What Steven Tyler loved (and hated) about 'Idol'
August 1st, 2012

What Steven Tyler loved (and hated) about 'Idol'

Now that he’s no longer judging “American Idol,” Steven Tyler is free to speak his mind about the gig.

"I loved it and hated it," Tyler told Rolling Stone. "It was a great job, I sat next to J. Lo and I made a ton of money. It was a moment in life and it became larger than life."

But the Aerosmith frontman, who has been hard at work on “Music from Another Dimension!,” due out in November, said the long hours got the best of him.

“It was just hard work: seven-hour days and then I went and did the [Aerosmith] album for eight hours after that.”

Mariah Carey revealed on Twitter that she’s judging the next season of the reality competition show, thought we’re still not sure who she’ll be sitting next to as Tyler and Jennifer Lopez won’t return.

Randy Jackson, however, is expected to be present for the twelfth season.

1. best video

i loved the partridge family as a kid

February 1, 2013 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. home fix

You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation however I find this topic to be actually something which I feel I would by no means understand. It seems too complex and extremely wide for me. I'm having a look forward for your subsequent post, I'll attempt to get the hold of it!

August 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • not our business

how did she know the partridge family video was on.....she's smarter then us....

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

February 1, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. PhilG

Good for you,Mr.Tyler.

Glad you got out before it became a real drag.

Go have some fun.

August 5, 2012 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. snowicane

"I made a ton of money"

Haha you don't know what a ton of money is.... I get money by da ton, erry day, and I mean ton as in 2000 POUNDS... SUCK IT. LINES OF TRUCKS COMIN IN DELIVERIN MONEY.

August 4, 2012 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. tryclyde

Mr. Tyler sure is using the word "work" loosely.

August 3, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. tryclyde

Who still buys Aerosmith albums?

August 3, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. Destiny

He did not work 15 hours on the show...the 15 was a total of the show and his other gig

August 3, 2012 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. LindaJay23

Sounds like this guy is overworked. And overpaid, maybe?

August 3, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Rob

When Tyler was military age he did work 36 hours straight. He had a job cleaning cocaine off of mirrors.

August 3, 2012 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. Al Bundy

I stopped watching because I hate the flippin SOB storeies, BOO HOO HOO my father died so I want you to pass me through for him, boo hoo my mother died so you have to pass me through for her, boo hoo hoo my dog died, my grandmother died, and the list is endless. I think that as soon as somebody comes up with a SOB story, they should be thrown out, not even allowed to sing.

August 2, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marji

One less loser to watch Idol is a given. Lighten up Dude – Tyler was having fun – – perhaps you should give it a try!

February 1, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tyler

What I hated about Idol?........ Everything

August 2, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. cb

Love Aerosmith!!!!11!!! but who's that hot older lady in the picture?

August 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. uNkNoWn

I like Tyler, but 15 hour days is nothing...try being in the military and working 36 hours straight...or being deployed...I'm tired of seeing everyone defend his measely 15 hours!!! STUPID...

August 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Walter

Tyler is 64 years old. Pretty much no one (if there is anyone at all) is in the military at that age, let alone working 36 hours straight. So now who's stupid. Oh yes, it's you.

August 2, 2012 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • AlkaSeltzaaaa!

Walter has a point.

August 3, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. xr

I think they need to get rid of Randy. That guy is waaaay too full of himself and for someone reason thinks we really care about his incredibly close-minded opinions.

August 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. star

I hope they get Ted Nugent to judge

August 2, 2012 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • AlkaSeltzaaaa!

Lol! Maybe he'll snap and just up and walk off the stage mid show. After screaming some repulican bs that is.

August 3, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. Michelle

Ok, 15 hour days are long ones for sure. But the man still made millions, and for what, all he ever said was "thats beautiful" Not exactly constructive critisism......They need to completely over haul the show, throw Randy out and get three judges with enough credibility, personality, and straight forward comments for this show to be good again.

August 2, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Kyle Felt

Eat Mor Cok

August 2, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mothra Twins

Why isn't anyone addressing the fact that he has stolen Bonnie Raitt's hair?

August 2, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  18. JasmineC

The Voice is better! Coming back next month! Idol annoys the heck out of me. The shows are too long, same routine and Ryan is annoying and predictable. the only parts i like is the beginning at tryouts and they show the crazies. after that, who cares.

August 2, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda77

Alcohol-drinkers are the largest terrorist group in America – destroying over 50,000 innocent lives on US Roads every year...

STOP the hypocrites – STOP the Republicans and Democrats – STOP the stupidity.

August 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  19. columbus

Now it's like the scene of an accident, you just have to look to see how bad it is.

August 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  20. me

So what if none of the "winners" of Idol have had "sustainable careers"? Do you really think the cast of How I Met Your Mother will ever be heard from again, other than NPH? They're barely recognizable now.

Maybe people watch Idol just to see some singing every week, just like in the old days with Ed Sullivan and other variety shows. It keeps a lot of people employed. Nobody but people on messageboards REALLY thinks it's a springboard to stardom.

August 2, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jack3

Jackson will never leave. he's an unknown except thru Idol. Where would he go...back to playing bass.

August 2, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  22. wmsmale

Hard work, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, stop it, ha ha ha ha ha ha, no really, stop it, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hah ha, come now, your kidding, ha ha ha ha ha ha hah.. hard work, sitting on your girlie ass, listiening to people trying, hoping to make it singing, hard work, ha ha ha ha ha ha, your kidding? right Tyler, lha ha ha ha ha ha , when the hell did you ever work hard???? horse mouth. Try some manual labor for a day. Try really really earning a living in stead of living a life of leisure, standing in front of a mike and singing (singing??????) and making millions. HARD WORK, YOU MAKE ME SICK.

August 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. LMR

I quit watching Idol awhile back and only resumed watching when Tyler became a judge. Now with Mariah on board, I know it's time to give it up all together. Bye, it's been (mostly) fun.

August 2, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  24. PRS22C

Hard work? Look like a fool on TV and then go make crappy music with a crappy band that hasn't had a decent song in 35 years and get super overpayed for both? Jerk.

August 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  25. DDSIlks

Idol should hang it up. The last few seasons have been pure sh**t

August 2, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Stern

They are changing judges every two seasons since the ratings hit rock-bottom. They jump start the ratings by changing judges since most people would want to watch it out of curiosity regarding dynamic of the new judges.

Too bad the show is an absolute garbage and has nothing to do with sustainable, talented musicians and singers. None of the past 8 season winner has had a sustainable career. Where did Crystal bowersox go?? Where did Taylor Hickst go?? Where did David Cook go?? All of these are forgetable. It is all about milking the cow.

August 2, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Transplanted58

Agree, but here's what's sad...Crystal Bowersox was NOT the winner, but you remembered her before the actual winner (Lee DeWyze...had to look it up...lol).

August 2, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jack 3

Gotta say...Crystal Bowersox was very good and a natural talent.

August 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew Melbourne

AI ratings may have slumped, but it's still the most watched show on television. That's hardly "rock-bottom."

Also, I'd challenge your claim that Idol doesn't make stars anymore. Even if we ignore the first few seasons: What about Jordan Sparks? Scotty McCreery? And beyond the winners, what about Adam Lambert? Daughtery? Katherine McPhee?

Your premise (that if a show is not the greatest thing ever, it is terrible) seems flawed.

August 2, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  27. jmikeh73

a little respect for Mr. Tyler please. one of the all time greats of hard rock. fantastic pipes on the guy.

and yes, Dude Looks Like a Lady, but have you seen his daughter?

August 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jane Doe

Actually just saw Aerosmith perform last week in Atlanta. Mr. Tyler was amazing. I've was never a big Aerosmith fan before, but I am now.

August 2, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Love Rhino

I thought he was going to say long haired lipstick-wearing trannies...but whatever

August 2, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  29. g

how a person is permitted to hoke is beyond me.

August 2, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  30. 3rd state

August 2, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  31. Dirt Bike Mike

And because of white people it aint safe to go to Penn State or the movies anymore

August 2, 2012 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  32. Just0r

When a show changes judges every season, i think its time to cancel it. Does anybody even watch this pointless garbage anymore? Only a hand full of american idol winners have ever gone to do anything worth a damn, waste of our time.

August 2, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  33. Tim

Really? 7 hour days? How did he do it?
    And he only got paid several million dollars...
    He should sue Fox for unfair labor practices.

August 2, 2012 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • JohnW

7 hrs, then he went and did the Aerosmith thing for 8 hrs afterward. You might want to try reading an entire sentence before commenting on it.

August 2, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • K

Perhaps you should re-read the ariticle. He stated 7 hours at Idol, followed by another 8 hours working on his next Aerosmith album. Add it up, that's 15 hours.

I think the majority of us would accept the paycheck.

August 2, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • read it

well hopefully they dont pay you to read because he said 7 hours plus another 8 hours at the studio. So thats 15 hour days. How many hours do you work at McDonalds?

August 2, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • marragor

Tim – LOL – was thinking same thing! Poor Mr. Tyler...

August 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • tryclyde

Please people, like working on his crappy album is such grueling work.

August 3, 2012 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  34. SMOOTH OVER

August 2, 2012 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  35. tyler hype

i hate steven tyler and he looks like a female

August 2, 2012 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr. Beepo

He looks like Melissa Rivers. In fact...have you ever seen them together? Makes you wonder......

August 2, 2012 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  36. kathy

I loved Steven Tyler on idol. I loved J Lo too. I think the last 2 yrs were my favorite. I dont know about Mariah Carey though. She always seemed like such a diva. Say what you want about Steven, hes been around for a long time so apparently hes doing something right. J Lo is such a good actress too. I dont care for her type of music but I really like her. Way to much negative comments on here. Dont we wish we all had their talent?

August 2, 2012 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Tim

J.Lo has no real talent.....except that she is good at keeping attention on herself.
      Steven Tyler is boring and old...and Mariah Carey seems like a desperate move to me....

I haven't watched in a long time – and will not watch this year.

August 2, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  37. ronjayaz

I always thought Steven Tyler was a good-looking chick till I learned he was a man. I guess I was living under a rock. And then I saw his looks at contestants, esp females, as leering.

August 1, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Bryan Ihrig

Who is Steven Tyler's geriatrician?

August 1, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Scourge

I was waiting to read that the thing he hated most about the show was realizing that the vast majority of singing performers could sing better than him! :-D

Cheers . . . Scourge

August 1, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • DDM

R U kidding? Dream On!

August 2, 2012 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • LiLa

Then you didn't hear Tyler perform Paul McCartney's music at the Kennedy Center Honors. He was fantastic. The dude can (still) sing.

August 2, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  40. RZ70

So there was an alleged interview and this is all there was? Normally you can't get Tyler to keep answers down to less than the length of the Gettysburg Address. He's typiclally every interviewers dream. Normally prep amounts to showing up. And this is all there was?

August 1, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Former Marine

Looks like this was just an excerpt from the Rolling Stones piece.

August 1, 2012 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Randall

Ryan Seacrest would be laughing at this comment... Ryan can hold 10 gigs without breaking a sweat. Suck it up, Mr. Tyler.

August 1, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • LoveTyler

Seacrest never goes on tour and sings all night long does he.......? He has NO idea what concert touring is like, do you?

August 2, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  42. its hard

some of us don't get to stay home all day

August 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jack

Hello folks. Everyone is invited to visit – thestarofkaduri.com

August 1, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  44. United Sheeps of America

White, welfare recipients are the majority in America, yet seem to confuse themselves with black people. Maybe it makes them feel better if they blame blacks first

August 1, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • RZ70

Proof?

August 1, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth

You got it wrong. White people with jobs are the majority. Black people with alcohol & drug problems are the major problem and the reason our cities are so unsafe. Never should have sent that first empty boat over to Africa looking for cotton-pickers. Big mistake.

August 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • C Smythe

Majority? Heeyah right, another example of 'mecan education failures . . .

August 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  45. gricha

Dudelookslikealadydadada

August 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  46. United Sheeps of America

Mentioned

August 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  47. United Sheeps of America

Funny how Pres.O and First Lady are mention in every single blog including the ones that have nothing to do with them. Hopefully you guys got 4 more years of hatred built up in.

August 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Mammy

Black, welfare recipients singing.

August 1, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Hes spoiled

Oh my...he had to work 7 hours a day at 1 job!!!! How awful for him...and to only get millions for that...ya really gotta feel for the guy.

August 1, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

You obviously didn't read the story.
      "seven-hour days and then I went and did the [Aerosmith] album for eight hours after that.” 15 hours days he was doing.

August 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • eddie boy

Jealous much? And yes, read before you judge

August 1, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Vdog

BTW... It's great to see Annette funicello up and around again.

August 1, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Vdog

They should get Obama or his "wife".... They are brilliant at creating moments on television. It could be the jewel in presidency that he will be long remembered for... Or perhaps the only thing he would be remembered for, besides he being the first half black president born outside the US.

August 1, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Iron Rod Jones

Is that man or woman looks feminine.

August 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  53. jujubeans

Yeah, he got to sit next to JLo! ( . Y . )

August 1, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |