'Life of Pi' trailer: What's the verdict?
July 25th, 2012

'Life of Pi' trailer: What's the verdict?

There was plenty of doubt that it could be done, but Oscar-winning director Ang Lee has adapted Yann Martel's best-seller "Life of Pi" to film, and on Wednesday, 20th Century Fox offered a first look.

The challenge for Lee, as Slate points out, was to tell a story that centers on a shipwrecked boy who's stuck on his vessel with a zebra, hyena, orangutan and, most memorably, a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker.

The two-minute clip gives an ample taste of what's to come in Lee's work, which will be in 3-D. The trailer depicts the ferocious storm that sets Pi, a zookeeper's son, off course from his family, and a series of beautifully shot scenes show his initial run-ins with the fearsome Richard Parker and the development of their bond.

"If the trailer is any indication, the movie is going to be gorgeous," said Time magazine, echoing the Wall Street Journal's lingering question of whether Lee will be able to infuse the film with the same emotional impact as Martel's book.

This is Lee's first time using 3-D, and the Hollywood Reporter suggests that between "Life of Pi," Baz Luhrmann's "The Great Gatsby" and Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" - the latter two of which open in December - there's "a good chance we'll see 3-D in a whole new way by the new year."

What do you think of the trailer? "Life of Pi" arrives in theaters November 21.

Filed under: movies • Trailer Park

1. Buy Cisco

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all people you really know what you're talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally discuss with my website =). We will have a hyperlink change contract among us

August 9, 2012 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. VITO RETIRED TROLL

LAY LOW PERIOD. I

July 30, 2012 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. Anthony

Hey here is something to pass around your social site..({})

July 29, 2012 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tigeress

i love a big tiger

July 29, 2012 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. branden

let me help.

July 27, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. magnet

thats for the fred willard cracks which are now being looked at very closely. you are a chick magnet that's for sure.

July 27, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. plugs

the plugs look much nicer in her hair. some .pepple need plugs before they go out and insult other females and wardrobe honey? you need work.

July 27, 2012 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. Paulie

wasn't able to download my HOT mobile adult videos free download? i have also waited...

July 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Forget the....

the wimp thing your one of the strongest met i've ever known !!!!! lmao

July 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. HEY BRANDEN

somebody is trying to be you and me also.....what a great summer i'm having..this is better then my boca raton and rhode island vacations. retracted 4( i think) ..i have to check my little idea tomorrow...i will never forget this summer for the rest of my life! - your idea is good but will take too long ... smooches.

July 26, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branden

Eh it's cool. Immitation is the greatest form of flattery

July 26, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wait Wait!

is this really branden or is it somebody else!

July 26, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branden

LOL I am the one and only! Anytime you see someone being overly flirty or GAY, thats the poser imposter! ;o)

July 26, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cleave

just have fun with blogging people...its just a blog?

July 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. PERIOD PATROL IS HERE-21

REMINDER TO ALL BLOGGERS DO NOT HIT REPLY TO NEGATIVE BLOGS ... JUST CREATE NEW ONE...AND RESPOND THAT WAY..

ALSO V AND LYDIA CONVERSATION DOES NOT MESH. TO NOT REPLY .BAD WEATHER FOLKS WE'RE ALL HOME. TONIGHT

July 26, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • PERIOD PATROL-21

SORRY DO NOT HIT THE REPLY BUTTON.

July 26, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr.Troll

Sucks. A horrible book. A total failure of a trailer.

0.2/10 (The tiger looks cool, otherwise 0/10)

July 28, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dia

its a decent book

July 26, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. TERRENCE

HE SEES YOU GET CASH OR A SLICE OF PIZZA HE GOES DUH ON YOU..BUT THIS HE'LL TELL THE ENTIRE CNN AND THE UNIVERSE. GO FIGURE–

July 26, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Barge and Tinker

Is anyone here from Pensacola? Did they film part of this here?

July 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  16. TERRENCE

SHUT UP

July 26, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • MOVIE

THAT'S WHY THE MOVIE GETS POSTPONED ALL THE TIME BECAUSE OF HIS BIG TRAP

July 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. v

is this the wrong review?

July 26, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

Amazing book. Can't imagine it translating to film, but it will be worth seeing just to see how any director can even try– almost the whole story is a boy and a tiger shipwrecked...how do you translate that?

July 26, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. tammy

he'll get his apology.

July 26, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  19. tammy

I never realized how many fans i had that day! - let me try boo. if you wanted to make a movie back then all you had to do was ask! LOL

July 26, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Joe

Haven't read the book, but saw the trailer and thought the guy was pretty mean to the Tiger. I hope the Tiger disembowels him and feasts on his innards.

July 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • S2EQ

If you read the book, it will make more sense. It's part of Pi's survival tactic. It's a really, really good book. Looking forward to seeing it come alive.

July 26, 2012 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Terrence

The book is going to be difficult to adapt but with CGI they might have a good change. I'm intrigued to see what happens on the "island".

July 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terrence

Sorry – I meant "chance". not "change".

July 26, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Autumn-bomb

Terrance – me, too! I loved the book and the island was really interesting to say the least. I'm also interested in how Lee will translate the huge twist at the end.

July 26, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • BIG MOUTH

AUTUMN BOMB HAS BEEN TRACKED...

July 26, 2012 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Headache

please spare me the fancy lingo its giving me a headache.

July 26, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Louretta Thugbottoms

The zebra is certainly a socialist with both black and white elements in him! Obviously a clandestine plot to make you vote for HUsein Obamamy .

July 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  24. National Velvet

the tearing is not from the actual moment - the tearing was from the way you viewed national velvet..
    that's why the tear comes out of the left eye. cnn must be having a field day.

July 26, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  25. LEE

don't get too comfy yet...my crew is not too enthused..but we'll get there.

July 26, 2012 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  26. Leexo

my crew is not so accomodating as i am, but that's part of the process of everyone forgiving everyone as opposed to hating

July 26, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  27. LEE

think before you react next time. i and the rest forgive you.

July 26, 2012 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  28. LEE

bad food shoutings going... most of these people were upset for me that why everyone went nutso.
    mine? (i had the right at that time to do it)-is going.

July 26, 2012 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Hey!

@Lee-this is why you shouldn't do drugs. Your brain is fried!

July 26, 2012 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • LEE

Lee doesn't do drugs. the crew who was present is removing also.

July 26, 2012 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
    • national velvet

DO NOT ACCUSE ANYONE OF DRUGS BECAUSE WE BOTH KNOW WHAT, WHO THE PARTIES WERE I'M DONE WITH THIS CHAPTER–SO DO NOT ACCUSE ANYONE OF DRUG TAMPERING..tracked.

July 26, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  29. fredrica

i agree there is nothing wrong with a little creativity in ones life.

July 26, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  30. JC

calling yourself a circle jerk? be proud.

ready for the movie

July 26, 2012 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  31. CJ

I watched the trailer again, you CAN see wood when he gets wet! Big Arab W A N G ! ! ! It turns out it is quite a gay film! Did I mention CJ is short for Circle J e r k ?

July 26, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • CJ

LOL – I'm being trolled by O B S E R V E R. Anything else that you may see with my name is suspect. He's probably doing the same thing to Fritzy as well.

July 26, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

He's clearly Indian – not Arab. And there IS a difference.

Sorry you're being trolled CJ!

July 26, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

I see no Feather Head-Dress or Tomahawk! Clearly ARAB!

July 26, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sanjit

REALLY inappropriate, troller. Try not to be such a stereotype.

July 26, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

That's getting old. How many of us have read this book?

July 26, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

Oh, I read the book alright! I especially like the part at the very end when they reveal that the animals may or may not have been other PEOPLE from the shipwreck and Pi was delusional the whole time! Kind of wish they didn't leave it up to interpretation, but OH WELL!

*Giggle!*

July 26, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brenda

Spoiler Alert! really CJ?!

July 26, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Lin

Reading, in my opinion, is more intra-active than movie watching. The brain, mind, imagination are called more into play in the reading process. The book works on a level that I'm not sure a movie would. No doubt the film is done extremely well, but having read the book, I'm not sure I would want to see someone else's interpretation of it. The book–the movie....each a separate art form. I have read some books and thought–hey, this would make a great movie. But not so sure the Life of Pi will translate to film and not lose something the book gives to each of us who dared to take that particular journey.

July 26, 2012 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  33. Jane

lol

July 26, 2012 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  34. paulie

the movie should wonderful.

July 26, 2012 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  35. Freddie

I read the book, loved it , and have been waiting for this movie for several years.

July 26, 2012 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  36. jc

this looks awsome

July 25, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Observer

You're one of those, h o m o s e x u a l, liberal hippies, aren't you? Go read a book, hug a tree and occupy a park, hippy!

July 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Observer

This was meant for BJ... errr... CJ and his little tirade paragraph... Hippy!

July 25, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  38. CJ

I've been waiting for this movie to be made for YEARS. It appears that they've tried to keep it true to the book so there's a good chance it could be fantastic. I'm not sure I remember glowing whales, but I'm open to a little creative license.

I'm glad Ang Lee was willing to tackle this!

July 25, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ozzy

It's not a glowing whale, so much as a whale breaching through the glowing algae...

July 25, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Jen

I used to teach Life of Pi when I taught 12th grade. I would always discuss the adaptation of books into movies with my students, and we would talk about whether or not this would work as a film. I'm not convinced this story will translate well (don't want to give away any spoilers!), but I may go check it out in theaters. The cinematography looks imaginative!

July 25, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Film Check Movie Reviews

Breathtaking. Magical. It looks like the kind of movie that will transport you into its world. A real escape and adventure.

July 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Tep

I first saw the trailer at The Dark Knight Rises screening last week here in Manila. On the big screen and in 2D, it looked breathtaking, and we were, like, "WOOOOOOW!" then the following day I bought the book. And oh my, it's beautifully written. Cant wait for December!

July 25, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Terence

Loved the book, but I thought the film would be unfilmable.
    I'm not convinced that I'm wrong.

July 25, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  43. National Velvet

you can't 3d from the computer duh.

July 25, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  44. fritzy

I hope his white pants get wet during the movie! I'd like to see how big his wood is!

July 25, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fritzy

Really! You are going to troll me? I think that kid looks a little young for me. I'm not into boys. I love the full grown fairies. So to the other fritzy, are you a grown up fairy? Do ya like to do the fairy dance? Maybe you're the one!

July 25, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Booo

I loved the book and I'm looking forward to this movie. Boo, the 3D aspect, however.

July 25, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Observer

Great. More gay, liberal c r a p...

July 25, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenn

How is this:
      1. Gay
      2. Liberal
      3. Crap

this was an amazing book about a person lost at sea, and i wont say more because i dont want to spoil it, but i found no liberal agenda. I only found a very touching story abou imagination and human spirit.

The only think liberal i see here is perhaps a liberal use of CGI.

July 25, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

Like Jenn, I was confused about what you meant. I don't see any of those things.

But then i had to revise my understanding of what you were saying. I realized you must be one of those people who defines things using small words.

So, if by 'gay' you mean: "This here ain't no movie for men like me! It don't got no guns, seven-minute fight scenes, or real men wearing camouflage and tanktops! I mean hayull, it's not even about sports" Then I'd have to agree, it's a a 'gay' movie. Definitely 'gay'.

And if by 'liberal' you mean that you're confused by the lack of speech in the trailer. And further, by the fact that the movie is actually based on an award-winning and widely ready novel (which is another term for a fictional book) then by all means, please be assured that it's 'liberal'.

And if by 'crap' you mean that there aren't any exploding helicopters, nor indications that the movie contains cameos by Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, or Bruce Willis then you are hopefully very much correct and you'll think the movie is 'crap'. I doubt there are aliens, nor robots either.

Overall I'm fairly certain there won't be helicopters, drug-deals, muzzle-loaders, nor (please God) an appearance by Seth Rogen. In which case your assessment is 100% accurate and you shouldn't see this film.

That said; I'd encourage you to read it first, but I would imagine you'll have to download the reading app for your iPad. That might force you to eliminate some of your country music and favorite American beer commercials and we really don't want you to feel oppressed in any way.

See you at the movies!

July 25, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • mucky much

Its the gay leftist agenda moved by comrade BamBam. Did you notice that the tiger walked to the left and has gay eyes?

July 26, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |