'Boardwalk Empire': The iron man cometh
October 15th, 2012

'Boardwalk Empire': The iron man cometh

[Editor's Note: This post contains spoilers for the October 14 episode of HBO's "Boardwalk Empire."]

Sunday's episode, “You’d Be Surprised," was full of them - surprises, that is. There was a plethora of “OMG” and “WTF” moments from start to finish.

In a way, the entire 58 minutes opened and (more or less) ended with Gyp Rosetti.

Things kicked off with arguably one of the show’s weirdest sex scenes (yes, almost on par with the Jimmy-sleeping-with-mom scene from last season). It looks like "Boardwalk Empire's" taking a cue from the "sex scenes that will make you cringe" schtick that “True Blood” has down to a science.

While Gyp was enjoying getting choked while doing the nasty, Rothstein, Nucky and even Eli weighed in on how to handle the new bad guy.

In one of the best monologues of the show, Rothstein let Nucky know that while he may now be gangster full-time, chasing women (Billie Kent) and taking his eye off the ball is bad for his business. Give it up to Michael Stuhlbarg for making Rothstein one of TV’s most eloquent gangsters ever.

Speaking of Mr. Thompson, he was the big loser for the night. First, he had to bully his way into getting Edie Cantor to save Billie’s failing show.

Granted, it was via the episode's second-best scene, in which Chalky White and Piano Purnsley (the name I gave him) scared Cantor into not refusing Nucky’s offer. Those two as enemies-turned-dynamic duo is just plain awesome.

Then Nucky got caught by Margaret dress shopping with Billie. Later they argued about their now God-awful relationship, and even with Margaret’s defiance, Nucky reminds her who feeds her kids and keeps her in designer clothes. Yet and still, as Nucky tends to all of this, business runs with or without him.

This can’t be good, because over in Washington, a hearing takes place where the government is questioning Attorney General Harry Daugherty’s work with prohibition. We learned thanks to Gaston Means, my new favorite show creeper who was waiting outside, that for Daugherty’s team to be cut some slack they’ll have to start arresting the men who bring them business - bootleggers. Why not Nucky?

And what about Van Alden? His storyline started to drag a bit but took a crazy turn. Long story short, a Prohee Van Alden encountered wanted to chat with him about a bad iron Van Alden sold to him. In a bit of miscommunication, Van Alden’s wife thinks the Prohee wants to arrest her husband, so she clubbed him with an iron. The two proceeded to then suffocate the Prohee.

What does it all mean, you ask? It means Van Alden went back to Dean O’Banion’s flower shop asking for help getting rid of the body.

I did say, “crazy,” right? Probably because I was thinking about Gillian, a.k.a Mama Jimmy. As per usual, she was still in some crazy denial that Jimmy is dead (as are some of the commenters). She can’t get the help she needs to run the Artemis club without Jimmy being legally declared dead. She won’t accept it and even writes a letter to dead Jimmy. She needs a friend. Wonder if she’ll call Gyp for that service.

Speaking of women on the move, Margaret’s whole hospital storyline gets increasingly boring by the episode. She struggled with building buzz for her women’s health class and yeah, you didn’t miss much. It’s time the show starts utilizing the genius that is Kelly Macdonald.

Let's get back to where there was some action: we saw Rothstein and Lucky Luciano meet with Gyp, and we were led to believe a new partnership was formed after that verbal lashing Nucky got from Arnold.

Well, thank goodness for the live-wire known as Benny Siegel. The episode closed out with Benny disguising himself as a paperboy and trying to kill Gyp, who was busy with the whole S&M thing again. Spoiler alert: Gyp survives, but his men and the poor gal he was “making love” to weren’t so lucky.

The overhead shot of a naked Gyp walking through the blood bath with a belt still tied around his neck gave me chills (and was the best scene by far). I fear for any other character that crosses Gyp’s path going forward, especially Nucky and Rothstein.

What did you guys think? I’m still a bit speechless.

1. jag51

I too am totally addicted to this show and plan my Sunday evening around it. There are so many different storylines going on right now, it's hard to guess how they will all play out, especially when you consider that the writers have no problem having anyone whacked off (sorry, I still miss Jimmy). I'm still rooting for Richard to surface again and wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Nucky's corner. Agree with some other commentors, however, regarding the weird fascination Nucky has for his newest honey while his empire is crumbling all around him. I know his character is essential to the show, but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't end up in a wheelchair at some point if he doesn't get his act together soon (Momma Gillian maybe?). Too many enemies to be wasting time on a new girlfriend, who probably isn't really a "friend" at all (remember the ringing phone). Margaret's character is constantly evolving, but she will seek some companionship at some point, which would be more interesting than the weekly dribble over pre-natal care for women.

October 20, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
    • jag51

Oops! I totally forgot to mention Van Alden. It's a given he's primed to go all gangster on everyone. The interesting part will be to watch and see who, when and how he gets revenge. This ex-Fed has got a lot of pent up anger and resentment and is ready to explode. Stay tuned....I know I will.

October 20, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. Glen

The guy that plays Gyp is awesome!

October 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bex

I hope Van Alden goes gangster, he's already proven he's got the chops. He's a feckin' psychopath.

October 16, 2012 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. Regina

I am absolutely in love with Bobby Canavale ever since will & grace but now since BE he's my new crush...still behing Mark Wahlberg but a close 2nd. Keep Gyp Rosetti on the show. OMG and the view from above last night was outstanding....LOL

October 15, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. El Mongo

Best episode of the season.

October 15, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. elen

we'll see you shortly

October 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Elen

OMG!!! Gyp is a hoot....lmao! Crazy mad I tell ya...crazy mad!!! And my man Chalky White and his side kick...wow..
    talk about intimidation...I Loooooooove this show.... was a huge fan of Nucky Thompson, however this whole p...y-whip mentallity is wearing thin.... and its not like Billie is all that...but...guess her 'skills' work just fine for ole Nuck...
    Gyp....what a character...and Benny....he needs to go back to the firing range...nice frontal view Gyp...hmmm....lol...
    Gyp makes BE this season and therefore will NOT...I repeat will NOT be killed off...not yet anyway... however just like little Jimmy....he has to go...when...we'll just have to wait and see. But great injection into this series...
    I'm riding Eli's band wagon this week also...snitch/back stabber turned good guy??? Ms. Margaret...give her some slack...I like how she handle's her business...her lines will eventually pick up...I'm just waiting for her to slam dunk the nun at the hospital...lmao.... no pun intended...but she works my last nerve I can imagine how Margaret feels...

good show...

October 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margaret

Best show on television by far. Makes me wish I lived back in the 1920s. I'd get a cool job at the cotton mill or work on the farm. That musta been the life.

October 15, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Margaret Honey

flip on soon

October 15, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. here right?

lost 10-still hvy-running 5am–train said my gut is going down..i'm on schedule..the next 10 will be better
    train said as long as the numbers keep going down ...we have it made. 35 min on tread. trying to
    get back to 1 hr. he's will be 48 next mo..... i may go for the 30 after 20 arms and legs...he wants the heavy
    off before arms and legs training. lol

October 15, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Danielle

We adore the little talking animated dog. And that baby named Stewie. Already smoking cigars at 2 years old. He is gonna give those old time gangsters a run for their money.

October 15, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Emily

Their clothes don't look itchy or uncomfortable at all.

October 15, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jennifer

This is my absolute favorite show on tv. They have extra cool antique cars and their clothes look so comfy. Plus Nucky has the coolest name. I know seven people called Nucky so it must be fairly common as a nickname. This is a great show.

October 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. goodness

This can’t be good, because over in Washington, a hearing takes place where the government is questioning Attorney General Harry Daugherty’s work with prohibition. We learned thanks to Gaston Means, my new favorite show creeper who was waiting outside, that for Daugherty’s team to be cut some slack they’ll have to start arresting the men who bring them business – bootleggers. Why not Nucky?

October 15, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chip Douglas

They send a rookie to wack Gyp? Nucky needs to hire Richard to put a bullet 1" below Gyps eye ASAP.

October 15, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |