Taylor Swift calls John Mayer ‘presumptuous’ for ‘Dear John’ comments
October 2nd, 2012

Taylor Swift calls John Mayer ‘presumptuous’ for ‘Dear John’ comments

Now would be the time to break out into a rendition of Carly Simon’s “You’re So Vain.”

During a recent interview with Glamour, Taylor Swift told the magazine that John Mayer was “presumptuous” to think her tune “Dear John” was written about him.

“I never disclose who my songs are about,” she said.

In June, Mayer told Rolling Stone he was “humiliated” by the song, adding, “I'm pretty good at taking accountability now, and I never did anything to deserve that. It was a really lousy thing for [Swift] to do.”

Though track likely isn’t on Mayer’s playlist, the country-pop star said “that song really hit home with a lot of girls who had been through toxic relationships and had found their way to the other side of it. I've never looked out while singing a song during a concert to see so many girls crying.

When asked about her current relationship with Conor Kennedy, Swift simply said, “I don’t talk about my personal life in great detail. I write about it in my songs, and I feel like you can share enough about your life in your music to let people know what you're going through.”

Guess we’ll just have to wait for a tune.

Post by:
Filed under: John Mayer • Music • Taylor Swift

1. Katelynn Ann

If you don't like Taylor Swift, that's your opinion! But, seriously?!?! NO ONE CARES HOW SELF-CENTERED JOHN MAYER IS!!!!!! Last I checked there are about......oh, I don't know.....50 MILLION PEOPLE NAMED "JOHN"!!!!!!! Obviously, he doesn't get that a "Dear John" letter ISN'T NECESSARILY ABOUT SOMEONE NAMED JOHN!!!!!!!!!! How narcissistic can you get?!?!?!?! IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!!!!!!!! Oh, but he must've assumed that it was about him because the first line of the song said, "Long were the nights when my days once revolved around you." I feel sorry for Taylor that she would be so insulted by him saying that!!!!

October 22, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. woodie

I think she is too young to date. And she can't handle rejection well at all.

October 22, 2012 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. Stella

Well Tayler is a great singer but she should date who she wants and be who she wants.

October 12, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jason

All the guys Taylor has wrote songs about should get together and record a song called "Maybe the Problem is You".

October 9, 2012 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Bingo!

October 10, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom Scott

I HAVE PRETTY HAIR by Taylor Swift

I'm Taylor Swift
      I sing some songs
      And I have pretty hair
      All my songs sound the same
      but you buy them anyway
      So I've got lots of money
      And I have pretty hair
      I go where I want
      I date who I please
      And I have pretty hair
      If I date a boy
      He'd better be glad
      because when I'm jilted
      I'll trash him in a song
      And I have pretty hair
      And I have pretty hair

October 10, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. exactly

you have to find someone who you can live with and if you can't live with the person maybe you
    should question the relationship.

i could never stay with anyone who did not want me. ugh

October 5, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Shay

Maybe she should stop dating for a while. Either she has really bad choice in men, or this long list of ex-boyfriends hints at a personality flaw on her part. She sure does complain and whine a lot. I'm sure it gets old quick for whomever she's dating.

October 5, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • RZ70

Wha????? A commercially successful singer with a personality flaw? Here's a hint, everybody is crazy in their own way... The trick is finding a brand of crazy you can live with.

October 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katie

I am a HUGE Taylor fan, but I have to agree with you. I was just saying something similar the other day.

October 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. i wish john

new what a great guy he is.

October 5, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. I feel sorry for

John Mayer

October 5, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. Happy Birthday Bondette!!!!!

see you tonight!!!!

October 4, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. she has self esteem...

she just moves on....good for her

October 4, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. None of us Know Taylor

and nobody cares about her personal life– i cant stand people who live their lives through blogging

October 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Taylor GO AWAY

Let's see... She dates a NOTORIOUS womanizer and then is surprised that she isn't somehow more special than all the other women he's gone through in the last ten years?

Take away her hair bleach and fake eyelashes and this girl looks like every stripped I've ever seen. Talentless sow.

October 4, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agrav8td

She's pretty rich & famous for being a 'talentless sow'.

October 8, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • shut up

id like to see you do what she does. shes a singer, songwriter, and role model. good luck with topping that.

October 15, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. NoNonsense

So tired of this talentless singer. Please do us a favor and write about something besides how poorly you are treated by men. Or maybe write a song about WHY that happens. Because you let it happen over and over again. Drop the victim act. Actually just go away.

October 4, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • grr...

as ive said, why dont YOU go up on stage and sing, or write those songs.

October 15, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • nsr37

...She actually has written several songs that are not about relationships. Do your research.

June 29, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hotmail 2,000 rigged emails --- i didn't do it---could not tell you how either---he's better off with a more innocent type at times.....you know what i mean dear abby?

June 29, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. I love

Taylor Swift..she's not a f-cking beetch–she's a doll

October 4, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  15. buon compliano...

i love you... bacci a tutti..bernardo

October 4, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  16. Valentine2290

Good God, I cannot stand Taylor Swift! Is it me, or does this little tramp need to grow up and get a life??? Why didn't she come out and say the song wasn't about Mayer before his name was trashed in the press?? He's no angel, but NO ONE deserves to be dragged through the mud as much as she drags all her ex boyfriends names through the mud in the press.. She's an adult now.. She needs to give up the " little girl" act!

October 4, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
    • ...

you need to grow up. taylor is a role model and an amazing person. you should try to do what she does

October 15, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • 34552

lol dragged through the mud? She never expressly states their names. A "Dear John" letter is actually a thing.

June 29, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • She does not have too express the names....everyone knows who it is -- HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

June 29, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jumpy

success!

October 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kanye

I'mma NOT let you finish, girl, stop writing the same 3 songs over and over about how you can't keep a man.

October 3, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  19. ugh please

This chick needs to gtfo. Tired of her. If the Kanye thing happened again today, I would cheer him.

October 3, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  20. ladies...

date talk–sweats meet at the bar...

October 3, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Rocket J. Squirrel

People quit buying her stuff , her songs have no substance. She sings about the same old stuff all the time, her failed relationships. She isnt even that good of a musician. You would think she would have grown by now and start singing about real world type stuff, like the hunger and the violence that goes on. Open your eyes Taylor there is a lot more going on in the world than your stupid love songs.

October 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • nsr37

Have you ever actually listened to any of her songs, bro? (that aren't on the radio, that is) She sang a song dedicated to a cancer patient (all proceeds to a cancer foundation) one about a girl who didn't fit in, one about forgiveness, one about childhood and appreciating it, and many more that have absolutely nothing to do with relationships.

June 29, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Pliny

She doesn't even know the meaning of the word.

Why do we have to hear about what this child thinks?

October 3, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  23. dos

john mayer is going to get a whooping soon.

October 3, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Oogachucka

Hey Taylor Swift – don't go away and write songs about your life, just go away...

October 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Meh

James Taylor would still whoop her pale @ss

October 3, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  26. there are people

when a series doesn't have it...they will never have it ...no matter how much they shout...its just still not there...we have shows that just have it...people run to watch all the time

this is why the actor and this production know exactly what to do and the ratings will run its course and will be high because they know what they are doing and they know how to draw the audience. end of story.

October 3, 2012 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  27. she's not a ho

she cannot act and does not attract people.

October 3, 2012 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  28. mike...

she's a ho - and thanks for site - fun people.

October 3, 2012 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  29. John Mayer

make great music...however his problem will always be his personality..he's basically rude and people move on.
    they won't want to hear him or taylor that matter. taylor is so over.

October 3, 2012 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  30. jane

I used to like JM, until an ex boyfriend played his and only his songs on the radio/guitar all day every day. Ruined it for me.

October 3, 2012 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |
  31. G.P.

She's such an unoriginal tramp,but she is smart.

October 3, 2012 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  32. Matt

If only Mr. Mayer was even as fractionally talented as he seems to think he is.

October 2, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cocheesec

Matt, You've spent time with Mr. Mayer to know how into himself he really is. Thank you for your hard work. Now, go relax and catch up on your back issues of Dynomite Magazine.

October 3, 2012 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
    • John W.

My girlfriend took me to one of his concerts that I didn't want to go to. It was great. I guarantee not a single one of you envious Mayer haters have ever been to one of his concerts. But I do wonder how so many people can so hate someone whom they don not not, much less have ever even met. Says more about you than it does about him.

October 3, 2012 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • derp

Took my daughter to see Mayer. I'm not huge fan, but he a seriously talented guitarist. He played some blues stuff that I would never have expected. Swift can't play a lick on the guitar, her voice is completely one dimensional, and her songs are silly pop drivel.

October 3, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  33. Ted

When John Mayer said, "I think the world would be better off if I stopped doing interviews", I thought, damn, that quote ought to be on his tombstone. (Honestly, I was surprised he could even talk, 'cause his foot is usually in his mouth)

October 2, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Gee

john mayer writes great songs but he has one problem he yaps too much–

October 2, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Stevereeno

John Mayer and She, that's going back nearly four years ago now. She's still yacking about that?

All he said was; He did nothing to deserve that. It was kind of a rotten thing to do.

So after leading the worlds media around on the speculation, now she's disavowing her subject as presumptuous to think that Dear John was about HIMSELF? Shame on you JOHN for thinking that! Hahaha!

October 2, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brian Hartman

I don't think she actually ever did say it was about him, did she?

Don't get me wrong: I do think it's about him, since a) it seems to fit the timeline that's been bantied about, and b) she didn't deny it's him. But I think the there are two takeaway lessons for Mr. Mayer here:

1) Treat your girlfriends better.
      2) Have enough sense to know that if you have a relationship with a songwriter, eventually that songwriter is going to write a song about it. (I'm not sure why he needs to be told this, since he writes songs himself.)

October 3, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  36. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

she's the best...that's why she passes every single time.

October 2, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  37. TeAnaa

She's such a wh*re,but you people and Hollywood give her a free pass.

October 2, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • 34552

....and what gives YOU the right to call people things like that, when you don't know them? Please grow up.

June 29, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • i'm over the suk dik thing...beer can do that.

June 29, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  38. John Mayer...

i hope he gets takes some time with taylor. he truly needs a friend.

October 2, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  39. One more thing...

make sure everyone you know at home has all their personal information changed..phones, computers
    everything. –

October 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  40. john mayer

good guy–taylor is a loser.

October 2, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  41. let us pray

October 2, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • jim

Taylor Swift probably had se x with Je sus and then wrote a song about it.

October 2, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Clete

I was going to share a stage with Justin Bieber, but I am afraid he is going to drink some bad milk before the show, there's not much of song possiblities in him doing that.

October 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  43. I love you kiddo!

hve fun with b.f.==lol==on yre own lng time..u dsrve it.

October 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. that's it.

charge is back that way...let it go..we love you and we will always protect you mama...it hurts but that's the way
    losers operate..have fn wth bf-

October 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  45. let us pray

Sunday Prayers edited by Fr Victor Hoagland, C.P.If at all times you remain hidden in Jesus Christ, you will see the truth of the words of Isaiah, which will be fulfilled in you: "With joy you will draw water from the wells of the Saviour", and also the words of the Gospel, which says: "Whoever drinks the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again." St. Paul of the CrossMorningO God, you are my God,for you I long;for you my soul is thristing.I long for youlike dry, weary land without water.Give me your strength and your glory.I wish to praise you all my lifefill my soul as with a banquet.I cling to you;hold me close in your hands.Psalm 63Glory to the Father. . .ReadingJesus said,"Whoever drinks the water I give will never be thirsty;no, the water I give shall become a fountain within him,leaping up to provide eternal life."The woman said to him, "Give me this water, sir,so that I shall not grow thirsty...."Jn 4:14-15IntercessionsBlessed are you, Lord Jesus, Savior of the world,for giving your life to save us,–by your precious blood we are saved.You promised living waters to those who seek the truth,–give us that water to quench our thirst.You sent disciples to announce the Good News to all people,–sustain those who proclaim your word.To those who carry your cross today in anguish,–grant patience and courage.Return to top of page. EveningThe Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.In verdant pastures he gives me repose.Beside restful waters he leads me;he refreshes my soul.He guides me in right paths for his name's sake.Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil;for you are at my side with your rod and your staffthat give me courage.You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes;You anoint my head with oil;my cup overflows.Only goodness and kindess follow me all the days of my life;And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for years to come.Psalm 23

October 2, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Chip Douglas

Taylor should date Chris Brown. That should result in whole bunch of depressing yet interesting songs.

October 2, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  47. you got it again

so that's it move forward–

October 2, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  48. manny

taylor is a loser - everyone has left the site because of her...

October 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  49. great singers...

bad actors

October 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  50. i want this done before christmas...

so i can watch them in concert

October 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  51. you have to pin it down...

thanks...

October 2, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Taylor

its looking more taylor from what we understand....

October 2, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  53. we're sure its them...

can we get this done..because i'm just 2 bzy

October 2, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Lewis

All her stuff is about High School love. She didn't go to college so the only material she has is from who she is dating at the moment. I guess a Kennedy song is in the future.

October 2, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  55. GET IT--

GO FOR IT...

October 2, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  56. LOSER

The Lord’s my Shepherd, I’ll not want.
    He makes me down to lie
    In pastures green; He leadeth me
    The quiet waters by.

My soul He doth restore again;
    And me to walk doth make
    Within the paths of righteousness,
    Even for His own Name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk in death’s dark vale,
    Yet will I fear no ill;
    For Thou art with me; and Thy rod
    And staff my comfort still.

My table Thou hast furnishèd
    In presence of my foes;
    My head Thou dost with oil anoint,
    And my cup overflows.

Goodness and mercy all my life
    Shall surely follow me;
    And in God’s house forevermore
    My dwelling place shall be.

October 2, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Sokman

She's hotter than a branding iron

October 2, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  58. be quiet

"I've never looked out while singing a song during a concert to see so many girls crying."

That's only because Taylor isn't able to use auto tune at her shows and the audience is hearing her wretched voice. I'd cry too if I had to sit through that.

October 2, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • nsr37

You've clearly never been to one of her concerts then. She has an amazing voice (perhaps not the strongest one, but sweet in its own way), and she needs no autotune.

June 29, 2013 at 9:23 pm | Report abuse |