Nicole Kidman: 'Paperboy' peeing scene 'made total sense'
August 23rd, 2012

Nicole Kidman: 'Paperboy' peeing scene 'made total sense'

Michelle Rodriguez doesn't think it'll earn her an Oscar nod, but at least this particular scene in the upcoming Lee Daniels film "The Paperboy" is garnering Nicole Kidman plenty of press.

The tidal wave of headlines first emerged from this year's Cannes, with critics making mention of a scene in which Kidman urinates on her co-star Zac Efron, whose character at that moment had been stung by a jellyfish.

In a memorable review, Vulture's Kyle Buchanan accurately predicted that "when it comes to the wild, must-discuss moments from this year's fest, nothing will ever top the scene ... where Nicole Kidman looms over a supine Zac Efron, cries out, 'If anyone's gonna pee on him, it's gonna be me,' and then squirts an impressive stream of urine onto the 'High School Musical' star's face and chest."

We'll pause as you try to un-imagine that.

OK, moving on.

So Kidman talked about that infamous scene with V magazine for its new issue, reportedly saying that she didn't find "the peeing thing" to be "weird" because she was in character. The 45-year-old actress portrays a woman named Charlotte who's obsessed with a death row inmate (played by John Cusack) and rides along with brothers Ward (Matthew McConaughey) and Jack (Efron) who are investigating the inmate's case.

When it came time to pee on Efron, Kidman told V magazine, she felt it said a lot about the type of woman she was portraying.

"That was for the jellyfish," she explained. "And for me, it said so much about Charlotte. One, she's protecting him. Two, she's tough as nails and no one else is going to pee on this guy. All of that made total sense to me. I just went for it and didn't overthink it."

"The Paperboy" is expected to open in limited release October 5.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. MOCasea

On thing this article fails to mention, and should always be mentioned when speaking of a medically relevant subject, is if you are stung by a jellyfish always seek professional medical attention as soon as possible. There are many issues and complications that can arise from a jellyfish sting, and even if the pain has been treated, or subsided, there is always the chance of further medical issues.

The Box Jellyfish is a great example of this. You can treat the pain, but the venom is still there and still capable of killing.

September 18, 2012 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. susan

To me, it removes the class from classy.

September 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. John

That scene is factual. When we were teenagers we had an excursion at an isolated beach. One of our girlfriends got stung by a jelly fish. There was no immediate help available. The locals told us to pee on the affected site. Our girlfriend got relieved from her excruciating pain.

September 14, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mickey

Maybe she wanted Zac to see her genitals, because of what happened when he was with Vanessa.

September 13, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mickey

Regardless, this is definitely a strange piece of news to have on Cnn.com ... !

September 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Andrew

I LOVE Kidman, but this is just a storyline from Friends.

September 13, 2012 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  6. xfiler93

aww, another deviant and degenerate movie from Hollyweird. classy.

September 10, 2012 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. LeRoy Jones

I'd LOVE to do her DOGGIE style.

September 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. HBar

She had a peeing scene in Eyes Wide Shut as well. Must be a thing with her.
    Whatever. If this movie is half a boring as The Hours, it'll need a wake-up shot.

September 7, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DrinkNicolesJuices

I'd drink her flavorful yellow Kool-Aid! MMMnnnnn!

September 4, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kobrakai7474

Truth be told, I never "got" the whole Nicole Kidman thing. Even when she was a younger woman before she went with the frozen botox face, she just never struck me as particularly attractive, especially by the standards of Hollywood. I am NOT saying she is ugly or anything of the sort. I am just saying that she is incredibly average. Off the top of my head, I can think of 100 women in her age group who are exponentially more attractive... and probably thousands of women if we also consider the current crop of Hollywood starlets and celebutards.

September 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. kobrakai7474

The real question is whether Ms. Kidman and and Master Efron are truly method actors. In other words, did she actually do it? ...or are we talking about some CGI and other assorted Hollywood tricks that make it appear as if she actually did the deed when in reality, the two were never even in the same room while the scene was being created. Inquiring minds want to know.

September 4, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  12. razzirockett

Here in Texas, if you get stung by a jellyfish or step in bullnettle barefooted, you BEG for someone to pee on the affected area. Sorry folks, it's no big deal. It's truly a legitimate remedy to help take out the sting.

September 2, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • kobrakai7474

I am no expert, but, by all accounts, the idea of peeing on a jellyfish sting is an old wives tale with absolutely no scientific or medical merit at all.

September 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

I've heard of it, though I'm skeptical... but then again, I've never been in a situation where it could have helped.

September 5, 2012 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Seola

It's a middle of the road thing. It's not the best method, but fresh water makes it worse, and the best treatment is lidocaine and hot water NOT cold water. Well, who carries numbing meds and bathwater to the beach? The warmer the liquid the better and urine is *ick factor gag* extremely warm and nearly sterile. So it's not that it *should* be used or is the best treatment, but without the methods that are best sitting next to you, it's better than cold, fresh water to clean the area. But from what I remember when I searched this years and years ago – there are different types of Jellyfish, with completely different stings. There's one or two rarer kinds when it *could* be best and there's one or two kinds where it can make it worse.

September 14, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
    • GD

That's right kobrakai7474 you're no expert. I'm a dive instructor and in lieu of having vinegar handy, it is absolutely the thing to do. No wives tale here

September 15, 2012 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • pasinez

Thanks Margarette, where ever you are, for peeing on me when we were children. Despite the pain, I can still remember your giggles. Folks, it's folk medicine and it works on any surface sting containing protein because it's acidic
      like vinegar.

September 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Q

It's already been done! Watch The Heartbreak Kid. Why copy another movie?

September 2, 2012 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  14. cole

Yeah, so did she really pee or not? I mean she is a professional actress, would seem strange. Sorry , she can pee on me as well any old time. I saw on survival guy show , the one with the ex British Commando soldier, Bear Grylss , whatever, yeah peeing will stop cat fish stings, but jelly fish i think you are supposed to use vinegar.

August 31, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. LJ

I wish Nicole would pee on MY face.

August 31, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  16. salmon Sweet

BOTOX
    BOTOX
    BOTOX
    BOTOX

August 31, 2012 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  17. Strike 2

beautiful woman

August 31, 2012 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  18. Rob

How is this a big deal? Who gives a flying f***
    I s**t on them...

August 30, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Hugh Jass

This story p's me off.

August 30, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  20. Karenw

This doesn't suprise me at all for an Australian who are VERY familiar with box jelly fish on their beaches. Urine takes the sting out and thats well known there. I mean, men swim in pantyhose to avoid getting stung. Urinating is very practical and readily available when someone is in excruciating pain.

August 30, 2012 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
    • mlg4035

After seeing the all the brouhaha being made out of this, I'm beginning to think common sense is becoming more and more less common!
      It's nice to see a comment that actually makes sense – thanks for your post!

September 1, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • mlg4035

"more and more less common" – Sorry for the poor wording, please read: "less and less common".
      Thanks

September 1, 2012 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • GD

Spot on. Vinegar is the other home remedy but when you're on a beach, its kinda hard to come by!

September 15, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  21. frank

remember when movies were really good, and DIDN'T have CGI or weird peeing scenes in them ?

August 29, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • gallopagus

Yeah, like Deliverance where Ned Beatty runs around squealing like a pig just before he gets raped. Those were the good ol' days, so fresh and innocent. Not weird at all.

August 30, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Jim

Congrats to film for perpetuating a stupid urban myth. Urine will not help a jellyfish sting.

August 29, 2012 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Phillip

Exactly. We have the show "Friends" for exposing to the masses this ridiculous myth. No one should ever do that.

August 30, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
    • gallopagus

Current medical opinion is still trying to take an official position on this. The one thing you should NOT do, they agree, is put fresh water on a jellyfish sting. That activates the barbs, causing more pain and the release of the toxins. Personally, meat tenderizer always seems to make my stings feel better, but there's no medical evidence to confirm if it really does. No one's ever tried to pee on me, so I can't speak to that. :)

August 30, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • j

congrats for bring a moron, and yes it does

September 2, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • GD

It's no myth and I hope you remember that the next time you're stung by a jelly

September 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • MOCaseA

The science is varied and numerous on this topic. In general though the slightly acidic nature of urine would work to neutralize the venom from most jellyfish stings, although not all jellyfish stings will react the same. Similar to vinegar, uric acid changes the Ph of urine and would act in the same manner, providing an absence of vinegar.

Me, I actually carry a small bottle of distilled vinegar (about 30x more concentrated than standard household vinegar) whenever I am going to a beach for a swim. Mix a capful of it with a cup of water from the site of the incident and viola, a good immediate remedy for a jellyfish sting. You can get distilled vinegar at most commercial food stores.

September 18, 2012 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  23. mendrys

What's the big deal? It was done on Friends for the same reason, except it wasn't as graphic as this scene is I'm sure.

August 28, 2012 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Nicole

hmmmm. nicole is white right?

August 28, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  25. sir

nasty hoe

August 28, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  26. joe dokes

Guess that peeing scene was foreplay for Nicole and Zac to do the nasty in her trailer afterward?

August 28, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  27. gee

nobody had that figured out it was fake.....thanks for the clarification

August 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  28. DuhPeople

It was FAKE people. Fake urine attached to a hose and some sharp film editing. Don't get so worked up about 3rd grade humor.

August 27, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • mendrys

Not according to Nicole it wasn't. No big deal anyway. It was done on Friends for the same reason but not as graphic I'm sure. Still, really not a big deal at all.

August 28, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Buck

maybe some nude sunbathing..i hate those tanning beds. lol

August 27, 2012 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  30. menoc

A little sun would not hurt . . .

August 26, 2012 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  31. heated

sounds like a good bonus

August 26, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. C Bauer

I heard when the DVD comes out, there will be a bonus scene where she gives him a Cleveland Steamer as well.

August 26, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  33. bruceb

I'd take a jelly fish sting for Nicole Kidman! Like to have a few beers with her first.

August 26, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  34. aj

I'm not one for a golden shower, but she can pee on me any day.

August 26, 2012 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  35. KidmanLady

she too light skinned for you right?

August 25, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  36. W.Dam

she's beatiful and alot of guys are very attracted to her.

August 25, 2012 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Harry Houdini

Heck, she can pee on me anytime, any frkn time she wants. Love me some Nicole! Just the idea of her peeing on me gets my schlong rock hard.....

August 25, 2012 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  38. rachel

Kidman: Yuck. I'm SO sick of her.

August 25, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  39. danielwalldammit

I hope that scene is at least partly commedy.

August 25, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jon

Just wondering. Were his eyes open?

August 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  41. ok

i have never gone in for this type of watersports,in her case,i would make an acception.

August 24, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Rob

Acting? Why would she call it 'acting' and 'being in character' if all she has to do it pull down her panties and pee. Jeesh. Anyone can do that! And many would be arrested for being paid to do it on film in public.

August 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Huh

WAIT A SEC! So I know movies are make-believe, but are they saying that she really did pee on him for the scene? Because if it was staged, as I'm sure it was, then why would they ask her it it was hard to do that scene?

If it's fake, then it's fake!

August 24, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • maria

That is exactly what I was thinking. Although they make it sound like she really did pee on him, which is gross and unnecessary.

August 25, 2012 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  44. Meh

I knew she was a squirter

August 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Rippman?

Belmont? i've been to queens many times...

August 24, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Rippman?

what are we thinking female ...

August 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Eric Rippman

Jay Berkman imarried Donna Belmont of Belmont Trcuking company.

August 24, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  48. Eric Rippman

Jay Berkman is right to take on evil Bernard madoff!

August 24, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  49. Leon Peris

This lady should be married to Tom Cruise!

August 24, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  50. Poota

she's old and dried up .. it may not fit poota standards.

August 24, 2012 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • really

actually poota.....she is not old,and you dont even come near of her pee on you standards.....

August 24, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  51. clamLouie

She is looking good these days. If'n she wants to pee on me, I guess that would be okay. Fire away Nicole sweetie.

August 24, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  52. YOUR JUST A FAT WHALE

666

August 24, 2012 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  53. Jethro

i gots a big dinger for the ladies paawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-they luvs me!

August 24, 2012 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
  54. JL

If my GF would do that for me, I'd ask her to marry me. And there better not be any jellyfish involved...that would just be too weird.

August 24, 2012 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  55. Sokman

You couldn't afford for me to plss on you...

August 23, 2012 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Please

i don't need any flag to freak–not keep quiet before i call jerry toughy.

August 23, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  57. IndianaGreg

Dang...let your freak-flag-fly!

August 23, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  58. P-Fire

the man of my dreams.

August 23, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Big Shiz

If you want to pi ss on someone just hit up Sokman. He likes that sort of thing,might charge you though.

August 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  60. bigkid.

i told just him there will be no casting for the part.

August 23, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  61. TheThornbird

get cracking or cinderfella wins.

August 23, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Leah

Nicole is so beautiful. I'm so happy for her. Once she got away from freaky-man she really bloosomed. Her and Keith sure make a lovely couple too

August 23, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Richard Chamberlain

Wonder how Efron feels about it?
    In any watersport story, shouldn't the victim be interviewed?
    And where was the concern when I made Shogun?

August 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Dart

Nicole looks great.

August 23, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Pliny

Tinkle tinkle little star

August 23, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Mikee

Hilarious that it totally made sense to pee on a jellyfish sting, even though any real doctor or anyone that understands biology can tell you that peeing on a jellyfish sting will only make it worse.

But yeah, to a Hollywood ignoramus, perpetuating a myth totally made sense.

August 23, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • mdmann

The story didn't say ANYTHING to the effect that the character she was playing understood that peeing on a jellyfish sting was not effective. So what is up with your comment? If the character believes this would work, then the actress playing that character is well within their rights to say that it makes sense. She's the one playing the character, not you.

Since when does everything that every character does in a movie have to be 100% correct? Are people 100% correct about everything in real life? Christ!

August 24, 2012 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  67. 1%

I once had a hot Aussie girlfriend who was into peeing. This brings back a lot of memories. Golden memories.

August 23, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Jack

Hello folks. Everyone is cordially invited to visit – thestarofkaduri.com

August 23, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Keith?

sure Keith sure.

August 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  70. P

-so if people watch a little p its their business. i'm sure you take a peek every so often

August 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Eww

Did she actually pee on him?

August 23, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Mormon Joe

They should put her in jail for p orno. Gross. Plus she is oooold and dried up.

August 23, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Jermaine?

ugh

August 23, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Jermaine Washington

I still wouldn't want her to do number 1 on me though. That is gross.

August 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Jermaine Washington

My stars she is a gorgeous looking lady. Is she still married to the country music redneck?

August 23, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • bakerm

Keith Urban is definitely not a redneck, just because he is considered a country music singer, he is not a redneck!

August 23, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • trish

yeeehaw. Whars my chewin tobacky? Let's put on some Keith Urban and drank some beers.

August 23, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |