Tori Spelling on being 'a mom warrior'
October 19th, 2012

Tori Spelling on being 'a mom warrior'

The arrival of Tori Spelling's fourth child, Finn Davey, was an exciting event, but it was even more thrilling considering that mom and baby almost didn't make it.

Spelling, 39, was diagnosed with placenta previa 20 weeks into her pregnancy, a condition that causes internal bleeding that could have been extensive enough to have led her physicians to terminate her pregnancy, Us Weekly reports.

At the time, the actress and reality star was worried about losing her son and losing her own life as well, as she held on through a 10-week hospital visit and four months of bed rest.

Spelling chose not to discuss how difficult her pregnancy was until after Finn arrived August 30, and she tells CNN that the decision was a tough one to stick to.

"The placenta previa, which is the condition that put Finn and I in the hospital that was potentially life-threatening, no one knew about that, and that was the hardest part for me," said Spelling, who just launched a new children's clothing line with JC Penney, Little Maven.

"There were many hard things about it, but a hard part of it for me was I'm so honest with everyone - that's what I love about my life and my celebrity is that I'm an open book, and I'm happy to be that way. Bad, good, I put it all out there. And I couldn't do that because medically, we didn't know what the outcome would be ... It was something I needed to keep private with my family and my close friends."

Even though she was in the hospital, Spelling maintained her blog, fooling everyone to the point that she would sometimes see photos of her with captions that said she was showing off her baby bump.

But, she told CNN, those were photos taken before she was in the hospital. With no one knowing what was really going on, "it was almost like this lie I had to keep from people, and that was really hard!"

And then, after Finn made his arrival, "I did have complications with my C-section from surgery and I had to have emergency surgery - [and] yeah, there were some not so nice things written," she said.

But while the words and headlines hurt, if anything, it's given her a tougher skin and made her even more of a "mom warrior."

"There's things you do and things you don't, like when you mess with me as a mom warrior," she said. "Everything I've been through, we're so grateful to be here, and then to have something else that actually took me out of the game from being a mom for quite some time ... and to say it was because it was elective plastic surgery, I was like, 'Uh-uh, don't mess with me as a mom.'"

1. brandonkelly2012

I gotta say, I'm getting a little tired of celebrities using their children to gain press. Perhaps if their careers were more on track they'd be able to speak to their work and not their offspring. I don't know Tori, from what I've read, she seems down to Earth and works hard, but in general I don't think people's kids should be out in front.

October 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. thetownchuckle

tori is not a racist either

October 22, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  3. derp

She is so ugly....

How ugly is she?....

Sarah Jessica Parker calls her "horse face".

October 22, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Toryindisguise

Tory, you are always so full of yourself!

October 22, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  5. crew

drinks in 20?

October 21, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. wonderful role model

for moms everywhere...she wants a big family but she needs to take a break now..she has a great marriage, great husband but she also needst to think of her health. she needs to take a baby break for a few years.

in terms motherhood and being a real wife...she's a great role model .

October 21, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

I think she is done cooking these little cuties...her body said : no more ! Absolutely four is more than enough. It's a house full ! I think one is enough considering we should be worried about overpopulation. Not everyone feels that way. Tori, enjoy your family and if you want more kids....adopt !

October 21, 2012 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. she wants a big family...

so?

October 21, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Tori

is an example of a wonderful wife and i support her 100%–these sweet darling men that have these terrible wives representing them is a disgrace–move on guys and look for what you truly need

October 21, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Manilla Osmond

some of you awful wives should take a lesson from tori (u).

October 21, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Penny

Tori s a very "real" person. Enjoy her every time I can catch a glimpse. Yes, she may have been left money but she appears to be very normal and takes care of her children. And if she wants to make money on television or by her brands that is her business. Hope to see more of you Tori!

October 21, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Moogie713

Tori Spelling is a spoiled rich girl and a home wrecker. She has no talent and apparently no common sense. To give birth to 4 children in such a short time is physically unhealthy not to mention socially and environmentally irresponsible. That is 6 children, including her hubbys from a previous marriage. If this is her legacy, she needs a tubal ligation!

October 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • moogie is messed up

Moogie, you are a disgusting human being. There's no law that states when a woman can have a child based on "social or environmental responsibility." It's not physically unhealthy to have all four of her children in a "short time." She can afford to have more than one child and you shouldn't be bitter about it.

She doesn't need a tubal ligation, but you seriously need sterilization so your stupid thoughts don't spread to your offspring.

October 21, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sokman

I saw her b00b on twitter. Her nlpples are huge

October 20, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. IMT

her father left her a billionaire..all she has to worry about are her great hub dean and the kids.
    she is a great young–great example to young couples.

October 20, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

Her father did not leave her hardly anything. All went to her mother and they were not even speaking. She pretty much started from scratch and did very well

October 21, 2012 at 7:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • theonlywrightone

her father did not leave her a billionaire. her mother saw to that!!!

October 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  14. cyrus345

TMI TMI as aways from that woman. What's she going to do for fame and $$ when she stops having kids. TMI

October 20, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. lyn

i see she has learned zero, still has no class and absolutely no sense of her children's privacy. She still makes her money off of really stupid people who devour reality TV shows. and she always will.

October 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Dean

has to be so proud of her as a wife.

October 20, 2012 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  17. she is

a great role model for being a mother and juggling a career.

October 20, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  18. sheryll

GLAD TO HEAR YOU AND BABY FINN ARE OK. WHAT A NICE FAMILY YOU HAVE NOW AND YOU ARE BLESSED !

October 20, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  19. tori's

the best - what time later?

October 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. still in

October 19, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dr. flo

That's pretty gross chubbs!

October 19, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Sarah McMillan

While it is great that Tori and Finn are okay, I too was diagnosed with placentia previa at 12 weeks. My life or my childs life was never in danger. I did start spotting and was put out of work. I was told not to pick up heavy things like a bag of cans from the grocery store and not to lift anything heavy. Now one morning in August, I woke up and went to the bathroom and started pouring blood. Went to the hospital and the next day my son was born 7 weeks early at 3 lbs. 8 oz. At not time did my doctor tell me my life or my sons life was in danger,

October 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denise

You are very blessed. I almost lost my son, then went through the terrible week of not knowing if he would make it. Trying to prepare myself, not bond(like that can happen, there's and immedieate bond). He pulled through and I was over the moon and prepared to take care of him the rest of his life. At age three he was tested extensively and we were told to expect him not to progress past the age of a six year old. No problem, he was my miracle. I had no idea at that point just how true that was. He is 19 now, a senoir in high school and has not made less than a 97 on his report card in the last 2 years. Sorry to babble, I just got carried away. I do tell all pregnant women that if anything seems strange or they are not sure of a symptom, go to the Dr.or hospital, if I had not, I would not have my boy. I just felt weird, got their and he had no respirations.

October 19, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcy

That is very nice. However, not everyone is/was as fortunate as you. My aunt almost lost her life, and ended up losing her child at 20 weeks due to placenta previa. There are varying degrees of the diagnosis, just consider yourself lucky...or blessed.

October 21, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • theonlywrightone

SARAHMCMILLAN you, me and tori went through a similar experience. yes, we all lived as did our children. my son was 3 weeks early and arrived 3 days ahead of his scheduled c-section.

October 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |