Lena Dunham, Tracee Ellis Ross and more tell Romney: You Don't Own Me
October 25th, 2012

Lena Dunham, Tracee Ellis Ross and more tell Romney: You Don't Own Me

A new PSA video encouraging women to vote recruited some famous faces for sing-along montage to Lesley Gore's classic, "You Don't Own Me."

The video, which sees actresses like Lena Dunham and Tracee Ellis Ross, musician Sia, and more doing their best lip-syncing, juxtaposes the faces of women with messages about presidential candidate Romney's stance on Planned Parenthood and the Affordable Care Act.

"Women constitute more than half of the population," the YouTube clip says in its description. "Women, let's rise up. Our vote alone can win this election. ... Our vote ensures that our daughters will grow up with the same rights that we've had."

And if you were unnerved to hear how well a song from nearly 50 years ago fits in with the headlines of 2012, musician Gore's right there with you.

"I recorded 'You Don't Own Me' in 1964. It's hard for me to believe, but we're still fighting for the same things we were then," she says. "Yes ladies, we've gotta come together, get out there and vote, and protect our bodies. They're ours. Please vote."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music • Politainment • television

1. Matt Scheidell

What is wrong with you people? Mitt Romney is not a fanatic right-winger anti-abortionist. He is not going to close all the Planned Parenthood clinics. This is a lame argument that preys upon the fears of weak-minded women.

October 27, 2012 at 5:08 am | Report abuse |
    • kat1e1

....and I quote, from mittromney. com/issue/values:
      "he believes that the right next step is for the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade" ... "Mitt supports the Hyde Amendment, which broadly bars the use of federal funds for abortions. As president, he will end federal funding for abortion advocates like Planned Parenthood"
      What were you saying again Matt?

October 28, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • MITT FOR PRESIDENT

im so tired of these stupid left wing liberals pinning women against the Mitt last election it was pinning blacks against whites anyone. Mitt is not closing planned parent hood he is taking federal funding for it which I think is ridiculous why the hell does the taxpayer want to help in murdering babies.

October 29, 2012 at 5:14 am | Report abuse |
  2. clare

Why are these women's looks being talked about? Who cares what they look like? Everyone has the right to share their opinion, whether they are gorgeous or not. It's so sad that that is the only comment some people can think of - "these women are ugly." Very sad.

October 26, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • M

It is sad, but you know what? If that's the best criticism they can come up with for this video and its message, I'd say it's doing pretty good. In fact, I'd dare them to sing a political statement to a camera, post it online and subject themselves to the critique of the world. Until that happens, I can't think of a good reason to take them seriously or to see their statements as anything other than rather banal triviality.

October 26, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kirstin Craeg

these women are uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly

October 26, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Shavêd Country

Two things:

1- Voting is meaningless. The money of a single megacorporation is worth more than every one of your pleb votes.
    2- Modern feminism is a joke and compared to 50-60 years ago women are in a much better place. Get over yourselves before you screw it up and there's a backlash against the movement.

October 26, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Theresa

I don't care what these women do with their bodies, but I do care about the babies that are aborted because of their opinion that once a life is created it is their right to end it. They don't want anyone to tell them what to say and think but they sure don't have a problem telling anyone who disagrees with them what to think and what to say. It is a two way street Ladies. Additionally, read up on how the judiciary works and you will learn that Mitt Romney can't unilaterally overturn Roe v. Wade.

October 26, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Weston Liveit

So you care about the babies being aborted? But they are not your babies correct? Do you equally care about the children who are killed daily all over the world? I am sure you do. But what have you done to stop it? Feel somewhat helpless? Abortion is not a public matter which side of the debate you profess to stand. It is a private matter like the many private things that goes on in peoples lives that they do not care to share with the world. It is only nosy people like yourself who consider themselves the defenders of the unborn yet don't give a crap about the living who continually make this very painful episode in a woman's life criminal. Always remember that pro-choice does not equate to pro-abortion.

October 26, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Stan

Lesbians just keep getting uglier and uglier.

So do feminist. GROSS.

October 26, 2012 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lola

But, apparently Barack Obama OWNS Lena Dunham. She was a girl when she went into the voting booth and came out a woman when she voted for Barack Obama. That "first time" ad that Lena did is the most offensive political ad that I have ever seen. No woman needs any man to make her woman "okay".....much less Barack Obama, a failed loser.

October 26, 2012 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. shell

love it!

October 25, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tim

My teacher at school said it is ok to make fun of ugly ladies if they are democrats.

October 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dan

When I saw the uggos on this video it made me throw up a little in my mouth. Where did they dig up these disgusting cows?

October 25, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Tonto

I don't think ANY of the women on this video have to worry about getting pregnant. IMHO they are the ugliest bunch of fidos on the planet. Throw the dogs some bones.

October 25, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Erica

I am disgusted by people's comments. Jeez, let people have an opinion without degrading them with awful terms. Who are you all voting for? I will be sure to vote for the opposite. Stop dividing us...

October 25, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

I can't vote yet. I'm 14. On election day you can be sure ill still be barfing after seeing these hags.

October 25, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Thussie

Keep your Rosaries off my Ovaries, love it!
    When a Republican opens his mouth about unwanted pregnancies, rape, incest I cringe. In this day and age how can people still think like this? God's will is to impregnate a women thru rape? Her body has a way of preventing a rape pregnancy? Are you kidding me? I might understand these ignorant comments decades ago but today, wow.
    If these men are so backward thinking in this area it scares me to think what else they are capable of twisting and misunderstanding. Glad I am Canadian!

October 25, 2012 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Angey

filthy looking women

October 25, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Margaret

She's disgusting

October 25, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Right on!

You sing it, Leslie Gore. I can't believe that we are still fighting for the same rights, either. Do we want to go backwards 50 years, or do we deserve to make our own decisions about our bodies? Leave contraception alone, too. Why is it that you boys can get the little blue pill covered on your insurance, but they want to deny contraception? Hey, no pill, no nookie. Not only that, we would like to see the Lilly Leadbetter bill stick around. Why do women get $.77 on the dollar? Aren't republicans the ones who want to keep government out of your business? They don't practice what they preach, do they. So, all you girls out there, go voice your opinion. Vote!

October 25, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • hey

blue pills are out of pocket expense and the dollar is only valued at .85 do some research. Your argument on womens rights is so ridiculous. Women fight so hard to protect murder stating its my body well what if your mom said the same thing about you.? you wouldnt be around now would you. I went to an elementry school the other day to pick up my niece and they were working on a project the kids put a seed in a cup and lined it with paper towels when my niece saw the seed cracked open and a small green leaf she protected it until it grew grass. Even elementray school kids know to protect life No matter how small. I only support adoptions if you want to adopt or give your kid for adoption thats fine but why should a life be taken if that life is depending on you to live.

October 29, 2012 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  17. Big Tom

I bet half of these sk-anks haven't had a bath in 6 months.

October 25, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Truth

Just a bunch of bra burn-ing anti American soc-ialist that don't shave their legs or their armpits.

October 25, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • april

heaven forbid! i hope you wax your balls, society does tell us to!!

October 26, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Truth(er) Maybe

Just another backward, backwood, redneck waste of oxygen with a third-grade ed-ja-ma-cation.

October 26, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |