Is Christian Grey more popular than Harry Potter?
August 1st, 2012

Is Christian Grey more popular than Harry Potter?

It seems Christian Grey has a larger following that Harry Potter these days.

E.L. James’ “Fifty Shades” trilogy series has sold more copies than J.K. Rowling’s seven “Harry Potter” books on Amazon.co.uk, according to the Press Association.

The report states that James has sold more than four million copies, making her the site’s best-selling author of all time.

Amazon’s Gordon Willoughby reportedly said, “If J.K. Rowling was the literary phenomenon of the last decade, then E.L. James looks certain to take that mantle in the current decade.”

Willoughby continued: “In just four months, E.L. James has become Amazon.co.uk’s biggest-selling author of all time, which is truly remarkable when you consider that we’ve been selling books for almost 14 years.”

And sales will likely spike again once the reported “Fifty Shades of Grey” movie is under way.

1. reading

how do you people read all day. you must have nothing to do.

August 2, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. scissors will send it over.

sending email if this goes into the wrong hands..i will punch you!

August 2, 2012 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. please..spare me

100,000 an hour .. .i would not be here if i made 100,000 an hour i'd be living in tuscany.

August 2, 2012 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. STud

harry potter had the number what did harry do with it. ...this is a blog not an investment banking deal. Harry has text now right?

August 2, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. danielle

These books are crap.... horribly written and just plain old ridiculous (CG: " I make a $100,000 and hour",Ana– fires up the mean machine –about a million times, she is a college grad in 2011 and does not have an email address, the writting is so adolesent- if you took out alld "whoa, arg, holy sh&t, his long fingers, my breath hitched, his breath hitch, are you mad at me, looked at him through my lashes- the book would be 50 pages.

No way does this Christian hold a flame to Harry (as in being and iconic literary figure) and the writer needs to stick to TV

August 2, 2012 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

you can't write either. your blog makes no sense. do you have college degree

August 2, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • rotorhead1871

Harry has been replaced....deal with it.......even...Captain Kirk... kicks Harrys butt!!

August 17, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Tina

stupid book and stupid people

August 2, 2012 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ledis Quetel

I think it's a good book, but it's nothing to go crazy with. I don't understand what the hype is.

August 2, 2012 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. vito

NY IP CHECK YOUR DONE.

August 2, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  9. tooch

folks toocy is making a point and answering herself again.

August 2, 2012 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. Billy Moses

Reblogged this on Billy Moses.

August 2, 2012 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. toocy

I agree w/ everything Mel B wrote about the 'Grey' books. I couldn't even finish the first one. It was very poorly written and the whole premise was faulty...if you're going to live the lifestyle do it because you want to, not to hold onto a man.

August 1, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. toocy

'A Child Called It', thanks for making my heart ache all over again. you're right, it's a hard book to forget.

August 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Reading

i basically read for a living by the end of the day i want to relax.

August 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Reading

I hate reading...i read for a living by the end of the day...i can't stand reading

August 1, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Sounds a great idea

i could definately take a ride cross country. pack up and just head out for awhile.

August 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jack

Hello folks. Everyone is invited to visit – thestarofkaduri.com

August 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mel B

This entire series is a poorly written and narrow view piece fan fiction that seeks to reconcile fantasies of the author with what she perceived as possible reasons why people who live a certain lifestyle choose to do so. It's Twilight for adults (as it was Twilight fan faction posted on internet boards before taken down and published) and reads at a junior high school level. This is not a tale about a "compromise" in a relationship as the female lead reluctantly "agrees" to certain things because she is merely fascinated and the male is emasculated by force into facing his demons and demanded to change nearly everything to accommodate her. It's fluff, plain and simple. I cringe when people rave about the book. Try reading Ann Rice's Beauty series and see if you don't get the same kicks. At least then you'll be reading at your age level without waiting for a sparkly vampire to appear.

August 1, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  18. sugar renae

Seriously? No. Not in a million years and here's why. I would imagine people would flip their stuff if this book became part of the literature course at elementary schools (the way harry potter has). 50 shades has been done before in various ways (The Secretary, Sleeping Beauty). Harry Potter was much more original even with the mythology that was borrowed.

August 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. B-Ran

I was actually thinking about that! Because I like to go on road trips, and I could just listen to the cd while goin cross country ;o)

August 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  20. murpis

I think the media is more obsessed with this book than actual people. People I know have stopped talking about it because it's old news in my town. Why can't the media move on?

August 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Melsisa

B-Ran; The book is an easy read because Ms. James doesn't try too hard to make it more than it is. While she doesn't like it being called "mommy p0rn", i find that it is as close to it as it can be. Borrow it and try it, if you don't like it or find that you can't keep up with it; put it down. But I am always for trying new books. Oh, and there is NO comparison to HP. I loved all the HP books and so did my 11 year old son (the age demographic they were written for). But these books are for adults and thus cannot be compared.

August 1, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  22. B-Ran

So someone like me, with reading ADD, would be able to keep up with it? lol

August 1, 2012 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Julie

There is no freaking comparison!!! The Potter series are incredibly imaginative and well written, 50 shades is trash...I'm reading it, and sort of enjoying it, but well written? not be a long shot...I can't believe anyone is even comparing the two...wow.

August 1, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. KT304

Disgusting. People do not buy the newly released online copies of HP books. Perhaps this is because there are hundreds of millions of copies in print. Not to mention the millions of copies sold at midnight release parties. It is a shame that a poorly written book about an abusive man is making such an impression on today's women. Does not seem like a great role model for young women today.

August 1, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  25. blackzestsolutions

So who is the real Christian Grey? I have wondered what other women think the esteemed character to look like. I set up a website called whoismrgrey to find out just this. So take a look and vote or upload images of your Mr Grey. Maybe its your husband! Or guy if you think your it, why not prove it! http://www.whoismrgrey.co.uk/who-is-your-mr-grey

August 1, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  26. B-Ran

I keep hearing about this book! I seriously HATE reading books! Just because I can never remember what I just read. I'll read a page and completely forget what the heck just happend! I only like books that SERIOUSLY catch my interest, lol! The last books i got through were like "Are You There Vodka, It's Me, Chelsea!" and " A Child Called It"
    So is this book honestly a good read? Or is it all hype? Anyone?

August 1, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melsisa

This book is a great read. It is at its heart a book about the evolution of a man and a woman and the compromises that they make to be together. It is NOT about an abusive man, but about a man that was abused. It is adequately written, and could use some tightening up in the plot lines. I have enjoyed all three books and have enjoyed some of the ideas that the book has given me to try with my husband.

August 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • B-Ran

lol so someone like me, with reading ADD, would be able to keep up with it?

August 1, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Readingfan

You can always get it on audible.com or buy it on CD, if you are not the book reading type-just an idea

August 1, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |