'How I Met Your Mother': That's nice. Now who's the Mother?
September 25th, 2012

'How I Met Your Mother': That's nice. Now who's the Mother?

After watching the season premiere of "How I Met Your Mother" on Monday, I realized that I'll most likely find the mother of my future children before Ted Mosby does (Vegas actually has me going off at 4-to-2 odds).

Then again, all I have to deal with is fate, chemistry, luck, mathematical probability and guys who have great abs, like Robin's new boyfriend.

Ted, on the other hand, has to deal with a show that refuses to get to the point.

Monday's season premiere, "Farhampton," picked up right where we left off - sort of. At first, everything happened in the future ... and then in the past ... and then in the future again? Honestly, I don't know. I get confused watching "Survivor."

But what I do know is that we were once again given an episode with a lot of interesting plot points that - thanks to "HIMYM" being its own spoiler alert - didn't go anywhere.

Going through last season's greatest "possibly-The-Mother" hits of Victoria, The Slutty Pumpkin, Robin and somehow Victoria again was at times as burdensome as actually talking to one's own mother (just kidding Ma, love you!). I mean, sure, it served the show's ultimate purpose, but it overshadowed some of the other intriguing occurrences.

For example, the plotline of Marshall and Lily having a baby (also known as a "greatest middle name of all time" nominee, Marvin "Waitforit" Erickson) and Barney getting engaged were all just footnotes in the search to get to The Mother of all "HIMYM" answers.

And now, at the start of a fresh season, we get an episode with more footnotes:

"Lily and Marshall are soooo tired that they're basically under-the-sea zombies! Hilarious, right?" [Don't care, get to the Mother.]

"How about Ted sitting at a train station in the future where we see a woman with a yellow umbrella who could maybe, possibly be the Mother?" [Blank stare.]

See what I mean?

The explanation Victoria's runaway groom, Klaus, gave to Ted on how Victoria is "almost the thing you want but not quite" was fitting. It was a great moment, but it's also pretty much what "HIMYM" is right now. It's "almost the thing you want but not quite."

Yet, I still hold hope that we'll find that "lifelong treasure of destiny" sooner rather than later.

What did you think of the premiere? Are you, like me, going to keep watching anyway?

1. Dave

If I had to guess, the most logical person would be Barney's half-sister, Carli. We know she's in college, quite possibly at Ted's university and attended his class. Her father also lives 10 minutes away from Ted's home in White Plains, so it would make sense that they would take the same train home from the wedding. The fact that she has the guitar doesn't necessarily mean she played a gig that day, but perhaps she did at the wedding. And I'm not convinced that she and Ted would've met at the actually wedding (remember, Ted always said that he met the Mother the day of the wedding, not at the wedding). I've been to a number of weddings before and I haven't always met every one there.

November 5, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ABC

i think the mother is the girl who is standing behind the "bump girl" and is chatting with her friends. She wore a similar or rather the same jeans as the "yellow umbrella girl" and is constantly been shown in background over Teds shoulder... its is Season 3 ep12 13.49 ..and she is wearing shiny jewel attached to her top .i wonder if she is in Teds class too.. Season 5 ep1... :)

October 28, 2012 at 5:24 am | Report abuse |
  3. ZimZim

Sorry...Bob S. is Ted's VOICE of the future.

October 24, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lyn

The narrator of the show is not Ted, it is Bob Saget. So he is a character not yet seen but will soon be introduced as Ted's older brother and those two children are his, which explains why everyone is aunt and uncle. I bet he marries Ted's old girlfriend from architecture class.

October 19, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Why would Ted's older brother's kids be calling Ted's friends "aunt" and "uncle". All the characters in the show are NOT the long time friends of Ted's older brother, but are the long time friends of Ted himself.

October 24, 2012 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
    • ZimZim

Oh come ON!! Bob Saget is supposed to be Ted's wife of the future. There have been talks with the kids where he kiddingly says he married someone that he was dating and that person pops up on the scene. So NO, that is just ridiculous. Ted's old girlfriend from architechture class (Rachel Bilson) is gay.

October 24, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • ZimZim

Sorry! Bob S. is Ted's VOICE of the future.

October 24, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shaun

I watched the show when it first came on, but after a season or 2, I lost interest. Most of the episodes, damn near all of them, have absolutely NOTHING to do with Ted finding the kids mother. They're just random stories he's telling. It's like you know your parents met as adults but when you ask your dad to tell the story of how they met he tells you about a red wagon he had when he was 6... what does that have to do with anything? GET TO THE POINT OF WHAT I WANT TO KNOW! Also, what would happen if they cancelled the show without a season finale? Would they still let everyone know what they've been waiting 8 or 9 seasons to find out or just leave it a mystery?

October 18, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Thomas

October 17, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lynn

I love this show – I really hate to see it end. There are so few creative shows on the major networks. There are stupid reality shows, sports and a few sitcoms but most are not worth watching. It is a device – not a promise. Enjoy it before something brain numbing replaces it.

October 17, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. joe

My theory is that when Ted is speaking to his kids,they are not his! .....He keeps refering to Robin as "your aunt Robin. just a thought! great show eaither way.

October 15, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me

It's absolutely common to refer to your best friends as aunt and uncle to your children granted your children have had contact with the friends usually heard with younger children to refer to them in such a way.

January 28, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Stewie Griffin

This show blows. The premise was slightly interesting at first, but this show should have been 86'd long ago.

October 13, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • ImReallySmart

No NO NO NO NO NO if a show sucks it doesnt have seven seasons, thats your dumb opinion.

November 3, 2012 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sam123

Should all the ladies have the same first name? Kids know what the name of their mother is... So when he talks about someone with a different name – kids know that is not their mother.
    The whole idea behind the show is sort of stupid.

October 11, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Keith

This is one of the greatest shows ever. its up there with Coach, Home Improvement, King of Queens, and of course Two and a Half Men with Charlie not without. I hope this show keeps going for as long as the cast wants to stay toegther. They have the greatest job in the world so enjoy it.

October 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Dudesdad

Used to watch it, but not much anymore. And I cannot think of Barney anymore as a womanizer since he was on Conan talking about his partner and adopted baby. Nothing against that, I just don't see him as a woman magnet anymore.

October 10, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • tanya

thats just stupid

October 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Izzardfan

Neil's children (he and his partner have two) are not adopted. They were conceived using a surrogate and are fraternal twins.

October 17, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. thomas

I think the Mother will be "Wait for it"............

October 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Barney

Legendary?

My greatest fear is that the show will get cancelled before we ever find out who the mom is. The show has such a great premise, but the problem is that by its defintion, as soon as they satisfy the premise, there will be no more plot for the show. However, they've succeed in skating on the premise so long, I kind of think they could survive after they perform the big reveal.

Biggest spoiler, is that Ted shows his baby watching Star Wars with Barney and Marshall, I believe they even gave a X number of years (2 or 3) I forget. So unless Ted has an out-of-wedlock baby, ditches the mom and kid, and gets another lady to be his "kids" mother, then hopefully we have finally reached a defined time-line.

October 9, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chad

The mother will be Barney's half sister played by an actress named Lyndsey Fonseca. If you pay careful attention they tell you this through a variety of clues. For example:
    1. When talking to his kids in the future he always refers to their "Uncle Barney". By marrying Barney's sister, that really would make him their uncle.
    2. Ted always said that he meets the mother at a wedding, and Barney and Robin are getting married.
    3. Barney recently met his father and he shows Barney a photo of his family and he says that the girl in the photo is his daughter named Carly who is in college. They never show her in the episode, but she is listed in the credits at the end of the show as the daughter-being played by an actress named Lyndsey Fonseca.
    4. The mother attended one of Ted's lectures in college when he was a professor.
    5. Barney will probably invite his father and "new" family to the wedding, setting the stage for Ted to eventually meet the mother. Maybe Barney and Robin get her to perform at the wedding, but she will be there.

I'm a fan who looked for the clues, even the hard to find ones, and this is what I came up with. What do you think?

October 8, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelli

Chad,
      Lyndsey Fonseca is the name of the actress who plays Ted's daughter. She appears in all the episodes where they show the son and daughter sitting on the couch.
      Now I might be with you on the half-sister part, but the actress just isn't Lyndsey Fonseca.

October 8, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jarrod

the name may be off, but I definitely think you are on to something my friend :)

October 9, 2012 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Rach

Chad, Ted also calls Marshall "Uncle Marshall" and Robin "Aunt Robin" so I don't think Barney is literally the uncle.

October 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jonathan

The mother is not Barney's half sister. Here's why:
      1. If the sister comes to the wedding with her family, why would she be taking a cab by herself to the train station?
      2. The writers said that at the train station is the first time the mother and Ted meet. He would meet Barney's sister at the wedding.
      3. The mother is carrying a bass guitar with her meaning she performed in a band that day.
      Also, at the end of each episode in the credits they mention daughter. That's future Ted's daughter who is sitting on the couch with her brother.

October 9, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • BJ

Chad, great points. I'm just trying to understand why they keep saying he met her at Barney's wedding. 1) It was stated that she was a student of his, so she obviously "met" him and 2) in one of the earlier seasons, he was dating the "mother's" roommate when he happened to see her from behind walking into her room after a shower. I know that doesn't count as "meeting", but being a student of his and him dating her roommate seems like a lot of opportunity to meet that they seem to forget.

October 12, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kellito

Several seasons back Ted and the gang attend a wedding – at the end of the show, Ted says that the mother was also at that wedding but they didn't meet up at it. So – she's already been seen.

October 18, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

It's that chick that bumped into Ted in the episode where he finds the yellow umbrella (the club episode where they remember the night completely differently than how it actually went.)

October 21, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Dean

Chad,
      What do I think?
      You have waaaaaaaaaay too much free time and waste a lot of it obsessing over network television.

October 21, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • UhMannyG

I believe future Ted says he meets the kid's mother the day of a wedding, not at the wedding. I assume if he meets Barney's half sister it'll be at the wedding and not on a train platform after the fact. I believe Ted sees the mother performing at the wedding, but doesn't actually have a real chance to meet her. That may be why he sits at the platform looking a bit deflated. Until, wait for it...

October 23, 2012 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Hanna

Well... Lyndsey Fonseca is playing Ted's daughter....so no.

October 23, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • AL

Actually, given that Lyndsey Fonseca is in her 20s now, that would be some pretty brilliant casting. Future Ted: "And Leia, you look just like your mom."

October 23, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. john

Still hoping it's Robin. Haven't seen show in 3-4 yrs. Got tired of the show. Do love the slap bet...Hope it's still Robin. Barney needs to stay the way he is...Just like Charlion 2 1/2 Men

October 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Smarter Than You

Frank, what are you, 20-something? Must be, or younger than that, because it only ever seems to be people who are 30 or older who understand that 'it's not about the destination, it's about the JOURNEY'. Get over your need for instant gratification.

October 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mossy

Instant gratification? We're in season 8 now. The journey has been great, but he's not alone in finally wanting to know. I'm over 30. Generalizations are asinine.

October 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Blaine

Ted has already revealed that he met his wife at Robin and Barney's wedding so we know it's someone he hasn't met yet in this current timeline. And she plays in a band and has a yellow umbrella. So yes – it's most likely the woman with the guitar in the pic above. It's not Robin and it's not Victoria.

October 8, 2012 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  18. Jess Sayin

Did I miss something in the episode? Did Ted just abandon Victoria in the car and sit in the rain waiting for a bus? Why was he waiting for transportation if he and Victoria drove there? There are too many holes in this episode. @Burt Ward: my daughter discovered the same scene and is also convinced the slim brunette is the mother. You may be right! At any rate, the cast is getting a little old for the singles in NYC setting. Time to wrap it up and reveal the mother already.

October 7, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. CTed

Nobbody we've met can be the mother... it's not possible. How would that work? The kids he is telling the story too would know if their mother's name were "victoria" for instance... and thus when he met her at the wedded... boom end of story (it's not how I married your mother). It can't be victoria, or robin, or stella... never could have been.
    We know its the woman with the yellow unbrella.
    But who really cares? The show is about the people and the search. He'll find here when the show ends, that will be that. Still good in the meantime.

October 7, 2012 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  20. SomeGuy

Who the mother is really isn't the point of the show. From the very first episode we know that Ted gets a happy ending. It's about watching him and his friends develop over the years. The mystery to how this ends is the wedding between Robin and Barney. We don't know what's going to happen to them or how they turn out. We get very few clues as to what's happening in their lives in the future other than Robin travels a lot. I have no idea what happens to Barney in the future. When they did a Flash Forward with Ted's baby daughter Neil Patrick Harris literally sat on his hand so you couldn't see if he had a wedding ring on.

That's at least how I look at everything. Ted is going to get a happy ending. Marshal and Lilly stay together. Those 3 are good. It's Robin and Barbey that we don't know about.

October 6, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  21. verystrange

How I Met Your Mother is still on? I quit watching it when they revealed that it wasn't Robin. I laughed and nodded when the head writer said they screwed up when they eliminated Robin. This show is making money and making fun of the viewing audience with every wild goose chase. At this point, who really CARES who the mother is, much less how me met her?

October 6, 2012 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • JJ

Robin was eliminated at the end of the pilot episode, when Future Ted tells the kids, "That's how I met your AUNT ROBIN". Oblivious much?

October 8, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Chuck Youcheff

Love this show......did not read any other posts. My feelings are none of these friends are the mother just because of how they are always referred to as, uncle and aunts........the true story here always starts out in future by 20-30 years later. I feel the real mother (not sure if Ted is divorced or a widower) won't be discovered until the last season and maybe the son and daughter will be in show, not just lister ending to ted's stories....and it will be a super surprise....

October 6, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. ChaseR

THE MOM IS ROBIN!!!! He calls her "ant robin" cause thats her nickname from getting attacked bu ants in the 2nd episode of the first season and they show her face as the mom too! How do yall not know this!? Go back and watch it!

HA! JUST KIDDING!

Yes I love the show but really would like them to get on with the damn thing already, the show can still go on after he finds her and what not, why the hold up? Its like a bigger tease than "LOST" was!!! WHOS THE SMOKE MONSTER, TELL ME!!!!

October 5, 2012 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  24. Aero Space

There have been a lot of clues – everyone needs to pay attention to all of the yellows and where they are placed – they all give clues. You need to have patience and see the show for what it is. It is really funny with raunchy jokes and has become a cult favorite like "friends". Go along for the ride and enjoy the dirty and nerdy jokes including Marshal and the monkey that stole his wallet – I mean who does not like that video game music plus acting like a silly silent movie. Relax and enjoy.

October 4, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Ted's just another wishy-washy Ross

Hmmm, yeah, the show doesn't have much to do with telling the kids how Ted met their mother. (I haven't watched in awhile, are the kids even Ted's?) If I shared videos with my kids about how I met their mother and rarely touched upon the mother within my single days and spent as much time on myself without showing videos of their mother's life, I know my kids would have bailed a long time ago. Much like I did as a viewer in the second season. I loved Victoria and felt she should have become part of the show. That didn't happen, and I could see where the show was heading... no thanks, call me when you reveal the mother already. I wouldn't have minded watching a show convert to years of courtship. But this - this - this show refuses to get on with it.

October 4, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  26. ker

the biggest problem i have is that the show has itself locked into a time frame – when "the kids" are watching what is now years and years worth of videos (will they even make it through school having to watch all this?), the show already has a year picked for the viewing, and we have rough ages for the kids. if ted doesn't start popping those things out soon, the entire thing will be like Robin's pregnancy-scare episode - the kids won't be real, they will just be a figment of the story-telling. and that would REALLY suck.

October 4, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Josh

Seems like Im one of the few with the PATIENCE to enjoy this show for every episode. Each week I can't wait for the next episode. I really enjoy each small story every episode holds.

October 4, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  28. John Q.

The entire series is based on "How I met your mother," which in turn means you won't know till the last episode or two. I mean honestly, is it called "How I met your mother and then a little afterwards too?"

October 4, 2012 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  29. ironwolf56

Seems to the M.O. of Lorre's shows. They start off strong, you really enjoy them...the first few seasons it stays pretty strong maybe even grows a bit. Then it just keeps going...and going...and not in a good way. For those of you familiar with TV Tropes, I'm talking, of course, about Seasonal Rot. First we had the unfunny lame zombie that is now Two and a Half Men; now we have HIMYM creeping in that direction. Give it a couple years or so people will be wishing Big Bang Theory would get to the point already.

October 4, 2012 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  30. Cuff Camlin

I have loved this show from the beginning because Ted is from Shaker Heights and I am from neighboring Cleveland Hts.A lot of my friends in high school were from Shaker Hts.And most of us fans are tired of waiting for the Mom to show up .But in truth I have had so much fun watching this group of characters over the years that I don't really want it to end.I have even wondered if after they introduce the mother they could keep going by telling the story as the family happens and begins to grow.Kind of A how I survived your mother or what happened after I met your mother.These guys having and raising families could be funnier than these guys being single and settling on partner's.let's hope this crew keeps it together for many more years.

October 4, 2012 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
  31. bob

was once one of the best sitcoms on tv.....past few years have NOT been funny...i could deal with not knowing mom if the show was still funny....but it is not

October 3, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  32. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Am I getting this wrong, or did the scene at the beginning of the show, way back when say the talk to the kids started in 2030 and they are teenagers? It has got to come to an end pretty darn soon . . ..

October 3, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  33. jim

To the writer: in the real world, four-to-two odds are just called two-to-one odds.

October 3, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  34. Scott

HIMYM is a journey, not a destination.

October 3, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  35. Annie

The entire CBS Monday night line-up has turned into complete trash. Used to be my favorite night and station for watching TV. Not anymore. .....and Broke Girls has got to go NOW! So disappointing

October 3, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  36. JohnnyDH

I am waiting for the mother to be revealed, the series to end, and then the new spinoff to start how I Murdured Your Mother

October 2, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Sherwin

I used to record this show every week. I got sick of the a couple years back.

October 2, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  38. marley

Notice how in the promos Ted isn't even there? Used to love this show but it has become "The Lilly, Marshall, Barney Show" with Ted as a supporting player. I loved the angst of Ted in the first season, how he longed to find his true love. Now I'm just waiting for the cancellation to come so they can wrap it up and I can quit having to remember to watch it. It has become a big yawn and, like Lost, the wait for the big "reveal" has been too long. They should have ended it a couple seasons back.

I have a feeling they might never reveal who the "mother" is-that would be the biggest "gotcha!" ever!

October 2, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Who Gives

A Rad Zass

October 2, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Chad

The show would be better if they revealed the mother this season, and then just had another season or two of courtship, and more of the running gags (Trill it Up, Slap bet, Slapsgiving), and eventually tie up the loose ends of Barney and Robin.

October 2, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  41. Legendary

I used to love the show as well it has started getting long in the tooth.

I am only holding out right now to see the 5th and final slap from Barney and Marshall's Slap Bet!

October 2, 2012 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  42. Debbie

As much as I love the show, I feel compelled to admit that the basic premise is flawed. If he truly is narrating the story of how he met his wife, how is Marshall getting mugged by a monkey relevant? It makes no sense. First of all, it shouldn't have stretched beyond five seasons if one keeps Ted's age in mind. Moreover, if the network producers had wanted the show to run into 8 or more seasons from the very beginning, they should've given it a format where it is nothing but a collection of frothy anecdotes. I am tired of waiting to catch a glimpse of that face beneath the yellow umbrella; the novelty is wearing off. I've been faithful to this show for far too long. The stories were a lot better back when the writers stuck to the course of the show. Now, they are simply grabbing at loose ends. This had better be the last season.

October 2, 2012 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
    • sam

I agree. His kids are probably like, "Dad, while you've been telling us this story, we've gone through puberty and stuff. Can we just wrap it up already?"

October 3, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • CTed

Dude it's a device.... the show is like friends it's just a sitcom. The mother will be met in the last episode, the telling the story to his kids is just a plot device... he said it was going to be a LONG story...
      It's not keeping yo on edge like lost, it's not doing anythign weird. It's just a sticom that we know Ted's ending to. That's it.

October 7, 2012 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  43. Username

The name of the show is not "How I Won Your Mother's Heart, Married Her, and Sired Two Kids Who Have Only Appeared in Stock Footage for the Last Six Seasons". We aren't going to meet the girl under the umbrella until the final episode.

And that's okay.

October 1, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Dina

I have to say that my husband and I used to love this show. What the hell is happening on it? I mean is Ted going to meet this chick or not? Does Barney marry Robin or not? Didn't Ted buy a house a couple of years ago? Why is he now living in an apartment? It is more annoying than entertaining at this point.

October 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Dan

Gilligan's Island syndrome. The castaways could never get rescued because it destroys the entire premise of the show. Each episode was another "gotcha". Same thing here.

October 1, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Capt. Obvious

My best guess is that the show writers never had a clear vision of this story from start to finish.... it shows in the make it up as you go along story telling which inevitably gets old. At this point more and more people notice how this go no where story may not have a proper pay off. I have always been wary of a story arc that does not stick to the introduction, build up, climax, resolution, ending format. CBS and HIMYM are more intersted in $$$$$$$ than telling a good story.

October 1, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Travis

I'm a fan of the show I really am but I hope this is the last season and I hope they get to the friggin point already.

If I see another yellow umbrella I'm going to lose it.

October 1, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  48. Sam

This TV show is still on the air? I thought it was cancelled a long time ago.

September 30, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  49. DDM

Can't stand this show. Don't watch it. Lily character always stupidly blurting out every secret was just too annoying. I don't even know if that still part of the show – because, as I already said – I don't watch it. Can't believe it hasn't been canned long ago.

September 30, 2012 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • craigberger

Lol! Didn't even realize that was a thing... but it happens in the season premiere!

October 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

Haha. That happened for the first time when Ted's sister Heather came to visit, i think. Even that was roughly 78691 seasons ago.

October 2, 2012 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Kellito

They why are you reading and commenting on an article about it? Simply to spread your joyous opinion of things?

October 18, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Pirate.Kitten

This show is getting on my nerves. ted is so pathetic and his whining is irritating. I hope he finds the mother of his kids so this train wreck can finally end! I was into this show at first and absolutely loved it! But lately it's been a real bore! I watched the first episode and I decided to not record it anymore while I'm at work. I'm done. If he meets her on this season? Good for him and put this show to rest!

September 30, 2012 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  51. symone says

are we going to keep watching anyway? not really? this bored me a long time ago. at some point i wouldn't mis one episode. then i started noticing that i was seeing only reruns i already saw, so i stopped watching it for a while. then i started just forgetting to care and not even looking if it was a rerun when i saw it on the schedule ...

so yeah. no.

September 28, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Warren

I've purchased every season of this series so far on iTunes, but will pass on this latest one. I can perhaps deal with the non-disclosure of the mother, frustrating as it may be, but the show has really stopped being funny for a while now. Tell us who the mother is, or become funny again, and I'll come back.

September 28, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  53. ewerwe

I don't think the writers were expecting viewers to connect so much with Victoria. I think she was meant to be a one-off storyline but they keep bringing her back because of demand. Whoever the mother is, they'd either need to give her a whole season to build a connection (doubtful) or reveal her at the last minute, meaning she'll just be another disconnected woman in a show that has a huge string of them (seriously – where do that many lonely hot women hang out in a dive bar like that?). Ok. I still hope it's Victoria.

September 28, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  54. julia

the whole point of the show is not who the mother is, but how he met her...

September 28, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Yeah kids let me tell you how I met your mother by telling you an impossibly long story most of which will have nothing to do at all with How I Met Your Mother.

October 1, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Krissy

He met her in the class he taught – remember? He told the kids "she was one of my students but that's another story".

October 1, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • marie

Not only a student, but the roommate of another student he dated.

October 1, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • craigberger

He didn't meet her in the class– she was in his classroom... but he was in the wrong room.

October 1, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • BaltoPaul

I thought the whole point of this show was that it was about a gay guy chasing women for some unexplained reason.

October 13, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Dumb tv

This has got to be one of the dumbest shows I've ever tried to watch,next to two broke girls. At this point who cares who da momma is,probably one of the two broke girls.

September 28, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Josh

Am going to still watch....

However, I am indeed getting tired of the writers dragging the disclosure of who is the mother. The woman under the yellow umbrella is only the SECOND hint we have ever gotten in SEVEN YEARS. Come on, already!

You can't drag out a mystery for seven years. We better start getting some more clues, and start getting them pretty regularly!

September 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

"Plus, I hope we get to see at least some of their relationship build, and that the mother will not simply be disclosed during the last 10 seconds of the series finale."
      Haha yeah, ten seconds left in the series finale, he looks up at her and says "Wow..." and she turns to him, and then older Ted comes on and says, "And that, kids, is the true story, of How I Met Your Mother."
      and then the kids look at him and the son says "woooowww....cool story bro, tell it again?" xD

October 1, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  57. STEVE

There is no such thing as 4-to-2 odds. Odds are taken to the lowest denominator. your odds would be 2-to-1. If they were taking odds, you'd more than likely be 5-to-2 at best.

September 28, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Capt. Obvious

THANK YOU!!! I was bugged by that also.

October 1, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • roger

whew! crisis averted, we can all get on with out lives. Im sure the writer will quit or be fired for this embarrassment.

October 5, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  58. WASP

never watched the show and by the reviews i've read i don't want to. :) but i hope you all truly enjoy it.

September 28, 2012 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  59. erin

It's going to be Barney's half-sister, Carly Whitaker. That's why she was at the weeding. She was mentioned as a college age student living in the city and Barney has never met her (and neither have we...).

September 28, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  60. burt ward

We have seen the mother very briefly. She's a nice looking skinny brunette who was done with a gig at the bar where he lost his cellphone. He rushed back to the bar as it was emptying out and bumped into her and said,"Sorry." She smiled at him and the exchange lasted about 3 seconds. He did not find the cellphone and as he left the bar, it was raining heavy. He went back in and pickup a yellow umbrella. He then used that umbrella as he exited the bar. It was her umbrella. Remember he ran into a similar umbrella at her apartment (but never got to see her that day).

September 28, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  61. jamimadi

Here's my theory:

Robin is the mother, but since she never wanted kids and Ted did, Ted adopted the kids but never told them they were adopted.
    This whole story is Ted getting around to telling the kids they're adopted and "Aunt" Robin is actually their mother.

September 27, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • W

Except that the show constantly refers to Robin as "Your aunt Robin" and they already have stated in a previous season that the mother is the roommate of the lesbian Ted went on a few dates with.

September 27, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

The creators have said many many times that Robin is not the mother and to get over it. Not to mention the fact, the mother is a former roommate of one of Ted's girlfriends (I forget her name)....Robin and Ted had their final breakup, he wasn't the one for her, Barney is.

September 28, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
    • HAHAH!

HAHAHAHAHA Nice!

October 5, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danielle

That is Soooo what I wish would happen!!! SEeing that future flash of barney and robin when they're engaged at the end of the pre-nup just didn't feel right!

October 7, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  62. josh rogen

I think in the end ted will marry barney and the kids will turn out to have been adopted

September 27, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Dana

I was disappointed the the season premiere. Nothing really happened, nothing funny, I think it's time to get to the point, find teh mother and finish the series. I love the actors but I think writers are burned out of any ideas.

September 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  64. JB

It's a girl from a bar that Ted went back to find his wallet (I think). It was the night he thought he was a stud and funny, but when he remembered what really happened, it went pretty bad.

He ran into a woman and mentioned he didn't know it at the time, but 'your mother was at that bar that night'. The actress didn't really say anything and it had nothing to do with the episode, so that's my guess is that it'll be her. I want to say she had brown hair. Cute.

September 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Ruth Narr

If I were those kids, I would have said, "Never mind, Dad, I'll ask Mom," a long time ago. Boring.

September 27, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Waitforit

It is NOT Robin. In one of the episodes Ted tells his children that Robin never has any children.

September 26, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • TS

You are absolutely right. AND when Ted talks to the kids about her, he always calls her "your Aunt Robin." So, sadly, it can't be her.

September 26, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • DC

Ever heard of adoption?

September 27, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  67. kingazuraz

Damn right I'm going to keep watching.

I really hope it's Robin.

September 26, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Stu

This is the most cleverly written show on television. I understand there are contract barriers especially with Jason Segal (Marshall) so most likely this is the last season. The writers have admitted they are writing it that way and if there is an 11th hour deal for a 9th season they have a plan B. The writers have stated that the lady at the railroad station is in fact Ted's future baby momma. They say that the train station is in fact the place and time they meet as well.

September 26, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  69. Ron

who would f a mofo like you–you could not get me drunk enough, or rocketed enough

September 26, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  70. mofo s

writing stinks

September 26, 2012 at 6:25 am | Report abuse |
  71. Hope

I like the way that this was written, it almost sounds as if it could have been Jason Segel's writing! I will definitely keep watching the show but truly hope it wraps up soon, these people are too old to be single and Lily and Marshall are practically unfunny and written out of the show now that there is a child.

September 25, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Single and proud

Too old to be single??!! So in their early 30s everyone has to be settled down and having kids because that is the be all and end all in life? What a depressing thought.

September 26, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • kingazuraz

You have to be quite stupid to think that someone is too old to be single.......at any age.

September 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Savinggrace4

I wasn't aware there was an expiration date for being single. I'm turning 40 next week and managing perfectly well without a husband, thank you very much.

September 26, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherry

I feel bad for you Hope. You need to be happy with your own self before you can be truly happy with a mate.
      I got married (for the first time!) at age 41 to a 29 year old. I loved my single life so much, it took a long time to settle this girl down.

September 27, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  72. the harmon brothers

nice umbrella

September 25, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Religious Pumpkin

hey...u there?

September 25, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  74. step up

rose man...i'm here when u are.

September 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  75. thats what you get...

for the hokey pokey from 330-500pm

September 25, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  76. step up

rose man...

September 25, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  77. What

I want to see the mother, but at the same time I love the subplots of the show. Its always a good laugh in my eyes.

September 25, 2012 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  78. same scripts same cryouts...

nobody cares...

September 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

Stop watching then. Also, stop reading articles about it. At the very least, stop commenting.

September 28, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  79. smartone

it is the mother at the train station

if you have been watching the show
    1. She has the yellow umbrella that she lost in a club – that Ted found and then ended up leaving at the Mothers apartment
    when he was gonig out with her roommate.

2. She plays bass in a band

3. they meet at barney's wedding

September 25, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • five finger death punch

I very rarely watch the show. I may have watched 20 altogether since it came on. I don't know why bc it's an okay show compared to what's out there now. Anywho...I do remember seeing the first time they showed the girl with the yellow umbrella. Don't know if they showed her anymore.

September 25, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • five finger death punch

Sorry..from your comment they did.lol

September 25, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danielle

Totally.
      I think the mom was maybe playing the the band at the wedding and he didn't meet her "during" the wedding, but in meeting her on the rrain platform, it stays true to him "meeting her at a wedding".
      but there are a few things:
      1) in the future kid's drawings, they draw pictures of their Aunt Robin taking them everywhere..
      So where is Barney? Did he die early? Did Robin and Barney eventually divorce and remain friends..?
      2) Also when Klaus talks about true love destiny he says it doesn't happen over time (like RObin and Barney) it's just something you feel straight away (like when Ted and Robin met).
      3) When Robin tells ted she doesn't love him, and Marshall comes and tells her he's at peace with it, Robin's reaction isn't of relief, it's very dubious.

Here's what I think .
      I think Robin loves Ted, but she knows she can't have childen, and she loves ted so much that she tells him no, in order to release him once and for all so he can be open to finding the the woman he will marry and have kids with.
      Maybe she dies, maybe she divorces him, but somehow they don't end up together (or she would be taking those kids to the zoo and Ted would be saying Mom now always does this and that – instead he always refers to aunt RObin, Uncle Marshall, Uncle Barney, Aunt Lilly in the "present tense").
      I don't understnad why everyone is so much for Barney and RObin (they were not together for long and brought out the worst in each other becays they were too alike. Ted and Robin were together for more than a year and had a much more profound relationship where they both grew.. only that the timing wasn't right, and Robin can't have children- something that ted wants...

So somehow I hope that Ted and Robin end up together.. I think it's pretty clear that she is his treasure destiny fate etc..

October 7, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  80. nobody

cares

September 25, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Kosta B

im with you tracie, i'd eat her brown cheerio

September 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Paulette Jackson

at least its not the same boring pattern.

September 25, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  83. tracie

I don't know about all that but I bet she likes to eat stinky brown pickles

September 25, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  84. at

least its not the same boring pattern.

September 25, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  85. tracie

Shut up Wendy

September 25, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Wow

really tracie? this is how you spend your time. your responses are useless and annoying.

September 25, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Francine

Stopped watching it 2 years ago as it got boring.

September 25, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Possibility

she might like the butt.

September 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  89. tracie

She can sit on my face I like the smell

September 25, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  90. tracie

I am very interested in knowing more about this lady mom. Does anybody happen to know if she like it up the buttt?

September 25, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Lonnie

I've heard this will be the last season and that's okay because it's getting old. Ted has been with half of NY. If he doesn't find her soon he might get an STD that he can't get rid of.

September 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  92. tracie

Is she a hot mom? I would eat out her buttt h OLE.

September 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |