'Moon River' crooner Andy Williams dies at 84
Andy Williams and wife Debbie arrive at the 40th Annual Songwriters Hall of Fame Ceremony on June 18, 2009.
September 26th, 2012

'Moon River' crooner Andy Williams dies at 84

Legendary singer Andy Williams lost his year-long battle with bladder cancer on Tuesday night, his family confirmed in a statement. He died at home in Branson, Missouri. He was 84.

Williams was well-known for his Oscar-winning song "Moon River," which was featured in the iconic 1961 movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's," but that's far from his only hit.

The crooner, who got his professional start in the business at the age of 8, also saw success with songs like "Canadian Sunset," "Can't Get Used to Losing You" and "The Hawaiian Wedding Song," for which he received his first of five Grammy nods.

Williams is survived by his wife, Debbie (pictured with Williams above in 2009), and his three kids, Robert, Noelle and Christian.

Instead of flowers, the family has requested that donations be made to the Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network.

See the full story

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. word mammy

reblogged to racistsinamerica.com

September 28, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  2. E.G.Zinck

Andy had 2 lifelong admirers–myself and my 8 year old son......at the U. of Tenn. his concert included an angel that
    answered Andy's questions by glowing brighter. After the concert Andy invited the audience to stay–he wanted to meet each one. My son (probably the only "child" in the audience on a week-night wanted to stay and we did.
    Andy shook hands with him and talked to him longer than most others......and told him that his Mother was very pretty.
    My son responded, "I know it." Andy enjoyed my son's unexpected response.

September 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • great song

Born free, as free as the wind blows
      As free as the grass grows
      Born free to follow your heart
      [ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/a/andy_williams/born_free.html ]
      Live free and beauty surrounds you
      The world still astounds you
      Each time you look at a star

Stay free, where no walls divide you
      You're free as the roaring tide
      So there's no need to hide

Born free, and life is worth living
      But only worth living
      'cause you're born free

(Stay free, where no walls divide you)
      You're free as the roaring tide
      So there's no need to hide

Born free, and life is worth living
      But only worth living
      'cause you're born free

Send "Born Free" Ringtone to your Cell

© Universal Music Publishing Group, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc., EMI Music Publishing, Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

September 28, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. salleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Andy Williams was a class act with a beautiful voice. Those of you who have nasty comments to make about him
    should go crawl back under your rocks and keep you ignorant mouths shut.

September 27, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sarah

I had such a big crush on Andy, although I'm much younger I do remember watching a news program about Andy and his brothers. Some people may not know that Andy is the youngest of a group of brothers that also sang beautifully, like the Osmond brothers. He was a good man and I believe he was broken hearted by his first wife. He loved her so much, and was there supporting her in her trial regarding the murder case she was involved in. I am happy to see that he moved on and remarried. RIP Andy, you are still loved.

September 27, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. so true

Born free, as free as the wind blows
    As free as the grass grows
    Born free to follow your heart
    Live free and beauty surrounds you
    The world still astounds you
    Each time you look at a star

Stay free, where no walls divide you
    You're free as the roaring tide
    So there's no need to hide

Born free, and life is worth living
    But only worth living
    'cause you're born free

(Stay free, where no walls divide you)
    You're free as the roaring tide
    So there's no need to hide

Born free, and life is worth living
    But only worth living
    'cause you're born free

Send "Born Free" Ringtone to your Cell

Lyrics term of use

September 27, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. JADEZ

not much of a singer but proof that being mediocre is what sells to the ignorant masses.

had a fine career but will never be confused as a great singer like Sinatra, Bennett OR EVEN Dean WHO WHILE a real comedian still sang better then this guy.

September 27, 2012 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • @Jadez

How does it feel to be the most ignorant person on this planet? Andy Williams had a beautiful voice. Thanks for sharing that with the rest of the world, except for Jadez. He's a moron who knows nothing about music. Rest in peace, Mr. Williams.

September 27, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
    • treblemaker

Your comment is not even worth the time of day to dignify it. I am a highly experienced professional who had the HONOR of playing behind Andy Williams a couple of times. He was an exceptional human being and a gift to the world of music. You, on the other hand,-forget about it-my comment would be censored out.

September 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Scottt

For many Americans in their early to mid 40s who don't recognize the significance of Andy Williams, there's a decent chance that you or someone you know may actually have been conceived while your parents were listening to his music. Rest in peace Mr. Willams

September 27, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jay

God bless you Andy.

September 26, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. M. Valentino

I always thought Andy's voice played like a musical instrument. A great entertainer leaving many wonderful memories, especially at Christmas!!

September 26, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. lorie goldstein

I met Andy Williams many years ago when I worked for General Artists Corp. He was always soooooooo nice. He will
    always be remembered.

September 26, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. james

I cant remember a bad vocal or recording from him...always the right material...and that silky voice. I loved watching him at Christmas. I hope he was kept out of pain...bladder cancer is a demon.

September 26, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Matthew

When I was growing up it was never Christmas until we watched the Andy Williams Christmas special on network TV. All the greats are leaving us, and sadly there's no one to take their place.

September 26, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Drew Williams

What a smooth, rich treasure was Andy Williams. His records and his Christmas shows were standards in our house as I grew up in the late 60s.

September 26, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Ken

Andy Williams' songs were part of my parents' family weekend drive soundtrack when I was a little tyke in the early 1970s. Memories.

September 26, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Marilyn

One of my favourite all time songs was Born Free – well you are free now Mr Williams your up there with the Angels till you meet your loved ones again.

Good night god bless you.

September 26, 2012 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Pete

Youtube "Music to watch girls go by" Classic!

September 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  17. heloise8

Reblogged this on The Trough and commented:
    He was okay, no Sinatra though.

September 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Better Thank Sinatra, much more polished...a true tenor!

September 26, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ronnieblue

Not only better than Sinatra but sang original memorable songs: Moon River, Lonely Street, Village of St. Bernadette, Bilbao Song, Hawaiian Wedding Song, Canadian Sunset, Your Kind of Love, Butterfly, I like Your Kind of Love.

Sinatra? His best song was I Did it My Way and that was written by Paul Anka. He did sing New York, New York and High Hopes, one of my favourites. All the songs were written for him. he had no original songs he wrote himself.

September 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Phil James

My mom is surely happy today. For her, heaven probably wasn't complete until Andy got there.

September 26, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  19. michele

I can hear my dad singing right now!

September 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Fred

We have lost another Legend! R.I.P. Andy Williams...Thanks for all the Beautiful Music.ThoughI loved Listening to Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Mel Torme, I always thought you had the Best Voice!

September 26, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Prettyboy

Love his music as kid, rediscovering who is now. RiP.

September 26, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. JeffinIL

Another piece of my childhood gone.
    An amazing voice that will be missed.

September 26, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. BermudaBound

To me his legacy will always be tainted by the fact that he helped his ex-wife (Claudine Longet) get away with murder.

September 26, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

Let's look at it that way. The poor guy was dead. Nothing was going to bring him back. Yes Claudine was a cold blooded murderer. She absolutely met to kill that guy and she had not a shred of regret. It was painful to see her looking smug and confident at her trial. The only reason Williams paid the expensive lawyers was to keep the mother of his kids out of jail and it worked. It would have destroyed these kids and he was not about to let that happen. Claudine is still a woman with a killer instinct. I would not like to fool around with her. If you kill once out of anger and revenge, you can do it again.

September 28, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Marie

He is the first of three to go. Death comes in three's. Two more are coming. Sad but true. Father, Son and Holy Ghost. You may not believe in this but time will prove it true. I have seen it so much in my life, neighborhood, and career.

I will miss him. I have all his CD's.

September 26, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tanya

WTH?

September 26, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • phred

medications come in threes, and you have at least two still to go.

September 26, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Say it ain't so

Soo true

September 26, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

well, according to statistics, death occurs every minute or so regarding whether you think of world events or local ones. We all die, individually or in group but bottom line it is a constant thing. If you want to go Biblical....go for it. Whatever makes sense to you is your business. You, however do not have most of us convinced........

September 28, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  25. MD Mom

I'm pretty sure that Debbie is his daughter, not his wife. At least that's what the other bios say....

September 26, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*James

No. Debbie is his wife. That's her in the picture of him posted on this news article. I live in Branson and kinda know them.

September 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Marianne

Heaven has a wonderful new voice in it's choir. I will always remember him for his gentle manner. He was a true gentlemen, he was one of a kind and will be sorely missed. RIP Mr. Williams.

September 26, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Remembering ....

What a testament to a wonderful talent and life .... to have created so many memories, as evidenced by all the comment before mine. His songs will live on – Thank you, Andy.

September 26, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Ann

What touched my heart the most about him was when he was standing up in the choir at St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC, singing Ave Maria as the casket of Robert Kennedy was being wheeled down to the altar. People near him said he could barely sing as tears rolled down his face.
    God bless your soul. You will be sadly missed.

September 26, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  29. jan gregor

I am from Toronto Ontario and I remember Andy williams here I have some of his records which I have it is almost an end of an era those were the good old days that I grew up in to these people

September 26, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Donnie

I can remember danicing with Rita, the girl of my dreams, to "Moon River". What wonderful memories his music brings back to me. My thoughts go to his family and friends. He was a great talent.

September 26, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

He was so cool and relaxed. His music was nostalgic, romantic and dreamy. These days are now long gone.

September 28, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Miguel

I enjoyed his TV show> It would not be Xmas if I do not play his records !! RIP

September 26, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Laszlo

A great singer and a very nice person died. R.I.P. His Moon River and Love Story will always be remembered.

September 26, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Say it ain't so

Such a legend, such a star, one of the last remaining icons in show biz. RIP Mr. Williams, you will be missed.

September 26, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  34. my parents

have beautiful memories and thats why they have a happy marriage

September 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  35. who could forgeeet thisss one/wire

Born free, as free as the wind blows
    As free as the grass grows
    Born free to follow your heart
    Live free and beauty surrounds you
    The world still astounds you
    Each time you look at a star

Stay free, where no walls divide you
    You're free as the roaring tide
    So there's no need to hide

Born free, and life is worth living
    But only worth living
    'cause you're born free

(Stay free, where no walls divide you)
    You're free as the roaring tide
    So there's no need to hide

Born free, and life is worth living
    But only worth living
    'cause you're born free

Send "Born Free" Ringtone to your Cell

Lyrics term of use

September 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  36. stuck to harmon--remember this one

Ain't it true
    No matter what you do
    Someday when life is through
    They're gonna bury you
    Beneath the cold, cold ground, girl

Big or small
    Or short or fat or tall
    It's gonna get us all
    Someday we're gonna fall
    Beneath the cold, cold ground, girl

So you best believe it
    No matter what you do
    Yes, you best believe it
    Ain't it true, ain't it true
    Ain't it true

My poor heart
    Was almost torn apart
    Because you played a part
    You thought that you were smart
    And now you're gone
    Gone, gone, girl

All your life
    You treated me so bad
    You took the love I had
    And left me feeling sad
    But I'll go on, on, on, girl
    [ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/a/andy_williams/aint_it_true.html ]
    Cause I know that someday
    Your time will be due
    Yes, you'd best believe it
    Ain't it true, ain't it true
    Ain't it true

I don't want to be the one
    To see you in such misery
    Not even for the things
    You went and done, done, done, girl

There is time for
    You to change your mind
    And leave your cheating heart behind
    And turn the righteous kind
    Come back to me, girl

They lay you away
    There was never another like you

Ain't it true, girl
    Ain't it true, girl

September 26, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Great Man Great Stories

my grandparents use to watch his who with his brothers – he also discovered the osmond family...seemed like a
    sweeet man

September 26, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Never forget this song also that bringsss us cheeeer

It's the most wonderful time of the year
    With the kids jingle belling
    And everyone telling you "Be of good cheer"
    It's the most wonderful time of the year
    It's the hap-happiest season of all
    With those holiday greetings and gay happy meetings
    When friends come to call
    It's the hap- happiest season of all

There'll be parties for hosting

It's the most wonderful time
    It's the most wonderful time
    It's the most wonderful time
    It's the most wonderful time of the year

September 26, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • D.Wilck

When I play that Christmas song on the piano this year, I will surely think of Andy, and will hear his great voice in my head. RIP

September 26, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  39. we are glued to this example of humanity

Moon river, wider than a mile
    I'm crossing you in style some day
    Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
    Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way

Two drifters, off to see the world
    There's such a lot of world to see
    We're after the same rainbow's end, waitin' 'round the bend
    My huckleberry friend, moon river, and me
    [ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/a/andy_williams/moon_river.html ]
    (moon river, wider than a mile)
    (I'm crossin' you in style some day)
    Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
    Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way

Two drifters, off to see the world
    There's such a lot of world to see
    We're after that same rainbow's end, waitin' 'round the bend
    My huckleberry friend, moon river, and me

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/a/andy_williams/#share

September 26, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse | Reply

September 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Great singer...

my grandparents use to watch his who with his brothers - he also discovered the osmond family...seemed like a
    sweeet man.

September 26, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Pamela

It is a sad day today. RIP Mr Andy Williams. I absolutely loved him. He had such a lovely voice. He sings my favorite Christmas songs and he will be sorely missed by all.

September 26, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Glue to Andy

One of the Greatest Songss of All Time

Moon river, wider than a mile
    I'm crossing you in style some day
    Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
    Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way

Two drifters, off to see the world
    There's such a lot of world to see
    We're after the same rainbow's end, waitin' 'round the bend
    My huckleberry friend, moon river, and me
    (moon river, wider than a mile)
    (I'm crossin' you in style some day)
    Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
    Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way

Two drifters, off to see the world
    There's such a lot of world to see
    We're after that same rainbow's end, waitin' 'round the bend
    My huckleberry friend, moon river, and me

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/a/andy_williams/#share

September 26, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse | Reply

Ed Sr of Dallas Tx

What a wonderful memory this man has been to me. I loved to hear him sing and loved his very Perry Como like demeanor. He was a great entertainer who was blessed with "vocal magic". He will be missed but remembered.

September 26, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse | Reply

Patty

The memories...Andy Williams' beautiful, warm voice heard throughout our house as we baked cookies, sang with him or just hung out around the house. Now both he and Robert Goulet are gone. I hope they are singing to my precious mother and mother-in-law in heaven. I wish his family peace and comfort in knowing that his voice gave so many of us such happy times.

September 26, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse | Reply

Andy

i still think of you fondly

September 26, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse | Reply

andy..

i still think you fondly

September 26, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse | Reply

Jo Kleiner

Such a class act he was. When I was a young girl I saw him in concert and wrote a letter to him. I never asked for anything but he made sure he sent me a beautiful autographed picture he signed especially to me. I'll never forget how that touched my life and inspired me as a musician. God Bless you Andy – you will be missed!

September 26, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse | Reply

ClarasBeau

RIP to a great American singing icon. (Is it true that he dubbed Lauren Bacall's singing when she performed the song "Am I Blue?" in "To Have And Have Not"?)

September 26, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse | Reply

socalgal

Yes, classy that is until 2012 when he spewed his lack of intelligence.

September 26, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse | Reply

September 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  43. you dont see to understand...

WE ALL ARE GLUED TO YOU....%%%%%%%%%%%%%

September 26, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  44. ssure

sstfu

September 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Clint Eastwood

Can somebody ban the 'harmon' kid? Call his mom or something? He's creepy.

September 26, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Barb

RIP Andy! You r already greatly missed! We will always remember you!!

September 26, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • johnny Doughboy

Ditto–He was smooth, melodious, relaxing, and very memorable for his style, never tire of it.

September 26, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  47. One of the Greatest Songss of All Time

Moon river, wider than a mile
    I'm crossing you in style some day
    Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker
    Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way

Two drifters, off to see the world
    There's such a lot of world to see
    We're after the same rainbow's end, waitin' 'round the bend
    My huckleberry friend, moon river, and me
    (moon river, wider than a mile)
    (I'm crossin' you in style some day)
    Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker

September 26, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  52. Jo Kleiner

September 26, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  53. ClarasBeau

September 26, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  54. socalgal

Yes, classy that is until 2012 when he spewed his lack of intelligence.

September 26, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • cando

What the heck are you referring to?

September 26, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • candotoo

i remember this man like yesterday...classy guy, great voice, just something about him that is always there.

September 26, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Pamela

SHOW SOME RESPECT! WHY DON'T YOU KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT DUE TO LACK OF INTELLIGENCE? YOU DISRESPECTFUL LITTLE PUTZ

September 26, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  55. steve

Branson won't seem the same with Andy gone!

September 26, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  56. Barb

He really is "an American Treasure" as Ronald Reagan put it. His voice was something we won't see again. He had his own comfortable style and his talent was obvious. Thank you for your wonderful shows and the good, clean humor of yesterday.

September 26, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  57. anna

Another true gentleman gone, there are very few left.

Rest in peace.

September 26, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  58. nonyabidnes2

Rest in Peace Andy Williams, you'll be missed. I used to watch your TV show. A sad day for fans and your Bear...

September 26, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  59. hogarth

This piece makes it appear that Andy Williams was responsible for Moon River, although the song was written by Johnny Mercer and Henry Mancini. Andy Williams had a huge hit with the song, but he did not write it.
    One thing I will always remember about him – his campaign to change the national anthem from the Star Spangled Banner to America the Beautiful. Too bad that failed, but it shows where the man's heart was. RIP, Andy.

September 26, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • hogarth

EDIT: I just saw "Troy"s response below mine. Seems like I'm not the only one that noticed the problem with this piece. I apologize for the duplication.

September 26, 2012 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  60. dvchris

A once-in-a-lifetime voice and gentle man. His music will forever be etched in our minds. RIP Andy.

September 26, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  61. volsocal

Crooner?

September 26, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  62. Troy

Yes, "Moon River" was big hit for Williams throughout his career. But it was not "his" song as the story suggest. "Moon River" was written by Johnny Mercer and Composed by Henry Mancini for the 1961 release of the Movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and originally sung in that movie by Audrey Hepburn. In fact, it was written precisely for Hepburn's vocal range. Williams' cover of "Moon River" has become the most well know but generally not as critically acclaimed as American Jerry Butler's version (recorded before Williams') which hit #11 on the US charts.

September 26, 2012 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • The Truth About Your Mother

Your mother, although a very nice lady, had 2 other children that you don't know about, because in her day she was what we refer to as a "hussy" and slept around alot. But like I said, she was a very nice lady, although I preferred sleeping with her sister (you aunt) more, because she quieter while we did the deed. Your mother was a screamer. Now I guess people know the untold story about your mom, just like you know the unknown stuff about Andy Williams.

September 26, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  63. Charles Memory

What wonderful memories our family have of the song and entertainer

May Andy's family find love and peace of heart

September 26, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  64. Hot Carl

I remember when he murdered that skier.

September 26, 2012 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • john

You F'n idiot. That was Claudine Longet who killed the skier.

September 26, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Drew

Um, he did not murder "that skier". It was his ex-wife, Claudine Longet, who was charged with killing pro skier Spider Sabich.

September 26, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • bleedsnyblue

TROLL ALERT!
      That was his ex-wife, Claudine Longet.
      And you're a imbecile. Try getting some facts, especially before you speak ill of the dead. I love the knee jerk dolts that get on here and smear without any justification. Doesn't Faux News have a website where you can go libel someone to your heart's content?

September 26, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • jimmynog

Claudine Longet. Williams wasn't even there.

September 26, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • yowala

That was his ex wive Claudine Longet. The skiier was Spider Sabich.

September 26, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Fact Check

She... is was Andy's ex-wife, Claudine, that murdered the skiier.

September 26, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Andy's Friend

For the record, it was skiing star Spider Sabich killed by his girlfriend, French singer Claudine Longet, who happened to be Andy Williams wife at the time. Next time, please check your facts before you present them as such.

But what's sadder to me is that that is the best you could come up with after the man's death?
      What a loser! My only satisfaction is in knowing that you have to live with yourself every day. That must be depressing.

September 26, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Sarah

I remember that mess with Andy's ex wife Claudine. Andy and his ex were not even together, she was with the man that died. However, Andy always loved her and was always there for her. During the court proceedings and the rest of the mess, Andy was always by her side. You would see them in the evening news and he was always by her side. i'm glad to see that he finally moved on and was remarried.

September 26, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • J.Crobuzon

Don't answer these nimrods back, just report them until they vanish. Have you kids never been on the internet before?

September 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  65. clevercandi

Thank you, Andy, for all those memorable Christmas shows :)

Peace to his family and friends.

September 26, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • fond memories

His Christmas album was part of our holiday music collection when I was a kid. I've now inherited that album and recorded it into digital format, so Andy continues singing for me and my kids every Christmas season. Rest in Peace Andy.

September 26, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  66. azdaddie

Saw his Christmas show in Branson in November 2003. He was on stage for the entire show except for two numbers, and did two shows a day. He worked his tail off even at that age, and sounded as good as ever. I also grew up with the Andy Williams Christmas album, and watched his TV show every week. I rarely become melancholy over celebrity deaths, but this is a true, saddening loss.

September 26, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  67. Lucinda

Always enjoyed his t.v. show and looked forward to his Christmas specials each year. Such a good time we lived in back then......definitely RIP, Mr. Williams.

September 26, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  68. Ivan

THANKS FOR THE BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES AND FOR THE INSPIRATION. THE END OF AN ERA OF GLAMOUR.

September 26, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  69. desert1

He was a great singer and he helped a lot of performers get their start,I always loved his Christmas shows on TV,God Bless him and his family

September 26, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  70. pork&beans

....yesterday when i was young
    So long, Andy Williams...

September 26, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  71. Mary

He was the soundtrack to our family Christmas. Grew up watching his show. Have "Happy Heart" on my Ipod. Took my mother to see him in concert in the late '80s, she nearly knocked me out of my chair when he walked by! Rest in peace, Mr. Williams.

September 26, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  72. Three Dog Mama Minus Two

I always loved Moon River. He had a lovely voice and was a total class act. RIP Andy and thanks for the memories.

September 26, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  73. Spartacus

The world has just lost one very cool and compassionate man !!!
    My sincere condolences go out to his family and friends !!!
    I will never forget watching his highly polished and simple variety show as a kid !!!
    The man was true Legend !!!

September 26, 2012 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  74. MemaD

His voice always brought me to a quiet, serene place! Hearing him sing Moon River always took me there....RIP Mr. Williams

September 26, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  75. Joe

2012 has seen a large number of celebraties pass away; Andy Williams being the latest.

September 26, 2012 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  76. Jeffrey Cox

Andy Williams was my grandmother's favorite singer. His voice gave her a lot of joy in her last years. RIP, Andy.

September 26, 2012 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  77. lindaluttrell

Beautiful voice; lovely man. My condolences to the family

September 26, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  78. As Time Passes, so Must We All

Mr. Williams, You were truly a class act. Style and Grace and a voice and talent that simply connected people. We will all cross over one day and I hope to you meet you in the Great Beyond. Bless your family and godspeed, Sir.

September 26, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  79. cooluser50

I LOVED this guy. What a voice...like silk. One of the best ever. Thanks Andy.....

September 26, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  80. Hogan's Goat

Right about now that dang bear is rooting in his pocket for a cookie.

September 26, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Arnold Ziffel

Ah, yes, the bear. What a hoot! Thanks for the memory.

September 26, 2012 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Hogan's Goat

The great monster movie costumer Janos Prohaska, wearing his best costume ever.

September 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Dee Ginsberg

Moon river was our wedding song, 47 years ago. We always watched Andy Williams, thru the years on t.v...when we heard his signature song it brought back good memories. He will be missed by all. He seemed to look like such a nice guy. And according to the eulogies I've been hearing this morning he truly was.

September 26, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  82. craig

The best voice I've ever heard. [And I mainly listen to rock music]

September 26, 2012 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  83. S L Andrew

Was lucky enough to meet him in person during the filming of his second TV series. He was a gentleman along with being a great singer and TV personality.

September 26, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  84. ctbeckyw

Another legend gone. RIP, Mr. Williams. Thanks for all music and TV memories.

September 26, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  85. Brian T.

Andy Williams was and always will be one of the best singers I've had the pleasure of listening to. He will be missed but will remain alive in my memory and through the music he left us. RIP to one of the greatest,,,

September 26, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  86. Sandra Kelso

Andy Williams touched millions and more including me threw the years and there will never be anyone that can take his place, thanks to Andy many were blessed and up lifted , God Bless his family and friends ! we will miss you !
    Sandra from Indiana

September 26, 2012 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  87. Deb Ed

RIP M.r Williams. Your singing was perfect to sooth the soul. Prayers to your family.

September 26, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  88. Lamont

Poor guy. May he go to the happy place.

September 26, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  89. gale

Loved his voice and his show. So many of the greats are gone.

September 26, 2012 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  90. mattski

Wow the end of an era. We watched his Christmas specials every year when we were kids - the Williams Brothers and their mini-me's the Osmonds so long ago. RIP Andy.

September 26, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  91. Jesse Pinkman

Rest In Peace Andy. The world is a much better place for having you in it. Your beautiful music shall live on forever. Condolences to the family at this sad time of Andy's passing.

September 26, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  92. tru

RIP Andy – what a loss - he gave his music a heart -

September 26, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  93. Janet

Andy Williams was one of the great voices of our time. I remember watching the Andy Williams show and the Christmas specials with nostalgia. He was a class act.

September 26, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  94. loisrgriswold

May God be a Comfort to Debbie and his family. So thankful we will still be able to hear his voice. God is good...Love, Lois

September 26, 2012 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  95. greg

who knows what happens at death,theories abound,Andy Williams was a great crooner,hope his family are ok...

September 26, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  96. William

I loved Andy Williams voice growing up in the 60's so sad to see all my old favorite singers and musicians passing on my favorite by Andy was Cant get used to loving you RIP Andy.

September 26, 2012 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  97. David

Always loved "Moon RIver". I bet Mr. Williams crossed it in style last evening.

September 26, 2012 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
    • tru

you brought tears to my eyes , I am sure he did

September 26, 2012 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • old dragon

Beautifully said. If there's a heaven, the angelic choir just made a space for a soloist!

September 26, 2012 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Hogan's Goat

I remember this the next time I pass the old Savannah River by moonlight.

September 26, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Slambino

Hearing him sing always makes me emotional. It's like tasting cookies that your Grandma baked or something. I go right back to a peaceful, cozy childhood with a mom and dad who took care of everything. Definitely in the early family life soundtrack for me.

September 26, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Young at Heart

I couldn't have said it better myself. Moon River is one of my favourite childhood songs. RIP Andy and condolences to the family.

September 26, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
    • harmon watch

sssssslambino? ... lay down and take a nap

September 26, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  99. Lola

So sad! what a lovely, mellow, sweet voice! Loved him since I was 10!!

September 26, 2012 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  100. boarddog

RIP Andy. What a great voice and a monumental loss to the art...

September 26, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  101. Kathleen Elizabeth

He will always be remembered. My parents are a big fan of him. RIP andy Williams

September 26, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  102. Jesse

RIP. Andy Williams lives forever in the the musical air waves. GOD BLESS YOU

September 26, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  103. SSSorry to hear it..

my family adored him and he will always be the highlight of our christmas!!! rip my dear.

September 26, 2012 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  104. be quiet

One of the best voices I've ever heard. Moon River is such a beautiful song.

Sad when childhood icons pass. RIP Mr. Williams.

September 26, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |