Mariah Carey talks her new single, 'Triumphant'
August 3rd, 2012

Mariah Carey talks her new single, 'Triumphant'

As if Mariah Carey's success wasn't enough to inspire "American Idol" contenders-to-be, the new "Idol" judge's latest single should offer plenty of motivation.

On Thursday, Carey's song "Triumphant (Get 'Em)" hit the radio, and, as expected, its lyrics encourage listeners to "reach for the stars."

"I wrote TRIUMPHANT when I was going through a difficult time & it helped me get through it," Carey said of the song last month. "When u hear it, pay attention 2 the lyrics."

The mom of twins added that this is a song that's "very close" to her heart, and co-writer/co-producer Bryan-Michael Cox said as much to MTV.

"This song is kind of inspirational," Cox said. "I think her fans are going to really, really be emotionally attached to this song."

Carey collaborated with rappers Meek Mill and Rick Ross on the single, and she said in a press call Thursday that Meek brought "an excitement, a newness to the record that is pretty rare right now," Billboard reports.

"Triumphant" is the first single off Carey's upcoming album, and she said Thursday that she's "collaborating with a lot of my favorite people" on the currently untitled record.

"The main thing is that I'm not trying to follow any particular trend," Carey said. "I want it to be well-received. I want to stay true to myself and the music that I love and make the fans happy."

Filed under: Celebrities • Mariah Carey

1. WHAT IS T. DELL 13...BRINGING IT IN..THANKS

June 23, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  2. 6000mah行動電源

Sorry, I not speak great english.you're in point of fact a just correct webmaster. The site loading velocity is amazing. It kind of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick. Also, The contents are masterpiece. you've done a magnificent activity in this matter! 6000mah行動電源 http://www.powerbankinfo.com

June 23, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. HP

Mariah created her best songs with her longtime collab partner Walter Afanasieff. Together – they produced magic. Beautiful ballads with soaring vocals and lyrics that were meaningful. Ever since – 1999s Rainbow – her career and music hasn't been the same. She traded her trademark power ballads to hip hop ditties that have her whispering her vocals with trashy rappers. She is thee voice but she neglects it in her music now – in order to keep up with the 20 Something Generation of Autotune Singers – who are surprisingly selling music – when it apparently sucks. Sorry MC. I'm a lamb for life. However, when this upcoming album does come out – I'll still buy it because I'm a fan.

August 15, 2012 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  4. Have the cd

she's still has the voice and she is not going anywhere for now!

August 7, 2012 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. mariah

She married a good guy and she seems very happy. nick seems like a sweet guy also.

August 7, 2012 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. MariahIsBack!

This album sold 6 million copies. The song is awesome! It's @ #1 in the US and climbing the charts in other countries. Mariah is back!

August 7, 2012 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
    • tahoegeminii

the album isn't out yet moron sheep-and this single has been called the "worst song ever" by most music critics

August 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Since 4th of July

same person tracking somebody....

August 6, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. BIGCONDOHKID

this is all the same person

August 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BIGCONDOHKID

she is a beaut.

August 6, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bebs

GO-GO-GO Mariah.....nice

August 6, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Meh

I was just listening to some Pink Floyd and it made me forget she even exists...except for that sweet sweater meat.

August 6, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. Idol

she's going on tour after this..

August 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ben

Everyone should pay attention to a much better version of this song: the Vintage Throwback Remix. Stone winner!

August 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jorge C

I am a fan of Mariahs but this just isn't very good. Jermaine Dupre knew what he was doing. Emancipation was more mature and was the direction she should have stayed in. The more often she releases material trying to compete with younger artists, the less relevant she will become. Madonna did the same thing and looked ridiculous. Mariah still is a great songwriter, too bad her new experiences as a mother haven't inspired her to write anything better than this. Lets hope this was only released as an ad for her new job on American Idol and wasn't a serious attempt at a single.

August 5, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. Miss Thing

I liked her music much better when she was white.

August 5, 2012 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  16. Julie

I agree with "Why This?" All I can understand is "reach for the stars" and "get 'em." Can't hardly hear her as much as I can the two rappers. Should've been the rapper's song feat. MC like WT said. Not a fan. I also don't see what Nick has to do with her changing or failure or whatever you want to call it, she's been in with rappers since she left Tommy. Not Nick's fault!

August 5, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  17. @Dude

Well Nicki Minaj is sure as hell not a singer! She's a rapper! My point is her music is garbage, just like the rap infused pop music thats out today.

August 5, 2012 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  18. Why this?

This is a horrible song that she calls a single. I don't care how good the lyrics are, this is horribly produced! It sounds more like Ross and Meek ft. Mariah Carey. You can't even hear her voice as clear as it should sound. Sorry but this fails big time!

August 5, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  19. maria

i bought the cd and its awsome..her singing is still amazing and she looks awsome

August 4, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Really

You bought the cd? It's not even out yet. What are you smoking?

August 5, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • tahoegeminii

AGAIN-the CD/Album whatever you want to call it IS NOT OUT yet-so you didn't buy it-obviously a lot of PAID FOR commentating going on here-Does MeMe seriously think that paid for blog comments and her spewing how wonderful she is will make this trash sell?-pay attention to the words? the words make no sense -they are a random toss up of every cheesy 2nd grade cliche-it is quite possibly the "worst song ever"

August 8, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  20. LOCATIONS

we are in all locations as soon as we figure it out we'll decide what's next.
    weak ... no your weak that's why you live this way.

August 4, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  21. someone is in my home computer

COMPUTER OFF TO THE AUTHORIES.

August 4, 2012 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply

JAFF

You would think she would have heard it coming.

August 4, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply

having fun

harassment charge whoever this is.

August 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse | Reply

Dan

August 4, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Leon David Peris

We need to LOVE her much more.

August 4, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  23. Dominica

you wish you looked like her and sang like her.

August 4, 2012 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  24. Dreadful Music Reprised

Ms Carey's return to the music scene is neither triumphant or anything stellar. She basically sounds the same and looks the same – the cover has the same vibe as before "come look at my beautiful body and my triumphant knockers". DREADFUL!

August 4, 2012 at 2:40 am | Report abuse |
  25. Mimi

Omg, Mariah Cannon looking amazing!

August 3, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Come on guys

This actually might top the charts. The truth is rap is still the biggest genre in music. If the garbage that Nicki Minaj puts out can top the charts then this definitely has a chance. I'm a fan of her older work, but not this.

August 3, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dude

Nicki Minaj is definitely not rap, she's a freaken pop artist, lol! Rap is a dead hoodrat art

August 3, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Careygirl

album is right on TOP ..... first week sales were the largest amount of cd's she has ever sold in her career..it will
    double plat. shorlty.

August 3, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ironman666

she really needs to get rid of nick cannon she really gone down hill ever since she hook up with him he 's a real getto trach and he trying to make her in to one to she needs to back to when she had class

August 3, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Samantha

I have always been a fan of Mariah since her 1st album came out in 1990. Over the years some songs have been great, others ok, and some just plain suck...I heard this song and thought it was awful....what happened??? Big fail. I hope she has other worthwhile songs on this album b/c if this song is any indication the album will fail too...just saying.

August 3, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Redemption

redemption is great...love it. voice is still there and she can still reach the high notes. hope it does well.

August 3, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  31. BizarreRedemption

The regular version is okay but I like the Vintage Throwback Remix and Pulse Club Remix a lot better though. You get to hear her and ONLY her and she practically screams the whole track!!! She should release the remixes to mainstream radio because they will do good but I think this track will sure hit #1 on the dance chart!!!

August 3, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  32. KJS11

Same old same old. Nothing new or creative. Not surprising though. When I heard she was making a new album I knew it would be boring and predictable. The thing is, she just doesn't care. She wants to make music that SHE likes. Not music that other people will like. She expects us to buy any crap she puts out just cause her name is on it. Well sorry MC. I didn't buy your last album (that Christmas mess) and I won't be buying this one. You need to swallow your pride and go back to Tommy Mottola on your hands and knees and ask him to help you make good music again.

August 3, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • B-Ran

In all honesty though, that would make her a complete SELL OUT! So in the sense that she's doing what she wants (even though it SUCKS) makes me take my hat off to her. Cudos Mariah on making your own SUCKY music. lol

August 3, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  33. B-Ran

She seriously said "Working with Ross and Meek on the same record was incredible," Carey added. "Obviously, Ross is a star and everybody loves him. I'm a fan of his music. I really, really wanted to work with him. ... I always like to do collaborations that people might think are different."

Um Hello?! But if you've heard one ghetto rapper, you've heard em ALLLLL! Something different would be if she made a song with like Ke$ha or freakin Paris Hilton, lol! It might suck, but I don't think anyone would argue that it would be different!

August 3, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  34. da boys

alot of pressure..go home pumpkin. no more junk

August 3, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  35. marina

I love mariah and that voice

August 3, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. SAME SONG

the song never ends..

August 3, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  37. everyone

no change and still a big pile of sh-t

August 3, 2012 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Patty456

she's a great singer and will make it through this one also.

August 3, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Puggie123

its all crap

August 3, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  40. ah...

I've never been a fan. She is too much of a diva for my taste. I thought the song sucked, too. She should stay on her own, and leave the rap out of it.

August 3, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Horrible Song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This song will never be a hit...EVER! Mark my words but I bet it won't even make a dent on the charts and she will release a second single by the end of September / early October. Get it together Mariah! This song is awful and your fans are demanding more out of you than this nonsense (read your Facebook and You Tube comments). We (the fans/lambs) love you but we want you to do better. All of it from the song to cover art (especially) is dated, embarassing and most of all HORRIBLE!!!!!!

August 3, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  42. B-Ran

Omg that song SUCKED!!! I was so hyped for it! It freakin BLEW!!! Mariah needs to get it together and stay away from those whack A$$ no talent rappers!

August 3, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • L

Meek has crazy talent. Get a clue.

August 3, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • B-Ran

Crazy talent, huh? Well I guess all you ghetto's have got to stick together! lol I stand by what I said, they have ZERO talent! Mariah needs to disconnected and stay away from all that trash!

August 3, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  43. old fox

she's still a beaut! love that makeup job!

August 3, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  44. mierda apestosa

she needs a mushroom stamp on that cute little forehead.

August 3, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Puppy123, happy123, Alfredo1, 6395, bayridge

In the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit amen.

August 3, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |