Emmys 2012: What's the verdict?
September 24th, 2012

Emmys 2012: What's the verdict?

The reaction to the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards has to be split into three categories: The fashion; the entertainment factor, which often rests on the shoulders of the host; and whether those who deserved to win did.

On the fashion end of things, everyone's still salivating over Sofia Vergara's dress, and as far as entertainment value, the 64th Primetime Emmys wasn't half-bad with Jimmy Kimmel as host. Sure, it wasn't the best awards show we've ever seen - Kimmel's routine, we thought, was uneven - but it did end on time (few winners were allowed to stay on the stage long before the music started up).

The awards? That's a different story.

The Atlantic's Kevin Fallon felt that Jon Stewart - the resident provider of the evening's f-bomb - summed up the awards ceremony when he noted in his acceptance speech for outstanding variety program how predictable the Emmys have become.

"Modern Family" still wins the comedy awards, Claire Danes is still a favorite, and so are "The Amazing Race" and "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart."

"As entertainment, this year's Emmy Awards telecast was quite good ... But as an awards show, this year's Emmy Awards was unforgivably boring," Fallon said. "Did you miss this year's telecast? If you watched last year's, there's no need to feel bad. You've already seen Sunday night's ceremony."

For The Los Angeles Times, "the show was flavored with a taste of deja vu."

But both Entertainment Weekly's Ken Tucker and The Washington Post's Lisa de Moraes found a few fresh things.

From Kimmel's opening segment, de Moraes said, to Jon Cryer's win in the lead comedy actor category, "Sunday's Emmyscast was, in fact, loaded with surprises."

Who saw "Homeland" sneaking up to grab the outstanding drama title from "Mad Men," de Moraes continued, or "thought Damian Lewis would prove Bryan Cranston’s Kryptonite?"

EW's Tucker found, with the biggest surprise for him being the "near shutout of 'Downton Abbey,'" that "all in all, it was a nicely lurching, damnably unpredictable Emmy Awards show, good for viewing if quite decimating for my predictions."

For the naysayers still confused over how the same names win year after year after year, USA Today's Robert Bianco counters that repetitive doesn't mean unearned.

"Yes, many of the wins were predictable - 'Modern Family,' 'Homeland,' Damian Lewis, Claire Danes, Maggie Smith, Julie Bowen, 'The Amazing Race' and Louis C.K. among them - but they were predictable precisely because they were so well-deserved," Bianco asserts. "What, should the voters pick lesser winners just so we'd be surprised?"

As for Kimmel, Bianco wasn't as satisfied, saying that while the "Jimmy Kimmel Live" host is a funny guy "in the right time and place," the 64th Primetime Emmys wasn't it.

What'd you think of the ceremony, and what's your verdict on Jimmy Kimmel as Emmys host?

Filed under: Awards Season • Emmys • television

1. ssorry...

who is this guy again.

September 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  2. jimmyss

my kinda guy

September 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lynne GEORGIA

About 3 years ago Jimmy FALLON hosted a great and very entertaining Emmy show. Fantastic. This one with Kimmel was boring...and not funny skits at all.. Beginning bathroom thing was so STUPID....memorializing HIMSELF was ...stupid and self- centric for sure....dragging his parents off..that skit...come on...were these all JIMMY K'S ideas ??
    As for the awards...I am a fan of Breaking Bad and Homeland and Mad Men...
    I also wish the producers would allow a few more seconds for the THANK YOUS.

BRING JIMMY FALLON BACK PLEASE.

September 26, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. snow

Poor Jimmy K tried his best to bring some kind of laughter, but the audience was a cast of deadbeats, except for Ricky Gervais and Louis CK who tried to trigger some kind of fun. It was 3 hours of almost wrist slicing tragedy. How can they produce this kind of torment. I watched only up to the real "In Memoriam" segment (which of course they missed a special mention to Robin Gibb) and turned to another channel. The Golden Globes are far better to watch (as long as Ricky Gervais keeps hosting)..

September 26, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. how do we think...

jimmy looks in the buff...just curious...

September 25, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. hippoincharge

September 25, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jimmy's Performance

September 25, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. NOBODY

CARES

September 25, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bob Schwab

Reading these comments proves to me that there is justice in the world.

The very real lack of talent of some when they get to
    display their " talent ", the oversite of rewarding those
    with real talent maybe because they don't have a Gay agenda,
    a political ax to grind or they didn't curse enough during the
    year to qualify as being cutting edge.

What happened to " entertainment ' ? I guess you have to be
    an " oldie " to remember when entertainers actually knew how to entertain.

September 25, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. didn't we talk about this yesterday?

the EMMYS IS RACIST as the OSCARS & GOLDEN GLOVE ARE..

September 25, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MajeztyRene

Idris Elba should have won for Luther ! That show was GREAT ! I also became addicted to Mad Men and felt they should not have been shut out. And no, I have never and probably won't watch those other shows that won. Maybe in a few years when they make it to Netflix.

September 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. the EMMYS IS RACIST as the OSCARS & GOLDEN GLOVE ARE..

Mostly white men and women were the nominees, the presenters, the shows. Watching these shows is like we are going back to the 50's were on tv was only white people. Our Black and Latino actors are more beautiful and talented than mostly the ones who were nominated or won but they were ignored. If you watch the new Fall shows 99.9999% are whites.

September 25, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  13. nobody cares

about cat deeley

September 25, 2012 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. Name*Pink

i thought he was great–changed my mind.

September 25, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. Marita

Jimmy Kimmel's humor was often in bad taste.

September 25, 2012 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. Keith

It was great to see Cat Deeley..at the Emmys!!!!!!!

September 25, 2012 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  17. Joe

Does anyone know the song that played as background when they were showing several clips some time during the last half, the lyrics were:

" YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT" this song was hot and I can't find it. HELP!!

September 24, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. janine

all the same stuff

September 24, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  19. shut all phones down girls..

its an idiot...

September 24, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Adrienne Anderson: I believe that Jimmy Kimmell was the worst host ever. He was rude and dull and his "jokes" were flat. Please, he is very over rated.

I believer that Jimmy Kimmell was the worst host ever for the Emmys. He was rudeciaooye to the actors that were nominated especially after he lost the night time host, and his "jokes" went flat to the audience and to me also as a viewer. He has no repore with his audience and he acted as if he was on some sort or medication to keep him quiet and dull.

September 24, 2012 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. randall g gerber

i watched it.like every year don't get it.terrible host,unfunny practical joke,same people and tv shows winning awards(except damian lewis,tom berenger and kevin costner) every year.the television academy needs to clean up it's mess or no one will watch .

September 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Mordecai & Rigby

Yeeeaaaauhhhh!!!! The only Emmy result that matters is the fact that Regular Show picked up a first time award. Hmmm hmmm hmm!!!!

September 24, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  23. chrisanthemum7

I just learned about the winners today and I'm glad I didn't watch. It would pain me to see Mad Men and Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey snubbed for show that I've absolutely, positively, NEVER heard of until today. Homeland??? I know I don't get Showtime but I've heard of Nurse Jackie and The Big C or whatever. It's like when there's too many good choices to pick from so they just pick the sh**ty one. But from what I understand the show is good? I don't know. Perhaps it's strategic on their part so that when Breaking Bad and Mad Men are in their last seasons, they won't have an even worse upset on their hands.

September 24, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Matthew

We tuned in and out of it - mostly out of it. I thought it was boring and tacky, particularly when that one guy was asked to lie on the stage, which upstaged the presenters and winners. It was thoughtless to spoof the "In Memoriam" with Kimmel being spotlighted. I really tuned out then, missing the real "In Memoriam" and the tribute to Andy Griffith... Aside from "Mad Men," I don't watch much TV these days - I find the acting in general rather lousy. I haven't even watched a sitcom since "Frasier" left the air. I came of age when Mary Tyler Moore and Carol Burnett were the big names on TV. I long for those days.

September 24, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Angelita

After 10 minutes, I had to change channels. A whole lot of stupid people, stupid jokes, stupid everything.

September 24, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Denise

Boring overall. Kimmell was Kimmell, so neither great nor horrible, but not worth having back to host. Disappointed Steve Bescemi didn't take the acting award – very underrated actor; same for Don Cheadle – a largely ignored talent. Modern Family is still great to me and my family, so award them all you want. Overall Rating: So So.

September 24, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  27. jody

The biggest snub of the night was the lack of "minorities" at these award ceremonies. By looking at the crowd, you wouldn't ever think the country was becoming more diverse. It was nothing but white faces and the same ole white faces at that. I remember "The Wire" being totally shut out each year it was on. It appears nothing has changed. No wonder BET have their own awards show.

I watched the first hour and Jimmy Kimmel was awful. The bathroom scene was not funny at all and I thought blowing up "Barney Fife" was very distasteful. I turned off the TV because the show was so boring.

I thought some of the women were going to have a wardrope malfunction. Too many boobs sticking out. Why not show some of the men bulging from their pants??

I stopped watching the Emmys ever since "The Sopranos" went off the air. I'll just stick to old reruns of the TV shows of the '70s.

September 24, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  28. David

I found Kimmel bouncing between bland and tacky – especailly his in Memorium gag.

I watch a lot of TV and found the show very boring – the same few shows scooped up most of the awards. Most of my faves: Big Bang Theory, The Good Wife, Castle, The Mentalist, NCIS, Blue Bloods, etc got nothing. Downton Abbey got 1 award. I may give up on this awards show. The Tony's and Academy Awatds are far more entertaininig.

September 24, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emma

Too true! All those shows deserved awards...
      And what about Sherlock? I just am waiting for The Hobbit movies to come out so Martin and Ben can win some Oscars.
      But, whatever. The won BAFTAS.

September 25, 2012 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  29. Where were the Minority actors.. only Whites in the show..

Talking about being very exclusive, they should call the show THE EMMYS FOR WHITES ONLY. This is just an example of the Hollywood shows, same as THE OSCARS, THE GOLDEN GLOVE. etc.

September 24, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  30. SOFIA VERGARA, the worse actress,ever,fat and annoying.

I wonder with how many men she had to be in Hollywood, this woman is a bad actress and looks to fat and her English is terrible , I can hardly understand when she talks. Very annoying.

September 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  31. kj

BAD! worst one I've seen. The host will always make the show, this one DIDN'T.

September 24, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  32. boxed in?

bad show all the way around...

September 24, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Hal

This was the most BORING awards show I have ever watched, I will be sure not to watch next year.
    The award winners were ok, I will be sure not to watch next year

September 24, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  34. greeneyedirishlass

I wasn't impressed at all. I hated the schtick with Tracy Morgan, HATED it! They try to cram in too much junk and choose to cut off acceptance speeches in a very tacky way. I didn't find Kimmell funny at all either.

September 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  35. SnappinTurtle

I thought it was awful; the jokes were stiff and forced. It reminded me of why I stopped watching comedies in general. Granted it is the first time I have watched the Emmys since I was a teenager, so maybe it is this bad every years. I was hoping to see some DA wins; especially Mr. Bates (Coyle), Anna (Froggat), writing or something.so I gave in and watched.

September 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Meh

Sofia Vergara must have blown every producer in America...not saying its a bad thing

September 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Alex

Perhaps they need to add an award for "Most Boring Awards Show," as the Emmy's would win each and every time.

September 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ker

Jimmy Kimmel was exactly like he is on his show – which is why i don't bother to watch him at 12:05 a.m. (he did announce recently he is moving to 11:35 pm, idk what is happening to Nightline, but i would rather watch it than him). Kimmel is so politically correct and boring, it is amazing that he has not been asked to run for president – of NBC. he has never been edgy, he has never been all that witty, he isn't brash like Conan, sharp like Letterman, or funny like Leno. he is middle of the road. doesnt' have the acting chops of Billy Crystal or Alec Baldwin - he is just bland. we got bland. if anyone was surprised, they never saw Kimmel before. heck, they had to bring out Ron Howard to introduce the In Memoriam because no one, not even Emmy producers, could imagine Kimmel being taken seriously, especially after spoofing that segment as one of the few funny things he did all night. the fact that designers and stylists have stopped making huge mistakes on fashions has made that aspect boring – but sorry Lucy Liu, your suit of armor was UGLY. how about a shout-out to Kimmel looking a lot sharper than Costner, though. my favorite laugh of the entire night was the short film about the new Lily on Modern Family and what a little prima dona she is, and Kim Jeong replacing her. that was hilarious and had nothing to do with Kimmel.

September 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • robotchimp

"funny like leno" ? Oh, you must mean Maurice Leno of Toledo, Ohio.

September 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  39. palintwit

If the toothbrush had been invented in the north rather than the south it would have been called a teethbrush.

September 24, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. zp

The GOP campaign people who wrote the book that the film was based on are the same ones who ran a horrible campaign for John McCain. They're untalented cowards who used Sarah Palin as their scapegoat. They are not considered authorities on this subject. And Tom Hanks deliberately produced this piece of trash just to smear her – wow.

September 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • palintwit

Sarah Palin is filth. She is fecal matter. You need to be able to accept that before you can move on with your life.

September 24, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Yeah, blame everyone but Sarah Palin! Glad McCrypt lost. Whew! We dodged a bullet for sure.

September 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. award_watch

I agree with this review in that fashion and the show weren't all that bad. The fashion was blah but not horrific, the show with Jimmy as the host was blah but not horrific, but the awards were horrific in my opinion. Homeland, Modern Family, and Louis C.K. taking it all home?????? Really??? Homeland was never the talk around the water cooler and Modern Family is no longer a funny relevant show. Don't even start about Louis C.K., I laughed at that comedy what 5 years ago? These awards were completely mis-placed and I hate that you practically have to be Jewish or Gay to get an Emmy these days. I think a few people actually made note of this during the show lol. There is some serious funny business happening behind the scenes with the voting for this show when practically the entire Modern Family cast gets nominated.

September 24, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  42. DAN

I do not watch anymore since no one wins unless they have a program that tries to convince the public that gay and lesbians are the perferred lifestyle of the majority of the public which may be the norm in Hollywood but is far from the norm anywhere except for in California.

September 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  43. bored already

Dude, it's Jimmy Kimmel. Like you expect much with him? The bar was lowered when Jimmy Fallon got a show, and ABC thinks that "Dancing with the stars" is good programming. Do he math.

September 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  44. the segment

was in poor taste.

September 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Ted

What about NCIS? Good scripts, excellent ensemble cast, quality production...but never nominated for an emmy...what's that all about? Do the emmy's have a bias toward cable networks such as HBO and Showtime? It sure looks like it.

September 24, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dennis

please no Emmy for NCIS it would mean it had slipped to a mediocre, boring show!

September 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  46. mandfkiwsa

The verdict about the Emmys, or any awards show?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

September 24, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Chris

My wife was bored and I was working on the computer, so she put it on. It was kinda bad. Each presenter's jokes were pretty forced and the only running gag that was funny at all was the Kimmel vs Stewart bits because Jon's won so many of those awards. I will say that from what I saw, I was really surprised that they were not pushing the liberal/obama key during the show. Other than one or two quips about Sarah Palin and a small joke about republicans, they pretty much left politics out of the show.

September 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  48. pauleky

Gotta love the horse's patootes that come in here only to comment on how boring or unnecessary the Emmys are. Really? If you truly felt that way, you'd not bother to come in here and announce it to the world. Don't like the Emmys or award shows? Then simply tune out and go on about your business.

September 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Who Watches?

Anyone tired of watching Hollywood pat themselves on the back with an award show a month?

September 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Um, no – because I don't watch them. Perhaps you shouldn't either intead of whining about it?

September 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  50. emmy?

is a really bad performance all the time.

September 24, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Phattee

These exercises in self-congratulation, which ignore the armies of artists, programmers, and technicians who work behind the scenes, are the height of ridiculousness.

September 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  52. jenna

give kimmell a try

September 24, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  53. noattention

sorry.

September 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  54. LinSea

Does anyone know why Heidi Klum thought it would be a good idea to wear one of Lynda Carter's costumes from the old 'Wonder Woman' show? I could swear I remember seeing Lynda wearing the same dress on Paradise Island...

September 24, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  55. MyMotoMike

I liked a lot of the show and the presenters and even some of the skits; Kimmel is an experienced host but his stuff wasn't funny. As soon as others came on stage it was usually worth watching.

September 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  56. oudeis

Some shows are actually very good and interesting, I realize this is a huge business in America, so I understand it is a big deal...nevertheless these actors should have some sense of proportions here... The reactions they have when they get one of these awards! Goodness... it looks like each of them just found the cure of cancer+aids+alzheimer, defeated the world hunger, overcame climate change, put an end to worldwide wars, etc etc etc....Guys....it is just a movie, not even that..just tv!

September 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  57. sillycrysforhelp

well done show.

September 24, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  58. BetseyBess

BORING!

September 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  59. frank

So boring! Even in the beginning, the lame skit with Jimmy getting too much botox, set the stage for one of the worst Emmy shows. Half way through the show I changed the channel. Have not spoken to anyone who liked it.

September 24, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  60. AreYouSerious?

In a word, dreadful. Clare Danes' acting abilities are flatter and blander than cardboard. And most of the other winners were only because the Weinsteins either promoted or backed their productions. You want to talk about politics in entertainment, just try and talk smack about the Weinsteins.

September 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  61. St. Croix

you people watch way to much tv.

September 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  62. 1ofTheFallen

Fooollllish Liberals. These people are so uneducated and naive that they cannot even see that we will be the next Greece in a few more years. If Obama and his Hollywood rich liberal friends like Soros keep up the out of control governmeent spending on solicalist programs we will not have any programs in a few years beacause we will be broke just like Greece. Once we hit 23 Trillion in debt our goose will be cooked and our economy bankrupt.

September 24, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  63. St Gina

Modern Family totally deserved their award

September 24, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  64. CaraW

The only thing I like about Modern Family is the gay couple which is probably the reason it wins every year--because Hollywood wants to make the point that they love gays. It was not the "best" comedy nominated.

September 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  65. CLHahn

Jimmy Kimmel is the most boring person I've seen in a long time. Nothing was funny. Totally boring show. Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon could never get CLOSE to the caliber of late night that Johnny Carson offered. About the only one really worth watching and really funny anymore is Craig Ferguson. Leno can be funny but is the most predictable show on television....

Emmy's?? Why bother. If it is on network television, it sucks.

September 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • MarkH

Let me guess...You're old? "Damn new generation of hosts, they'll never compare to comedians of yester-years". Just admit that you're old and your tastes are no longer relevant as they're old like you, old man. Now go yell at the kids playing on your old lawn, oldie.

September 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

To be fair. Jimmy Fallon does suck.

September 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Siobhan

Jimmy Fallon's emmy hosting was good – Glee-like opening to "Born to Run", mimic singers during song presentations, etc

September 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  66. The Myth

ALL award shows are nothing more than an outlet for the egomaniacs and narcissists of the media world. For that alone it stinks.

September 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  67. ProgressiveVeteran

Kimmel's routine was flat-out boring as can be! Quickly bored with his routine, we tuned out after about 20 minutes. Get someone with a bit more talent!

September 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marlene Donahue

I agree. Opening bit was boring and not a bit funny. Had to turn it off after fifteen minutes. Checked back in later on and it was still awful with the little guy from Modern Family, whom I think is great on the show, but the writers didn't do him any favors. On all the award shows, they should give up on the supposedly funny interplay between presenters as well .... Just awful.

September 24, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Andrew

I thought it was great, I haven't watched the emmy's for years and I thought Kimmel was as funny as he could be in the role of host. "Being a Republican in Hollywood is like being a Chick-fil-a sandwich on the snack table at glee." HAH!

September 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  69. elltee

maybe they would not have to cut the speakers off in mid sentence to cut to a commercial if they did not waste so much TIME talking about their political agenda, I dont CARE about your politics, that is not why we watch you, we watch you to be entertained so entertain us and keep your hateful political commentaries on the inside where they belong

September 24, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lexi

Yep, I tuned out after Kimmels first Romney joke....cause God knows everyone in Hollywood is such a brain trust. If you are going to make political jokes, at least do it evenly across the board because if you don't, you're not funny, your just a mouth running.

September 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Ben

The only televised awards shows I like to watch are the Grammys and the Tonys. The Academy Awards are boring and restricted to (most of the time) movies that deal in serious human drama that are released late in the year so they are fresh in the minds of the academy voters and can still cash in at the box office after they win the Best Picture award. The Emmys are boring and predictable. Jon Stewart was correct in what he had to say after he won the award last night. The People's Choice Awards are ballot stuffing and if you agree to show up and pick up an award they will probably give you one. MTV lost it's credibility when they went from music to reality programs. The Golden Globes can be good if they have a good host. The Grammys and the Tonys tend to be the fun entertainning awards shows to watch.

September 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Canadannie

Why does any award show need a host at all? All you need is a voice-over saying, "And now to present Best Actor award....." It would speed things up and you wouldn't have to sit through all the inane comedy routines, or awful song presentations.

September 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Amber

This is why we don't have cable. It's all basically a colossal waste of time, money, and incredibly superficial and meaningless. That this is a front headline is pathetic. Not all of us are brain-washed by television (and the crappy culture it fosters)! Thank you.

September 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Well, Amber

Then exactly why are you here? This is an entertainment blog. If those shows don't entertain you, then you probably aren't mentally strong enough to handle our comments, either.

September 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emmy M

Amber, you don't have cable because you are cheap!

September 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Maureen

This was the most boring show I have ever seen – even the audience looked bored. Jimmy was not funny, especially the stupid skit about himself – I started channel surfing after that and finally turned my tv off. Today, I ordered the new DVD on Carol Burnett's old tv show to remind myself what is really funny.

September 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  74. ramble3144

Disgusting socialist agenda. Jon Stewart, Julliane Moore, Modern Family (wjhat an abomination), Homeland, etc.

September 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • palintwit

I think it's nice that your trailer park manager lets you play with his computer.

September 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gloriana

What can I say "modern family" is trash. I will boycott the media the best way I can.

September 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • sorrycrysforhelp

jimmy kimmell was funny

September 24, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  75. St Martin

the public voted for the winner. no indication of any racist behavior.

September 24, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Don

"The public voted for the winner"? What awards show is that? Emmys are voted on by people in the TV profession.

September 24, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Pathetic

To indicate how much I care about Hollywood – I haven't subscribed to "TV" in years, I laugh at every celebrity gossip mag I ever see at checkout, and what is the "Emmy's" everyone speaks of?

September 24, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  77. palintwit

It's a good thing Bristol Palin didn't host the show. Her buttplug would've slipped out like it did when she was on DWTS. Then the stagehand picked it up because he thought it was a chew toy.

September 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Cindy Skuce

Boring and not important. When they use these shows for political agendas, I change the channel.

September 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  79. buckfigben

I didn't even know it was on. So bummed out that I missed the nationally televised showcase of an entire industry made up of unoriginal thinkers patting themselves on the back for copying previous ideas. Maybe next year.

September 24, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  80. fashion

the gowns the women wore were exceptional this year. lots of color this year not the same boring black.

September 24, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  81. EMMYS = boring and racist

year after year, the same white people in hollywood embracing themselves for being pay millions and for doing stupid and boring shows. I do not watch neither of the shows so won, same old , same old every year. They would rather give an EMMY to a English boring men and women than to recognize the beautiful and talented Blacks and Latinos in this country. Talking about being RACISTS.

September 24, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lexi

Ummm. actually the blacks and latinos have their very OWN award shows which are non-inclusive of any white people, unlike the so called "white" shows you refer to which are all inclusive of all people of all races...so who's the racist now?

September 24, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred

@Lexi – why do you think they have their own shows??

September 24, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Chicago7

I didn't watch the show, but the fashions that I've been seeing in the media last night and today, OMG. The designers are really falling down on the job this year. I saw maybe five dresses that I thought weren't awful. The rest were unattractive and few were absolute howlers. I saw no stunners, not even on Nicole Kidman who never seems to make a misstep. And WHAT was that thing on Zosia Mamet??? If I were that designer I'd be drinking today. And hiding.

September 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  83. teddy

The worst part was all the cutting to commercials, not to mention the shutout of some of the best shows on tv.
    The Patriots vs Ravens was infintely more entertaining

September 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Christine

Started to watch it, after Kimmel's line about Mitt Romney and what Obama watches, or shouldn't watch, I tuned out. Bad enough that presenters and winners make political statements in a forum not meant for it that the host should do it as well. Most of the comedy, from the writers to the performers (most of them the same writers) and to shows that I can't or don't see because they are on channels I have to pay for, I do not find funny. And the shows that are on regular television have no value or sense. Why do reality shows get awards or guests on a show get one? Dresses, jokes, sketches, and comedy were terrible the whole show.

September 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Motionman

I guess the summer audio interns were kept on staff for the show. The volume levels were so brutal, especially at the start, that I almost turned off the show. The volume levels went from barely audible to extremely loud.

September 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Cindy

Award shows are a cheap way for the networks to advertise their programming. I haven't heard of half of these shows or the actors that are in them. The biggest joke is that they even get awards for doing what they already get paid millions for. If the police, firemen, military or just us working stiffs had an award show for doing our jobs, do you think celebrities would watch? They could care less, so why should we care which one of them walks off with a stupid trophy.

September 24, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  87. THE WINNERS: BOTOX AND FAKE SKIN CARROT COLOR TAN

it was the night of BOTOX AND CARROT SKIN COLOR, these women looked so terrible with their fake CARROT TAN skin color. they looked tired, ugly and old...

September 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • st martin

this is acting. this is business. this is not personal. most deserved their award.

September 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yeah

Kind of like Romney & his fake tan talking to the Latino group the other day. Did he actually think that he would fit in better with this group? Fake is still fake.

September 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  88. RA

These award shows have become so stupid. It's just an opportunity for all those giant egos to gather for a love fest for each other.

September 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Bev

Tina Fey does a far better imitation of Sarah Palin. that's all Moore's did, an imitation. Woody Harrelson was the only one who did real acting in the movie. The movie felt snarky and forced ... like it was a bunch of democrats imitating republicans. Oh wait, it WAS a bunch of dems imitating GOPs.

September 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • RA

I agree 100%. Julianne Moore was pathetic! Julia Louis-Dreyfus plays the same character over and over in everything she does. Elaine from Seinfeld is her only character.

September 24, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • ana

no wonder why you didnt like, duh.

September 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Did

either of you actually watch the movie? I think she did an excellent job portraying Palin, and according to Schmidt & Wallace, they did, too. They are republicans, and were part of the campaign. Who would know better than them?

September 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  90. It was boring and exclusive and racist...

a bunch of white people telling themselves how great they are...NOT!!!

September 24, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Doug

Boring!!!!
    Jimmy Kimmel wasn't funny – he must need an army of writers for his own show.
    What a waste of time!!!!

September 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  92. One Percenter

Only profession that pats themselves on their back for polluting society with crap. The vast majority of these people are losers living off the ignorance of their followers.

September 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • What!

Well, it sounds like you watched it. What does that say for you? You are supporting these so called polluters of America, too. They are actors, doing an acting job. If you don't like them, don't watch them. Apparently, there are millions who do watch, and appreciate the skills that they exhibit. Well, being a 1%'er, what do you need tv for anyway. You already live in a fantasy land anyway.

September 24, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • St. Lucia

Julianne was voted by the public and she won.

September 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Sara

WHO CARES!!!!!!

September 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  94. THIS SHOW WAS V FOR WHITES ONLY....

Where were the Blacks and Latinos, 99.9 % last night were all white women and men. I guess we do not exist in this country.

September 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • uysfl

i guess you never watched modern family eh?

September 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam Cohen

How about you add more to the post such as. Name a category where you felt a hispanic or black actor or actress should have been nominated or should have won and didn't so that you can start a constructive conversation versus using the assumed everyone's racist card.

September 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • St. Martin...

wrong...there was no indication of racism–

September 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jannerl

Blacks and Latinos have their own boring awards shows. I watched football last night. Haven't watched awards shows since it seems like they started doing one a month. You've seen one, you've seen 'em all...

September 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Pro

It was silly, stupid and poor taste.

September 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Carolina

emmy ratings went through the roof.

September 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  97. St. Gina

He just needed to speed it up...once he went for it...the audience responded quite well.

September 24, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  98. mike58

Didn't watch, don't care, just a bunch of rich people patting themselves on the back

September 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Rudiger

Who cares about the Emmy's. I'll watch tv shows, movies, etc, but I don't need to see Hollywood all pat themselves on the back for a job well done while playing make-believe.

September 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Rob

Watched the whole thing and Kimmel wasn't very good. Instead of putting time into bad jokes or skits, give that time to the winner's. Why does it have to have a comedic host anyway? I would rather have someone hosting that isn't trying to be the show. Maybe a Ryan Seacrest type that will just announce and not all the other crap!

September 24, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  101. St. Martin

a little slow but it didn't stink

September 24, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  102. HENRY

In just one two words it stunk

September 24, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Sonti

I was very disappointed with the fake "In Memoriam", and found it in very poor taste. I switched off after that and, subsequently, missed the real one. But, I was too disgusted to pay attention.

September 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jnc423

I whole heartedly agree with you The fake Memoriam was in very poor taste, Losing actors, actresses and or people behind the scenes (writers, Directors, etc) is a sad thing, Not something for a ego hungry bad comedian to try to get a laugh out of. The people in the audience were half heartedly clapping during the sigment due to their uneasiness . He was not funny last night nor in his regular show.

September 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Yeah

Northern Exposure should have won something.

September 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Jill

Jimmy had too much makeup on. It made him look like a foreigner.

September 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  106. st. martin

you want to be sharked?

September 24, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  107. pov

In many ways the Emmy's do accurately reflect the state of TV – the same old, tired concepts are repeated ad nauseum.They just get coated with a superficial sheen of change.

BTW TV was not "invented in the USA" as Kimmell claimed.

September 24, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  108. pov

In many ways the Emmy's do accurately TV – the same old, tired concepts are repeated ad nauseum.They just get coated with a superficial sheen of change.

September 24, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  109. LucyRicardo

Kimmel was just awful - very boring. Nothing funny about him at all.

September 24, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  110. palintwit

If I were Sarah Palin I'd drive over to Sea World and jump into the shark tank.

September 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chicago

Ha..ha...ha...OMG, I am laughing so hard. That's almost as funny as one of Kimmel's jokes last night. You should get a job as a comedian. If you can find any jobs, there are none right now.

September 24, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Tom P

The jokes were VERY lame. I was a huge disappointment.

September 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Mel

Those "godless liberals" he mentioned, need to remember they're alive because GOD created them.

September 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boo

PROVE IT!!

September 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Mel

You are right. There is not one liberal in this country that believes in God. If you believe that, I have some swamp land for sale in Nebraska just for you. What a totally idiotic statement! But again I say, you are part of the holier than thou party, and nothing that comes from your mouths surprises me anymore. You always jump on the God bandwagon, but you certainly don't sound like you follow his preachings.

September 24, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • @@Mel

Very good point. I've thought that myself on more than 100 occasions.

September 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Wrong!

September 24, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • cj

It was a joke , not to be taken literally !!!!

September 24, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  113. pov

" but they were predictable precisely because they were so well-deserved,"

What's amazing is that there are still people who believe cliches like that.

September 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • chrys

What Happened to all the (what) 82 nominations for HBO? I NEVER watch ANY of the shows that won. Where was "The Borgias" and the all consuming "Game of Thrones" and the new HBO show The Newsroom" one of the best, fast paced, intelligent shows on tv I was totally disgusted with all the winners!

September 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  114. buzzlightyear

The award is being on TV.... now that they made it to TV, TV academy gives them tropheys LOL

September 24, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Bob Lewis

the award nominees: Just call them "the usual suspects." Boring, predictable winners. Jon Cryer award exceptionally unforgivable due to his over the top character rehash.

September 24, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Emmys--

show was well done, jokes were a little boring, it was its usual glamour and most of the voting was fair

September 24, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  117. 1termlimits

Who give's a Rats Azz on what award these over paid, over glorified people won! They are in my eye's worse than lawyers! $50K per episode at the least, give me a break. I can get more entertainment reading CNN headlines!!!

September 24, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  118. zp

The show itself stunk! The host was boring, the jokes were stupid and not funny, and the skits were in bad taste and also not funny. Who writes these shows and how do they have jobs??

September 24, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  119. methinkthis

I doubt I will ever tune in another Emmy's show

September 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  120. methinkthis

watched part, then went to movie. Emmys had poor humor, awards went as expected to those who most challenge cultural norms or portray the evil society. At least with ACM/Oscars/Tonys you get some entertainment

September 24, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Brian Mouland

Ms.Moore, you suck!

September 24, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Why?

Because she portrayed one of the stupidest women of all times, and did it masterfully? Do you have a crush on Palin? Doesn't say much for you, does it?

September 24, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • zp

I agree, Brian – she insulted the woman she played while accepting her award ! She wouldn't have even had that role if Sarah Palin didn't exist. And she could never be as pretty or vibrant. Can't believe that movie won so many awards – had to be because Tom Hanks was behind it – couldn't have been the quality of the film.

September 24, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • the public voted for julianne...

she won.

September 24, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Julianne Moore: Yawn. Get off your soap box. NOBODY is listening. Shut up, take your kudos award, and exit stage left.

September 24, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • @zp

Did you watch the movie? According to a lot of the gop folks who were actually involved in the campaign, they said it was factual. It's nobody's fault that Palin was dumb as a rock. I did not watch the Emmys, but according to the clip, all she said was that she felt validated, because Palin gave her the thumbs down. I see nothing wrong with that comment. If she said more, that I don't know. I will do more research on that one, but regardless, she was playing a character. Not her fault the character she was portraying was such an unqualified mess. Now, go back to your Sarah Palin poster, and give her a big kiss.

September 24, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • lexi

Plus, she looked like a banana in that dress.

September 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • five finger death punch

@why.lol

September 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  122. NC

reading tweets now-good point

September 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  123. St. Martin

what do you know about infrastructure...just curious.

September 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  124. brianbice

http://l4f.co/go/emmys-top10-tweets , What did twitter have to say about the 2012 Emmy awards? Take a look at some of the most popular tweets from last night's ceremony.

September 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Blue

DIdn't watch it. As long as actors try to force-feed the public on politics – of which they know very little – I won't be tuning in. They obviously know very little, since they just spout rhetoric and 1-liners, same as their puppet masters. If they were to look at actual things that matter, and the measures behind them, such as jobs, infrastructure, and our nation's performance trends (downward) on things like Research, Technology, Production ... they wouldn't spout the nonsense that they do. After all, in the face of fact and understanding same facts, how could they go on saying the stupid things they do?

September 24, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • @Blue

You're right. Damn those republicans!

September 24, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian Mouland

Seems this boring partisanship seems to be read off a script and sounds so pre-planned

September 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • @ @

Typical, talk about trends, measures and facts, and some partisan, uninformed liberal responds with vapor and 1-liners. Drink more of the Koolaid.

September 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • you comment is too general

and makes no sense...can you clarify

September 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Keith

I didn't watch it. It was still the best one I've ever seen. Jimmy Kimmell was funny. I was kind of disappointed Northern Exposure and Newhart (with Mary Fran) didn't win, but overall it was an entertaining show.

September 24, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |