No easy choices on 'The Walking Dead'
October 22nd, 2012

No easy choices on 'The Walking Dead'

[Editor's Note: This post contains spoilers for the October 21 episode of "The Walking Dead" -- you've been warned!]

Sunday's "Walking Dead" episode was considered to be a "good day" by that character fans love to hate, Lori.

And on one level, it probably was the closest thing to a happy ending that this group has seen in a long time.

Hershel, who was on death's door after being attacked by a Walker, stopped breathing, and Lori saved him by performing mouth-to-mouth. (Carl's discovery of medical supplies - while defying his mother's wish not to go off on his own - didn't hurt matters either.)

Before this miraculous moment, we got one of the most touching scenes ever as Maggie thanked her father for all he had done for her family. She believed it was their last moment together.

We also had Carol's decision to be the one to deliver Lori's baby, as Hershel would likely not be in a position to do so anymore. Glenn helped her as she found a female Walker to use for practice - but who or what was spying on her from a distance?

In the meantime, Rick, Daryl and T-Dog met some surviving prisoners: Big Tiny, Oscar, Axel, Andrew and their self-appointed leader, Tomas.

Right away, Rick and Tomas didn't trust each other, while Axel tried to find common ground between the groups.

At first, Rick tried to teach the prisoners how to help them clear a cell block of Walkers. Their first instinct was to go "prison riot" on the Walkers, attacking them everywhere but the head. They finally got the idea, but Big Tiny was bitten by a Walker and Tomas didn't think twice before brutally killing him and chopping off his head.

The next time a horde of Walkers came at them, Tomas pushed one on top of Rick.

After exchanging a few words, Rick put a machete in Tomas' head.

Andrew ran off, and Rick ended up locking him outside, left as food for Walkers.

Axel begged for his life, while Oscar told Rick to do what he had to do. Rick left the remaining pair in their own separate area of the prison.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of these two as the season unfolds. It wasn't difficult to guess that at least one prisoner wouldn't survive this episode, but three of them - including Tomas - getting killed was a surprise.

So far, this season has served up plenty of action and surprises, compared to last season's slow-paced first half. I did miss catching up on the whereabouts of Michonne and Andrea this week, though. Still, I'm very excited to see where things are going.

What did you think of the events of this episode? Who do you think is watching Carol (perhaps the Governor)? Share your thoughts on video or post a comment.

1. Juxtapoz

Lori and Carl are my least favorite characters of all. I am BEYOND sick and tired of that freaking kid wandering off time and again. His parents are always the last people to figure out he's even gone. How many times do Rick and Lori have to find themselves yelling, "Where's Carl?" in an emergency before they STOP asking somebody ELSE to watch him every 5 minutes? Maybe the kid needs to suffer some horrible trauma like seeing his pregnant mom get eaten, or maybe the writers need to find some better reasons for Rick to keep leaving his family and Lori to keep leaving Carl, and for Carl to realize that wandering around alone in the woods during a zombie apocalypse is a dumb thing to do.

November 16, 2012 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Eka

Just came across this blog buried in cnn links .. it is very informative re: the new season of TWD, my only critique would be that some of the Facts/Spoilers were a little off!? Big Tiny was not bitten & Herschel was not bitten by a walker .. other than that pretty decent contents!

November 1, 2012 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Renee

Hershel was bitten on his ankle by a walker. That's why Rick chopped his leg off.

November 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. paula chaves

Nice blog here! Also your site quite a bit up fast! What web host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink to your host? I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

October 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rick's Hat

Yo Carl...how about taking me off yo nasty funky head and wash me...jeez...

October 25, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Vahdin.

Uhm, I will just ignore the childish comments about Carl and his mother. Though I am really paranoid. Carol is one of my favourite characters and if she were to be killed, I would be very sad. During the moment that had showed somebody was spying on her; it instantly had me thinking it was either Merle, or one of the Governor's men. I really can't tell and I can't wait either. I am sure I am not the only person feeling that way. When Merle comes back, I hope he doesn't pick a fight with Daryl, either. Or at least turn him against the group; but I wouldn't be so worried, after all they have been through, it should be okay – right? Well. We will have to wait and see.

October 24, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sokman

I love how cnn puts up a "spoiler alert", then gets everything so fked up they couldnt spoil milk. They leave you more confused than if you never watched the show

October 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Malina

Great show. Rick's and Lori's final scene was amazing – they both performed exceptionally well. As for the next episode?
    Melrle is watching Carol. Daryl is going into a confrontation with him also because of her (but not in Ep. 3). Will be very interesting and emotional to watch.

October 23, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pizza The Hut

It wasn't Merle watching Carol...it was a pervy zombie...probably rubbing his zombie weenie....

October 25, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ShikaboneHime

I think it is Merl also. Little Carl is a momma's boy because SHE NEVER KNOWS WHERE HE IS!!!! Awesome work so far this season. I am still PO'd over Sophia's death and undeath. Oh well, I will get over it, eventually.
    SHE would have known where Carl was all those times!

October 23, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christian

Lol really? Your comment had literally 0 logic. Carl is a momma's boy because his mom never knows where he is? Uhhh if he's never near his mom that would make him the opposite of a momma's boy.. dumb dumb.

October 27, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sella Fona

you do not make children by sticking your tongue down a mans throat–he will not give you a baby by sticking his tongue
    down your throat....no big deal.

October 22, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. text me on

my cell carl...i want to play race card with our cell phones.

October 22, 2012 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sokman

Best show on tv. The stalker is Meryl. He's already said in interviews he'll have a major role in season 3. Wish I hadn't read that interview & gotten the spoiler.

October 22, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Christian

Hahahaha yea you're an idiot. Just because he said he will have a bigger role in season 3 doesn't mean that is him spying on Carol. He didn't say anything about what he would be doing in the story, just that he'd have a bigger role, so you automatically assume it's him? 0 logic, have fun being an idiot.

October 27, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kettlesa

I loved the part where Beth Greene sings for her father in Episode 1! Found out she sings in real life and is doing online concert tonight at: http://www.stageit.com/emily_kinney_music/emily_kinney_live_from_or_s_apartment/14888

October 22, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sidnastyvicious

That's what I thought Becca. I was seriously lost for a moment. It's like multiples yakking about the same incestuous pervo version in Coo Coo land.. So without further ado, May you sic-a-fants be "fido -stomped, mutt-licked, flea-bagged in your eye-bag with my tea-bag" till your tail wagging buddies run you over with their car...Bunggg...\m/...

October 22, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rebbeca

What? I never saw carl kissing his mother and what are you idiots talking about that Carl is the father of his mother Lori's baby? What show were you watching? Idiots!

October 22, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sella Fona

down your throat....no big deal.

October 22, 2012 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sidnastyvicious

What are all these references about Carl (Rick & Lori's 10 yr old son) being the father of his mothers unborn baby? Did I miss something?

Other than that, I am super red eyed stoked with all the brutal violent killing this season. They definitely have came back right after a " trip around the moon" vacation. Keep up the "killer" artwork...\m/...Sid Nasty Vicious...

October 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ?

can we get her out of here on this comp as well?

October 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. iekoop

Ok, enough with Carl being the father of Lori's baby. Carl is Lori's son. The baby is either Rick's or Shane's.

October 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Honey PooPoo

The baby belongs to Otis...but Shane-O took him out and the walkers ate him. Shane was jealous of Otis....

October 25, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Justin Engel

Great blog and great insights. Here's another perspective on last night's The Walking Dead: http://www.mlive.com/tv/index.ssf/2012/10/the_walking_dead_blog_ricks_de.html

October 22, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  19. great show...

and we support it.

October 22, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Alice

Definitely the little per vo Carl. First he gets Lori pregnant and now he is spying in the other ladies. No wonder nobody trust him.

October 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  21. bad scripts

as usual

October 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  22. d

Merle, obvi

October 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Rick's hat

Will someone please take me off this nasty kids head??? I mean come on...I have been on here since the farm and this kid does not even bath or comb his hair....ok...just take me off and.....burn me...to hell with it..just burn me!!

October 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  24. mark

I read these "comments" all the time and amazed at how the "editor/writer" always gets things wrong! "The next time a horde of Walkers came at them" is not true, The prisoners had another chance at walkers and this time did go for the head. – If you are writing an article, know what you're talking about. Also "big tiny" was scratched by a broken right wrist of a walker (who broke out of handcuffs) not bitten. Again – explain it correctly or don't do it at all! With that said, I believe the "stalker" spying on Carol is human as why set-up that scene with another walker... doesn't make sense? I think the majority of fans might be debating whether to add the two prisoners to the group, or turn them away. They would make the group stronger, but have not earned any trust yet either. Last nights episode was superb as usual. Best show on TV.

October 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ann

I have a question ????? All the walkers are wandering around attracted by sound – unable to think – so how come the prisoner walker that got Big Tiny realized he had to get off the handcuffs ?

October 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Yoda

Ghost of Shane it was.....

October 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Johnny Cage

It's been a good season so far, i'm a little disappointed that they pussified Axel's character from the comic version, but I guess they need to mix a few character traits together from the comics to makeup for the fact that they don't exist in the tv series at all.

October 22, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  27. i understand the plot

and i support him 100%-i get it now...now worries

October 22, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  28. i understand the plot

and i support him 100%-amazing who you run into in a bar.

October 22, 2012 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  29. kat

I think the person spying on Carol is Merel. I don't think I want him to come back, just becasue I think that Daryl will side with him and everything will turn upside down again.

October 22, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  30. take a crap on a hacker.

October 22, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  31. Mark

What made the show for me was the Dancing With The Stars references. Guess Maggie was a fan before the virus hit.

October 22, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  32. Jenn

It was great. Did you see Carl making out with Lorie ?

October 22, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  33. Dee

I thought it was good episode. Can't wait till we see more of Andrea. I definately want to know who the man is who she was talking to. I also want to know who was watching Carol. I don't think it's human by the way it was breathing, but what do I know. hmm...

October 22, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  34. i was

out having fun. missed it.

October 22, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  35. Noochy

One of the inmates is a serial killer (who was watching)

October 22, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  36. Stan

Last nights episode was incredible. This season just seems to get better and better.

I knew their was friction between Carl and his father Rick. When it was revealed Carl is the father of Lori's unborn baby I now see why Rick is so upset. That was a stunner.

Then when the released the prisoners who then joined up with them to help rid the prison of Walkers, the action was overflowing. Dead zombie walkers everywhere.

An incredible series.

October 22, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
    • susan

carl is lori's 10 year old son...how the hell are you saying he's the father of her unborn baby?

October 22, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  37. Cheryl

Excellent show! Best line of the night was from Rick, when he closed the gate on Andrew – "You better run." Can't wait for the Governor to be introduced.

October 22, 2012 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |