Jimmy Fallon takes on Romney's '47 percent'
September 19th, 2012

Jimmy Fallon takes on Romney's '47 percent'

Mitt Romney had the notable quotable of the day on Tuesday thanks to his remark about the "47 percent" of Americans "who are dependent on the government" who he says will staunchly support President Obama's re-election campaign, and Jimmy Fallon couldn't resist joining the conversation.

In a spoof on "Late Night," Fallon did his best Romney impression at a news conference, saying that he wanted to discuss the remarks that had stirred controversy  - something "to the effect of me not caring about 47 percent of the country because they're all basically freeloaders sucking off the teat of the rich."

Punchline?

"I know what you're thinking: Teat of the rich? Let's leave Kate Middleton out of this."

But while Fallon's Romney says, "perhaps I made a little 'honey boo boo,'"  the actual Republican presidential candidate has said that his comments reflect his campaign's message.

We think the skit is worth watching for his take on what a Romney laugh would sound like alone. What do you think?

Filed under: Celebrities • Late Night comedy • television

1. Becki Tomasino

Manufacturing takes turns under all types of economic systems. In a free market economy, manufacturing is usually directed toward the mass production of products for sale to consumers at a profit. In a collectivist economy, manufacturing is more frequently directed by the state to supply a centrally planned economy. In mixed market economies, manufacturing occurs under some degree of government regulation.^–"

Please do check into our internet site
    <http://healthmedicine101.com/

June 3, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. G Willikers

All we see from the media now is lies and skewed data; Romney will win in a landslide because Obama failed America in nearly every way possible. Why isn't Fallon laughing about how Obama increased Poverty, or added 15 Million Americans to the food stamp roles, or failed to lower unemployment for over 40 months? Is it also a Joke that Hispanics and Blacks are suffering a higher unemployment rate than everyone else? Maybe Fallon thinks it's funny that the Middle class has seen a 10% decrease in their average wage under Obama? Or that the average Middle Class Family lost 35% of their wealth so far under Obama? C'mon Fallon; laugh it up!

October 3, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. Frank

People of the United States of America,
    If President Obama does have a solid 47% Democratic Base, the how is Romney wrong in what he said?

September 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken Margo

Mutt Romney is wrong on so many levels. There are plenty of republicans that receive help from the gov't. Are they lazy too? The oil industry gets subsidies from the taxpayers, are they lazy? Here's a man that won't prove he paid taxes, yet criticizes 47% for not paying theirs. How phony can you get?

October 2, 2012 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miffed Wrongney

Well, idiot, let me explain. Obama's supporters are first of all in no way the majority of people that do not pay taxes. I'm a prime example, typically paying a minimum of $150K per year in taxes. And there are many many more just like me who pay as much or considerably more. Here's a simple equation to get you through the day :

Republicans = stupid

Liberals and Independents = smart

Have a lovely next four plus years.

October 3, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  4. expected

jimmy fallon is too much

September 20, 2012 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. Leave that home...

ugh

September 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jose

jimmy's gotta come with us one night...he needs another atmosphere.

September 19, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jose

annnnnnnnnnd....who gives a sh-t

September 19, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. oh man...

jimmy fallon needs a "vacation" ..

September 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. he needs a real relaxation...

this is a joke

September 19, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. How ridiculous

the cnn audience is reading right now............haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

September 19, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nimrod...

we read this online–it was just cut and pasted in....jerk

September 19, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sokman

Hahahaha if I were part of the 1%, I'm sure I would have better things to do than comment on this carppy blog. I'm just a guy that sees more & more people becoming dependant on the Government, many because it is easier than working. Liberals are essentially "enablers" by encouraging this instead of providing incentives to get off your lazy @ss & get a job. besides, if you go to work 5 days a week & blah blah blah (amazing how having a job these days makes for bragging rights) I am obviously not referring to you.

September 19, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • But

That's the point. Middle class people do pay lots of taxes. We are part of that 47% that they are talking about. Too bad my millionaire boss doesn't give me a big fat raise. I'd love to have more income, and help my country out by paying a little more in taxes. The sad thing, he's always talking about poor him, while I lost my retirement benefit, and haven't had a raise in 8 years. And on top of that, he actually thinks I should feel sorry for him!

September 19, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • yeppers

Yep,.and I think Obama has some nerve trying to show pics of working people and vets, and trying to say THAT is who the 47% is....WRONG! He knows, as well as most of us hard working middle class folks, WHO that 47% is.......My taxes have been supporting them for years!

October 3, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  13. Yeah, me too

Yeah, what 4:28 pm said. I'm sick of the GOP acting like the middle class does nothing. You know, if I made millions, I'd be perfectly happy paying more in taxes to give back to the country that helped me achieve my way of life. But if Romney is president, the middle class will be paying more in taxes, and the rich will get more tax cuts. They said on the news last week, if Romney was president & pushed through his tax plan, that Adelson (the casino guy who said he'd put 400 million into the superpacs to get Romney elected), would get over a billion in tax savings. Sounds like a good payoff for him! No wonder the rich are pumping so much money into the gop superpacs.

September 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • idocracy

Maybe you don't quite understand "Yeah, Me too" but the "rich" already pay more taxes, actually 1% of the population pays over 99% of taxes, so how does that fall into your little equation? It doesn't because you as well as every other liberal moron are uninformed leeches that enjoy just sitting back and watching as everyone else pays for them to live. My true question is how can you be offended when he is not even talking about you, for example @sokman (4:28) how on earth can you sit there and say that he was bashing you and say that you despise who he is because he said that you are a giant government sucking leech when the fact is that you are not, you pay your taxes and do not rely on the government he is talking about people who abuse the system like drug addicts who use an entire unemployment or welfare check to buy drugs. Or any other people who skirt the system and use it as it was not meant to be used. So please go crawl back in whatever hole you came out of and never vote, because it is because of morons like you that we are in the huge mess that we are currently in. So please go back to school, and maybe learn something about economics and learn the socialisim is not the answer to a utopian society as the current president believes it is. The fact of the matter is that in order to be successfull we need to actually pay taxes, every single able bodied American should be working and paying taxes. Not leeching as Mr. Romney was simply suggesting was a hurt on our failing economy.

September 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • idocracy

So I wanted to add a couple of things that I had forgetten to mention to you, the first is that it is actually not a good idea to tax the rich to feed the poor, as then it makes the rich want to move from our country, and spend less money so that they are taxed less and have more of their money. It's a psychological thing, people will spend their money if they believe that they are getting a better deal. The fact of the matter is that peole like Adelson who you said was willing to fork over 400 million for support of the superpac, is very wealthy and very willing to spend his money. So the question is with a tax break in which he gains a billion, what will he do with it? Squander it and not spend a dime, I think not he is very likely to actually spend the entire thing, maybe growing his company, which would be an actual economic stimulus. That billion dollars that he did not pay in taxes would then in turn actually turn around and be a great thing for our economy, something would be created with it, and it would not be spent on drugs as many of the welfare and unemployment checks are. The entire idea behind the democratic party is filled with false pipe dreams of a utopian socialistic society in which everyone is equal and everyone has the same amount of income and everything else. How did that work our for Russia, or Cuba or any other communist, or socialist country, it did not there is wide spread famine and no one is happy. So please go crawl in a hole, and again do not vote until you are actually informed.

September 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • @idocracy

Well, I like millions of middle class people, I do pay my taxes. I, too, don't make a huge amount of money. Most people who are on assistance, would much rather have a good paying job, than to collect off the government. I know that is a good republican talking point, though. You are trying to lump people that do work, and those who don't, into the same class. You are the one with their head up their azz. I also find that extremely offensive. Look up the tax codes, moron. The middle class didn't create them, but we abide by them. I'd have to pull out the tax guides, but let's just say for the sake of argument, it's $40,000 per family. First off, you pay payroll taxes. Plus, property tax, sales tax, etc. as already stated. When you do your taxes, after your allowed deductions, if you are under the federal guideline, you get that back as a refund. You are not shurking your responsibilities. That's the way the tax code is set up. That is why 47% don't pay federal income tax. It's because the don't make enough money. Do you actually think that 47% of the population is unemployed? Now your next point, Adelson gets this huge tax break, I'm sure he'll invest in more overseas casinos, which doesn't do diddly damn to help out this country. Secondly, who said anybody dispised Sokman? That was just nonsense. If you harken back to the Clinton days, everybody paid higher taxes, and we had the best economic boom in years. So, why don't you go crawl into that hole of yours. I do know a thing or two. I know you think you're the smartest person on this blog, and must be a republican. They always think they are better than everybody else. Well, buddy, I hope you never lose your job, because I know you'll be the first one in line for assistance, cause Romney is not going to take care of you.

September 19, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • idocracy

I think the fact is that many people are forgetting what I had actually said in my previous statements, I said that 1% of the population pay 99% of the taxes, and I also believe that like every other liberal on the planet you are twisting what I said I never said that the middle class was dependent on the government I said that 47% of the population is dependent on the government as Mr. Romney did. Also to go along with your attempt to debunk me, why then would it be tried and true to ahve tax breaks, and economic booms? Look at Reganomics?? Ringing any bells, oh wait no it wouldnt becasue of the simple fact that you will only go far enough back to look at one little fluke that happened with Clinton. Why do we not have a booming economy right now? Oh wait let me answer for you and every other liberal out there. BUSH!!!!! You people truly are morons, thank you for supporting everything that I have thought in my life. And I actually do not think that I am the smartest person on this blog, I just think that I'm smarter then you. So again please go ahead and before you latch onto one sentence that I have typed, like BUSH, actually read my message and try to absorb the entire thing, that is actually what we were taught to do in grade school was use our reading comprehension skills, and not ignore the facts as you have all done, so please just re read my previous posts, and then try to actually say that you were right in what you typed, becasue as usual, in typical Bob Beckel style you have not actually listened to a damn word I have actually said.

September 19, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • So

You do realize that unemployment happens to both republicans & democrats, don't you? Do you actually think that just dems get assistance? How about all those seniors who have retired. They have no income. How about the handicapped? How about folks who are in nursing homes? How about our troops? These folks do not pay federal income tax, either. Have you not been reading the papers or news sources? How many republicans have backed away from Romney's statement? Plenty! Romney insulted millions of people, no matter how you slant it. I know you are from the holier than thou party. You republicans just can not do any wrong. You folks never take responsibility for anything. Yes, let's look at Reagan. He raised taxes 11 times. Trickle down economics has already proven not to work. You were right on one thing, Bush is the one who screwed this entire country up. Thanks for pointing that out.

September 19, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • TSB8C

And the Dem donors put their money onto super pacs for the same reason. The head guys at Solyndra donated millions in return for the tax payer bailout when they were in financial trouble. They cashed in and filed bankruptcy and lost nothing. It's the same on both sides. Large businesses make big donations to get political influence for their pet causes.

October 1, 2012 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
    • yeppers

Oh lets not forget how much taxes the 47% pay..............some actually MAKE money come tax time. Cry me a river

October 3, 2012 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. lets...

wear sweats and sneeks tonight...comfy...

September 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sokman

The truth hurts doesnt it America? Romney couldnt have been more right... er, correct. The majority of people on welfare are happy to be on it as opposed to getting a job. Why work when you can just pop out another dependant & get a bigger welfare check?

September 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Romney couldn't have been more wrong and he will pay dearly for being stupid. Veterans, seniors and disabled people are not moochers who don't want to work. Heck, if Romney is right, then he hates half his own party as well. And some rich folks are part of that 47% that Romney and the GOP despise so much. Romney is toast!

September 19, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • @sokman

I go to work 5 days a week. I pay payroll taxes. I pay all my property taxes. I pay sales tax, gas tax, state taxes, all the little hidden "fees" that they tack on to every day bills. Is it my fault that I don't make tons of money, so I can pay more tax to the Fed? For Romney to lump 47% of the population into one giant "takers" group is just plain insulting. Do you know that Romney said just last week, that the middle class makes $200,000 per year. The Middle class! I could only wish to make that much. He has no clue about the middle class, and never will. So Sokman, how much money do you make a year, because for you to say something that stupid, you must be quite wealthy. I might remind you that the middle class did not set up the tax structure. We pay what the IRS tells us to. If we get money back at the end of the year, we rejoice, pay some bills, maybe go out & stimulate the economy, or put a little aside for savings. Yes, there are a lot of folks on some sort of assistance right now. My question to all you religious folks, what would Jesus do? He'd take care of those who need help. Why are Republicans such a hateful group? Again, I'm one of the 47%. I am insulted by that & most of Romney's remarks. Oh & by the way, it came out today that Romney's dad was on assistance when he was young. I just saw a clip of his wife talking about it. So put that in your pipe & smoke it!

September 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • yawn

zzzzzzzzzz

September 19, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ruth

I worked for a company that Bain Capital bought, most of the manufacturing jobs were outsourced to Mexico and China. My husband and I trained a number of Mexico employees in the States and moved to Mexico for two years to train them. The company I worked for employed over 4000 people at one time, now it employees on around 500 in the States. Yes, some of the 3500 people may now be on welfare and most of them were hard working people who didn't have any college degrees and couldn't find another job that would enable them to support their family. This company is located in RI and in that state, there are hundreds of vacant manufacturing buildings, those jobs are now in China and Mexico. Yes, some of those people can get jobs at Walmart, McDonalds, etc but those jobs can't support their family.
      In order to find work, we moved to another state because my husband and I both have college degrees so we could find another job. Some people have no choice but to go on welfare when they hit hard times.
      It doesn't take a genius to figure out why our economy is bad and China's and India's are improving, the greedy American companies gave them the jobs that kept money in the pockets of Americans. Americans went out and spend that money, no money equals no spending. Unless, Obama has a magic wand and moves those millions of jobs back to States, there will be no improvement.

September 20, 2012 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

Romney lost my vote when the 47% comment was made public. I don't agree that I should get a $7,500 refund come tax time but it's not up to me. I work everyday and do the best I can, sure I cashed the check but I didn't ask for it to be that way.

October 16, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mara

that is so funny....doris has not had 1 in years either...tru dat...

September 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jose

The only way Romney can win is to smoke a joint on national TV.

September 19, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • G willikers

Too bad Obama has attacked the medical marijuana programs approved by voters and enacted by several states. He attacks Pots shops with a ferocity formerly unknown by a president. He said he smoked it himself; why does Obama hate pot? Medical Marijuana users will be voting for Romney; Obama has repeatedly attacked them and continually raids collectives and favors the illegal pot supplied by cartels instead.

October 3, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Marie

Even if he did smoke a joint on national T.V. I still wouldn't vote for him. I like weed and think it should be legal, but can't afford to smoke it because I am strapped for cash and like have a place to live and pay my bills and what not.

October 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |