Dealing with daddy issues on 'Louie'
August 17th, 2012

Dealing with daddy issues on 'Louie'

On last night’s episode, Louie finally confronted his father. Or rather, his daddy issues.

Father is the one role Louie always seems comfortable in: He doesn’t hesitate to tell Jane to stop playing the violin and start her homework. Even when she protests, “But it’s beautiful.” (Is there anything Ursula Parker can’t do?)

After an unsuccessful trip to an electronics store, Louie went to lunch with his uncle at the Russian Tea Room. His uncle (F. Murray Abraham) shamed Louie into visiting his lonely father for he first time in two years.

Louie tried to relax at a poker game with some comedian friends. Nick PaPaolo told Sarah Silverman to sell her boobs on eBay for $7. “Yeah but shipping would be like 5 bucks. I’d clear $2. And then I’d also have big bloody holes where my t*** used to be.” Good point. Then Louie vomited on the table.

His reply when his doctor asked if he had any new stress in his life? “Alone in the world, might as well be a maggot sucking a dead cat's face, what's the point, but nothing new.” his physician instructed Louie to contemplate visiting his father in order to quell his stress.

Louie decided to go.

When he failed to accelerate after a light turned green, the “ignoramus” in the car behind Louie got out to “staht something.” (We’re in Boston now. Try and keep up.)

Louie explained that he was stressed about seeing his father for the first time in two years. “I haven’t seen my dad since he died … Why don’t you think about that you queer?” They hugged. (As a native of Massachusetts, I can honestly say this exchange is the most realistic portrayal of Boston I have ever seen.)

Louie ended up bolting after finally making it to his father’s house. He hopped on a three-wheel motorcycle and rode it all the way to the water. He ran down the pier and dove into a speedboat (awesomely named “Cigarette Top Gun”).

As he sped away, sad music began to play. He stopped the boat, let out a sigh of relief and laughed before throwing his arms in the air and yelling “Woo!”

Alone in the Atlantic, he was able to really think about what had happened. And, of course, ponder how he might get back to New York on a stolen boat.

What did you think about last night’s episode?

Post by:
Filed under: Louie • television • TV recaps

1. icons designs

Can be

September 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Angga

All in all, the Church has the same conspiracy of siencle that Moderate Muslims demonstrate towards the Jihadis in their midst.Benedict is not accmoplishing much by chastising the Irish church.How about actually defrocking some Priests?

September 21, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. flavius j

I think the boat scene was a metaphor for Louis' desire to put as much distance between himself and his father. In no way was it literally happening. One would think a tv reviewer should be able to see this...

August 23, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOUIE

BEST SHOW ON TV.....Louis CK FINALLY gets the success he deserves!!!

August 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Pharmc992

Hello! ededggk interesting ededggk site! I'm really like it! Very, very ededggk good!

August 22, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pharma872

Hello! dagaafa interesting dagaafa site! I'm really like it! Very, very dagaafa good!

August 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Beatlejeff

Louise CK is excellent and his show is so amazing!!! I will boycott any cancellation threat!!

August 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Rand0m411

CK is brilliant. Not one of his better episodes, but the show as a whole is amazing. I think more information on why he didn't want to see his Father would have helped the plot and made the ending make more sense.

August 20, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. who shifted this comment this was from another article

be careful:

ho carea

my uncle said the old way is best ... The old fashioned foot up the ass works also.

August 19, 2012 at 6:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. Stephanie

I think that this show is one of the best that there is. I've been a long time fan of Louie C.K. This show is so much better than his HBO one. He's brilliant I just hope that he's not Sarah Silvermen's boyfriend. She's cute, but best as a standup. Not my taste, but I guess people like her. I just know that Jimmy Kimmel is way better since they broke up.

August 19, 2012 at 4:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. Who carea

August 17, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Snorlax

A very stupid show. Thankfully, cancellation is imminent.

August 17, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • tib

i quickly made an account to reply to your comment.

1.) you must have awful taste in shows.
      2.) go watch something else.

August 17, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Soz

Cancellation? Louie is one of the most viewed shows on the FX Network and was in most publications top ten shows of the year polls. Including CNN. The show is quite amazing. Totally different. I guess you are a fan of formulaic shows.

August 19, 2012 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
    • zazelsodo

I don't know if anyone else has responded to the "cancellation imminent" comment, but FX has basically come out and said that Louie can continue doing his show, exactly as he's doing it, for as long as he wants to do it. It was guaranteed two more years as well. So, it's not going away for a while.

August 22, 2012 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jack (Bee Bop) Clauss

A good whack on the bottom will help most kids behave.

August 17, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Michael Caliazzo

Daddy is a tough job for all of us.

August 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. julieb

this show is just a masterpiece. Louie is a brilliant comedian, but his acting chops are superb as well. He's writing alot of this I'm sure, so it shows what a talent he is.

August 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |