Kanye considers use of word 'b***h'
September 3rd, 2012

Kanye considers use of word 'b***h'

Kanye raised plenty of eyebrows a few weeks back when he said his song "Perfect B***h" was inspired by his current lady love, Kim Kardashian.

While Kim was rumored to be A-OK with his use of the term, the same can't be said for everyone else who heard about it. While he didn't acknowledge that song in particular, Kanye did take a moment over the weekend to reflect on the word's use.

On Sunday, Kanye explored the dos and donts of profanity, ruminating on the question "is the word B***H acceptable?" in a series of tweets.

"To be more specific," he said at the start of his Twitter chat, "is it acceptable for a man to call a woman a bitch even if it's endearing? Even typing it in question form [it] still feels harsh? ... Is it ok to use b***h as long as we put BAD in front of it? Like you a BAD B***H[?]"

He later explained that he was "recently questioned about the use of the word B***H in my music and initially was offended by anyone questioning anything in my music," but regardless, it certainly sparked a dialogue for the hip-hop artist.

He wondered whether "hip-hop conditioned us to accept this word," likening it to the use of the controversial term "n***a."

"Here's the age old question," Kanye posed. "[W]ould we refer to our mothers as b****es? Would' we call our fathers n****rs or better yet N***AS? ... If n***a is such a positive word, why do we feel so uncomfortable for white people to say it, even with a hall pass?"

Or, he suggested, "Perhaps the words B***H and N***A are now neither positive or negative. They are just potent and it depends on how the are used and by whom?" And alternatively, "What if there was no profanity... What if we decided to legali[z]e profanity in a sense? In France they play songs with cursing on the radio ..."

He clarified that the point of his tweet-fest wasn't to offer concrete answers, or "to say what we need and what we don't... I just wanted to think out loud with you guys today...I will admit that I sometimes go back an[d] omit cursing from my records. I like to use profanity as a tool and not a crutch."

What would be your response to Kanye's original question: Is the word b***h (which, no, we can't display without censor here) acceptable?

Filed under: Celebrities • Kanye West • Kardashians

1. JG

Kanye...Madonna not available???

September 4, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tanya

If they take away the f bomb and the b word there would be no rap music.

September 4, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. libra6

me like

September 4, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mrskool

How Romantic !!

I cant believe Kim is OK with being called a B***h n his song ino matter how endearing ?!?!?

September 4, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. libra18

escape?

September 4, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bang

men like calling women biatches...they feel sense of power, which of course there is none..

September 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. pisces 11

Moron!

September 4, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Steve

Hey Kanye...FYI...the term B***h is NEVER endearing, just sayin'. Maybe its time to grow up and act like a real man. Dont make excuses, blaming Rap or anything else, just man up about it.

September 4, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  9. Melanie

My ex whom I was madly in love with tried to use that term with me and my respect went down by volumes. There is nothing cute about the term. Get a clue Kayne but it probably won't ever happen.

September 4, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. guys

your there right?

September 4, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. Sebastian2

He asks if the word b**ch is appropriate? I'd say only if he was using it to describe himself....

September 4, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. nbafan

Dude has to be the dumbest man on the planet right now.

September 4, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jane

I think he makes really good points all the way around, and I like the way he's still questioning.

September 4, 2012 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. tanya?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

September 4, 2012 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. hey richard

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

September 4, 2012 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  16. Richard

Vulgarity will always be part of the vocabulary of human trash, gutter rats, the uneducated and stupid.

September 4, 2012 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

Than you must be a vulgar man

September 4, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Nice third-grade response there...I know you are but what am I?

Let me guess you are a fan of Kanye...it shows in your immature, pointless post.

September 4, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

Im not a fan of kanye,but I dont hate him. I respect his talent as a beat maker. He is a little ego centeric but that dosnt make him a bad person. Most of yall hate him becuse he dates a white girl. Too bad,theres millions of black men white woman couples in america. Get over it

September 4, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  17. tanya

Never been a Kanye fan.....ever.....he's so full of himself.....arrogant, rude etc......he could have a gazillion dollars for all I care.....Kim's spoiled and vain.....she probably has some nice ways about her too but overalll she is as vain as he is....they'll probably last forever........lol

September 3, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  18. the k's

reports say... they are opening their clothing line in 22 states . i guess they are mooning us..LOL

September 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  19. sultana

um ya he a dumb disrespectful dumb a$$ he insulting and a really bad role model 4 everyone . who really pays attention to this creep . he sucks as a human being and so does his dumb a$$ girlfriend wat an airhead stupid kardashian chic

September 3, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. eric hawxby

man, what a thinker. He's so complex.

September 3, 2012 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. K&K

i love a good hard edged song myself-

September 3, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  22. realhousewivesrealprofessor

It obviously depends on context. I think we shouldn't become TOOO politically correct about art, but at the same time, it's good that Kanye is questioning his use of the word. Sometimes we have to use strong words in order to elevate art. For instance, if his song was just, "Perfect Girl" it wouild be a snooze-fest. We've al heard that song a million times. But "Perfect B#itch" has a hard edge, a bitterness, as well as a kind of fearful admiration. So, if he intended the listener to have conflicted feelings and regard the song as unique, he succeeded. Like Kanye, I don't think there's an easy answer.

September 3, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |