August 22nd, 2012

Michael Strahan on 'Live! With Kelly': An opportunity to have fun

If you were rooting for "Live! With Kelly's" frequent guest co-host Michael Strahan to join Kelly Ripa on the show, your wish just might be ABC's command.

According to Broadcasting & Cable, the former NFL star is expected to be the new co-host on the morning program.

It'd be wise to leave at least a little room for doubt that Strahan is in for sure, however, as reps from ABC and "Live!" aren't commenting on "any co-host speculation."

Earlier this week, it was announced that Ripa will join her new co-host on September 4, after months of guessing games on who would take the venerated spot left vacant by Regis Philbin. He departed the show last November.

At one point, "SNL" star Seth Meyers was said to be in the lead, along with Strahan and Josh Groban, but Meyers quickly swatted away that gossip.

According to USA Today, Strahan is one of 59 co-hosts who were given a test run in the months following Philbin's departure. The football great is expected to continue to work as a co-host on Fox's "NFL Sunday," flying out to Los Angeles on the weekends.

In May, Strahan told "Showbiz Tonight" that he didn't view the open gig with "Live!" as "replacing Regis [Philbin.]"

"If you put it in that aspect, it's just too big," he said. "I just look at it as an opportunity to go on TV and tell stories and have fun and entertain myself and other people, and not look at the big magnitude and scope of it. ... I think the show fits my personality."

Filed under: television

1. rico

Should have never let Regis go...still should be Live with Regis and Kelly

September 4, 2012 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  2. Vicki and jon

Bye bye Kelly won't watch you any more. Why Michael Stranhan not Josh brogan . This is not about Regis but Michael is bland. A bad choice. Boring.

August 30, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • marianne

Do you notice how Kellly constantly fidgets with her hair? Always swiping at her bangs. Tries to put one side of her hair behind her ear. Drives me insane. Distracting and annoying. Same with Hoda, Kathy Lee, and Rachael Ray.
      I had to quit watching her because she is constanly wiping at her hair and then handles her food. Ugh.

September 6, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. movingon

It's great the TV stations are trying to get hosts that represent a strong cross-section of America. However, Kelly needs a strong co-host who can give her some decent parenting suggestions – esp about the constant bashing of her poor daughter. Someone who has an interesting home life, since the first 20 minutes of this show are just silly gab. Mike seems like a nice guy – just not strong enough of a personality to be interesting for the next 20 years. Was rooting for Rob Lowe with his quick wit. Gerry OConnell would be great. Now the TV stays off after GMA.

August 28, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. Kelly and Michael

the 2 hosts have chemistry and she adores him..so they will be great co-workers.

August 26, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • mrbzns

I can't believe they took a year and this is the choice they came up with. Of all the co-hosts, he was the worst. I couldn't watch when he was co-hosting. I love Kelly, but I don't know it I will be able to continue watching.

August 27, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  5. Julie

I won't watch anymore. Bad choice. There were so many better choices, Nick, Anderson, Josh, Seth, Joel, Jerry. Kelly will look so skinny next to him and I don't like his gap tooth. What was Live thinking?

August 25, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. MandyVA

Great Job ABC I will be recording this show on my dvr love kelly and great choice with the new guy!!!

August 25, 2012 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jamie

sorry loved the show but will move on not a fan !!!!

August 25, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. jeanne

YEA!!! I voted for Michael. He has such a wonderful smile, and he and Kelly seem to have such great chemistry. He will be a great asset to the show. I have to admit I watched "Live" more regularly with Regis on the show, and somehow, I think I will once again watch the show on a more regular basis with Michael as co-host. Once again, YEA!!!

August 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ABCTV

we love ABCTV and its a great move for Mike.. he should be great

August 24, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. Leon Peris

We are proud of his courage and conviction.

August 24, 2012 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. just keep quiet...and don't move your mouth too much today

jerk

August 24, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. INSULT

DON'T YOU INSULT MY UPBRINING FAT WHALE–TIN CUP...

August 24, 2012 at 6:53 am | Report abuse |
  13. YOUR A FAT WHALE

HACKER

August 24, 2012 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. TIN CUP?

YOUR A FAT WHALE AND DON'T INSULT PEOPLE. FAT WHALE

August 24, 2012 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. YOUR A FAT WHALE

DONT ABUSE PEOPLE BY HACKING INTO THEIR SYSTEMS.
    YOU FAT WHALE...

August 24, 2012 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |
  16. hacking is not kosher

you fat whale.

August 24, 2012 at 6:41 am | Report abuse |
  17. YOUR JUST A LAZY WHALE

don't you ever insult where i come either...YOU FAT WHALE-

August 24, 2012 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  18. YOUR JUST A FAT WHALE

tin cup?

August 24, 2012 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  19. what a desperate whale

how pathetic can one be.

August 24, 2012 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  20. Hotmail and Computer and Hacking

be quiet and blog nice...

August 24, 2012 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
  21. tin cup

whale right?

August 24, 2012 at 6:08 am | Report abuse |
  22. this tracked

Sokman

Tin cup? I'm so proud for you that you can actually afford tin now. That musta cost what, couple dozen gigs worth of pay? Dude, you suck. Your blogging sucks. Your threats to our white wives & daughters suck. How can anyone assume if you're in a band it does anything but suck? Learn from me. I don't suck

August 24, 2012 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  23. gee pawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

i isssssssssssssssss a idiot right? pawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

jerk

August 24, 2012 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  24. Sadness

abc easy as 123

August 24, 2012 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  25. MineYourOwnBusiness

this is just blogging if you do not like what people have to say then get off the site. my uncle works for abc and is number 1 at what he does, if your whale self is jealous of that then get off the site. (large butt)

August 24, 2012 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
  26. Sokman

August 23, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Michael

live has been taping before the kathie lee days...my uncle works for abc ffor the last 20 yrs.. I've seen regis live since i was in my 20's. Michael is funny and i believe he is a new fresh start for live

August 23, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sue R.

IIve been taping this show since the Kathie Lee days..........but Michael is not entertaining so
    will have to find another talk show. Will miss "Live"!!!!

August 23, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr E

I agree with you 100%. Who ever decided this move with Strahan just put a fork into the best morning show. Poor Regis!!! We are moving on to another channel and show. So long Kelly.

August 24, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  29. Dwayne

1%, I trust you know that you lost the civil war!!! This is the 21st century; Black people can even be President of United States. Who knew??? BTW, I never delivered papers and/or breakfast.

August 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Sherry

If he is the new co-host;I will not be watching this talk show anymore! Goodbye Kelly!

August 23, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  31. deanna

who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 23, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jack

Hello folks. Everyone is cordially invited to visit – thestarofkaduri.com

August 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. miss reege.

regis is great..he walks over to the fans line before heading into the studio and says good morning, talks to the entire audience in between commericals talks to the guys about sports, whos pretty in the audience (lol).

i miss him he's a fun guy.

August 23, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  34. K&M

Regis did not sign on because he didn't receive the salary he requested or he would have still been there.
    Michael can handle it.

August 23, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  35. vickie williamson

Big Mistake. I won't watch anymore. As far as I'm concerned, you should have kept Regis. He makes the show

August 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Live---

i am definately watching the show when i can-i think it will be funny. these 2 hosts are going to give it a bang zoom...ratings will rise very fast–

August 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Gorge

she looks great to me you wished you look the that in the morning.

August 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Elaine Greene

I think this is the worse decision, Michael and Kelly are awkard towards each other in every way. I have watched Kelly from the first day she started AMC and I followed her to live. She has lost her down to earth looks. She looks like she has had too much facial work done, she is too glamours, it is not Kelly that I know and loved. I liked have different co-hosts, it made it interesting to see the energy with different co-hosts. I probably will not watch Live anymore, TV in the am and pm are really starting to suck, ever since they took away AMC and OLTL, and put on those stupid talk shows and cooking shows, BORING, I guess it will be Nate in the morning.

August 23, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • hwkymom

My exact feelings!!! Only show on TV I would watch, liked Kelly on her own.

August 28, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  39. Folks

hol means howling out loud from urban dictionary...

August 23, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  40. Reege

Kelly is a strong woman and does what she wants.

August 23, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  41. hol

done with Kelly if he gets it have the time she is talking about one thing and he goes off on something else

August 23, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  42. Michael

this guy is hysterical and ratings will through the roof, kelly has worked very hard on her own and she did keep ratings at normal range. I miss regis but Michael has confidence and works well with kelly and can do this.

August 23, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  43. Sokman

Hiding? Hardly. Hey I bought tickets to your next gig man... wait, these are car wash tokens... Make sure you get the mirrors clean this time boy. And tell your buddy DJ ProHack to quit stealing the change from my cupholder

August 23, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

Haha your dumb a s s dont even know what your talking about. Thats cool we'll pass the tin cup around at my next gig so you can have some food money,mabey get your self a cot to sleep on.

August 23, 2012 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  44. Michael

michael needs to be educated a little more.

August 23, 2012 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  45. Gee

You have lost a viewer.....He might be a nice man, BUT NOT for this job....Sorry Kelly, this is a really bad move

August 23, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  46. Denise

Of all of the co-hosts I have seen on the show, I like Michael Strahan the best. He and Kelly have great chemistry. I can tell she really likes him. I think he will be a great addition to the show. I like his personality. Michael, I hope you get the job.

August 23, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  47. Freckles

I've watch the show forever. I liked Kathy-lee, and I was an all my children fan so Kelly was a good choice for regis to make. But Michael Strahan. I will not watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When he was a guest co-host I would change the channel. Sorry Kelly I love ya but I won't watch him.

August 23, 2012 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  48. Hey!

Nick Lachey should have gotton the job, but i like michael!

August 23, 2012 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
  49. Bere

What happen with nick lachey l like him with Kelly not Michael

August 23, 2012 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  50. Marsha

Ok. Your right. I probably have seen this show less than 4 or 5 times in my life. I'm always at work then. Thankfully. I love being at work in the daytime so I dont have to watch things like this ! YES. ! OtayOtay.

August 22, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  51. B Schwabe

I'll never watch again, no talent must be a bad Joke of all the co-host he was one of the worst.I guess political correctness
    runs ABC .This will be a disaster

August 22, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jack

Greetings folks. Everyone is cordially invited to visit – thestarofkaduri.com

August 22, 2012 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Sandy

If Michael is the new co-host, I'm gone. I watched Kelly since AMC and followed her to Live. I never watched Rigis and Kathy Lee. I cannot take watching Michael every morning. Once in a while was okay. My choice was Seth Meyers. If he's not to co-host I will start watching The Today Show or The Doctors, anybody but him. As much as I care about Kelly, I won't be able to stomach it. I hope I'm not saying goodbye.

August 22, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Joyce

Michael has been my #1 choice from the beginning. He is considerate, intelligent and has a sense of humor. Way to go ABC and Kelly.

August 22, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jalecia

He just acts too white. Maybe thats why all the ladies like him. He is a "safe" African American.

August 22, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  56. andra

i am also behind this guy...i've seen their chemistry and its very funny.

August 22, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  57. carol shadley

I am totally behind Michael! He was my choice from day 1. Way to go Michael!

August 22, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Judy?

you spelled the new co-hosts name wrong.

August 22, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lyn Jones

The show already is too boring – it really is "NEW YORK LIVE" with Kelly (the Emmy was for Regis NOT Kelly !!). Get rid of Kelly and Gelman and put a real AM show on that the nation, as a whole, likes and can relate to.

August 22, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  59. charliesheenwannabe

he's a hit in NY and the ratings go up when he's on..we like him

August 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Judy Tuder

I can't stand him!!! If he is on there, they have lost a viewer in me!! Michael Strayhand is an idiot and I couldn't stand to watch that big gapped grin every day!! I hope they change their minds!!

August 22, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lyn Jones

Who really cares – the show now is only a shill for network promotions of their own shows. You like Rippa ? Really !!

August 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Token

Why not Chris Brown. The ladies love him and he knows how to treat them. He would be incredible.

August 22, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Token

Im sorry. He really isn't that great.

August 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Sarah MIller

Great choice! I love Michea.l He's charming, sweet, funny and has great chemistry with Kelly. Can't wait for Sept. 4. Nice job, Gelman!

August 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jethro/dense/drives a truck

GEE PAWWW... WHY IS I SOOOO STUPID?

August 22, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  64. these are bloogers pretending to be the cast of roseanne.

yea Michael. go babe bo

August 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Connor

he's funny and great for ratings. New York is very happy he was chosen.

August 22, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Connor. R

he's funny and great for rating. New York is very happy he was chosen

August 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Marguerite(white)

i've been to the show more then a dozen times over the years and it was great being with regis..his personality was the same in front of the camera as backstage... regis was a fun guy and we miss him.

Michael will be great also and will blend right in. Michael is a very funny man also.

August 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Darlene

Love, love, love Michael Strahan! I'm a fan from his Sunday gig, but I've enjoyed his guest days on Live, hoping, hoping, hoping it will be Live with Kelly and Michael. Can't wait to see how Terry, Howie, and Jimmie rib him about his new partner.

August 22, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Beckie

I LOVE< LOVE< LOVE Michael Strahan. He is pefect as the new co-host. He & Kelly have great chemistry and you can tell that Kelly absolutely adores him. She always looks so sad when she has to say goodbye to him at the end of a show. I've voted for Michael from the beginning. I'll say it again....I LOVE THAT BIG BLACK MAN & I'm a little, white middle aged woman!!!!!!

August 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Rlg

STOP already with the negative comments. Good Luck to the new host whoever he may be!

August 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  71. NOBODY HAS ISSUES WITH A BLACK HOST

FOLKS THESE ARE THE TROLLS STARTING TROUBLE...JUST IGNORE THEM...EVERYONE LOVES MICHAEL

August 22, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Marsha

This guy is blander than melba toast. Way to boring for morning tv. He'll put everyone back to sleep.

August 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beckie

Shouldn't you be at your job at that hour???

August 22, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marsha

i can watch it in my iPhone : )

August 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marsha

on my iPhone. These things do everything ! I can even watch shows I recorded from Uverse while I'm supposed to be working ! Jan is so jealous.

August 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Danitra

August 22, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Marsha

We want Dave Chapelle.

August 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Mos Dr Jam

He is ok but not real enough for me. They need a real brother of color. Plenty of unknowns out there that would be great.

August 22, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  75. laydsmom

I have read other blogs and it is amazing the numbers of racist rants that are being posted. He is a man....Who just happens to be Black and big. So what! It does not rub off. I do not know if these people realize it or not but their lily white world is changing. By 2025 they will be in the minority just like the blacks...What will they do then? They need to wake up and recognize it's a new day and Kelly may have a new co-host who happens to be Black, but he is oh so funny,too! GOOD LUCK WISHES FOR MUCH SUCCESS!!!!!

August 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marsha

? Maybe they were deleted. I haven't saw a single negative comment. I do wish they would have chose someone not so boring though.

August 22, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1%

I imagine the whites will riot/live off welfare, just as previous minorities have done.

August 22, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

@1% I hope you have a daughter becuse if you do she will end up with a black man poping out brown babies.

August 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • @BigShiz

Here you are agian. Where have you been? fluffing beiber before his concerts so he looks like a "big man"? How's the hip-hop group thing coming? still not famous after all these years? good thing you have that full-time gig at McDonald's."You want fries with that?"ROTFLMAO at you.

August 22, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • 1%

If my daughter is "poping" babies I've got a lot more to worry about than the color of their skin.

August 22, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Shiz

Hey sokman you can sok my cok.keep hiding,sissy.

August 23, 2012 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  76. correction

we knew he was the guy weeks ago. best of luck. it will be great MICHAEL
    paul was the guy at jbook..

August 22, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  77. YOUR ITALIAN

we knew he was the guy weeks ago. best of luck. it will be great paul

August 22, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  78. TALK TO JUDY

I HAD A MEETING SCHEDULED WITH Maw & Go AND FAT PIG...I JUST DID THE KISS KISS AND YOU WERE GOING TO FINISH THE DEAL AND I WAS GOING TO PICK UP THE TAB...FAT PIG.

August 22, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  79. FAT PIG

....GET OFF THE COMPUTER.

August 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  80. 1%

Wont work. White America doesn't want to see a large black man that early in the morning. Unless he's bringing the paper or breakfast.

August 22, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Mos Dr Jam

This is gonna be the bomb ! We need more African American brothers on tv. Let's get jiggy with it !

August 22, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |