Joaquin Phoenix on 'the worst-tasting carrot'
October 18th, 2012

Joaquin Phoenix on 'the worst-tasting carrot'

Joaquin Phoenix may have turned in a critically praised performance in Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master," but it seems he's hoping he doesn't get any awards recognition for the role.

Speaking with Elvis Mitchell for Interview magazine - a profile that calls Phoenix's role in "The Master" "a triumphal return to the movies" - the 37-year-old actor says he's just not into that whole "awards circuit" thing.

"I'm just saying that I think it's bulls***. I think it's total, utter bulls***, and I don't want to be a part of it," Phoenix begins. "I don't believe in it. It's a carrot, but it's the worst-tasting carrot I've ever tasted in my whole life. I don't want this carrot."

It's not that he thinks he's "above" the awards aspect of being in Hollywood, but rather that he doesn't "want to get comfortable with that part."

"It's totally subjective," he continued. "Pitting people against each other . . . It's the stupidest thing in the whole world. It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when 'Walk the Line' was going through all the awards stuff and all that. I never want to have that experience again."

Well, given this interview, what do you think the odds are that he won't have to worry about that?

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. JoaquinFan

I don't care if he wins awards. I just want him to keep making movies. He literally makes my loins ache whenever I watch him. He's the only actor that I've ever had that reaction to; I have no idea what it is about him. He's simply magnetic and magnificent. (Sorry...I just watched "Two Lovers" the other night and I can't shake the memory.)

October 24, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. milagros

I'm not familiar with this fellows work. He looks old and sickly. He has pasty skin, receding hairline, and a grey hair patch showing on the side. He should get a nutritionist and see a doctor at the earliest opportunity.

October 23, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Alexi

This actor (and I hope he reads these comments) needs to realize that he is one of THE best actors of our time. Never mind that he comes from a family of actors – he has made a name for himself and doesnt need to prove anything to Hollywood or any one else. I absoulutely love his movies and will be hoping he wins an OSCAR in 2013! Go Joaquin- I'm rooting for you!

October 23, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sella Brenda Fonna

he's the best...

October 23, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. Marilyn

Glad to see Joaquin back, he is a great actor and needs to realize it. Hope he wins an academy award someday.

October 23, 2012 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Farfel Plickleflucker

Oh! I thought he was talking about his boyfriend's thingy. Well, ain't MY face red!!

October 22, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. I understand now...

and he will always get my vote-its ok.

October 22, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • sharon street

I totally understand his not wanting to go through the awards thing. For one reason, if he didn't win for "Walk the Line", I can see him throwing up his hands. He did an incredible job and I think Heath Ledger, who beat him, did also, but let's face it.....we were all (in our heads) really watching Johnny Cash. That, and his brother's tragedy, would have sent anybody over the top. Soooo glad you're back, Joaquin. You're one of my favorites!

October 22, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • sella brenda fonna

great comments

October 23, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tina

I get what he's saying. It's uncormfortable for him to be pitted against his fellow thespians. He's not downing others for wanting to take part in award ceremonies. He just doesn't want to be a part of it. And if you think about it, it is all bullcrap if it's not the public voting. So, you get my vote Joaquin. Uhh, no sorry. You don't get my vote. You know what I mean.

October 22, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. mind clear

i understand more about him now and its all good.

October 22, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  10. we adore

joaquinn and what he stands for

October 22, 2012 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. your never insult anyone

unless they start it.

October 22, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  12. LA

If you don't believe in awards shows, that's great. But it's a bit mutch to insult every other actor who does like them.

October 22, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Midge

glad its calm and quiet now–joaquinn is the best.

October 22, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  14. greeneyedirishlass

I can absolutely respect his perspective on the whole "awards" thing. For those who call him a nut-job, I view it differently. This is someone who is an actor because he loves what he does, apparently he loves the process too since he was willing to commit to a project that truly had people wondering about his sanity...it takes a serious commitment to take on a project like that, not caring what someone will think of you for having done it. But lets face it....most award shows are put on by the industry itself. The only one I feel is actually worth a damn is The People's Choice, everything else is industry related voting...where votes can be bought.

October 22, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. peacemonger

Joaquin, you're in show business, thats the gig...beats working 9 to 5!

October 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Runes77

This guy was the man in Gladiator.

October 20, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jo

I will never understand how he did not get an award for Walk the Line...it would sour anyone from awards shows....look at Johnny Depp....Our best actors...don't get awards. Awards are given out to our political fat mouths and lousy actors such as Brad Pitt!!

October 19, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

And what award did Pitt win? Not an Oscar. Nor an Emmy. A Tony? A Cleo? Certainly not after that dreadful perfume ad.

October 23, 2012 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  18. Gena

I think it's completely selfish of hiim. What about all the other people that work on his films that may appreciate the recognition. Shame on you Joaquin. Maybe you should donate 100% of your earnings too

October 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mike santos

good guy bad rap on this movie.

October 19, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Joaquin

is a very talented actor yet can be picky on carrot choice.

October 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  21. wrong

not many carrots–

October 19, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  22. derp

"It's a carrot, but it's the worst-tasting carrot I've ever tasted in my whole life"

I bet you have had a lot of carrots in your mouth Jokewin.

October 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jack Clauss

Neale Bancroft was good too!

October 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Thomas R. Clauss

Bob Waddington was a great Realtor.

October 19, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Toughy

need a refund? i'll give it to you

October 19, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  26. Love This Actor

joaquin is georgous...

October 19, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  27. Rebbeca

He sure doesn't mind the pay check that comes along with his choice of career!

October 19, 2012 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  28. G-Child

"Can I get a refund?!?! Whaaaaaaaat?..." I'd give anything for a bootleg of his rap album!! JP baby!

October 19, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  29. Rebbeca

I love the award shows and besides the money I am sure it is wonderful for the acotors/actresses to be recognized by thier piers and fans for thier efforts and performances. It's his choice not to go or be involved...the guy is a total freak anyway!

October 19, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  30. Lisa

Isn't this the guy who asked if he had a frog on his head?

October 19, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  31. Dumb

thought we would take a risk and put her near people..lolol...

October 19, 2012 at 6:09 am | Report abuse |
  32. joaquin

is my man....come forth.....

October 19, 2012 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  33. salleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

WHO CARES?

October 18, 2012 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  34. joaquin

now thats a man....janine on

October 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  35. photo

nked–please i'm shy

October 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Juan Q

I thought he quit acting. Anyway, he's right. Those award shows are geared toward white hollywood. How could any white actor would want to take part in an award show that only acknowledges white actors. There are plenty of good actors who are people of color(not the white color), but they failed to get any recognition. Oh once in a while the academy would throw in a few nominations for people of color but the majority of the nominations are for white actors only.It's been like that for years!! Good on you Joaquin not to be part of that one-sided racist mess!!!

October 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jazmeen

I agree. The coloreds should win more awards. They make good comedians and are really good at basketball. It really needs to be more equal like.

October 19, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Patines

Well since hollywood is control by jews, i guess they don't like too many colors.

October 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Photo Shoot?

bif

October 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  38. must be going!

nite nite

October 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Big Deal

do whatever you want Joaquin!

October 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  40. be quiet

Good for Joaquin! This only makes me love him more.

October 18, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  41. DougB

Marlon Brando and George C. Scott, both won Best Actor Oscars, both did not want to have anything to do with the Awards, neither showed up to receive their awards. Perhaps Phoenix's chances of being nominated are better than we think!

October 18, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Patines

...and he should be nominated, his performance is excellent and the movie is very good.

October 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Go Yankees

;)

October 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Lonnie

He is an incredible actor, but he is a nut job. He puts down the Oscars and calls it worthless and maybe it is, but he still takes that big fat check to the bank. I can't stand ungrateful people.

October 18, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meg

Yes he is an incredible actor. He may be slightly off as well. However, I totally agree with the guy when it comes to the Oscars. He better than you or I can attest to the "Circus" that follows when one is nominated. Does he get paid well for what he does? Absolutely!! But I bet you that if people were nominated quietly then the awards were given again quietly and one woud not have to deal with the 3 ring circus that is the Oscars I am sure he would be fine with it. But this whole deal that someone gets accolades and is revered and is given a little golden statue for dressing up and for make believe is ridiulous at best. I have never understood the whole thing. I know that a lot of the hollywood set buy into the whole ridiculous process but why knock a guy for speaking his mind about the ridiculousness that is the Oscars. He has every right out of many to talk about how crappy it is. If you are nominated and you win why not just deliver it via UPS why all the Crap that goes with it??? He is not undgrateful, he's just tired of the hoops one has to jump through I am sure. Nothing ungrateful in that or in speaking ones mind.

October 18, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |