'Louie' dates Tape Recorder
July 27th, 2012

'Louie' dates Tape Recorder

[This post contains spoilers for the July 26 episode of "Louie."]

On last night's episode, Louie and Parker Posey’s character went out on a date. A really incredible date.

Though not necessarily in a good way.

Tape Recorder (I know her real name is Liz, but Tape Recorder suits her) took Louie to a bar. Unbeknownst to him, the bartender alluded that his date had a drinking problem. Mortified, she rushed out of the bar, claiming it was too crowded.

So they walked. As they strolled, she talked manically about battling cancer as a teenager. “I’m sorry I told you. I tell everything.”

She rushed into a vintage store and begged Louie to try on a sparkly gold one-shouldered gown. “Do you want to say a list of things to impress me, or do you want to try this on and let me really like you? Just for having the guts. Plus, I think it’ll look pretty on you.”

He reluctantly put on the dress and she howled with laughter before kissing him. He looked equal parts confused and delighted.

Back on the street, she finally asked Louie his name. She introduced herself as Tape Recorder. “Do people call you Tape?” Louie asked sincerely.

After feasting at a market, Tape Recorder said that she wanted to go to North Dakota. “I’ll never go. I just want to. I just want to keep desiring it.”

Louie dropped his leftovers next to a homeless man as a “more humane version of throwing it in the garbage.” Soon they were purchasing the man’s prescriptions and getting him a hotel room.

Next, Tape Recorder forced Louie to walk to the top of a building. When he complained, she screamed, “Do it! Get up! Now!”

At the top, she sat on the ledge, making Louie uncomfortable. “That’s why you’re afraid to come over here, because a tiny part of you wants to jump, because it would be so easy. But I don’t want to jump, so I’m not afraid. I would never do that. I’m having too good of a time.” They beamed at each other, radiant and fully alive.

But then her face dropped, and she looked back. She didn’t jump. Instead, she came back down to Earth, where her name is just Liz.

While Louie and Tape Recorder had a magical, if overwhelmingly strange, evening together, Louie and Liz clearly could never work. They went home where, presumably, Louie would fart for the rest of his life, alone.

Parker Posey’s performance as this damaged, free-spirited beauty was exhilarating and heartbreaking in equal measure. Liz wasn’t the sweet bookworm he imagined her to be. She was so much more, too much more. She could never be "Daddy’s girlfriend."

What did you think of Louie’s date with Parker Posey?

Post by:
Filed under: Louie • television • TV recaps

1. gingerann

i love this show! it works for me :)

;

August 2, 2012 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. this

Woah this weblog is fantastic i love reading your articles. Keep up the good paintings! You realize, many individuals are searching round for this info, you could help them greatly.

July 31, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  3. patrick

Slappy hooper....i got a great flick for you...its called Jack and Jill with Adam Sandler....i have a feeling it would be right up your alley.

July 30, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Sean

I will admit that if this is the first time you have ever seen Louie it may be hard to get behind but when taken in the context of the horrible blind date his friend set him up on (the oral scene in the truck) you would realize the genius that is Louie

August 3, 2012 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jack

Good evening folks. Everyone is cordially invited to visit ... thestarofkaduri.com

July 28, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  5. sam

The best half hour on TV. Sometimes I laugh sometimes I don't but it always rings true.

July 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Khain

I read somewhere that it was the worst episode he had, and his third season isn't matching up to the last two, when I think that statement is very false. Louie has been aspiring me for years, and I like a show that can have me on the floor peeing myself, but also having a moment of clarity and showing the viewer the realness of life in NY. I love Louis C.K and I shall follow him till the ends of the earth until he's on his 50th season of LOUIE. Way to go man, don't let these haters get you down ... you're amazing at what you do and any TRUE artist knows that. Keep it real guy.

July 28, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Trevor

It didn't make me laugh. I just want to laugh. HAHAHA. *chomp* *chomp* *chomp* HAHAHA. GOD I hate people. It's not supposed to be full of stupid one-liners and impossible situations. It's SMART.

July 27, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rebbeca

LOVE THIS SHOW!

July 27, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Slappy Hooper

Tried to watch. Made it to the first commercial break without having laughed once. Changed the channel because I found several other much funnier shows. Louie is just sad. Not funny.

July 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • dnothing

It's not about being funny or sad. It's about painting an accurate portrait of life and humanity. This isn't going to make you laugh for 30 minutes, but it's going to captivate you.

July 27, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Slappy Hooper

It did not "captivate" me. It bored me. I do not need TV entertainment to reflect the real life I watch TV to escape from. I think a show billed as a co medy

July 27, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Slappy Hooper

I think a show billed as a comedy should make me laugh, not make me cringe at how awkward it is.

July 27, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mimsy

Louie doesn't seem like a TV series. Every episode is an incredibly entertaining short movie.

July 27, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Billy

Seems like a funny yet dramatic show, I should watch it some time. I know someone who could be daddys gf though!;)

July 27, 2012 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |