Ron Livingston 'extremely proud' of sister Jennifer
October 4th, 2012

Ron Livingston 'extremely proud' of sister Jennifer

"Office Space" actor Ron Livingston is cheering on his sister, TV news anchor Jennifer Livingston, as she takes on a viewer who emailed her a critique of her weight.

Jennifer, an anchor with WKBT in Wisconsin, went on air Tuesday morning to address the viewer, Kenneth Krause, who told her that "obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping you'll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle."

Krause went on to express surprise that Jennifer's "physical condition hasn't improved for many years. Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, girls in particular."

Jennifer decided to publicly address Krause, pointing out that he doesn't know anything about her other than what he can see on TV - "and I am much more than a number on a scale," she said.

She received an outpouring of support for taking a stand against bullying, not the least of which from her brother, Ron.

"My sister Jennifer is an Emmy winning journalist and mother of three amazing girls," Ron said in a statement, according to Us Weekly. "She brings an exceptional dedication to her job, her family, and her community, and has been a role model of mine for many, many years. I'm extremely proud of her."

Jennifer told CNN's Soledad O'Brien that her decision to speak up wasn't about Krause as much as it was an attempt to shine a light on a critical culture. And as Krause sticks by his emailed message, saying in a statement that he hopes Jennifer will "finally take advantage of a rare and golden opportunity to influence the health and psychological well-being of Coulee Region children by transforming herself for all of her viewers to see over the next year," Jennifer's encouraging her supporters to refrain from attacking him.

"I hold no ill will towards him, and I hope that people don't bully the bully. I don't want to make him an evil representation of the whole world. I just hope that at some point he will learn that he could've approached the topic in a much more kind way."

Filed under: Celebrities

1. soldes la redoute

Will not it's the perfect time which enjoyable to get along with. Make friends who'll power you jimmy your true self together.
    soldes la redoute http://www.laredoutecode.fr/

December 18, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. My Trainer

is 47yrs old, has the body of lou ferrigno and runs 5 miles...i thought why can't i do this again. he runs with me 25 minutes every other day with stretching...on a saturday i have to be at the gym 530am..he said even when i go back to a relationship..your ass still has to be at the gym at 530am..no excuses.

My Trainer is a friend from town, when i become frustrated...he walks right into into my face and says your heavy, the weight has to come off end of story...he's a little stronger with me now then when we started. he just emailed and said he wants the full 10 lbs by next week.

I'm still heavy but we're getting there. the running has made me happy – i'm not comfortable running in public right now so he simply said "when your ready". its very funny his girlfriend will bb at 5am and say the boss said get your ass to the gym now!!!! LOLOL

i feel good and the workout "high" has begun again.

October 5, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. if Jennifer is feeling singled out...

then she must be paranoid of something..that's the way we look at it. that' how our light bulbs go off

October 5, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. we know all the regulation----

we are in the A world for 30 years

October 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hacking into a computer that does not

belong to you is considered harrassment and stalking..

phone lan misuse is abuse and stalking

October 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. cac

I understand the man's point but what I dislike are arogant people who think that they are morally superior to others. A person's outer appearance is not the totality of who they are. In fact, I think that Jennifer is a perfect role model for young girls – she shows them that they don't have to be a size 0 to be successful. If he wants to talke about "draining the health system" how about people with guns?

October 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Theresa

I am wondering if this man(?) sent the same or similiar email to Chris Christi? I think Chris Christie has great integrity and is a good role model dispite his "size". I don't know Jennifer, but to single her out in such a way seems sort of like stalking or harassment.

October 5, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • maria

You don't have to "be a size 0", but you also shouldn't be obese. Obese is a clinical term, it is a cause of multiple medical problems (hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, diabetes all of which will lead to heart disease, strokes and other disabilities). Everyone complains about poor healthcare situation in the US, but it should start with the individual being responsible for their health.
      Everyone should strive to live a healthy lifestyle to avoid obesity. if someone takes offense to being called obese, that's their issue. Ghandi once said "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission." Jennifer Livingston said this guy is not part of her family, not her friend or anyone she knows. Why would she even care what he thinks or says? To me, it sounds like she's insecure about her looks. I think she lashed out on this guy because he's a good looking guy and the whole situation brought back bad memories of being ignored by the cute guys in school. If it was a beer-bellied, troll-looking guy, would she have made such a hissy fit? Probably not.
      Also, that email was not bullying in my opinion. Krause was stating a fact (she is fat and she admits to it) and he was encouraging her to get healthy, he didn't tell her to get off her lazy ass or wire her jaw shut. He didn't use a derogatory term like "fat bit*h or porker. The things I just wrote I would consider bullying, not his email. It was a private email, it's not like he publicly humiliated her. She didn't have to respond to him and email him back, but she did. But she publicly called him out, bringing the negative attention to herself. I don't see her as brave fighting back against a bully. I see her as a vindictive, insecure person.

October 6, 2012 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

"I think Chris Christie has great integrity and is a good role model dispite his "size""

Chris Christie is an arrogant putz. He is a loudmouth buffoon who reinforces the negative stereotype of people from NJ. Add that to the fact that he is an obese whale, and you get just about the worst role model for anyone living in the state.

October 8, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. I don't lead a dysfunctional life like most...

i want to get fit, although now men do not hate my body..LOL...but i myself want to look good for him. I know i will not be thin..but i want him to like the way i look...

October 5, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  8. I don't have problems...

i just love to eat...that's why i had to hire a trainer to help me lose with....i want too look great for my next serious boyfriend-i want him to like my body and i want to be healthy. its very simple

October 5, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • I don't have problems

that's why i had to hire a trainer to help me lose the weight.

October 5, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • I have problems....

Put down the fork. Lay off the cheeseburgers. Stop hittin dem chinese buffet joints!!

October 5, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • My Trainer

I'm still heavy but we're getting there. the running has made me happy - i'm not comfortable running in public right now so he simply said "when your ready". its very funny his girlfriend will bb at 5am and say the boss said get your ass to the gym now!!!! LOLOL

i feel good and the workout "high" has begun again.

October 5, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Pee Wee Morris

I don't think she comes across as a victim. I think she found his comments rude and is calling him on them. I am sure she would like to lose weight as most overweight people do, however, what should she do in the meantime, stay in the house so she doesn't offend anyone? I'm sure the letter writer has his faults, they just aren't visible to the rest of us. Isn't it nice that most people can hide their issues and problems from the world?

He might be a jerk that beats his wife, I have no way of knowing that of course, but hey, at least he's not fat.

October 5, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. Peebles

I have a sister that has battled her weight for years. What bothers me most about people that bash overweight folks is how they hide behind the "you need to be healthy" comments. Unfortunately, if it were easy to lose weight, there would not be a problem with obesity. Many people have bad habits and do things that are not healthy like drink, smoke, lie, cheat on their spouse, etc. etc. The list is long. However, their weakness is not visible to the world. Overweight people are easy to bash because their problems are visible for all to see.

All human beings deserve respect, not just the skinny ones.

October 5, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Amanda Powers

wow...i had a great night last night!!!

October 5, 2012 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. another fun

night home i see.

October 5, 2012 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  13. Warren Lee

Ron,

Hooray for you sister for taking a stand and expressing herself like that. She was very courageous to do that. She came across eloquently. I wish I could have been so well spoken, if that letter was directed toward me. It's sad that people judge others by a standard..... a standard that they themselves may not compare well against.

October 5, 2012 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Warren Pee

Well stated young chap. Even though your sis is a chunky pig, we should still treat her with respect!! Let's pound dat plump rump!!

October 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • She's a big fat whale that nobody wants to bang.

When she keels over at 50 years old from a heart attack, we can all compliment her on her niceness.

October 8, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jude folly

the letter writer gave away the goods about his own insecurities with his 'caring' reprimand. i'll wager he's never written to any pencil-thin weather reporters to admonish them about bulemia.

October 5, 2012 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sokman

You scold your father? If I were you're father, you'd try that shlt once & only once. If he wants to see skinny people rent a copy of Schindler's List? Wow, thats fooked up even by my standards. Wow

October 4, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ANglie

1) the only reason her big butt is on air is because of who her brother is...
    2) everything the guy said is true, obesity is NOT healthy and she needs to be a better example if she's going to be on air. The mere fact is, fat people are not accepted in society and since you have to live in society why would you want to single yourself out like that? I make sure to never say anythign to my young daughter about her weight, but there is no junk food in the house either, and she and I walk regularly. Oh by the way I was once 100lbs overweight. I have lost half my weight and only need to lose 50 more and I am working hard to do it. I do not want to be the fat mom at my daughters school. You can't wear cute clothes, hot guys don't want to date you, so why would anyone want to stay fat?

October 4, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • anglie

forgot to mention my daughter is thin as she should be.

October 4, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark

You are pathetic.

October 5, 2012 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
    • mukazzi

Step away from the scale and try see beyond the triple-coating of clumpy mascara and green eye shadow. Your comments tend to smack of someone who is a single parent trying to find "cute" (which really means inappropriate for your age, generation, lifestyle) clothes and "hot boys" (the fact you didn't say "men" is even more telling to your mindset. This isn't about your daughter; it's not even about Jennifer Livingston. It's about YOU. YOU are the guide, the FIRST TEACHER, the representation to your child. I do commend you for tackling the weight loss because it isn't easy. Here's the deal -if you are a bonafide journalist (not a "microphone-in-the-hand-can't-string-three-words-grammatically-correct-wannabe"); if you can effective WRITE your own stories, PRODUCE them, and REPORT them, then you have my attention. And...by the way...what is your take on male television journalists never AGE OUT of their jobs, but female television journalists seem to have SHELF LIVES?

October 5, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dan here...

guys bugmetoo will be ready in 15 minutes..its doing a "hookup" on the "hopper"

October 4, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. robert

The percentage of Americans who are overweight is astounding but you have to be perfect in order to point something like that out in public and I'm sure Mr. Krause isn't perfect, nor was he treating her with his words as he would like to be treated. I personally am 30 lbs overweight and I feel great, I exercise, vegetarian, and just as she does, and I look great like she does. Can we not connect based on her brains instead of her looks? If you're distracted by her being over weight then don't watch her. She is naturally tall and big-boned perhaps but there are some truly obese people (men included) in public life who would better have deserved these comments than her.

October 4, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sokman

She's gotta be more like 3 numbers on a scale

October 4, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  20. blade

Some people mistake self-confidence with self-absorption and/or self-righteousness. Mr. Krause is definitely self-righteous. He'd never say something like that to anyones face which makes him a coward.

October 4, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • deutsche001

Calling somebody fat or obese is not bullying when you are in fact obese. I understand that everybody can not have a beautiful body, but we allowed smokers to be ostracized because of the health effects of smoking. It should surprise nobody that obese people are next.

October 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • sma89

deutsche001: what a moronic thing to say. Just because the person is obese or overweight does not mean you have the right to be a d*** to the person for no reason. Maybe that person realizes it and is in the process of trying to change themselves. You sound like my dad when I scold him when he says the same things as you: "What?? It's true!" Wise up.

October 4, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Another Jenny

If I was an award winning journalist no dumb jock could ever get me upset,Jennifer you're beautiful,gifted,smart and even funny.That jerk just wanted some of the attention that you're getting,see he's not going away.

October 4, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • EnoughPC

Correct me if I'm wrong but, wasn't that a private email sent to Ms. Livingston? How is that seeking attention? This public personality chose to publicize this, and while using the public airwaves, admitted to being obese in her editorial. This isn't some child being bullied for being fat, gay, different, or some 65-year old bus driver being harrassed by her riders, this was constructive criticism. He didn't call her names, he didn't call for her to be fired, he said she should improve her lifestyle to set a better example as a public figure.

If we start down this path of constant political correctness it will never end. It gets tiring. If we want to attack bullying, where is the outrage over how the papparazzi hound celebrities and publish photos critiquing their every imperfection? Oh I know, you're all reading the tabloids in the grocery line, or watching TMZ et al.

Don't get me wrong, there are some bullying and double standards between how men and women are treated based on their looks, but this case did not warrant all the commotion. I'm reasonably sure viewers in her local market have been less tactful and more worthy of being championed as an example of bullying than this.

October 5, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Peebles

Do you honestly think she doesn't know she is overweight? When he goes to extremes to point out the obvious he's just being mean and hiding behind the comments about "her health". No one is more aware of her weight than she is. But what he is saying is that she really shouldn't be on TV because her weight (although it has nothing to do with her job performance other than to annoy those that hate to look at fat people) is all that matters. He has discounted a human being for one thing – her appearance. Now it's the fat people. In 50 years it will be those that aren't perfect or beautiful.

October 5, 2012 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  22. turd templeton

She is Definitely way more than just a number on a scale ;)

October 4, 2012 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  23. NotStickThin

I think the man loves his body more than anyone else. If the j-hole wants to look at skinny people perhaps he can rent a copy of Schindler's List. If he wants his women to look like 13-yr-old boys that is his problem. Sir, when you win your Emmy for doing something useful, then you may clue the world in on your little opinions.

October 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  24. donklos

There are a ton of people who don't believe the letter writer was being a bully. In fact, they believe Jennifer took a strong and private letter of constructive criticism for this public figure and reacted like a victim of some crime. Sure he could have been kinder, but everyone I know DO NOT see it as bullying. Jennifer is one of millions who are living a life where obesity is an accepted part of that life, and it is contributing to the national acceptance of obesity. She could really turn this incident into something valuable for the nation now that this has gone stratospheric.

October 4, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terry E.R.

You're right,weight loss is attainable,when I was in elementary school my mom was pregnant most of the time,so I thought she was just naturally fat. After the last baby(number eight)she started going to a gym and running after we all were dropped off I learned,well needless to say after a few months mom was beginning to look fit and prettier and happier.Come on Jenny you're on tv,you should set an example for young girls.My mother did and none of us are fat,do it for your kids even if you don't care about your appearance.

October 4, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Judge Learned Hand

Livingston is obese and she should be ashamed and not lauded for having no self-control when it comes to food. Are all lardbutts now victims? No, they should be ridiculed and shamed [as should you if you're a fatty].

October 4, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • To Judge Jerk

You are a disgusting human being and by all means, please, post a photo of your perfect body and your even more perfect lifestyle choices.

October 4, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • REALLY?

Nice try Troll. Now go see if Mommy has your dinner ready.

October 4, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • deutsche001

Overweight and obesity are both labels for ranges of weight that are greater than what is generally considered healthy for a given height.
      The terms also identify ranges of weight that have been shown to increase the likelihood of certain diseases and other health problems. This affects the American Tax payers; so please set an example.

October 4, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • five finger death punch

Lol

October 4, 2012 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • I always thought his body

was cute

October 5, 2012 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  26. CATHERINE

I would love to see this guy after having birthed three kids. I am sure he would not be a size 6.

October 4, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Donna Suma

the 2 comments to the peppa and fonz were true..the rest all fantasy

October 4, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  28. did flat chested dan...get it?

i can't stop laughing...

October 4, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  29. wait let met me tell cnn

i'm having s-x with a man...what a derp

October 4, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. greyfonz

i know i'm not your fonzie type of person...by maybe someday we could at least get over the hump
    and just speak

October 4, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  31. saltnpeppa

to bad u can't pass by for a hb drink...maybe sometime.

October 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  32. JudgeDB

Jennifer should agree to transform herself in order to be a better role model on the condition that this d-bag agrees to be a better role model by going on tv every day and explain how he acts like a nosy tool because he has issues with his own body and life that make him feel helpless so he lashes out at other people who's problems he perceives to be easy to fix.

October 4, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jane

I agree that she had the right to respond as she did-Its seems its ok for a gay or lesbian person to respond to someone when they are given "critique" however if a full size person gives a response-its considered being a bully? really? seems a little double standard is working here.

October 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  34. anyone want to hang out a bit tonight?

LOL

October 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  35. James Marjorie

lol from me too

October 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Lundberg

yeaaaah, but about those TPS reports...

October 4, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |