'X Factor' premiere: What's the verdict?
September 13th, 2012

'X Factor' premiere: What's the verdict?

Save for a few standout performances (which you can view throughout this post) much of the talent on "The X Factor's" stage wasn't that remarkable.

But the talent at the judges' table? They gave us something to watch for.

"Spears was not that innocent, her low-cut red dress and cleavage-baring pink number aside," said USA Today. "After giving a nod of approval to 21-year-old Paige Thomas, she started denying contestants with grimaces and a dry delivery."

Oh, but she did, and we loved every minute. Behold the (edited) wonder:

MTV picked up on that as well, noting that Spears gave "a gallery of classic horrified/elated faces" while Demi Lovato offered viewers a "spoonful of sugar to Spears' sometimes acid edge."

Lest we forget, there were two other judges at the table, returning from season 1: Simon Cowell and L.A. Reid.

Entertainment Weekly was relieved that Reid knows how to keep his comments on the professional side, critiquing that the incessant camera cuts to an annoyingly cocky and sneering contestant, Kaci Newton, and the "hokey narratives" of some added up to the kind of "reality-TV drama that almost makes one appreciate the storytelling power of scripted junk like 'NCIS.'"

Cowell didn't help as he offered "canned-sounding put-downs," the sort that makes " 'X Factor,' like 'American Idol,' so dreary to watch. Thank goodness Reid keeps his comments mostly on-point and unexaggerated."

But maybe Cowell was just allowing Spears to "dominate the two hours," as People magazine suggests in its review. (Cowell did seem pleased as punch at Spears' unimpressed facial expressions.)

Her one dramatic moment, as compared to Lovato's connection with the emotional, bullied contestant Jillian Jensen toward the end ....

.... came when she met back up with Don Philip, a singer whom Spears recorded a duet with 10 years ago:

"This whole thing or may not have been a genuine surprise to her," People magazine mused, saying that "if it was, I don't know why the producers don't just come out with a frying pan and fling hot bacon grease at her – but her reactions were dignified and compassionate, even as Don went off sobbing."

Now the question is how these seeming roles - Demi as the sweet, young one; Britney as the megastar bringing entertainment with each displeased glance; Simon as the awkward dad-figure; and L.A. Reid as the one person who remembers that this is a singing competition to find a bankable star - will play out for the rest of the season. Will you stick around to find out?

While you mull that over, check out our other two favorite performances of the night:

Filed under: Fall TV 2012 • television • TV recaps • X Factor

1. Brian head of cnnS---bye dear.

June 30, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. PRINT AND FILE.--

June 30, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. YOU AND THE OTHER 2 STOOGES ARE HACKING HAS BEENS....WE ARE MOST HAPPY TOO MEET WITH THE HEAD OF CNN AND WHOEVER ELSE AND TELL THEM WHAT Y OU 3 DID....ITS NOT AN ISSUE HERE...K? NO GO COOK SUNDAY DINNER AND ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR AFTERNOON...

June 30, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tea is delicious--UNDER THE UNITED STATES LAW YOUR STILL NOT SUPPOSE TO HACK WHETHER I THINK HE'S HOT OR NOT....DOES NOD KNOW THE GAME? WE ARE MOST HAPPY TOO TELL HIM ALSO HOW THE HACKING WORLD WORKS...

June 30, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cheap Replica U-Boat Watches

I'm a little bit sleep-deprived after keeping track of the protesters last night, or perhaps I need tea, but I'm not entirely clear what mistake you're referring to. Best as I can tell in my groggy-need-tea state, it looks grammatically correct and there are no misspellings. Cheap Replica U-Boat Watches http://www.cheapwatchonline.com/brands/u-boat.html

June 30, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. john

This year I hate to say the X factor is a circus. It's all about marketing to the music industry. This is not sour apples but Jensen and Gutt should have been there. This is not about talent it's entertainment in its cheapest form. Give the fans some credit we know we all know it.

November 8, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mo

LA Reid is in the wrong place, he sounds like he really wants to find someone with talent and help someone start their career... I love him and when he's the only one that seems like they would help someone AFTER the show is over and he knows talent and what is good and what will be good and make good music! (I like Simon, however I think he just likes the ratings now)
    LA Reid should go to 'the voice' or just scout clubs and shows to find the real talent and put his work to good use, not sitting next to Britney Spears as a judge! I would feel beyond insulted if I were him!

September 19, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  8. Mo

I don't see any reason for Britney Spears to be on this show. Who is she to give anyone advice on SINGING!?! She can't sing! I think most people forget this show is about finding real people who can really sing. I honestly laughed when people came out and did things she can't do! .... like hold a note! she doesn't even look right up there at the judges table. She gives one or two word answers, 'definitely yes', no helpful words of advice.... she is in the wrong place! she's never been able to stand (sing) next to Christina Aguilera, she should just stop trying already.... Just because Christina can sing her ass off, and is a judge on another singing show, does not mean Britney Spears should try to compete, again...

September 19, 2012 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. Hier

It's really a cool and helpful piece of information. I am happy that you just shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

September 19, 2012 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
  10. Chaka(i)

simon is dangerous-if he wanted me i'd take the risk

September 16, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Up Ladies Up

brit and young women are finally listening to me...if you want your jugs to remain standing up by time your 48 you gotta wear the armor during work hours-the boyfriend won't care...he's working–he may be wondering what the hell your putting on every morning but in end he will be happy.

September 16, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. molly

i think it was like really wierd when britney said no to that guy she recorded with

September 15, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Danielle

i agree great show..simon is still the boss and wont put up with any nutjobs.

September 14, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. stephanie hooper

by 7.30 not one song. all sad stories. terrible show.

September 14, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. peacsktr

I saw it and it was great, will watch the whole season. Love Demi shes so sweet.

September 14, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Daniel

I actuallly really liked it. I also like Brittany. I watched this at work, amd maybe I am just tired and worn out, this show made me cry. I'm not ashamed to admit that.

September 14, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Simon will not put up with a nut job

simon in his 50's he's not going to put up with the nonsense and I'm sure the little lady co-stars are aware of it.

September 14, 2012 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  18. $100 bucs says...

same?

September 13, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Mike

I'm seeing a georgous dish around 10pm tonight...ha!

September 13, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Britney_Spears'Hair

I LOVE YOU BRITNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your beautiful and perfect and no one willl push you down!!!!!!!!!!!

Get this stupid druggie Demi Lovata OUTA here!!!!!!! She likes to cut her wrists!!!! I hope she dies,so I don't have to look at her stupid BUTT chin LOLOLOLOL

September 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thinks Youre Atard.

Wow. Someone packed a lunch full o' hate today. Demi is 10,000 times prettier than Britany. She's all washed-up looking. Just sayin'. Also, Demi is not a drughead. Get your facts straight before you bash the talent. K, thanks.

September 14, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  21. BostonSteve

How many of these singing, dancing, talent reality shows can one watch before putting a gun in your mouth ?

September 13, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • TV Cridict(Hint:I hate ALL TV)

People LOVE these shows.I have a neighbor who is totally obbsesed with American Idol.She watches all the episodes and always sees them when they tour.

People just love it.I undertand that iff you find something boring,and someone else loves it,its very difficult to wrap your head around.

But trust me,hundreds of thousands to a million people love these shows and will sit in front of their TV';s for hours and watch it.

September 13, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ruben

I think this show is not for all audiences. The serious type of person will find this show somewhat annoying. A person with a sense of humor will find the show very entertaining. I have a sense of humor, I don't like Britney as a singer, but I loved her facial expressions and I think she did great and she actually made me laugh. Demi Lovato might as well not have been there. I like Simon and I like Reid. Overall I thought the show was great!

September 13, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  23. WillnAtlanta

I watched the show and it was a hot mess. First of all, a judge should be someone with a storied record of success in the business, not a storied record of failure. And judges should be over 21 years of age, most Americans could not pick Demi Lovato out of a lineup, that's how new to the scene she is, so how can she judge, critique or advise others? I mean, she just found her way out of rehab. And Britney, po' ole thang can barely formulate a sentence, much less an idea. All of her responses were five words or less, please. Simon Cowell is reeling over the staggering failure that the American installment of the X-Factor franchise has been, and judging from what i saw last night, he will be reeling some more.

September 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • KKgood

What do mean over 21 shes 20 close enough and shes not new to the buissness shes been in the industry for nearly six years thats expirence there was no lineup shes is a fresh face and appeals to younger crowds and is also at the top of her game right now so no wonder she was chosen

September 14, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. LiLi

I don’t think this show is going to make it past this season if they don’t find a way to pick up viewers in a hurry. Unfortunately I don’t think adding an inexperienced judge (Demi Lovato), and a non-talent like Britney is going to save the ratings. My officemates at Dish were unimpressed with the contestants overall last night too. If they don’t have some better acts lined up I don’t know how this show is going to make it at all. I watched The Voice last night but I wanted to see how X Factor played out so I watched it on Prime Time Anytime this morning on my Hopper DVR. Poor L.A. Reid has a panel of fellow judges that are all head cases. If I were him I would get away from this show and never look back.

September 13, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Steve

The show was really great. It had everything you could want in it: laughter, comedians, drama, get to get a glimpse into some people's lives that we have known on the radio and tv for awhile and be entertained. This is the first time I ever watched the show and I enjoyed it alot.

It's entertainment folks. Get off the critical negativisms. The show was fun, comical and there were some really great singers (the ones that could sing). It's supposed to be dramatic. So why be so negative. These are people doing their thing to bring us some fun and entertainment. Yea it is planned, it is scripted but it is "Real". These are real experiences of people and they are wanting to bring us some feelings of goodness, laughter, and closeness and hear a few good singers trying to reach their stars. Why not just enjoy the show and leave it at that. Britney is a grown woman now. Give her a break. She is settled now and thank God she is still with us. Same with Debbie. Alll the folks have had and have challenges in their lives and they have struggles. Just because they have more money than us doesn't mean they don't have feelings and have to deal with everyday problems. They do.

September 13, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  26. DO NOT LIKE THIS SHOW AT ALL

Britney, Simon and Demi the 3 white trash in America. The show is worse than last year.

September 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Kathi

This is the first time I've watched X-Factor. I like Simon and Brittney's honesty.

September 13, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  28. steve

September 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  29. XFACTOR SHOW SUCKS!!

Nothing new this years, as any other show, I am tired of all this shows that have nothing intelligent to offer. a bunch of idiots including the judges who have no talent. By the way Britney S was very boring and looked tired and old. Simon , looks so ridiculous with his outfit. The whole show is terrible.

September 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  30. woodie

I find it comical that Britney is the biggest ticket for the last 20 years and all her haters read about her show and complain about her here. Who's the freak here? Ask yourself that.

September 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Rhubarb

Britney Spears, a person with very little talent, is now a judge on a show telling people who have even less talent than her that they suck.

This is why I no longer watch TV.

September 13, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  32. mommy2girls

The only thing that could make this show worse is by adding in a Kardashian. Oh wait, they're doing that. Yes, I'll take that 'scripted junk' over this show any day.

September 13, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  33. simon...

needs to be respected yet he needs to expose himself to better talent – he can be tense, he likes to have fun but still has that tense way about him, he has to really have time to let it all out and relax.

September 13, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  34. guys names

female words...

September 13, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Britney

is much better looking and better dressed then some of the women i know that is for sure.

September 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesse Pinkman

Wow...here in Atlanta there are 10 girls to every 1 guy. Hot women are EVERYWHERE! I don't know where you live but it sounds like you must live in Alaska to know so many fugly women...either that or you just can't attract the hotter women.

September 13, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Drew

Overall I watched the show on demand since I work nights, but after the first 20 minutes or so when it became clear that they were only concerned with the worst auditions ever, I watch The Voice on Hulu on my computer and paused it every once in a while to check on the auditions. Like with American Idol when I did watch it I will not waste my time on watching it until boot camp begins. It also bodes badly for the contestants themselves, as who knows other than the 4 good ones who we want to root for?

September 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jesse Pinkman

Britney Spears looks tired and worn down. She has a huge forehead with wrinkles that not even the X Factor makeup artists can hide. She looks haggy and in her late 40's. She might have been cute when she was young but the short years since then have definitely caught up to her. I almost feel sorry for her because she looks so rough. Since Britney could never really sing all that well, she mostly relied on her looks. Now her looks are deteriorating fast. On the other hand Christina Aguilera is an AMAZING singer and even if she ages she will still have her singing ability to fall back on. From watching this show I was amazed at how fast Britney has aged.

The 2 gossipy blonde sisters were freaking hilarious. If they keep having footage like that i will continue to watch.

September 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  38. AngieS

I'm glad Britney is better – but " better" is still looking much older than her years. Her hair was scraggily and unkept and she looked kinda trailer park. Yes she may live in a mansion – but pretty is as pretty does. You can take the girl out of the country but... Oh well, you know the sayin'
    Anyway. Demi was cute and refreshing – even though the show now looks like two old men with eye candy. But I guess that's the way of the world.

September 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Simon

is older now. just one

September 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  40. rhee

coached..possibly.

September 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  41. the factor

i don't get weakness at all-i get a very strong vibe.

September 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Dee

The whole show seemed staged and fake. the contestants appeared hand-selected ahead of time and almost as though they were coached on how to act ("OK, now act surprised...")

September 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  43. x FACTOR SUCKS

Too many look alike shows. How many do you need? Talent, x factor, idol. They all suck. Simon has his hand in all of them .

September 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  44. sorta kinda ...

maybe not

September 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Charlie C

I think it will end up being the breakout hit of the season. It and the new show that looks kind of like Hunger Games. And American Horror Story.

September 13, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Experience--Rewarding

the ratings were great..brit needs time, grant it she does not have the perfect voice however she does have the talent experience.

September 13, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Same format

who's smart, who's stupid, who cannot write...change this channel

September 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Clarita

geeze...the amps are too high-

September 13, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  49. sucked

The volume control was AWEFUL!!!

September 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Sonya

I have seen Britney in concert and she is phenomenal. Sure she lipsyncs on some songs as she is a dancer and it is very hard to dance and singat the same time. People like the dancing and the entertainment they do at these concerts. She is not the type of entertainer that just stands at the microphone and sings. That is just not what she is. There were times during the concert where she sang some of her slower songs and she sounded great. Her voice is soft and pretty. You can't compare every singer to Christina, Whitney or Mariah. It isn't fair and I GUARANTEE that Christina lipsyncs during some of her high impact concert acts because it is impossible to sing and jump around at the same time.

September 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Sonya

I thought it was entertaining although I do believe some of the acts are scripted. It will be better when they form groups. Say what you want about Britney. Regardless of the lipsyncing or whatever she is accused of th fact is that she is an entertainer and has been since she was 8 years old. I think she is perfectly suitable to give advice to those wanted to enter into that industry. She knows the business and knows what they look for. I also think she looked spectacular. Demi on the other hand to me is still young and not that experienced as a singer. I think they may have gone too far by asking her to be a judge. I also think because she is young she has harder time being honest and blunt to the contestants as she doesn't want to hurt any feelings.

September 13, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Richard

Fascinating. Paying white trash millions of $'s to entertain a white trash, trailer-park audience.

September 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesse Pinkman

L.A. Reid is not "white trash" ...go get your eyes checked there Richard

September 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Dave

Sucked ditchwater. Couldn't make it through a single episode.

September 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  54. kiki d

I haven't watched it yet but I have a hard time trusting any advice from Britney or Demi. Though Britney and Christina Aguilera are basically the same age and started out on the same show Christina is an amazing talent who has created and upheld her image. As a mentor on "The Voice" she is totally trustworthy. Britney on the other hand churns out auto-tuned shlock and has publicly derailed on more than one occasion. Is this really someone for these singers to look up to and trust taking advise from? As for this Demi Lovato, she just popped off of Disney and is suddenly seasoned enough to choose and mentor people? She seems like a nice enough girl but what has she really DONE to truly qualify her as a mentor? A Disney show and a couple of songs?? I understand they need big names to bring in ratings but there are so many other people out there with more experience and talent that they could have pooled from. Time will tell though.

September 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • leets

If I wanted to be a star, I'd trust Britney. She may not sing as well as Christina, but she has had many many more hit records.

September 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Booo

In that case, leet, you should talk the her producers and the record execs. They packaged her. It was about her looks. She was just a puppet.

September 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Aaron

I'm sorry, but The Voice has 2nd rate talent, pre-selected from singers already "known" to be singers. The singers are rarely marketable and will not be "stars". Sure, they may be great singers and it might be nice to consistently see good singers without the horrific disasters between, but it's not even close to being "real". The judges don't critique, they plead their case to be on their team in hope of reviving/improving their own careers. Seriously, is The Voice about the contestants or the judges, because I think I've seen Christina perform more on this show than anyone has ever cared to see her perform in her entire career. She's a perfect example of how America does NOT care about the "voice'. Key music from Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc.

X Factor and American Idol have produced One DIrection, Leona Lewis, Cher Lloyd, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, etc. Seems like these shows produce STARS while The Voice produces a VOICE, and that's it.

September 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob Lewis

First you said "The Voice" has "second rate talent." Then, "Sure, they may be great singers." You must have Mitt Romney's speechwriter.

September 13, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

Bwahaha...I would shoot myself if I had anything to do with Mitt Romney. But I see your point. I meant they have good singers, but nothing that can could sustain a huge career if that clarifies at all.

September 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Lola Jordan

My verdict is I'm not even going to watch it. I don't like the premise and I thought last years show was rigged.

September 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  57. the facts...

she was naked in the video ... i had a leather jacket on ... LOLOL

September 13, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  58. by the way:

that second tune? was alanis's version of seals famous hit ... crazy....
    watch alanis video..

i kept saying i'm too old for this!!! thank god cameras have thinning lenses now also...LOL

September 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Bob Lewis

This is the perfect show-for 1999!

September 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Maddi

Much prefer the Voice. The judges are entertaining but retain the focus on finding talented singers. The level of the talent on the Voice is much higher than on X Factor which seems to focus on the back stage drama and judges far too much. Is it just me or does some of the back stage drama seem contrived and even scripted? The annoying blonde stuck up southern 'belle' in particular seemed fake to me.

September 13, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob Lewis

You're right, Voice is much better. Talent level is higher and focus is on finding and nurturing that talent. Personal "drama" (my mother has cancer stories) are kept down and the stars have to pitch themselves to the talent.

September 13, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyle

The reason The Voice has better talent than X Factor is because the producers of The Voice only put through talented singers to the blind auditions. X Factor has both good and bad singers at the auditions. And some of the people I saw on X Factor were a lot better than some people on the Voice. Also, I don't understand how you can critique X Factor for focusing too much on the judges when half of The Voice is the judges begging the contestants to join their team so that they can win. X Factor is all about finding talent, The Voice is about finding talent AND the coaches competing against each other. Don't get me wrong, I like both shows but in my personal opinion, X Factor is the better of the two. The majority of singers on The Voice have already had singing careers before whereas the majority of singers on X Factor have no experience.

September 14, 2012 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  61. lindaluttrell

Who does Spears think she is??? Does she think people have forgotten about the "special" microphone to correct that toneless voice of HERS...

September 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Kathy

Doesn’t Britney herself lip sync?

September 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

I agree - I like Britney but watching her judge the show is like watching a kindergartener who plays with Legos or Playdoh judge a modern art sculpterer's work. Or something similar. How about like watching someone who makes YouTube video commentary in a messy living room judging Christopher Nolan's directing? Etc.

September 13, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Kathy

Does't Britney herself lip sync.

September 13, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  64. putty

i think simon is hot...he has to do something about the hair cut...not sure what thats called.

September 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  65. PSR

Very entertaining. So much more enjoyable to watch than the Voice...

September 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  66. margee

depends who i'm banging out the tune for...

September 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  67. maria

Watching Britney last night on Leno's show I can't believe how "old" she looks like !well all the drugs are playing on her face! you notice how she keeping rolling her fingers? that is sign of nervous and depression I hear she still in drugs but I thing is meds.for depression ,she is depressed and all the meds.are showing in her manerisms! her arms around her chest is a sign of insecurity indeed! I don't know if she is going to make I don't have faith on her ,but for sure she is making a lot of money! and boy! Simon looks bad .well he never had been handsome but now the yars are working on him I watch the show couple of minutes but I am nt thinking on watching again......

September 13, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  68. GT

I've watched all four (Idol; AGT;Voice; X) since their beginnings. Idol and X are clones in their early season reliance on Springer show style judge put downs and stage bizarre behavior with confrontation as their hooks. Idol has the best talent and stage production. The judges on AGT range from it's all about "I/me" Stern to the quiescent space occupying others. Voice's hook is in the intelligent/creative and largely positive banter amongst their knowledgable judges. They present the second best talent and then just let's them sing.

September 13, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Beavis

Britney Spears =/= Talent

September 13, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Renee

I'd like to see that rock girl do some Alanis Morissette or "We Belong" by Benatar.

September 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Lucas

I thought Britney looked OLD. Her face and all. She is in her 30's and JLo looks younger then her. she looks like she has had a rough life. I have seen better looking older Crack heads

September 13, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nephthys48

Um...exaggerate much? Britney is not a teenager, but crackhead? C'mon.

September 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angela

I totally agree with this comment. She looked terrible, unkept and sloppy. Her nails were bitten down and not polished. Her lipstick was messy. She just looked an overall mess. They need to make her look better on the show.

September 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Brit's night

i heard she was alright..she's shy right now..you have to give her a chance.

September 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Blogging...

is a simple log count of comments..that is it.

September 13, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  74. jazz

Brittney was great. She was so straight forward in her opinion it was funny.

September 13, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucas

I turned it off less then half way and started watching The Voice. I love Simon and Reid but dont really care what Brit and Demi have to say. Why is Britney even on this show she doesn't even sing. All her music is enahnced and all she does is Lip sing. The reason these shows are not good anymore is because they are the same old thing. They want to find the next POP star. america wants the next great SINGER maybe diva like Maria or Celine. Gotta say not a fan of Christina aguilara but really like The Voice

September 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  75. calbikerman

Best cast of judges yet.. and with Britney and Demi being proven performers the show is much more credible.. but they should cut down on the life segments of performers..too long... and the gong show dissing of that older guy was pathetic... he was obviously thrown to the wolves for a comedy respite..

September 13, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  76. RMD

Any show that has Britney Spears telling people they are lousy singers has zero cred.

September 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  77. rufess

we want thee ahhhh dore back......it's steven wif a cee.....

September 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  78. greymare

This is the first time I watched X Factor and I loved it. There could have been a little less drama, but that is reality tv. I love the judges and thought Britney did a good job. She is honest. People say she is mean, but it is better than having false hope. If you stink, you stink. Someone needs to tell you so you can go get a day job. Just sayin...

September 13, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Joyce Yore

Demi brought youth to the show and that was good, Brittany was a disappointment for me, seemed scared, and uncomfortable and her comments were pitiful.......just my opinion........

September 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Anonymous

Jenell was HOT.

September 13, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Kai

Britney was priceless. I laughed the show. Its entertaining and I was entertained. Thats it!!

September 13, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  82. XF

they can ncis each other

September 13, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  83. simon

simon needs a good exposure about 4 hours a week

September 13, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  84. I think ---

brit and simon should hit the sheets....

September 13, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  85. Turner

Talentless hacks, judging talentless hacks.

September 13, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Vikki

I liked the other judges from last year, they knew what they were talking about....I think Britney is rude!

September 13, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  86. X-Factor

its the truth .. its their future..you have to look like you want the exposure

September 13, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  87. Roscoe Chait

I really enjoyed the show, and I hated it last season. I would have preferred to see more real talent in the performers. I guess it is hard to come up with a Susan Boyle (yes, I know she is in England), but it was fun to watch the reaction of the judges, especially Brittany, because we didn't know what to expect. She has impressed me with her poise, compassion and toughness. I've always liked her, but seeing her in this venue is a bonus. She has grown up.

To the writer of this article: I like the "scripted junk like NCIS." So there.

September 13, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  88. M

boooooooring. *snooze*

September 13, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  89. X-Factor

simon is not onstage..the performers are and they have to look the part. this is their future and they have to look the part.

September 13, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Dina

Look at it this way. If your parents were trying to set an example for you to present yourself in the best light and do your best, if they looked like slobs, would you respect their opinions? I think not

September 13, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • X-Factor

most of the time dressing up comes from your upbringing, however if you want the job bad enough you have to play the dress role. on an office interview, when you walk in..they know your resume already and have check you out already, the next thing an interviewer will do is look at you from head to toe. hair, clean nails, most of all the personality and if you will fit in with the group- you can't just shoot your mouth off about how intelligent you are..there are other roles you have to meet.

September 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  90. X-Factor

both show are basically the same format...i am more confident with simon. he's a business man and knows what has to be done .

September 13, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  91. Dina

Simon always tells contestants that they need to bring it up a notch to win. He comments on their clothing and tells them how they look. Get a mirror Simon! How do you think America judges what you wear? I know he would say that he can dress anyway he wants because of his money and fame but it would be funny for one of the contestants to throw that back in his face. That would make the show entertaining!

September 13, 2012 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

Not really. Contestants have made cracks at Simon and they usually just make themselves look like whiny, spoiled brats.

September 13, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • maria

Can't stand that Simon he is a ugly,snobisch,multimillionaire wacho,who came to America like all the others Brit's to e treat people like trash and get rich ,only in America,he is rich he should be content already not tryingto make more and more money ,enough is enough I watch a little and the show sucks all the judges sucks! never watch again never will!

September 13, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Primal 4 Life

A million times better than American Idol ever was.

September 13, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  93. Ann

The voice is a much more entertaining show. I am sure it will win in the ratings. Time for Simon to go home.

September 13, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim

I agree. So far this season, The Voice has outshown the first episode of the XFactor by heads and shoulders. The talent is much better, the judges are much better and far more entertaining, and even the preperformance packages are much better done. I found last night's XFactor to be boring at times, to the point where I left the room to do other things.

September 13, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • maria

Of all the other shows ,The Voice is my favorite so far .and you are right is time for Simon to go home and enjoy the millions this Country give it to him! he is greedy he has shows in oLondon too I notice he is not the same from America Idol many years ago he is getting old ! he brought Britney to make noise to be reconized again his fame is going down ......he is using Britney to bring audince!

September 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vikki

The voice is great this year!

September 13, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Bria

I loved it. The whole show was entertaining.

September 13, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  95. X-Factor

he's probably giving britney and demi exposure he will step in a final decisions similar to a ceo

September 13, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  96. Kathy

he's in his 50's..he does a decent job.

September 13, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  97. Adam

There are better judging panels on other singing shows, but I liked it better than last year's judges. I like Simon kind of taking a back seat so far and letting Brittney and Demi do their thing.

September 13, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  98. john

I won't watch it again...the format is tiring and the judges are the same....Too bad we can't X the judges.

September 13, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  99. twigloo

For judges that are looking for professionalism, they are not professional or even prepared themselves....anyone can walk off the street and judge like they do.

September 13, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  100. patti

A veritable yawn..very lackluster....Simon should grow up as he's too old to pull off the v-neck t-shirt with his hairy chest.....how old is he?...c'mon

September 13, 2012 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
    • maria

September 13, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • maria

He is a ugly,old man with a big EGO! and greedy too he is a millionaire, is time for him to let someone to take over! and not it is not a detected comment I didn't say that before so edit my comment!

September 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Butch

bore

September 13, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  102. Clara

I really didn't care for it. Not meaning to be negative, but our family just didn't like it.

September 13, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |