Whitney Houston's work will live on in theaters this weekend as her final film, "Sparkle," bows August 17.
The remake centers on three sisters who discover the challenges presented by fame when their Motown-era girl group takes off.
Here's what else you shouldn't miss this week:
- AMC's "Hell on Wheels" returns for a second season tonight at 9 p.m. ET.
- Shark Week kicks off on the Discovery Channel with "Air Jaws Apocalypse" at 9 p.m. ET.
- After the closing ceremony for the 2012 Summer Olympics, NBC will air the pilot episode of one of its new fall shows, "Animal Practice," which stars Justin Kirk as a veterinarian with questionable people skills.
- Over on Comedy Central at 10 p.m. ET, the heat will be on Roseanne Barr with the "Roast of Roseanne."
- Watch Todd Palin, Laila Ali, Dean Cain, Nick Lachey and more compete in military-style challenges on the new reality show "Stars Earn Stripes" at 8 p.m. on NBC.
- Kyra Sedgwick's "The Closer" closes out its seven-season run on TNT at 9 p.m. ET.
- At 10 p.m. ET on TNT, "The Closer's" spinoff, "Major Crimes," will debut.
- Also at 10 p.m. ET, NBC will air the second season premiere of "Grimm."
- "Cosmopolis" star Robert Pattinson will be on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" at 11:00 p.m. ET on Comedy Central; Andy Samberg will be on "Letterman," which starts at 11:35 p.m. on CBS; and over on NBC at 11:35 p.m., First Lady Michelle Obama and Olympic champ Gabby Douglas will be on "The Tonight Show."
- Universal is releasing a Blu-ray and DVD edition of a digitally remastered and restored "Jaws." Other new DVD releases this week include the complete fifth season of "Dexter" and the complete third season of "Glee."
- In new music this week, there's "Anastasis," by Dead Can Dance; "Based on a T.R.U. Story," by 2 Chainz; "Southern Air," by Yellowcard; and "The Mighty Death Pop" by Insane Clown Posse.
- In new books, look out for "The Kingmaker's Daughter" from Philippa Gregory; "The Kill Order" from James Dashner; and "Robert Oppenheimer: His Life and Mind" from Ray Monk.
- Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton play a couple who desperately want a child and find themselves thrown into parenthood with the arrival of a mysterious little boy in "The Odd Life of Timothy Green."
- On Fox at 8 p.m. ET, 14 dancers will compete and four will be eliminated on "So You Think You Can Dance," which will also highlight a tribute to Mia Michaels.
- In late night, Kristen Bell will appear on "The Tonight Show" and Tracy Morgan will stop by "Letterman."
- Kelsey Grammer's Mayor Kane is back at work as season 2 of "Boss" launches on Starz at 9 p.m. ET.
- In theaters, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Jason Statham and Arnold Schwarzenegger star in "The Expendables 2," while Anna Kendrick and Christopher Mintz-Plasse lend voicework to "ParaNorman."
- Blockbuster hit "The Hunger Games" arrives on DVD and Blu-ray starting at midnight.