Taylor Swift's 'no rules' approach to love
October 11th, 2012

Taylor Swift's 'no rules' approach to love

As evidenced by some of her songs, Taylor Swift's pretty in love with talking about love - falling in it, falling out of it, and all of the things that happen in between.

And so it follows that, during an interview with Rolling Stone, Swift found herself sharing her personal love philosophy:  "The way I look at love, you have to follow it, and fall hard, if you fall hard. You have to forget about what everyone else thinks. It has to be an us-against-the-world mentality," she said.

"You have to make it work," she went on, "by prioritizing it, and by falling in love really fast, without thinking too hard. If I think too hard about a relationship I'll talk myself out of it...I have rules for a lot of areas of my life. Love is not going to be one of them."

At the moment, Swift happens to be in like, at least, with Conor Kennedy. Swift's got a few years on him - she's 22, he's 18 - but he's still an adult, as she frankly reminded the rumormongers.

The gossip was that Swift "kidnapped" the Kennedy teen from high school, and flew him to Nashville on her private jet. But given that he's of legal age, Swift doesn't understand where this whole "kidnapping" thing came from.

"How did I kidnap him? You can't kidnap a grown man!" she tells Rolling Stone. "These are serious accusations, now!"

And that's not the only one that's been lobbed at Swift since she began a romance with Conor - over the summer, she was accused of crashing a family wedding he was invited to.

Her rep said that wasn't the case at the time - although Kathie Lee Gifford and the mother of the bride begged to differ - and Swift says now that she would "never."

"I think that story was based on the biggest misunderstanding, 'cause I would never knowingly show up somewhere that I thought I wasn't invited to," the country singer said. "And I would never want to upstage anybody."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music • Taylor Swift

1. The Girl Is Lost

Look at her left hand in this pic! She has already signed on to the agenda of the pigs that are running the music industry: She has sold out. She didn't have to do it - but she did. Truth will prevail.

October 29, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • lel

uh huh. sure. and every underground heavy metal band has also "sold out" even though nobody has heard of them.

October 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. long hair weave

You have proven that you are qualified to write on this topic. The facts that you mention and the knowledge and understanding of these things clearly reveal that you have a lot of experience.

October 18, 2012 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sheldon Wu

First of all,I have to say that I am a big fan of Taylor Swift. I really enjoy listening to her songs. Her voice is so unique,her image is so pure and fresh,and her skills in song-writing are so amazing,despite her young age. Those feelings about love and growth that she conveys in her songs can easily find an echo in us,and I think it is safe to say that she is a brilliant,one-of-a-kind country singer. However,when I saw this article,I felt a little uncomfortable and upset. Taylor Swift seems no longer the innocent girl she used to be. She is growing up,but it seems that she is not growing more mature. I like the way she was,not having such a complex love life. And I hope she will realize someday that there are always rules in love,and you've got to follow them. To sum it up,I hope that she will bing back her image as an innocent and energetic young girl,only maturer. After all,we all love her as a great singer. Looking forward to seeing more excellent music works of yours,Swift!

October 15, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  4. you know the old saying...

she's smart but she ain't that bright...

October 14, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Negative, in down

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:

6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.

7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:

9 For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

11 If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood, let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause:

12 Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; and whole, as those that go down into the pit:

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

15 My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

18 And they lay wait for their own blood; they lurk privily for their own lives.

19 So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the life of the owners thereof.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,

22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
    27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.

28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:

29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord:

October 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply

October 12, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. When In-Push Down

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

October 12, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. Pray for Negative Behavior

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord:

October 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply

October 12, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  8. PushDown-

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

October 12, 2012 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  9. Rosey

Nice story but in reality it can't be happen i think and there is no rule for love its real as I feel in my 4 years relationship.

October 12, 2012 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sokman

She has s€xy eyes, & I like her b00bs

October 12, 2012 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  11. SusieQ

I used to really like her, now I just feel sorry for her. She is one immature girl for being
    22. I do feel maybe music and success have stolen part of her growing up years. Too
    bad she couldn't have done things like go to college.

October 11, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Leigh

No one is on her deathbed saying "I fell in love too many times and too hard", but plenty of women will go to the grave wishing they had loved more – just saying.

October 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. I don't find her crazy at all...

its all in that ny state of mind...

October 11, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. I can't believe

anyone would date her. She is crazy.

October 11, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  15. see u after

class

October 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ;p;

I love how the backup singers are looking at her like she's crazy

It's the right look to give her

October 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. derp

Taylor take a "no rules" approach to love.

That makes sense seeing as how she takes a "no talent" approach to music.

October 11, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Amy

She just needs to grow up. I agree with Pliny.

October 11, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sera

9th Grade Joe, half of 15 plus 7 is 14.5, not 12. Also, Taylor Swift's one wonderful singer but sometimes I wish she'll write less about her love relationships in her songs.

October 11, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Pliny

Thank you for printing this fascinating article.

I've always wanted to have a 22 year old girl tell me about love.

Next, I want her to discuss 'My Pretty Pony' accessories.

(I shall now cut off my right hand for clicking on this article)

October 11, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • @pliny

Yeah, I hear ya! I've been married longer than she has been alive. What she knows about love would fit into a thimble. lol...

October 11, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Public Enemy Number 2

The rule is: If they're half your age plus 7, you're good to go. She's 22, he's 18. Half her age is 11, plus 7 is 18. She's in the clear. Math, b¡tches.

October 11, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • 9th Grade Joe

I'm 15 so half my age plus 7 is about 12. My mom would nock my head in if I had a 12 year old girlfriend.

October 11, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Johnny Law

-she needs to find something else to sing about. Stop moping into a microphone.

October 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erin

i happen to think that she can sing about love because i her as a singer.so stick a sock were the sun don't shine

October 17, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |