Lena Dunham: 'Girls' will be more diverse in season 2
October 3rd, 2012

Lena Dunham: 'Girls' will be more diverse in season 2

The backlash to Lena Dunham's "Girls" was swift and sustained as some rejected Dunham's racially monotone version of New York, but it looks like the critics have been heard.

The HBO series, which earned an Emmy nod with its freshman season for outstanding comedy as well as a nomination for producer/writer/director/star Dunham in the outstanding comedic actress category, will be more diverse with season 2.

Fans can expect to see "a multitude of new characters in the show. There are some of color. Some are not. Some are Caucasian," Dunham said Tuesday at Fortune magazine's Most Powerful Women summit, according to Reuters.

Acknowledging that she was responding to "Girls" viewers "who are women of color who want to see themselves reflected on screen," Dunham added that she was heartbroken "at the idea that the show would make anyone feel isolated."

With "Girls," she said, "All I want to do is make women feel excited and included."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. cheapuggsoutletstyle.blogspot.com

Let's go for a walk£¬shall we? If he had not broken his tooth, he would not be in hospital now.Which would you prefer? Did you hear about the new project?Don't let chances pass by.We should save unnecessary expenses.He owned himself defeated.There are a lot of people in the swimming pool.A red tie will match that suit.You will soon get used to the work.
    cheapuggsoutletstyle.blogspot.com http://cheapuggsoutletstyle.blogspot.com

October 23, 2012 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  2. El Dudo

No one is complaining to Tyler Perry

October 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Happy Birthday

see u tomorrow!!!!

October 4, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. Flat Chested Dan

your really referring to the whites and using the black name...

October 4, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  5. greybutton?

u there?

October 4, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  6. Flat Chested Dan

she could care less about bloggers? 30 for saturday night? thanks

October 4, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. Casey McMahon

If they want to see more women of color go watch Basketball Wives or Real Housewives of Atlanta. This show is not aimed towards minorities. It is about a Fat girl trying to make it in NY and the relationships she tried to maintain.

October 4, 2012 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  8. nite

button-

October 3, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Amanda Powers

Thank you Sokman and my "friends" thank you too.

October 3, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sokman

White b00bs, black b00bs, brown b00bs, yellow b00bs, green b00bs, purple with blue polka dot b00bs, dont care, I love em all. Hotness knows no color when it comes to ogling sweater melons

October 3, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • penicillin

You are a old man arent you? Feel bad for you dude, its been years since you been layed. You will always be the master bater.

October 4, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. I agree

with all the comments below mine. We need more diversity in media. It should reflect society better. Just the other day I saw a black person getting groceries. First one I've seen in a while. I like them. They make good entertainers.

October 3, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Shogirl

So glad to hear that someone is paying attention. I heard all these accollades for the show but couldn't bring myself to watch. I felt I was already slapped in the face with several shows featuring & focusing on young caucasian girls such as Pretty Little Liars, Bunheads & Gossip Girls that when a show simply called GIRLS had nothing but white chicks I felt totally excluded. Its been happening for years and it gets tiresome. Yes there are a few shows that feature females of color however there's a lot of dismissiveness happening. I've watched & supported many many shows simply because they were good despite not seeing any people of color but after 20 plus years of television watching somethings got to give so thank you Lena Dunham and I definitely wish you more success. I know you worked hard for it & look forward to the new season.

October 3, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Billy Ray

Colored folks are extra funny. I'm with you. We need more of em on television.

October 3, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laquanda

You remember that Red Foxx? He was Fred Sanford. We need more good funny coloreds like him on the tv.

October 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Honeydip74

Seriously, WATCH THE SHOW BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE IT! What difference does it make if it's got black people in it? The shows that had black people in it was sucking! And I refuse to watch any BS on TV1 or BET...and yes I am black! I love this show b/c it's smart and funny as hell. And to be honest it doesn't matter if NY has a million black people in it, if you and your friends are only hanging with white people then that's what your show is going to reflect...your circle! And that's what the show did. When they throw in a few of us in the mix half the time it looks like tokens. So hopefully they color she puts in will be relevant and more importantly GOOD ACTORS!

October 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |