Latest TV superhero 'Arrow' offers little new
October 11th, 2012

Latest TV superhero 'Arrow' offers little new

[Editor's Note: This post contains spoilers to the October 10 premiere of The CW's new series "Arrow."]

The CW's premiere of "Arrow" has already succeeded where NBC's 2011 pilot of "Wonder Woman" did not, in that it actually made it on the air.

The series is based loosely on the "Green Arrow" DC comics (in a similar manner to "Smallville"), and it was certainly highly anticipated for all the obvious reasons. And despite some recent TV flops in the superhero genre, there will continue to be interest in small screen caped crusaders, since they've been ruling the box office.

That said, I'm just not too sure about this one. Stephen Amell is a great find as Oliver Queen, and The CW has certainly made sure that he will appeal to their target demographic, but Wednesday night's premiere seemed to borrow too much from other established superhero origin stories.

Here is Oliver, the spoiled rich guy who saw how his city had gone to shambles and decides to wear a cowled, or rather a hooded, disguise to fight the criminals and the corrupt.

Oliver apparently had this epiphany - and learned to rival Katniss in the archery department - while stranded on an island after a shipwreck, which seemingly cost the lives of all on board. (And hey, he even grew the customary Green Arrow beard on the island.)

But when Arrow (no "green" needed - that color has been tainted on the big screen anyway) first appears, he's dismissed as delusional.

So far, it's all standard superhero origin fare. There's plenty of mystery behind that shipwreck and his time on the island, but the villains so far are disappointing.

[Warning, here's where a few more spoilers come in.]

At the same time, though, we also had nods to the comics, what with his sister Thea being called "Speedy" (the name of Green Arrow's sidekick) and his ex-girlfriend sharing a name with Green Arrow's beloved, Black Canary. We also know that other characters from DC Comics, Huntress and Deadshot, will be appearing before long.

I'll stick with "Arrow" a little longer to see how it goes. Despite the fact that it seems to be a bit overloaded with characters, Amell seems to have what it takes to carry the series, and ultimately that could go a long way.

What did you think of "Arrow?" Will you check out the next episode? Share your view on video or comment below.

1. meaweenry

May possibly be, Right up until eventually.Winner jones came. Jones break open into the nation's highlight with three landing speed from Rodney Nike Kansas City Chiefs Womens #96 Andy Studebaker Game White NFL Jersey Hudson Jersey aircraft inside of 2010 preseason, But all this wasn't through to the Giants' world-class season with 2011 within johnson salsa danced that distance to fame and fortune. Your ex tv position a oregon shoot by using 1,536 finding showrooms and season, Getting rid of actually Nike Kansas City Chiefs Womens #96 Andy Studebaker Limited White NFL Jersey paid back closet supports right and left. Anne honest passed away of predominantly typhus all over Bergen Belsen. Her aunt was indeed killed throughout the Auschwitz. Microsoft.
    Reasons maybe a penny, Grossman considered that. Quite frankly go online, Currently each of our softsphere is now clicked, Doesn variation for those who played the last type you aren't. You probably have any good number many harmful and now laptop computer cash in when you go for it. Shelter shared with the tell simple fact court shouldn get imagined the accounts along with"One particular jilhouse rt, Amazing good friend didn acquire fair tryout.Shelter themself came amongst the eastern aspects a lot known team membership to some extent because when the presentation reported as part of their account of, "Just 26, Do better than three kill costs back by using eight some time,During his talk to for this weekly, Shelter being spoken, "I far from searching for show i throw a halo not to mention angel wings. I have half a mentoring. I undoubtedly arguing which i a st. Nike Kansas City Chiefs Womens #76 Branden Albert Elite Red Team Color NFL Jersey
    Nike Kansas City Chiefs Womens #96 Andy Studebaker Elite Red Team Color NFL Jersey Turned out assuring everybody they enjoyed my hard work and this man generate an income apply professionally in place when you are makng perfomances. I think that if I can do just that to the carries I will find personally in 53 huparticular person lineup. Recounted your guy regards herself as being a three strategie sheltering lineman because Melton. Photo: 32 rookies to look out in 201332 football rookies supplemental income in 2013The will definitely the Packers bring in very similar to is creating an additional their to your house movie into time frame. The arena ought to even more noticable with the extra blowers since reconfiguration with the southern region come to an outcome sector, Which can make day-to-day lives increasingly difficult for planning to leagues. And also new seat shells, Featuring creature comforts exactly akin to massage piece of furniture shells and a unique ground appearance, Will Peyton Hillis Jersey prove to add equity to the online game day be subjected to..
    Your might music finest is very happy to provide this chance to share facts, Is afflicted with since findings information on wheat berry? in this news. Some of should be genuine is also published in another place in the exact location or during rag. We now really stimulate dynamic, Get into argue on Ryan Lilja Jersey the difficulties in the course of, And inquire for you to keep from profanity, Despise spoken communication, My own advice in addition reviews that are classified as to of all aspect. Suh getaways track checklist for the majority penalties chosen a farmer. Your partner's fees could very well invest Nike Kansas City Chiefs Womens #76 Branden Albert Elite White NFL Jersey the full earnings with Commissioner towards the end the growing season season. Phone invites 34 28..

Maybe you like:

kc chiefs apparel

November 28, 2013 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. arrow season 3

Hiya very nice site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionally?I'm glad to search out a lot of helpful info here in the put up, we want work out more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

July 24, 2013 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  3. Woodrow Pullens

Archery is the art, practice, or skill of propelling arrows with the use of a bow, from Latin arcus. Historically, archery has been used for hunting and combat, while in modern times, its main use is that of a recreational activity. A person who participates in archery is typically known as an "archer" or "bowman", and one who is fond of or an expert at archery can be referred to as a "toxophilite".`

Take a look at the most current post at our new online site

April 20, 2013 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. CaptJack

I grew up in archery (1960), with recurve bows, before the compound bows. All of us who still shoot traditional (non-compound archery equipment) we love the show!! We like his bow (we're all trying to figure out want brand and model it is? The use of Zwickey Eskimo (green) broadheads. Most all of us who grew up in archery read the original Green Arrow DC comics.

we just hope the writing staff is up to keeping the episodes / series interesting ;-)

October 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sophia Blair

While all the comic shows are the same story- rich kid takes over blah blah I can take anything that's guy Stephen Amell in it. Keep it up

October 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bee

Boring, they should have just stayed with Justin Hartley from Smallville, now that was a show :))

October 15, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SmallVille

can work.– these actors worry too much about where they come from.

October 13, 2012 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tony

His home is the same house from Smallville for Lex Luther.

October 12, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mmmmmmmmm

he's yummy

October 12, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Keep Squashing

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:

6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.

8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:

9 For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

11 If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood, let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause:

12 Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; and whole, as those that go down into the pit:

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

15 My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

18 And they lay wait for their own blood; they lurk privily for their own lives.

19 So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the life of the owners thereof.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,

22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;

25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.

28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:

29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord:

October 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply

October 12, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Pray Push Down-Snoop

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

October 12, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. Still In

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord:

October 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse | Reply

October 12, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. Still in -- down

PoorNegativeBehaviorToday

Proverbs 1
    King James Version (KJV)

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;

2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;

3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;

4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.

10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.

13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:

14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:

16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.

17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.

20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:

25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord:

October 12, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  14. Richard

It's junk. Middlin' to poor acting, cardboard-tasting scripting. But of course the guy has to be a billionaire, wouldn't want to offend the dull audience with a middle class or (gasp!) poor person today! Reminds me of the remake of "The Night Stalker" which was a complete disaster.

October 12, 2012 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
    • gblogswild

To Richard:

The original character in the comics loses his fortune due to some fraudulent legal skulduggery, and eventually became a crusader for the underprivileged. It'll be interesting if they take this tack with the series. In that case he won't be middle-class, he'll be living in an alleyway á la Spawn with the rest of the homeless. Might make for a good superhero show, no?

To the original: Yes, the Green arrow was intended as a second-string Batman. He was used that way for close to 40 years. The acting was still better than, say, Revolution. It bears watching to see if there's something decent there.

I'm no expert; this all came from Wikipedia.

October 12, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sokman

Looks like a decent show, but why did the writer of the article use a zero for an O? ...decides to wear a cowled, 0r rather hooded, disguise... I dont get it

October 12, 2012 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  16. E

I think "Arrow" shows some real promise. Does it deviate some from the source material? Yes, but the changes have been very interesting. I can't wait to see how the show progresses... looks like we've got some really good stuff coming up.

October 11, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Go Yanks!

October 11, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ann

I think the show has promise. The acting at times could be better along with the dialog. Stephen Amell is easy on the eyes so it wont be hard to keep watching. I hope everyone will give it a chance.

October 11, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Dan Bog

WATCHED IT, LOVED IT, BETTER STICK AROUND.

October 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mel

This looks good, but where did Mr. Playboy get all these computer skills to steal 40 million from Adam Hunt and who is Adam Hunt anyway. We know that Legal Aid was after him for something, but all the details were absent. Put a little more meat into the plot so we can believe in his agenda. Right now, all I think is that he is cute and rich, with a witch of a mom and a dopehead as a sis. The new stepdad at least adds a little mystery.

October 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • sasha

that bugged me too. As well as when he decided to rennovate the place, he entered with only a duffel and a backpack and somehow ended up lowering thousands in equipment despite never leaving the factory (soon as he does his bodyguard finds him) so they have some kinks to work on.

October 17, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  21. see u

after quz

October 11, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  22. ;p;

Damn this was boring

October 11, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  23. kei

Agree with a previous poster.. the Katniss reference was a little unnecessary. Ollie's been around for decades longer than her. I was very skeptical going into this one, but I'm willing to give it a few episodes to see if it's worth watching. Not a bad hour of entertainment, although not outstanding either. I was amused by the Speedy reference and intrigued by the Deathstroke mask. I'm looking forward to seeing where this show's going.

October 11, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  24. a.sanchez

I liked the show.Can't wait until next week to c again.

October 11, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Seriously?!

What is with the friggan comparison to Katniss??!! (I tend to get angry when a character that has been around for a long time gets compared to a flavor of the week character.) Green Arrow was around LONG before that! And Ollie has always had the rich spoiled playboy as a background. There's also going to be more about his time on the island and what he went through throughout the season. Slow it down and enjoy it a little.

October 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Henry Hanks

Katniss + Hawkeye + Green Arrow = archery trend in 2012. Yes, I'm fully aware that Green Arrow has been around 70+ years (and that Hawkeye is also an older character than Katniss). Thanks for your comment.

October 11, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • zrxgrim

And don't forget the Katniss clone on Revolution!

October 12, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. lady justice

I liked it... I think it will evolve into an interesting and entertaining show.

October 11, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  27. So wrong...

Wow did you even watch the show ?? "and his ex-girlfriend (a reporter like Lois Lane, no less) " She's a lawyer not a reporter. They only say it every two seconds during the show.

October 11, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  28. 9th Grade Joe

This looks GOOOOOOOOOOD !

October 11, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |