Tom Hanks to make Broadway debut
October 11th, 2012

Tom Hanks to make Broadway debut

Tom Hanks is ready for the bright lights of Broadway.

The Hollywood star is making his debut on the Great White Way in a play from the late Nora Ephron called "Lucky Guy," set amidst the scandals and corruption plaguing New York City in the '80s - "a grand and glorious time to be in the tabloid business," as Ephron puts it in her play.

Hanks will portray tabloid columnist Mike McAlary, the Pulitzer-winning journalist who had a turbulent but successful career prior to his death in 1998.

Although this is his first time on Broadway, Hanks is no stranger to the theater - he made his professional entrance in a production of "Taming of the Shrew" at Cleveland, Ohio's Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival, and performed with that company for three seasons.

Directed by George C. Wolfe, "Lucky Guy" will have a limited run at the Broadhurst Theatre. Previews begin on March 1,2013, with opening night bowing on April 1.

Filed under: Celebrities • theater • Tom Hanks

1. mo B

I have always enjoyed Tom Hanks movies:Big,Forrest Gump.Does anyone remember the one where his plane crashes and he is stranded on a Island all alone. Castaway,thats it. wish I could name all of them.

October 15, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. he doesn't have to go out

with rita wilson he can remain home-there is no cheating

October 12, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. does he cheat on his wife?

i don't think he ever did

October 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. guest

LOVE Tom Hanks! My favorite actor!

October 12, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. Still Here - Pray

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:

6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.

7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:

9 For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

11 If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood, let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause:

12 Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; and whole, as those that go down into the pit:

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

15 My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

18 And they lay wait for their own blood; they lurk privily for their own lives.

19 So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the life of the owners thereof.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,

22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

October 12, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  6. pia

people- lets try to keep our blogging nice and clean. We do not want to hear about pooping and other unclean words.

October 12, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. Proof-Pray

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

October 12, 2012 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dropthewhaledown--bye

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;

25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.

28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:

29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord:

October 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply

October 12, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  9. tom hanks - love him

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

October 12, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  10. Still Here-Pray For her

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

October 12, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • jan

can we also leave the religious propaganda out? it's as bad as the swearing and bs-

October 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. radiobroadcaster

IF YOU CANNOT SAY SOMETHING WITHOUT BEING STUPID AND TRASHY THEN STOP ! Tom Hanks is a great and magnificent actor who transforms his character role into reality! His broadway role will be perfectly portrayed! I am sure he will receive rave reviews!

October 12, 2012 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. Oooops

Seems I pooped my bed while I was sleeping...

October 12, 2012 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Oooops

Wow, u must be a Mammy copycat! What a loser. Go back to pumpin your buddy's plump rump, you chump!!

October 12, 2012 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. Sokman

Haven't cared for anything he's done fron DaVinci Code on. Should do good on the stage though. His exaggerated body languge & facial expressions should translate well

October 12, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. Bronx N.Y.

Here's the deal with this guy!!!! He's a brilliant actor but his political affiliations & the money that's played with has a lot to be desired & or questioned.Would I purchase tickets for this one,you betcha!!!

October 11, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bagladyboutique

Reblogged this on Bag Lady Boutique.

October 11, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Boohincus

The theater is hard work. It's always galling when a fat cat like Hanks finally gets bored with the tedium of movie making and braves the stage again and everyone gushes about how wonderful it all is. If this guy wants to call himself an actor he should've been doing a play a year or every other year for the last twenty years. Movies= big money, easy pickings.

October 11, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Tru dat

Tom blew me this morning. And swallowed.

October 11, 2012 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rustyy

Loved him on Bosom Buddies, after that, meh....

October 11, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mammy says

I typically poop twice daily.

October 11, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mammy suks

Mammy is a loser trollin the blogs. We are tired of your lame humor. Maybe you can come up with something more original than poop. Your mommy should take away your computer lil boy...fricken fairy!

October 12, 2012 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  20. Go Yanks!

yayyy

October 11, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  21. enjoyingrocky

Our beloved tom hanks is sold out already for 2013...i hope i am able to see him on broadway. its will be a great year for broadway...lots of famous people are ny this year....christie brinkley was in starbucks yesterday saying hello to fans, paul mcartney was recently having lunch in the skating area–winter will be fun this year at rocky.

October 11, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. banasy©

He just seems too nineteen eighties.

Click on my name if you wish to chat.

October 11, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • CAGE

Well thats good, cause the play is set in the 80's. You big dumb dumb.

October 11, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • pendingproof

Gee, 'Cage', I'm guessing you won't be wanting to 'chat' with barnassy...

October 11, 2012 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |