'Louie' reconciles with Marc Maron - again
August 10th, 2012

'Louie' reconciles with Marc Maron - again

On Thursday night’s “Louie,” the title character reconnected with an old friend and with a bizarre former acquaintance.

When Dolores approached Louie outside their children’s school, a flashback reminded us of their sexual encounter last season. (Dolores begged to be spanked, then collapsed sobbing.)

This time, Dolores was asking Louie to accompany her to IKEA. Their trip was less like the buoyant scene from “(500) Days of Summer” and more like Liz Lemon’s exasperating Valentine’s Day relationship test.

Dolores wanted Louie to share his opinion on a rug. “It’s fine. That’s the level of passion that a rug warrants ... It’s not coated with AIDS, and it’s not a portal to another place.”

She broke down weeping, again, and he tried to bury her under the covers of a child-sized bed. On the way home, she insisted on repaying him sexually, as promised. Disgusted, he agreed to accept at a later date.

The second half of the episode was only slightly less awkward. Maria Bamford called Louie to inform him that she had either given him crabs or contracted them from him. “So f*** you, or sorry. But I don’t know which one.”

After scrubbing himself down with medicated shampoo, a dejected Louie sat down to watch TV. He stumbled upon an old comedy show featuring a young, thin Louie with a full head of beautiful red hair.

He pulled up the face-time on his computer and looked back and forth from his current face to the young, handsome, presumably crab-free visage on TV. Sarah Silverman took the stage next, so he called her.

As they talked, Louie’s former best friend Marc Maron took the stage. Louie told Sarah that he and Marc hadn’t spoken in 10 years. When she asked why, he suddenly realized that the fight he had blamed on Marc for a decade was entirely his fault.

Louie visited Marc (No cats? Unrealistic!) and poured his heart out in an apology.

Marc listened patiently, and when Louie finally finished, said, “You came over here five years ago and said the exact same thing.”

“I did?” Louie asked.

“Yeah," Marc responded. "I mean, you cried that time, you didn’t cry this time, so that’s, I guess that’s something.”

Louie was at a loss for words, but Marc appeased him. “Look, I accepted that time, I don’t know, this time whatever.”

Part of the appeal of “Louie” is that it blurs the line between reality and fiction. Like last season’s Dane Cook confrontation, Louie and Marc’s reconciliation mirrored reality. (They patched things up on Marc’s WTF podcast.)

Though it’s fun to imagine these two, in real life, engaging in a “Groundhog Day”-like circle of apology, I hope that they’ve gone out for coffee as Marc suggested at the end of the episode. I also hope that real-life Louis has a better memory.

What did you think of last night’s episode?

Post by:
Filed under: Louie • television • TV recaps

1. jz

the show is awesome. But not for everyone. stay away if you are not into Seinfeld/Larry David type humor.

August 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Gail Saieva

Its fantastic as your other content : D, appreciate it for putting up. "Talent does what it can genius does what it must." by Edward George Bulwer-Lytton.

August 15, 2012 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  3. LOL

oh lord-somebody give me a drink please!

August 12, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff

I liked the show from the Beginning, Louis C.K. is Funny and Subtle and the same time, I admit to not seeing all the episodes.

August 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sokman

Oooh take that John H! You just got Served in the A! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, huh buddy? Thank you for the complimentary words 'Yet', if that is indeed your real name :-)

August 12, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  6. Warren

Louie is actually pretty good. I didn’t fee like checking it out either until one of my coworkers at Dish tired to talking me into watching it a million times. I watched it once with his Dish Remote Access app while we were fishing one day and have been watching it ever since. This episode isn’t the best out of all of them but if you can get a hold of
    the episode “blueberries” from last season I am sure you’ll enjoy it.

August 12, 2012 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sokman

The fact no one has posted here all day makes me glad I've never seen this show. It sounds horrible.

August 10, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • John H.

And you're so bored that you had nothing better to do with your miserable, lonely existence than troll your life away looking for articles about TV shows you've never even seen, yet feel the compulsion to disparage them? Wow. Do you get how sad you are? Everyone who reads your comment knows.

August 11, 2012 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Yet

you took the time to slam him. I happen to agree with Sokman. Nobody hardly ever comments when they post the "Louie" threads, and most of them are negative. I personally like Sokman's posts. Get some caffeine, maybe you won't be so agitated so early in the day.

August 11, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Greg

You should check out the show. It's actually quite funny.

August 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |