Darren Criss on 'Glee's' breakup
October 5th, 2012

Darren Criss on 'Glee's' breakup

Darren Criss should really stop making his fans cry.

On the eve of Thursday's emotional “breakup” episode of "Glee," Criss — who plays the dreamy-eyed and dreamy-voiced Blaine, one half of one half of the show’s two power couples — penned an open letter to his fans on Facebook.

The 25-year-old covered a lot of ground in the note, outlining some of the early successes that laid the foundation for his breakout two years ago. Criss recounted the highlights, from starting work on “A Very Potter Musical” — the YouTube sensation that gave him his first boost of stardom — to first hearing about "Glee."

"I have a pretty wild imagination, but I never thought any of that could actually happen, let alone in such a relative short period of time," Criss wrote. "Here’s the deal - I work hard, I try to make the right decisions and do the best I can with everything I do and all that good stuff - but really, that can only go so far. There are so many contributing factors to what has happened for me that go far beyond my control ... And that’s where you come in.”

Acknowledging  in advance that Thursday's episode was going to be tough for many, Criss wanted his fans to look on the bright side: With their support, he's gone much further than he thought he would.

"[M]uch of your support has allowed me to be on this show long enough to reach a breakup in the first place; it has created a relationship that people cared enough about whereby it was even worth writing an episode about its potential end," the actor wrote. "I never thought I would get to be around long enough for something like that. And I really have you, the fans to thank for it. It’s something to be proud of."

The episode featured Criss performing an acoustic version of "Teenage Dream," "which so many of you have supported since I sang it as my first song on my very first episode. I started playing this version at shows as a sort of 'thank you' to the fans, for making it such a big song for both myself and the show. It was the song that started everything":

As for what the future holds, executive producer Brad Falchuk told TVLine that "nothing is set in stone. For now things are different. But there's an enormous amount of love there, so there's a great chance of a lot of them getting back together."

What about you? Was last night’s “Glee” (and its break-up) the saddest thing ever — or does Criss’ note top the list?

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Glee • television

1. ericrene93

Hey great job on your blog! I also blog about Glee and if you would like MORE glee season 4 coverage check out my blog. You'll find videos, music, coverage, and even opinions and interactions with followers. Check it out if you're interested(:

November 12, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  2. David

This show has it's problems but it certainly has it's good moments as well and i like Darren Criss a lot, a very talented young man IMHO

October 14, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  3. tombos

I wish all the nasty negative comments from the idiots above would stop reading the stories if they don't like the show. No need to talk about how awful it is...we get it...you don't like it. Great...now stop watching the show and reading articles about the show and it's characters...that way..you won't feel so complelled to empty you bowels through your mouth and keypad.

October 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. martiniano

And who cares? There are two shows worth watching: Breaking Bad and SOA. Glee?? Are you joking? F Glee.

October 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. shaney

i want to know more about this. could someone explan to me!!!!!!???????

October 10, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. A GLEEK

If your not a fan why do you watch? Some of you who compliain about the show obviously tune in every week. I don't like soap operas, so therefore I dont watch them. Its as easy as that. I am not on here bashing soaps. I could care less. On a side not "nashville starts tommorrow.

October 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

Wow – he's an actor...protraying a character...on at fictional TV show. Characters are written out of shows on a constant basis. Everybody breathe and it will be OK...

October 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. eyes rolling

Well no..It is NOT the saddest thing ever. This is a TV show. get a grip

October 9, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. AdamtheDude

Never bought the relationship in the first place. Criss' character would never be in a relationship with someone as queeny as Kurt. I've been around the gay scene for quite a few years, so I know what I'm talking about.

October 9, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Jonah

You got that right - Blaine is way out of Kurt's league. I never bought them as a couple in the first place.

October 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rastas

Frackin Foggits!

October 9, 2012 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. Gabby

Blaine's performance if teenage dream was heartbreaking, he is true to his character and makes it as real as real can be. The emotion blaine showed just shows how much kurt means to him and just how heartbroken and lost without him he really was. Darren criss is amazing!

October 8, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kj

I wish Glee was breaking up. What a terrible show.

October 8, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Brian

I'm confused. Is he leaving "Glee" or is this an article about the reaction of real-life fans to a fictional breakup on a fictional television show?

October 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. HookedSinceDayOne

Last night's episode was so reminiscent of Glee when all cyclinders are firing. The episode was amazing. Darren Criss' soft and tender "Teenage Dream" was heartbreaking. Keep it up Glee and I will continue to watch!!!

October 8, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RZ70

If only Cop Rock had had more alternate lifestyles. At least we'd get some violence of it.

October 8, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tomdog

I cried and cried until my tears came down and I could taste them

I love to taste my tears.

October 8, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Brad

This episode was stellar, perhaps the best one to date. The performances, vocally and dramatically, were all award worthy!!!

October 8, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  17. angela

I love watching Glee and loved that episode. I cried the whole time.

October 8, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  18. jenihottarek

I was most glad to hear the cover version of "Don't Stop Believin' ", which undoubtedly enabled a new generation to learn to appreciate the legendary musicianship of a rock band bythe name of Journey –
    I was two years old when the original version was released, and heard it on the radio for the first time shortly after "Faithfully" (that is to say, at the age of four).

October 8, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  19. Ann

Glee needs to stop...the show sucks, and the fact that they take wonderful classics and screw them up completely with there retarded autotune just makes the show even more sad than it already is.

October 8, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  20. Lt. BigButt

show sucks...but i do like a good piece of acting myself

October 8, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  21. Joe

I'm all for diversity... but Glee is getting way too much gay drama. As for Criss' rendition of 'Teenage Dream' – not good. Too slow for a song that was (is) a dance song. If he wanted to sing a ballad, then pick a ballad, and not try to re-invent the wheel with an existing song. To me, Rachel's break-up with Finn on stage, was more moving and emotional than anything Criss has done. It's also probably the best piece of acting, that Lea Michele has done on Glee.

October 8, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • David

Totally agree with you Joe. The Rachel/Finn story was much more moving than the others for sure.

October 8, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • MashaSobaka

I find it hilarious that once a show has one gay couple in the spotlight it's accused of being "too gay." If that's true, then almost every other show on air is "too straight." Your prejudice is showing. But I doubt that you care.

October 9, 2012 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  22. i was

oh sorry...can't say on computer tv...

October 8, 2012 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  23. Mammy says

Took a big dump on my neighbor's front yard today.

October 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  24. bill

Never seen an episode of it. Judging by the comments here by children don't think I ever will

October 7, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. mary poppins

missed this episode also–the edge of night took over...

October 7, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  26. John from Texas

this show lost its appeal after the 3rd season then it was just another 'Kids Now Vol." compilation cd type on tv. it missed its opportunity to go out on top. the fictional cast were seniors for like 3 years.. yawn....

October 7, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  27. GameFunToday

you never know what can happen...life is full of lust.

October 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  28. crappy show

its the gay version of fame.

October 7, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Sarah

I really loved Darren Criss’ note to his fans and I thought he was brilliant in the episode. His performance of “Teenage Dream,” left me in tears, it was amazing how well he translated the pain his character was experiencing. A co-worker at DISH is convinced that Blaine and Kurt will eventually reunite; but for now the time apart is for the best. I was very hesitant to watch this episode of Glee, knowing that it would be heartbreaking. With my busy schedule, I had already set my Hopper to record the entire season putting the 2,000 hours of recording space to use. I finally gained the courage and with tissues in hand, sat down to experience the episode this weekend. I thought it was one of the best episodes to date; it managed to portray the heartache in a way that was very real and believable. I am interested to see what the time apart does for Kurt and Blaine; I think that it will let them grow so that they can eventually find their way back together.

October 7, 2012 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  30. Mfr

Pathetic

October 7, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  31. Great Show

the show is the laughing stock of the locals...she totally betrays him at every given moment

October 7, 2012 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  32. the lezzo...

she be washed up...

October 7, 2012 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  33. Washed Out Goods

everyone says the cast has been washed up for years–

October 7, 2012 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  34. Addicts?

October 7, 2012 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
  35. fruity pants

This show is wonderful. Now pass me the plate of fudge.

October 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  36. BirthdayWeekend

I'd rather have toothpicks pushed into my eyes then watch glee.

October 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suuuure, buddy

And yet here you are, reading about the show and even taking the time to leave comments. Come on out of the closet, kiddo...

October 6, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

Give me your address and I'll overnight the toothpicks...................................

October 8, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  37. so don't watch...

26 ppl tonight -we moved reservation back...9pm is too late...i gotta run at 515am again....

October 6, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Michelle O

watched it once, i will never watch it again. Glee is horrible and shows exactly what is wrong with this country.

October 6, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Please, Michelle

Again, you hate it, yet HERE you are. This is how you spend your free time? Trolling the internet and leaving comments about what you hate. Zero life you got there, girlie.

October 6, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • @please

Just so you know, blue troll = vixen. The girl of many names.

October 7, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  39. great show

i never miss it(yawn)

October 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  40. oi vey

skyp mish...great...gotta get home early me tired!!!! running tomorrow again..i have 4 luncheons.
    lol...

October 6, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  41. friends and family...

26-lol–skying mish

October 6, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jack Baby Jack Clauss

Obama is the lesser of two lousy choices.

October 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • ottomedic51

What does Pres. Obama have to do with Glee and Darrin, you moron?!! Not every comment page has to have something about the Pres or dumba$$ Romnry. I don't give a crap about ur stupid political views, keep them on ur FB page. What!!?? You're blaming the Pres. for all of the break-ups on the show last week??! You need to get a LIFE!!!

October 7, 2012 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Instig8or

No, the breakup was Bush's fault...

October 9, 2012 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  43. Michael Callaizzo

Obama is weak and terrible yet better than Mitt.

October 6, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  44. what time tonight?

9ish?

October 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Flatchested Butch

your just a fat ass that nobody can stand

October 6, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Puddy says

Hmmmm...looks like someone took a dump in my pool again.

October 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Ron B

Glee can only continue if the break the old characters off from the show....

October 6, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  48. max

WHO

October 6, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  49. jessy

The gay shows out there make me wana vomit

October 6, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Governor Odius

By all means, please do vomit. If you are stupid enough to watch and complain, you deserve that lovely taste in your mouth.

October 6, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • MysticYat

I’m sorry, did your TV not come with a switch or remote control that allows you to change the stations or turn the TV off? Or perhaps you don’t realize that you have one – it’s the small rectangular thing with all of the buttons on it. I use it regularly to turn things off that I find objectionable – especially talking heads (like you) who make obnoxious comments about people who aren’t just like them.

October 6, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Ron B

If they bother you so much why are you watching them??? Maybe you're a closet gay????

October 6, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jessie Hopper

good show

October 6, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  51. Samantha

If you asked what show could single handedly destroy the moral fiber of America, it would be Glee. Glee is the reason the terrorists will win. For every episode of Glee that airs, God kills 1000 puppies.

October 6, 2012 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Samantha

I wuz just joking about my comments above. I luv dem gays and I also luv to get a super sized dil-do meat stik slammed up my keister! I be a super butch dy-ko!!

October 6, 2012 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Ron B

Remember when they used to insist that the Simpsons was going to destroy america???

October 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Bubba

What. the. he ll.

October 5, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

I be a big blak bro with a tiny peter! It suks bein a jig-a-booo with a small wanger!! I try to make up for it with my crazy moves in da bed!!!

October 6, 2012 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  53. shannon

Lame teenage show for teenagers. Not to be taken seriously.

October 5, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • shannon

U know what is lame?? The fact that I be one big ol fugly that really needs to get a big ol dikkk. I been all dried up for years now!! I would take anything at this point. All u old fogeys...fair game...shriveled up....its cool!! Bring it!!

October 6, 2012 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  54. Ling Cho

Many gay peopre on this show. In China we no rike gays so much. They not berry berry good.

October 5, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ling Cho

Yo yo. Dey call me Chang but I am really a Phang...with a super small wang...I like da Tang but I can't explang how hard it is to bang with my tiny wang!!! Ohhh yeah boyyeee! Asian rappers iz da bomb!!!

October 6, 2012 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  55. Darn--

I was at a tiki bar...missed it..

October 5, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Daryl

Last's night show broke my heart.... and I am 39 years old LOL. I love the interplay between all of these couples but when David sang Teenage Dream...I fell speechless... I have to give you credit for the amazing episode but please don't let them end this way. It is a good teaching point for how love ain't easy. My mom and dad who have been together since 1950 always tell me it (love) aint easy but sooooooo worth it! I believe that you can't overlook the 90% for the 10% because people aren't perfect.... idk it was very hard to watch wayyyyy too real for me last night but I couldn't STOP watching
    Thanks
    Daryl
    Buffalo, NY

October 5, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shaina

umm. I think you mean Darren not David...but I agree with you. it was a beautiful episode.

October 5, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daryl

I still live in my parents basement. They try to get rid of me, but I just can't leave!! I won't be findin love anytime soon...not without a job, car and any dough. I just kickin it watchin Glee, the New Normal and other shows filled with flamin fairies. I would just love to find a big hunko' man with a meaty beefy cokk!!!

October 6, 2012 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  57. Ling Cho

We rikes this shoe in china. It berry berry big here. We rike you Americans berry berry much.

October 5, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Sokman

Those thug kids at Disney would whoop his a$s, & sing a song about it at the same time. Disney kids are nothing but trouble

October 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Amanda

yanks–ha

October 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Go Out

yuck glee

October 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Zoya

that should be a thrill...keep your eyes closed and don't look

October 5, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Nathan

I watched the presidential debate last night, but might watch Glee tonight.

October 5, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |