'Modern Family' creator to Ann Romney: We'll let you guest, if ...
August 29th, 2012

'Modern Family' creator to Ann Romney: We'll let you guest, if ...

It's not everyday a self-professed fan of "Modern Family" gets an offer to guest star, but series co-creator Steve Levitan has extended such an opportunity to Ann Romney ... should one major political development occur.

Ann, the 63-year-old wife of Republican presidential hopeful Mitt, revealed to "Entertainment Tonight" that the Emmy-winning ABC comedy is her favorite show on TV.

The series centers on three interconnected families, one of which is made up of committed partners Cam (Eric Stonestreet) and Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson).

Hearing the news that Ann's among the many who tune in to his show, Levitan tweeted Tuesday that he was "thrilled" to know he can count her as a fan.

"We'll offer her the role of officiant at Mitch & Cam's wedding," he added, "As soon as it's legal."

Ann's husband, who will be formally nominated as the Republican presidential candidate on Thursday, has a platform that opposes same-sex marriage.

Ann might've missed Levitan's sly push for change, though, as she was gearing up to speak at the Republican National Convention the day the "Modern Family" EP sent it out.

Filed under: Modern Family • Politainment • television

1. Annenrylemden

a good choice apparel concepts for you Type
    yonex armortec-yonex carbonex-http://www.badmintonyonex.com/yonex-badminton-rackets-c-34.html

November 6, 2012 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. Isabel Marant

Exclusion of harmful materials by adopting lead free soldering
    http://www.basketisabelmarantsneakersv.com http://www.basketisabelmarantsneakersv.com Les trottoirs de la rue Hochelaga sont libres d'arbres et réservés à l'usage des commer?ants
    Isabel Marant Basket Isabel Marant Basket Isabel Marant Basket Isabel Marant

October 29, 2012 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. Robe de cérémonie

Hello I am so happy I found your internet site, I must say i found you in error, when i was watching on google for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would likely love to say say thanks to for any great publish plus a at all times interesting blog site. Remember to continue the great function.
    Robe de cérémonie http://www.roberobes.com/

October 27, 2012 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tyler

Hi it's me, I am also visiting this web site daily, this site is actually pleasant and the people are in fact sharing good thoughts.

Prescription Safety Glasses

October 18, 2012 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. Towanda

LOL – on so many comments. Often the comments are so far removed from the article that I have to scroll back to the top and re-read the article to be sure I didn't move to the next "Entry". I like the show too – cause it's funny.

September 27, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Deme Joseph

STOP IT STOP IT. This little church girl is so sweet – when she married Mtt, her grandparents had to set on a sofa in the foyer – because they were not of the faith. Such a nice little girl for first lady. STOP IT STOP IT

September 24, 2012 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Akhmatova

So they are against gay marriage but their preferred show is modern family... Ok.
    A bit contradictory, is it not?
    These people are lairs and shameless; they are willing to do and to say anything they believe makes them connect with the masses.

September 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

They didn't come out against hypocrisy did they? If they do, that's when they'll have to stop watching and pretend to be offended.

September 27, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. come clean

Would never watch a show like this that goes against Gods' Laws!

September 21, 2012 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Cap'n Rita

What is with the line around her neck that looks like a scar? Did she have a different head sewn on?

September 21, 2012 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  10. Stefan Patrick

This is a major tempest in a semantic teapot. The word "marriage" has, since the beginning of history, signified the joining of a man and a woman for the purpose of producing children. Let the heteros keep the word. Find a new word. Most straight people I've spoken to don't care if gay people unite, and have all the rights of married people. They just want to keep the word "marriage" as their own. Gays need a new word. This is a whole new concept in modern history. It deserves its own word.
    And, no, Denna. A conservative is not necessarily a Republican, nor is a Republican necessarily a conservative. I think you've forgotten your tautologies.

September 18, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maya

Holy logical fallacy, Batman. Ever hear of appeal to tradition? Google it.

Straight people do not own the word "marriage," nor do religious people. They need to stop acting like screaming toddlers.

September 19, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Always Amused

Why are you SO CONCERNED about what gay people "call" their union? It doesn't affect YOU in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER! If you are REALLY "OK" with gay unions, then why are you so adamant that they use some different word to refer to their marriage? ANSWER: You are simply a self-righteous bigot who thinks he has the "god-given right" to tell others what they can and cannot do because you are so full of yourself!... Please get over yourself!...

September 19, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike A

Ok always amused, so do you agree then that polygamy couples should be allowed to marry as well? What about incest couples? If you're going to stand up for one group, stand up for all of them.

September 20, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Martin

Stefan – You may want to check your history, before saying things like: 'The word "marriage" has, since the beginning of history, signified the joining of a man and a woman for the purpose of producing children.'
      There are many instances of gay marriage being accepted by societies, throughout history. This includes the early Christian church. The Sacred Band of Thebes, the most elite force of soldiers of their time (~350 BC) were composed of married gay couples. Gay marriage was practiced globally, from the Ming Dynasty to the earliest iterations of the Roman Empire. Gay marriage was prominent among many Native American tribes, well before the arrival of Europeans, as well as having a history in Africa.
      Again: read history, before you start claiming to quote from it.
      The bias against gay marriage is an invention of _modern_ history.

September 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Romney & Ryan Getting Married

Mitt & Paul will be standing at the altar I'm sure if it helped them win office. Sad that allowing two adults to marry that deeply love one another is an issue in this country.... I can see Mitt & Paul despertaely want to make love to each other and they should be allowed.

September 18, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  12. IO

Ann Romney has made statements in the past which suggest she might support the right for all Americans to marry the person they love. It would be nice if that's the case.

September 12, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Cheryl Lopez

I have a beloved cousin that is Republican, I a Democrat. I promised to look at Mitt and Ryan. I came , I saw,
    Obama gets my vote! I was told Obama was scary to them! OMG- I fear for many many people in my life if Mitt gets to be President. Mitt don't fit- in my house anyways!
    I have many friends- poor friends, on birth control. I have MANY friends who are gay and want to marry so they can have health benfits!!!!! If Mitt gets in, none of us will have any benefits! He is the scariest one!!!! and that Ryan- ugly liar!
    I do not believe Republicans hate gays, just Mormon Republicans! Or maybe just Mitt! THAT is what counts to me!
    Go Obama!

September 11, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee

Sorry to burst your bubble. I am an Indie and have lots of Republican Friends–in fact, most my friends and acquaintances are in the GOP. Most actually do hate gays–they are not Mormons–I live in the Bible Belt–most are either Baptists, Penecostal or Catholic– most say they hate the sin but not the sinner, then when they decide to let loose the vitriol is so ugly and is directed at the --(inject the perjorative here for gay people) nope–you are delusional because you love your cousin– but many in the GOP really do dislike gays, blacks, hispanics and anyone not in their party.

September 15, 2012 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  14. Ann Romney

Silly man, I don't really like the show. I didn't even know about its existence until an assistant told me. I only said I like it because my strategic team said we had a 51.0% chance of gaining 3 points among a demographic whose name I don't even care to remember if I said it.

September 11, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. laodegan

Steve Levitan's idea is totally gay.

September 11, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  16. bebgsurg

Marriage is a union of a man and a woman. You can call something else marriage, but that doesn't make it so.

September 10, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • bear79

you're on the wrong side of history my friend. Just like the supporters of slavery, jim crow, etc, etc.

September 11, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • mk

It was also said that marriage was only between two people of the same race. That changed too.

September 12, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • MT

Marriage is a civil contract. Everyone should have equal rights under the law to equally enter into this contractual agreement.

September 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • MT

The way you can tell that this has nothing to do with gods is that you don't have to have gods to get married. It's a nonsectarian experience and should be available to all equally.

September 20, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dave254

DO the phuqing gays EVER get sick of WHINING?

September 10, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Brenda

Republicans don't hate gays. People who hate gays, hate gays.

September 10, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
    • die die

and we all know that most people who hate gays turn out to be republicans.

September 10, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • joules beef

very true and wise comment, with one caveat, nearly all those who hate gays, blacks, jews, hispanics and any other minority are republican, but not every republican are bigots and haters. They just threw open their arms to them when the dems chased them out during the civil rights era.

September 10, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • justjabari

^^you are my hero. slickest reply i have ever read

September 11, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

Gays whine too much. Same thing with black folks. Both would get more respect if they stopped the whining.

September 12, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee

Translation for Joe's remarks about blacks and gays = "shut up and take it"

September 15, 2012 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  19. LOOOOOOOL

@Pat

Yeah this guy is a no name, I mean it's not like he has one of the current top TV shows on television. Compared to him, you're just a gnat scraping the bottom of the barrel at your minimum wage foundry job.

September 9, 2012 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
    • learn how to read fool

Why don't you learn how to read... Pat was responding to someone posting as "no name". Way to jump to conclusions before you know what's going on. Sounds like the typical Liberal stand. Let the insults begin.

September 10, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  20. Daniel

And no one mentions that the series also shows two importante latino inmigrants character (aren't the Republicans not to much pro-inmigration also?)

September 8, 2012 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

There's a huge difference between illegal immigrants and LEGAL immigrants.

September 10, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  21. no name

Ann Romney is a beutiful laty who has had a health scare you would think that she would be for univesal health care after all not everyone has 32 friends who are billionaires who will give you a safety net if they have your husband ears. The Koch brothers includes 32 billionaires who are holding the American economy hostage, no hire just fire and wait for our man to get elected. No taxes on us rich folks we will not hire until we are ready unless the American people become smart and stop buying our products.

September 7, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

No name, spewing liberal garbage.

September 8, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • She and Mittsy ARE for universal healthcare - THEY BROUGHT IT TO MASSACHUSETTES - REMEMBER?

My how you pointy-headed, tiny-dicked wingnut azzwipes really have no memory whatsoever.

Mittsy had the FIRST universal healthcare in Massachusettes with a mandate. Remember? He was for it before he was against it.

September 14, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  22. the_dude

Can we just have civil war already???? Enough of this crap

September 6, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Liberatus

The only reason she came out and said this publicly, is because a new show involving gay characters has been banned from the Salt Lake City market-a network owned by Mormons. She is only saying this to try and counteract this politically.

September 6, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

Or maybe an entertainment program asked what her favorite TV program was... Not everything that everyone in a political race does is cynically done for political gain.

September 7, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
    • Eisener

That's just wild. If you are right – and I guess you may very well be, how incredibly sad is that...

September 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pat

I don't support gay marriage. I support civil unions. Regardless of faith or beliefs, equal rights under the law must be upheld. So, if you don't support gay civil unions or gay marriage, you can't like and enjoy Modern Family? I think all the characters are hysterical.

September 8, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fin

And how do you know this?

September 11, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  24. mc

gays, gays, gays.....No God or jews, but Gays...that's what we care about

September 6, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Pat

Denna, so all Dems are gay? Or in a union? How is it that most liberals are the least tolerant people on the planet? It seems that you are only tolerant to those who agree with you.

September 8, 2012 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

Your "God" is a fairy tale and the Jews started the farce in the Western World. This is not the Stone Age...

September 12, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  25. alexanderwangoutletsale

http://www.alexanderwangoutletsale.com thank you share you topic and article picture

September 5, 2012 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jillyn

Nicely played.

September 4, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Michael B.

I'm Mormon, and I love Modern Family also! Who really cares if there is a gay couple? They love each other, what's the big deal?

September 4, 2012 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

Many Republicans seem to care who loves who, especially Anne Romney's husband, who will never let gay marriage be legal. Besides, remember, we are "you people" who deserve to know nothing, and the Republicans will see to it, if they can, that that never changes.

September 7, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Datch

What's the big deal? The big deal is that the church to which you belong is spending and has spent millions of dollars to make sure that people who "just love each other" don't have rights to protect their families under the law. That's the big deal.

September 9, 2012 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
    • LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL are you serious MORMONS NEVER PAIDED ANY MONEY AGAINST GAYS

I am a morman in california, i half my friends are gay! oh noo this cannont be true. Wake up all you DEM And REPs you listen to your bias media and live in a dream world, hey neo i think this one doesnt want to wake up. Well Mormans, Catholics, Baptists, jewish, etc etc all have there own beliefs. our church is not raising any money against Gay Marriage.
      yes i voted no for me and my beliefs not to punish my gay friends. they know my stance and thats fine with them. its the media that BLOWS things waay out of perportion. WAKE up and troll your self into a real world where all of us need to stop fighting and helping each other out. so get up and go help an old lady cross the street and vote for who you want. stop the hate,

September 14, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  28. pjc722

I love that she loves this show. I am a fan... not diehard... but it does show that although our religions hold steadfast against the gay lifestyle that people of all religions are open to looking beyond that to a better understanding of what it means to be gay. I would love to see Ann on the program whether or not her husband gets into office.

September 4, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

"Our religions hold steadfast against the gay lifestyle." I'd like to slap your intolerant, shallow and probably ugly face.

September 5, 2012 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
    • mk

"...people of all religions are open to looking beyond that to a better understanding of what it means to be gay"

That's a joke. You can't say that you're "open" or "understanding" until you admit that gay people are just the same as you and me and deserve the same kind of commitment that we enjoy. Stop acting like you're so tolerant because you aren't stoning them.

September 12, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  29. jb2817

Hey Steve,,, go suck a d!ck

September 4, 2012 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Mac

I don't get your point, and I don't really care. Just want to let you know your low-choice of words are pathetic and weak no matter what you are responding to.

September 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Greg Wolley

Funny thing is, President Obama said that Modern Family is also his family's favorite show. So maybe the Obamas and the Romneys could have a TV night together.

September 3, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • REGGIE

They would watch The Campaign XD

September 4, 2012 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

What would be awesome is if they could both show up on the same episode... before election night... and actually behave decently.

But then everyone would know it wasn't real.

September 5, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Pisces67

To Gloria – What are you talking about. Mitt has flip flopped on every issue out there! He can't even admit Romneycare was a great thing for MA. He even said it should be a model for the country. He has no beliefs.

September 1, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • rahjahk

That's because Romneycare has been HORRIBLE for the state of MA. Healthcare costs in MA skyrocketed to #2 in the nation as a result. It's all based on the tax penalty. MassHealth is a joke that denies eligible people all the time. My favorite is unemployed people being denied because they USED to make money. So what do they end up doing? Pay the tax penalty because it's cheaper than insurance.

September 2, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

Pisces67... you ever hear of a little thing called "States rights"???

September 10, 2012 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
    • queenbee

rahjahk–if what you say about Romney care is true, then imagine that Mitt feels pretty successful–based on his plan, he has managed to look like he socially cares AND managed to increase the tax revenue. Either people pay into his plan or pay the penalty which is high enough to be a tax increase–either way, money goes to the government.

Pretty slick, huh?

September 15, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  32. Gloria

Good for you, Mrs. Romney. You have an opinion and a preference – and you are just like all of the rest of us – at the end of day who tune in and appreciate the comedic genius that is Modern Family. I couldn't agree more. After all – we Americans are pretty funny when we stand back and admit it – every fictional character on Modern Family reminds us of someone we know. Mrs. Romneys choice of a favorite t.v. show – I would have more surprised if she was missing out on the FUN every week that is portrayed on Modern Family. I am glad she is tuning in and laughing right along with the rest of America. Refreshing. Genuine. That's what I take from getting to know Mrs. Romney.

September 1, 2012 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
    • what the hell are you talking about?

Hallelujah! She's not a cyborg!

What the hell are you rambling about? She likes a TV show. Amazing.

September 1, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Voting4Obama

I agree in essence with what you write for sure.

I will say though, the fact that the Mormon church have banned the TV show from airing in Utah as the same time she comes out to say this makes me wonder if she is 'cleaning up' - hope not, would be horrible if the woman who may become our First Lady is that cynical.

September 7, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • queenbee

Funny. so she can laugh at people and enjoy seeing them as entertainment or THIngs to please her and harm them in real life? Another similarity between the black struggle and the gays. Blacks have been "collected" in dolls and art and people enjoy watching them sing, dance or play sports but hate them in reality or at least fight to keep them in "their place" and now, gays are good enough to be her entertainment but not good enough to be considered as the real people they are and have the same rights as everyone else?

It might be "Good for Ann" but it is most certainly NOT good for other human beings. People should ALWAYS be considered and not be viewed as things or entertainment when convenient and oppressed at all other times.

September 15, 2012 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  33. Mark

Typical Hollywood. The guy has to be an ass even when he is paid a compliment.

August 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • rob

ahhh, it's his show. he can cast it anyway he wants. howabout Clint as a crazy bishop!!!

August 31, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • erin

He is just smart, contrary to the woman....and her husband!

August 31, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Dan

Let's hope this never happens.

August 31, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  35. Strike 2

hope it works out

August 31, 2012 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  36. Jon

Mitt was for marriage equality before he was against it.

August 30, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

That's really funny. Actually, Obama was against it before he was for it.

August 31, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Gloria

Does anyone know the position of Barack Obama or Michelle Obama – on the issue of gay marriage today. Or whether or not that "position" will change tomorrow. Seeing how Barack Obama was for it – or against it. Depending on the political campaign he has been engaged in – flipping and flopping on that position in the past. Voting for and voting against it. Flip and flop, Obama. What will you state is your position – tomorrow? Hmmm anyone's guess.

Mrs. Romney – she quietly is who she is. And at least she does not pander and equivocate and flip and flop on this issue – like the Obama's. Jockeying for power and privilege. Amazing that the producer of Modern Family seems to not be aware of any of that. Come on, Steve Levitan – you have to be more "aware" of how things are – in the political world. You just have to be... why pretend (like your fictional characters) to only be fixated on Mrs. Romney? Surreal, sir. SURREAL. Does she deserve you dishing out at her? And you gifting the Obama's with a free pass, sir. Of course not.

September 1, 2012 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

What's Marriage Equality?

September 4, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  37. JayNYC

It would surprise me very little if Ann Romney was actually in favor of marriage equality. It might surprise me a LITTLE more if her husband was. But frankly, I think he should have just come out in favor of marriage equality right after Obama did. At least it would have taken this issue off the table. But the conservatives would have been running around like chicken little with its head cut off.

But for me, it comes down to this. Anyone who intentionally fights to deny the happiness of other people, even under the guise of "religion," is a BAD PERSON. Period. And they don't get my vote, no matter how much they promise to reduce spending and cut taxes.

August 30, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Snorlax

Every state in the union has one set of laws, that cover ALL citizens. Equally.

August 30, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Unfortunately your idea is conditional on Mitt actually having principles, which he clearly doesn't given all his flip=flopping.

August 30, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dito

that makes too much sense doesn't it?

cheers to you and your lack of hate.

August 30, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gloria

JayNYC – you are aware that up until stupid is as stupid does Joe Biden inserted his foot in the topic and opined on behalf of the prez, Mr. Obama himself was not for or against any of it. In fact – in the past – the 2008 election as a matter of fact – Mr. Obama was allowed by you conscientious progressives – to not even offer up a position on the issue – and you all still blindly voted for him.

Turns out Mr. Obama has been flip flopping on this issue the totality of his adult life – and no one credibly believes just because Joe Biden forced his hand – that Mr. Obama saying he is "for" gay marriage in the year 2012 means he really is "for" gay marriage.

If you want to genuinely credit people for bravely being exactly who they are and never, ever lying about that fact or trying to be a flip flopper opportunist on any and all issued simply to curry OPPORTUNITY for himself only – judge Barack Obama. Who in the heck knows a danged thing about who he really, really is. You, sir – never, ever cared to find out in 2008 or hold his feet to the fire about gay marriage or a whole lot more.

The Romney's – they simply are true to themselves and their beliefs. And that makes them credible and worthy of being trusted. By all people. And you know so. Try holding Mr. and Mrs. Obama to some standard, dude. It is about time you and the hypocritical "progressive" movement did.

September 1, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  38. Anthony

Show suxx. Nobody I know watches or talks about it.

August 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

And this self important tv show guy can be a guest at the Romney whitehouse if he promises to not politicize his personal views.

August 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

It's not a show that most nascar fans would watch, so its no wonder you don't like it.

August 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack

You have to have friends first.
      I'm just feeding the troll, Troll.

August 30, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  39. JJ

I consider myself a Republican, and I happen to love my gays. I hate that it's turned into this us vs them, but everyone has their own issue and mine is not who my friends can or cannot marry, but instead what the goverment wants to do with my hard earned tax money. I live alone, I work two jobs and I detest the thought that I am finanically supporting the same idiots who are out stealing the wheel caps off my car while I sit at my desk.
    I definitely think women conservatives are much more compassionate (Laura Bush, Cindy McCain) than our male counterparts.

August 30, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meh

So, it sounds like you are buying into the lies from the right that Obama has eliminated the work requirement for welfare.

By the way, over 5 republican governors asked the for these exact changes that Obama is proposing.

August 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Guess what, JJ, us liberals detest that too. Your entire party has been completely brainwashed to demonize us in horrific ways. It's insane. No liberal wants wasteful government. No liberal i know wants people to get a free ride and be able to milk the welfare system. Every liberal i know wants efficient government. They just also want clean air and water, fair wages, and a decent safety net for the treacly needy. "Tax and spend" liberal is a ridiculous label. Every liberal i know wants a balanced budget. They just think the middle class deserve a tax break far more than the rich do. Every liberal i know supports freedom of religion, they just dont' want someone else's religious beliefs pushed onto them, anymore than you want someone else telling you how to live your life. Republicans have demonized us so much that you all don't think about it before you just accept what they're telling you. The enemy of the GOP is not the liberals, because the values of liberals and most rational members of the GOP are the same. The enemy is in your own party. It's the tea party, the lunatics who insist on pushing you further to the right than you were ever comfortable with.

August 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Michael Caliazzo

Suppose Eliot Spitzer, got a publicist to explain his actions were Nobody's Concern, and he got back in public life.

Spitzer would be the best choice for President and the best All Round Mind ever to hold office.

August 30, 2012 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick

He's definitely a brilliant man but with so many values voters in the USA it would be pretty tough for him to get elected.

August 30, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  41. John

I live in Canada and consider myself pro gay but the gay marriage issue is overblown. I know hundreds of gay people ..HUNDREDS.. and i know exactly three married gay couples... two of them have open relationships, one of them does not ( to my knowledge) Accordiing to the census, there are only 7,000 married gay couples in Canada, in a country of almost 35 million people. Gay marriage is not the civil rights movement of the 21st century. Gays don't even support marriage in their own lives.

August 30, 2012 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
    • renee

John, what is your point? I know many straight people, literally hundreds, who do don't believe in marriage either! So, marriage is no big deal......right????? By all means, lets just do away with marriage, since its doesn't matter to the hundreds of gays and hetero people we know.

August 30, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • scott

shhh... It's not something we are allowed to do in this country john. Criticize gay marrige that is. We aren't supposed to express negative opnions about gay marrige here. Gays apparently would rather be married than live together or be promiscuous. Kind of odd isn't it?.

August 30, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Delat

It's a little bit like a member of the KKK liking the Cosby Show, isn't it?

August 30, 2012 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Actually, no...

It's not like that at all. I'm guessing you didn't do very well in your 2nd grade analogy test, did you? Here, let me help you out with a proper analogy: "trying to get Trix from kids" is to "the Trix Rabbit" as "trying to analogize Ann Romney to a vile hate group" is to "Delat."

August 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  43. captain obvious...

bad show-not sure whats happening to this country, but i fear more problems

August 29, 2012 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  44. mike

That dreck is one of the worst shows I've ever immediately switched off. Who watches it?? A gay couple represents a "modern family"????? The writers/creators of this turf are obviously gay. Who the hell could make this crap up????

August 29, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

You're obviously a Republican.Sad indeed.You might want to grow up and learn something.

August 29, 2012 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • PushingBack

Apparently a gay family is better than the one that raised you.

August 29, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

@mike How do you know its one of the worst shows if you immediately switched it off? Typical Westboro response.

August 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  45. NOTPC-I AGREE

did those 2 have s-x yet?

August 29, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rich

I assume they have, but they don't show it on TV. They don't show anyone going to the bathroom either.

August 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Not PC

So Ann is a closet gay supporter. Does anyone know if she understands 'bean speak", you know, Spanish?

August 29, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  47. jamie

Romney was required to file a financial disclosure form, less detailed than taxes, when he filed for president. In fact, he argued that he should have to release his taxes because the disclosure form showed everything important. But 23 different investment funds shown on his taxes did not appear on his disclosure form - and 11 of those are in those overseas, secret banking centers. That's a sign of what he's embarrassed to reveal - and it's also a felony, if the government can prove it was deliberate and not just a sloppy oversight.

August 29, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Jamie

Romney and Ryan .......... Laurel and Hardy of the 21st century

August 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • jellylee2020

You are too kind. They are more like the Beavis and Butthead of the 20th century.

August 29, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Repulitards

Yet another example of how out-of-touch and obtuse the Republitards are. Hilarious.

August 29, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

In the same line you use a disparaging and cliche´ term and call someone else "obtuse"? Now that's irony.

August 29, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  50. monkeycig

are they having s-x..just asking

August 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Philip

I think the show's creator is overlooking the little fact that marriage laws are decided at the state level, not federal.

And besides, this show will be cancelled shortly. It is among the most stupid and unwatchable on television, and that is saying a LOT.

August 29, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jess

How wrong you are !
      Modern Family is one of the best shows ever.

August 29, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

I think you are missing the fact that major change is often happened at the federal level...In fact, most major rights civil rights change has come about through the Supreme Court– and the President appoint the S.C. Justices. And, what about the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA)? You are showing ignorance– but I would expect that from someone against gay marriage in the first place.

August 29, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenny b

It is the most popular sitcom on tv! How can you say it's "unwatched?". Maybe you don't watch it, but millions of viewers tune in each week.

August 29, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phyllis

How out of touch you are; Modern Family is one of the highest rated, critically appreciated shows on television. Even the wife of your fearless leader loves it.

August 29, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Garett

Philip, because YOU don't like a show because of YOUR prejudices doesn't mean America is about to cancel one of the top-rated comedies. Not to insult you, but you have to be kind of an idiot to think its about to be cancelled.

August 30, 2012 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  52. Tracie

People should just be nice to each other. No sense at all in being mean. Kindness counts.

August 29, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Darn

People just love each other don't do these things. we need more mr. and miss peace with us

August 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  54. jude

Perhaps Ann doesn't remember that her Church poured millions into the California proposition to defeat gay marriage. Hypocrisy, writ large–that's the Republican Party.

August 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  55. just_a_moderate

Ok, that is awesome. I don't care where you come in on the political spectrum, but I'm with Levitan on this one.

That's probably the coolest political pimp slap in history.

August 29, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Corporate takeover specialist of Kolob

If she can't officiate the gay wedding, maybe she can serve the eviction order on their home when they default on their mortgage.

August 29, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  57. DorisV

Had a good chuckle about Ann Romney officiating at Cam and Mitchell's wedding. I'm a fan of the show also. Don't think Ann would want to do that. If republicans want to do something positive, let them fix their platform on legal abortion and DOMA.

August 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Nate

It's a funny show. I kind of like it. If you haven't seen it, you might want to give it a try.

August 29, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Cora LDS

Hey ! Someone just threw me a peanut butter cup! Yes ! : ).

August 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Curious

@Cora – I heard that the way the young men and boys abstain for so long was that they had each other to "satisfy" themselves with. Is this not true then? And, do they have to continue to wear the magic underwear after they are married??

August 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cora LDS

i don't know. I'm a troll. Not a Mormon : ). I can tell you about trolls. We live under bridges and eat candy that nice people throw down to us : )

August 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Cora LDS

Dang. I ran out of trolley things to say. :I. People are people regardless of how we look or the color of our skin. To judge someone based on skin color or sxul preference is dumb. Almost as dumb as me trolling as a Mormon.

August 29, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • DENNA

Cora, you appear to have been joking. I really hope so. No one should ever live with that much hatred in their hearts.

August 29, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cora LDS

i was – or trolling. Plus hopefully showing how silly it is to dislike someone just because they are different. Everyone is different. That's what makes the world a funner better place. : )

August 29, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • ah...

@Cora- I've been enjoying your crazy little posts for a long time now. I can't believe these people didn't know you've been jerking their chain the whole time. Kudos to you!

August 29, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  62. DENNA

Oh my goodness, Cora. You did not just say you are a Mormon. You may want to keep that one under your hat since one of your kind is trying to trick the country into voting for him. Oddly, he's a Republican too. My, my. I am a Christian, but we have a Mormon in the family. She is a wonderful young woman. YOU must be a rogue.

August 29, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim D.

I assume your church also taught you to discriminate by referring to Mormons as "your kind".

August 31, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Friend's of Cora

My magic (LDS issued) underwear makes me feel pretty. I might wanna get two or three wives or husbands...

August 29, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brady

You might want to educate yourself on LDS beliefs before you come on here and make a fool of yourself.

September 12, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  64. Cora LDS

I respect and like the colored folk myself. They have many good singers and play excellent basketball.

August 29, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • DENNA

Cora, don't forget that one of those "colored" is the POTUS. Ha ha. He also plays basketball. I guess you can be smart, handsome, success and play basketball too.

August 29, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tree

Reck Neck Remark.........

August 29, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  65. DENNA

Cora, Cora of Utah. You are absolutely funny. I haven't read anything so stupid since the 1950s. I am glad to know where you live. I will be sure not to come to Utah. I hope you don't work in the hospitility industry. You don't speak well of that state.

August 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Tom

Angry ANN-toinette could star in DESPERATE HOUSE WIVES OF THE 1%.

August 29, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Elizabeth D

I have many wonderful lesbean friends that are also very conservative. You should see how they dress. Men's suits just do not look comfy to me.

August 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  68. DENNA

Wow Cora. You are lucky that stupid isn't a fatal disease. You would be terminal. You have GOT to be a Republican/Christian Conservative.

August 29, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cora LDS

Im a Mormon. Not a Christian. Plus I am a member of the Holistic Church of America.

August 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  69. DERP AFTER DERP AFTER DERP

shut up cora–we say black not colored-in the office you would terminated on the spot.

August 29, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cora

i don't work at the office. When Steve Carrell left, so did I. Plus the paper industry is slowing down.

August 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  70. SIMP

@Cora"s comment
    CNN how in the hell could you even let a commet like that get on the blogs, I know this station is pro repubs but now you morons along with that stupid cora are way over the top.

August 29, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cora LDS

My comments are both timely and newsworthy. I find them to be interesting.

August 29, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

Pro-repubs? You're joking, right? Or are you just stupid?

September 21, 2012 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  71. DEANNA

I find it hard to believe that Mitt even allows her to watch the show since it prominently highlights a gay family. The GOP do not seem to care for gay people.

August 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cora LDS

He shouldn't. He should forbid it. Gays and coloreds spread disease.

August 29, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • just_a_moderate

I fine it more amazing that they met at a dance. Sinners.

August 29, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  72. wendy

Yes said the liberal,I'll be glad to offer you a role, as long as you agree with me. And CNN, where is your coverage for Mia Love??????

August 29, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  73. cameron

So many funny comments. I need to tell my conservative gay friends that I hate them. It will be news to both of us. Stop with the generalizations you sound like bigots. Not all gays fit anyones sterotype. My gay friends never want to be married. So just because they dont should i assume none do? No. So please everyone stop trying to be a spokeman for what america gays think or want. Dont be ignorant and say only what you think or want.

August 29, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cora LDS

Gays would be ok if they just didn't act so kweeeer. Especially the swishy ones. Im glad we don't allow them here in Utah the Beautiful. We are a gay free zone.

August 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • @Cameron

If your conservative gay friends don't want to get married, that's fine and no one would force them to if gay marriage became legal nationwide. However, the option should be available to gay couples who DO want to get married.

August 29, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Isley

Cameron – I find it funny that you are speaking for gays while telling everyone else not to. It is irrelevant whether or not "your gay friends" want to get married. They should and WILL have the right to do so. Idiot.

August 29, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  74. REG in AZ

Ann Romney’s presentation should be considered a wonderful speech but when all is said and done, that really is meaningless. It isn’t anything against her, just that while she obviously thinks highly of her husband, that really has little meaning for his credibility.

August 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  75. RealityBites

ABC?? I haven't watch ABC since its progressive take over in 1996. Ann shouldn't watch(=support) such a bias media outlet.

August 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff--Tacoma

Yea, you should stick to something fair and balanced...like fox. (I wish there was a scarcasm font)

August 29, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Cora LDS

All you Lesbeans seem gay to me.

August 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Mina

so don't watch it...

August 29, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Thomas

This is the dumbest show on tv. Everyone is tired of these adult cartoons. The talking baby named Stewie is dumb, but the cigar smoking dog is just rediculous. This isn't the show for me.

August 29, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Offers..

2nd offer .. 1st offer was after 879

August 29, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Ryan

Isn't gay marriage legal in multiple states?

August 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • REG in AZ

.... or is it .... Multiple marriages in gay states? (sorry, I couldn't resist the pun)

August 29, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

It's legal in 6 states and illegal in 33. Do the math.

August 30, 2012 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  81. sayer

I like the offer.

August 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Peter

Republicans may not "hate" gays, but they sure aren't willing to treat them like human beings.

August 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cora

Its not really the gays, but is the coloreds we dont care for. They seem shiftless and lazy and are always drinking something hidden in a brown paper bag. Plus I heard lots of them sell drugs. Beware of colored people.

August 29, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  83. palintwit

If I was Bristol Palin I'd drive over to the nearest meat processing plant and get in line with the rest of the heifers.

August 29, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Matt

The gay couple on Modern Family is horribly stereotypical, I don't think that it's doing much to support the cause of gay marriage.

August 29, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alan

Jesse Tyler Ferguson is actually gay and he seems to be ok with the role.

August 29, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mikie

Stereotypes? Actually, every single character on Modern Family is a stereotype, and there's nothing wrong with that. It is, afterall, a sitcom. If the characters weren't flawed, there would be much less comedy potential in the show. There also exist at least dozens of different gay stereotypes. Cam and Mitch just represent a sliver of that. I say it is progress that writers no longer seem to think they have to walk on eggshells with gay characters. Real people are flawed, too, which is why the these stereotypes are funny in the first place. Underneath all that, on Modern Family, the characters basically still care about each other. No one's humanity is dismissed just because of their flaws, stereotype or not; and that's an important factor. Personally, I had a friend in graduate school very much like Cam. And I'm not exactly "John-Wayne-butch" myself.

But but a digression from the topic! Ann Romney just illustrates that the Republican Party has a social problem on its hands. Like it or not, social tolerance, at least, if not full acceptance, LGBT is growing, and the GOP's embrace of far-right-wing rapidly Gay-phobic religious nuts is starting to prove increasingly costly to them with undecided voters. In the short-term, I hope it helps the GOP lose. In the longer term, I hope it motivates them to change their political priorities.

August 30, 2012 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  85. Midwesterner

Please don't ruin a good show by having Ann Romney guest-star!!!

August 29, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Jeff--Tacoma

I don't care if you hate me or love me; just treat me equally under the law.

August 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

The law says One Man and One Woman. I can't do anything about your personal choices, but you are being treated equally under the law.

August 30, 2012 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

You are being treated equally. Both of us can marry women.

August 31, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Clay Houser

You are not being treated equally. If the law discriminates, then it's legal to discriminate but it does not mean that someone who is legally discriminated against is being treated equally, only lawfully.

September 7, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Pander Bear

Ann loves gay folks – fictional gay folks. Real ones, not so much.

August 29, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1twinsfan

Bingo! Fake gay folks and a couple of immigrant Colombians are just fine.

August 29, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Dave

many people are full of hate – we need to stay clear of that.

August 29, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  89. patNY

If you are against gay marriage you are against and hate gays. Period.

August 29, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • sancho

That is a ridiculous and counterproductive statement. There are many people on both sides of this debate who are full or hate, and there are many who don't have an ounce of hate in them.

August 29, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie

That's SO not true! Ever heard of the phrase, "we'll agree to disagree"? Perhaps everyone should be more open-minded instead of always pointing fingers at people. You can like someone and disagree with them on other issues, that doesn't make either person a bad person.You're beliefs are'nt the only ones and neither are mine or Ann Romneys or the guy from Modern Family. To each their own.

August 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer@patny

You sound heterophobic. I think you need professional help to get over this.

August 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • fred

so, what you're telling me, is that if I hate lying, I hate people who lie. So therefore, I hate everybody. Period!

August 29, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • just_a_moderate

No, they don't hate gays, they just think of them as lesser creatures who are more akin to animals than people.

So I guess that's actually far worse than hate.

August 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  90. John

being twisted up with an old idea of marriage does not equal "hatred of gay folks"

August 29, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  91. Tati

News Flash: Republican's do not hate gays and we love Modern Family.

August 29, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Well

maybe not all of you, but most of you hate gay folks.

August 29, 2012 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • DENNA

Republicans don't hate gays? Wow. You people need a better public relations program to let the rest of us know how tolerant you are. It seems like everytime I read about someone being upset about gay marriage, gay adoption, gay life, the person claims to be a conservative. A conservative is a Republican, right?

August 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

You don't hate gays. You just think being gay is a sin and gay marriage is wrong. I've heard this from a couple Christian acquaintences when they were discussing gay people. It goes something like....love the sinner, but hate the sin.

September 21, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |