50 years of the Rolling Stones
October 15th, 2012

Rolling Stones announce four new shows

The Rolling Stones are celebrating their 50th anniversary year in the best way fans could hope for - by returning to the stage.

The group announced Monday that they're set to play four arena shows in coming weeks: two in London and two in Newark, New Jersey.

The first set will happen at London's O2 arena on November 25 and 29, while the other pair of performances will play out in the Newark Prudential Center on December 13 and 15.

Fans can expect to hear old favorites like "Gimme Shelter" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash," as well as other cuts from the Stones' new compilation album, "GRRR! Greatest Hits," which will arrive November 13. We've already had a taste of the album with one of its two new songs, "Doom and Gloom," which was released last week.

To the fans who've grown weary waiting on the Stones' return, Keith Richards apologized in a statement for keeping "you all hanging around, but the waiting is over. I've always said the best place for rock and roll is on the stage and the same is true for the Stones. I'm here with Mick, Charlie and Ronnie and everything is rocking."

Tickets for the London shows go on sale October 19, with the sale date for the U.S. gigs arriving the following week, October 26.

Filed under: Music

1. john

GREAT TO SEE THESE GUYS BACK ON THE ROAD. SO THEY ARE OLD WHO CARES, THEY CAN STILL PLAY . THE SINGERS AND GROUPS OF TODAY CAN ONLY WISH THEY HAD THE TALENT OF THE STONES, QUEEN, ZEPPELIN, AEROSMITH, BEATLES ETC.... WHAT HAPPENED WITH MUSIC IT IS CRAP NOWADAYS. THANKFULLY THE STOMES ARE STILL AROUND TO REMIND US OF HOW GOOS ROCK N ROLL SOUNDS. GOOD FOR THEM, WE ALL GET OLD PEOPLE....

October 30, 2012 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. JPX

Does anyone really care about a Stones show in 2012.

October 22, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Meh

Ooops, I thought this was the 'Walking Dead' thread...

October 17, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Stones are the Standard

The Rolling Stones should do live shows as long as they are care to. This is a thank up to their fans, as they certainly have nothing to prove. To the comment about starting the show at 1 pm, not likely as they may come on at 1 am. They have done it before!

Go see them in person. It's an event that will leave you with an immense amount of respect for authentic musicians who can really play instruments, really write their own music, and don't resort to electronic trickery or lip-synch nonsense.

October 17, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. mick'sgirl

To say these guys are too old to continue their career is like saying Dustin Hoffman, Robert Deniro, and Al Pacino are too old to act any more. Wake up youthful ones! Classics get better with age... that's the definition of a classic (unlike Taylor Swift, B. Diddy, and Beeber).

October 17, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  6. big b

Old goats ought to hang it up. Great group, but man give it up dudes!!

October 17, 2012 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. Penelope Notop

I love the Rumbling Rocks or Rolling Stones or whoever they are. Their song "Hey Soul Sister" is da bomb!

October 17, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. John

Must need cash.....

October 17, 2012 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. Dekezivven

If you haven't seen them, then shut up with the old comments. They still rock hard.
    Rock and roll is still young and we've never had our stars grow old. Jazz, blues and country all have performers who play till they're old. Why not? Go Stones..... You keep me rockin' now!!!!!

October 16, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Giraffe Lady

Jealous people! Leave the "Stones" alone! They were and are far better than most of the music? out there today. If you had any idea of what good music was.....you'd understand. Old doesn't mean bad! Get a life!

October 16, 2012 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • mick'sgirl

Agreed. The new music will be forgotten tomorrow... if not by 3:30 today.

October 17, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  11. KEITH MOON

All shows start at 1PM so everyone including the band can get to Golden Corral for the senior discount and then off to bed.

October 16, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bubba Rydel

It's still not the real Rolling Stones without Bill Wyman and Brian Jones. I for one loved Mick Taylor's contributions during the late sixties and early seventies. He added a touch of sophistication to Keith Richard's Chuck Berry through a Marshall style of playing. I've never liked Ron Wood's playing. I loved the Stones in the sixties when they were chasing The Beatles style of Pop Rock. They wrote and performed some incredible music. After The Beatles broke up, they embraced their Blues roots and tried to go back to their Blues Roots. If I want to listen to blues I'll listen to Freddy King not The Stones. Count me out. These 70 year old pop starts are living on their past acheivements.

October 16, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom Hartman

Hey why shouldn't they live on past achievements? They have quite a few! I don't expect them to write "Satisfaction" again, anymore than I hope to hear another "Mrs Robinson" from Simon and Garfunkel or "Maybe I'm Amazed" from Sir Paul. Let's just be happy they can still all rock!

October 17, 2012 at 7:10 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sokman

How the h€ll is Keith Richards still alive???

October 16, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • HermanTurnip

Everyone knows that Keith cannot be killed by conventional weapons.

October 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. greendam10

Greatest band of all time!!! Seen em every tour since 78. Not to be missed!! people out here bashing the stones have the IQ of a houseplant although its not their fault the music thats out there now (and i use the word music loosly) is pure garbage!!!

October 16, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kencon28

You know this tour is sponsored by Old Man Smell, Ben-Gay, Bayer Aspirin, AARP, and Life Alert.

October 16, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. micklover

Gimme Shelter is one of those signature songs that you recognize the moment the first few notes are played. No one does it better. "Start me up" and turn it up LOUD! The Stones also were the first to use HUGE stages props during a concert like blowup girls and massive stage construction. Truly legendary.

October 16, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dottie

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhl4UW_gFfY&w=640&h=390]

October 16, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JBHedgehog

Hooray! More Rolling zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...can't these guys go away and mature up a bit? Get over yourselves. I can turn on any crappy US "Classic Rock" radio station in the US and get my fill of these guys.

Blech. Rock and Roll is for the youth and these guys aren't young.

And for those of you who are Stones fans...MOVE ON! You're stagnant like pond water. Cut your hair, dump your iPod and listen to something new.

October 16, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • James A. Trandel Sr.

I suppose he'd say the same if all 4 Beatles were playing together in Newark. I'm 54 and was into Rock n Roll at age 7 with my first transistor radio. I've been to Bonnaroo 8 or 9 times, got my favorite newer bands, and always listening to WMSE in Milwaukee Wi for the best of the new. But this is the best of the old that is still around and relavent.

This may be the last time, I don't know. Oh no!

October 16, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • RHN

Hey JB, as a bumper sticker I have says, "It's not that I'm old, your music really does suck!"

October 16, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • tomnikoly

"all 4 Beatles were playing together in Newark."

Would that they were....

October 17, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
    • retief1954

Relax, JBHedge. What're you so angry for? That's a lotta nasty spew you just put up there.

October 17, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • WILEY

Yo, Hog...make sure to flush next time

October 26, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Humberto

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDnJ0vXUgw&w=640&h=390]

October 16, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  20. mcox

Yes, I saw them in '69 and haven't been able to afford tickets since...

October 16, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  21. lindaluttrell

You keep us rockin' Mick! Disappointed there's not a bigger US tour...

October 16, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • beckycool2u

My sister's are going to the show on Sat in N.J. Would of went but between airfare to get there and the ticket I had to pass :(

October 24, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  22. todd

Two shows in the USA and they pick a dump like Newark?

October 16, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  23. Heywood

There is a reason that they are called the worlds greatest rock and roll band.

October 16, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  24. musiclover

The Rolling Stones were fabulous in their day and still rock! For those who understand the history of how things got to where we are...they are classic rock and roll and always will be. An act that cannot be copied by anyone.

October 16, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  25. Elaine

Of course, the Rolling Stones are still relevant. They are amazing live.

October 16, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  26. brian jones

Sod eez poofs one direction ere much more cheeky n anita pallenberg sa weeetch! Pooooh bear!

October 16, 2012 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  27. Larry

Best show you can see! I'd love to go!

October 16, 2012 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  28. Mitt R.

Does anyone truly care about the Stones anymore? With groups such as One Direction, Big Time Rush, and Train, the Rolling Stones have been cast aside as irrelevant. Today's groups are much more talented and write songs with much more meaning.

October 16, 2012 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul R.

Mitt, you are so right. The Rolling Stones are old and should be forgotten. They are yesterday's news. Big Time Rush rocks!!!!! Ke$ha is the bomb!!!! The Stones could take a lesson or two from today's artists.

October 16, 2012 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
    • weezer

Yeah Mitt - we'll see how many of your favorite groups are around after five years, not to mention fifty. While they might not be as relevant as they used to be (despite influencing the groups you like) they produced hit records for more than 30 years. There are probably less than five artists that can claim that.

October 16, 2012 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Mitt R.

gawdammed I am one stupidmaroon

October 16, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • realitystrike

Train = Rolling Stones? Not quite.

October 16, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Juls

Are you kidding me?
      the Rolling Stones are arguably one of the greatest rock and roll bands of all time.

The groups you mention are over produced. They don't write their own songs. They don't play their own instruments. The are auto-tuned. That isn't a rock band.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about

October 16, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • BABAK FROM LA

Big Time Rush? ... Really? ... May if you are a teenager.

October 16, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • 7nationals

Hey Mitt you had me going there for a minute until I "got" the screen name. Great Sarcasm.

October 16, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Sherri

I've never seen them, and since they were one of the big groups of my generation, I'd like to. But tickets? I bet they will be several hundred dollars and very hard to come by. Yeah, I know they're old, but so am I! It would still be great to see them, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc. all of whom I've missed.

October 16, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  30. Bill Wyman

I wouldn't go if it was free.......

October 15, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heywood

Obviously, when they gave out brains and taste you declined also.

October 16, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Bubba Rydel

Heywood.....what a re tard.....Bill Wyman was the original bass player with the Rolling Stones. He quit over ten years ago.

October 16, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  31. A Nolte

Take note Zeppelin.

October 15, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Dr. C

I'd love to see them if Mick Taylor is playing with them

October 15, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  33. jujubeans

The Can't Start Me Up tour?

October 15, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Ned

I saw them live during the Streets of Albatross tour. It was awesome.

October 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • lroy

This is one of the few bands that I've always wanted to see but never have had the chance. With only four shows, good luck getting those tickets.

October 15, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • keef

What tour? Do you mean Bridges to Babylon?

October 15, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. portalpunk

I am soooooo firsty

October 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matthew Black

No: you are soooooooo STUPID.

October 15, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlie Ammen

portalpunk, I with Matthew. How dare you express joy when everyone knows that life is nothing, but a deep, dark pit of dispair? Gee, I wonder if they'll play 'Paint It Black'. Oops! I had a positive thought. Where'd I put that oxycontine?

October 15, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matthew Black

Charlie Ammen, its got NOTHING to do with 'expressing joy' – I just think you are being sarcastic. Portal Punk is a nuisance, plain and simple who crops up everywhere, trying to be some sort of minor pop-cultural rebellious 'hero' – FAIL!!. But I will grant him one compliment: he is by no means the biggest pest who hangs out on the CNN and Marquee Blog comments sections. No; that prize goes to the text bombing and spamming moron who has been dumping pages of gibberish and Bible quotes on nearly every page around here. If ever a Troll needed an act of violence done to them, that Fool does...

October 16, 2012 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Portal Puke!

I thought you had died a slow, horrible, lingerind death that stripped you of all your dignity (of which you had so little to start).

But it seems you are still alive.

Sad....I prefered the first option.

You tallentless hack.

October 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  36. SmarterthanU

The last time I saw them was Steel Wheels. For concert lovers, a show not to be missed!

October 15, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |