Sunday night's episode of "The Walking Dead" answered one of the series' big burning questions.

Just what was that helicopter that seemed to be patrolling the Georgia countryside? That chopper was carrying several soldiers, who had escaped a military base overrun by Walkers and the infected.

The helicopter crashed and Andrea and Michonne went to check it out.

It became apparent that a group of men had shot it down, as the pair observed them arrive in trucks to see who had survived, holding off Walkers as they did (the sort of incredibly tense, nearly silent scene that has been a hallmark of this season in particular). Only one soldier, the pilot, was still alive. The others were dispatched just as they would "turn."

When Michonne's pet Walkers started to make noise, she chopped off their heads without missing a beat. As soon as Michonne and the increasingly ailing Andrea thought they were in the clear, they were captured by Daryl's missing brother Merle.

Soon, Andrea found herself being tended to by a nurse, and Merle was questioning her about what became of Daryl and the rest of the group. She rattled off all of the people who died, and had no idea what happened to Daryl or anyone else since the Walkers attacked the farm.

When the man who was clearly in charge showed up, Michonne demanded her weapons back. But the man told her they would best get a good night's rest, and their weapons would be waiting for them on the way out of their fortified town. Merle and the man clued them in on the big bombshell that anyone who dies becomes a Walker, as well.

Andrea was brought to one of the walls guarding the town to see how the men kept watch and defended it from being breached.

The town was called Woodbury, and the man was called Governor  (he refused to tell his real name).

The Governor and his population of 73 were proud of how far they had come, rebuilding civilization on a small scale.

Aside from Merle, we met another of the Governor's right hand men, Milton.

When Milton had the chance to question Michonne about it while sharing a meal with Andrea and the Governor, she refused to answer, and still demanded that the Governor give them back their weapons. As you might have guessed, the answer remained the same.

The ever-mysterious Michonne made no secret of her distrust of the Governor, but Andrea on the other hand took to the idea of staying in Woodbury pretty quickly.

The Governor questioned the surviving pilot, and soon arrived to where a group of his fellow troops had set up camp.

He and his men ambushed the soldiers, wiping them all out and returning to town with their vehicles and weapons. The Governor told a tall tale about the soldiers having already been attacked by "Biters" (as they're called in Woodbury).

That night, we got a glimpse into the Governor's apartment. He took a look at a photo of his wife and daughter, pre-apocalypse, then made his way into a secret back room, which had zombie heads floating in tanks like tropical fish. The heads included that of Michonne's pets, and the pilot.

On that creepy note, we're left to ponder where things go from here. Obviously, the Governor is our big bad villain of season three, but it remains to be seen how this story will intersect with the prison, since Andrea has no idea where the rest of her group is.

Will Andrea continue to trust the Governor, and what is Michonne's next move, for that matter?

What did you think of this week's episode? Are you looking forward to seeing where things go with the Governor? Share your thoughts on video or comment below.

1. Lori Grimes

For all you haters....Carl, Rick, and Shane are not the father of my baby....right now I believe it is Glen..

October 31, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Merle's Right Hand

Well...it is about time they brought my homie back..can I get a What? What? Now all we need is to do is hook back with baby brother Daryl and live it up!

October 31, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. The Walking Dead

no going to say it...just leave it alone Midge

October 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 55555

next...

October 30, 2012 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sokman

Saying comic books & graphic novels are the same thing is like saying the National Enquirer & The Wall Street Journal are the same thing

October 30, 2012 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sokman

Comics books & graphic novels are not the same thing. It doesn't take a level 57 Palendine to know that geesh

October 30, 2012 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. WalkingDead

that's about right–

October 29, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. we'll see you soon

commander

October 29, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ray Rimkin

NERDS!!!

October 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Supreme Commander

Definitly one of my favs. How did Andrea escape though? I missed that part.

October 29, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shikabane Hime

She apparently ran off in the woods still chased by some walkers . Most walkers seemed interested in the burning barn. Just as she ran out of ammo in th e woods and a walker was attacking her, Michonne showed up w/ her pets and cut off the head of the walker.

October 29, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ted

Anyone else collect the action figures? I have all of them. They are rad !

October 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Saturn 6

I get them too. Usually I can get two a week if I save both my allowance and lunch money. Those things are awesome.

October 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. lightsofflashinggreen

wrong lard butttttttttttttttt

October 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joe

Ted, comics and graphic novels are exactly the same...

October 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emma

Then why do graphic novels cost lots more? I can get a comic for $2.99 but graphic novels can be $15 or more. I bet they are trying to cheat me.

October 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. KLG Black Knight

I was at ComicCon last year and met the real Merle. Not the actor, but the real guy that the series is based on. He is super interesting and a great guy. You should hear all his stories about traveling in post apocalyptic world where he fought walkers. It's a wonder he made it through it. He was signing autographs for everyone. A great guy.

October 29, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

I also attended. Got my picture took with him and an autograph. Nice to meet the real guy.

October 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  15. weirdiology

Totes! Here is what I think:

October 29, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Marleece

Carl and Lori sitting in a tree
    K I S S I N G
    First come love
    Then comes marriage
    Them comes Lori with a baby carriage.

October 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Andrea II

I love the graphic novels. When it was revealed Carl is the dad of Lories baby I almost peeeed my pants.

October 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Chantay

Overall a disappointing episode. Definitely the weakest of the season.

If the TV show follows the comics, we should soon find out Carl is the father of Lori's unborn child – a daughter. The subplot runs that everyone is infected with the virus. One side affect is very early puberty which allowed Carl to impregnate Lori. They may not go this route on TV though.

October 29, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Ted

Merle is in fact Shane's and Darryl's brother. It will be revealed in a later episode. If you read ahead using the graphic novels you will see this. I don't want to give away too much info though. It might spoil the show for you.

October 29, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Darryl and merle aren't even in the comic and have no relation to shane.

October 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ted

I read the graphic novels. Not the comics. Only young children and embiciles look at comics. The graphic novels are sophisticated and more advanced.

October 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • blah11

Wow you are stupid Ted

October 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shikabane Hime

Okay, how did Lori not notice she was doing her son?! Also there is no Darryl in the graphic novels.

October 29, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  20. devon

Way to go Mark! I too am tired of all the mistakes that appear in The WD blog. Jesus, does Hank ever watch the show. Hey CNN, ultimately you are responsible for these mistakes. Hey Hank, I agree, you're an idiot!

October 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  21. MARK

Dear Henry Hanks (producer) Let me start off by saying you are an idiot! You continually insult Walking Dead viewers with your blatant mistakes in your writing. Merle is Darryls brother you moron! Normally I wouldn't mind a mistake, but week after week, you (or what ever idiot that writes) keeps making these stupid mistakes. Do you even watch the show? Do everyone a favor, stay off the blogging and get a true fan to write this blog. Did I say you were an idiot?

October 29, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. 1 to 10

Merle's brother is Daryl not Shane.

October 29, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |