Lilith rises on 'True Blood'
July 23rd, 2012

Lilith rises on 'True Blood'

[This post contains spoilers to the July 22 episode of HBO's "True Blood."]

On Sunday's “True Blood,” the much-hyped super-villain Lilith finally rose.

After Russell killed the Guardian (Chris Meloni’s guest stint sure was short - I hope he’s happily humping a refrigerator somewhere), storm troopers rushed in to get the situation under control.

Bill and Eric tried to figure out who freed Russell, to which I say, really guys? Come on! Eric is smarter than this.

With Nora by her side, Salome confessed that she dug up Russell (duh), because he was the only vampire strong enough to destroy the Guardian. Russell clearly has little interest in the Sanguinista movement, but going along with it puts him in a position of power.

Salome, Nora and Russell threatened Bill, Eric and the remaining members of the Authority into joining them. One council member dared to dissent, and Russell killed him. Steve Newlin, on the other hand, said, “I’m like a tree in the wind. I am just so happy to be included.” They all drank Lilith’s ancient blood ...

... Which made them high as kites. They paraded through the French Quarter, whooping and dancing. Eric even gave Bill a piggyback ride!

Meanwhile, in Faery, Claude and another fairy tested Sookie’s magic, and informed her that her supply was depleting. Sookie’s no fool, and it dawned on her that if she ran out, she would be a normal human.

While visiting Luna at the hospital, she asked Sam, “say you could trade in what you are and give away everything that’s special about you for a plain old regular life - would you?”

Though being a shifter is difficult, Sam appreciates his heightened senses. He caught a scent in the hospital and attacked a doctor, who turned out to be Joe Bob.

Joe Bob is a member of Hoyt’s new crew, the Obama-masked killers, who actually refer to themselves as a “hate group.” Wise decision aligning yourself with them, dummy.

Hoyt’s ex-best friend Jason went to tell Jessica that he found out vampires killed his parents. She comforted him and then kissed him. He tasted blood, and was furious when she admitted he had interrupted a feeding. So he shot her in the head! Talk about a lover’s quarrel.

Lafayette went in search of Jesus, or rrather, his head. He found it, the mouth stitched shut just as it had appeared to him, in Jesus’ brujo grandfather’s house.

Don Bartolo stitched up Lala’s mouth. It was horrifying! He explained his plan to take Lafayette’s magic and give it to the unborn child writhing around in his wife’s belly. But then his wife stabbed him. Many, many times. She cut the stitches holding Lafayette’s mouth shut. That was a nice gesture, but knowing “True Blood,” she could be even more evil than her husband.

Lala’s crazy aunt went to see her daughter Tara at Fangtasia, where the new vamp was working a pole, leering at Pam. Lettie Mae told Tara she was dead to her. Kendra, get back to the control room immediately!

The wolf pack was experiencing some turmoil as well. Alcide was training/making out with his new No. 2 when Martha interrupted. She didn’t believe Alcide’s claim that current packmaster JD was a V addict.

Until she caught him trying to give V to Emma. Martha and Alcide may become unlikely allies.

Also, Arlene watched her wedding video and cried, while Terry sat in a field waiting for the fire monster, then almost killed himself. Does anyone care about this storyline? Seriously, tell us if you do in the comments.

After all she’s been through, the possibility of a normal human life was appealing to Sookie. So she tried to use up all her fairy magic, shooting it at the sky.

In a New Orleans karaoke bar, the vampires’ fun escalated a little too far. Russell stormed the stage to duet with a young blonde. The rest of the vampires rushed in and attacked the human patrons. It was a bloodbath.

And from that blood rose Lilith, very naked. It’s about time, lady! The vampires looked up and marveled, but when she roared they fed furiously, blinded by bloodlust.

Except Eric. He had a vision of Godric, who reminded him that killing humans is wrong. Godric said that Nora lacked Eric’s moral compass, so Eric would need to save his sister. When Eric looked up, Lilith was gone. Is she even real? Or just a vampire id hallucination?

Will Eric stop the vampire rampage and save Nora from herself? What did you think of last night’s episode?

Post by:
Filed under: television • True Blood • TV recaps

1. Cynthia

I think it was obvious from the flashback/energy work Sookie did that Russel killed Sookie's parents just as it was obvious that Salome dug up Russel. I think the vampire who killed Sookie's parent's thing is boring (yawn), so is the smoke monster side story. I'm interested in where they take the Lilith thing and Pam/Tara (never liked Tara until now), I like the medium storyline with Lafayette, but I just really do not like Lafayette the character at all (flamboyant gay drug dealer, creative) and wish it was a different character. I want to see more of Jess, for the superficial reason that she's hot as hell, and surprisingly I am getting into the Sam/Luna/Werewolf plotline... I always liked them but hated the werewolf tie in... I actually care in the context of the show what happens to Luna's daughter now... though I still find it tacked on. But then, that's how most of the show goes. I enjoyed the first season but thought it went downhill with the Maenad... I really liked Mary Ann and was disappointed with the ridiculous revelation. This show is okay, I watch it, I think it's better this season than it has been for a bit, but it has been a bit of a crapshoot.

August 6, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. B-Ran

CAN'T WAIT FOR TONIGHTS EPISODE!!!!!!!!! I hope they do like they did last season, a new episode every week, with no break gaps.

July 29, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Francis

I loved this episode. I watched the bar scene where O'Hare gets up and sings over and over again. Loved it!

July 27, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  4. pattiraiteri

Get RID of Terry's storyline. It is a stinker! Bring back Sookie's story as main character with the rest orbiting but in coordinated , cohesive fashion.

July 27, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Francis

Sookie?! No way. I know it's the Sookie Stackhouse novels, but I'm still mad about Sookie getting confused last episode when Bill first started to pretend to glamour her. Dumb! And that combined with her character being written to think that she can't even pretend Debbie's murder was self-defense? As though the police are going to read her mind and discover she "had time to think"? Makes me think she doesn't really grasp the theory of mind concept.

July 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Observer

Such HOT guys on this show! I'd let any one of 'em take me.

July 26, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joey

I hate the ifrit storyline. Terry is boring, but Patrick is nice to look at. I predict Holly will start a new wiccan group and kick smoke monster's a$$. I LOVE Tara as vampire! Pam is the most entertaining character. Only she can save a boring episode with just one line. Meloni will be back. Earlier in the season, there was a short clip of him in a black cape where he removed his hood and showed his fangs... this has not happened yet! He will be back and I hope that hottie stays around a long time!! Speaking of hot... please have more nude Alcide shots! Lafayette is boring so far this season. I suspect he will pick up soon, though. Lilith is kind of over the top ridiculous. The scene where she rises is so childish and unbelievable. At least Bill and Eric make vampires seem realistic. Vampires did not kill Sooki's parents. There are good and bad fairies... the bad ones are just plain evil. I always find Jessica to be entertaing. She never existed in the books but I am so glad the show created this character!! There really needs to be a vampire hunter/slayer character brought in. That would add a nice twist. Jason is annoying as always, and I would be fine with Hoyt being killed off. I love the new hot werewolf girl that's Alcide's 2nd. I'd like to see her kick JD's a$$. Martha is cool. I like her. Much different from her character in My Name is Earl lol.

July 26, 2012 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. Biobalo

Show has jumped the shark, did so when it killed off the only vamp that seemed reasonable (Roman) with almost no reason given. His confidant, his, "secret weapon," turned that quickly and/or kept him in the dark to such a degree? gtfo...

July 26, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  8. oxcon

Anyone else notice that in the same episode they mention this mysterious "Dragon" of the hate group.... they bring the old sheriff back into the picture. Possible link there?

July 25, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. jeff

good show and will continue to see as much as possible

July 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CS

I thought the eposide felt a little all over the place, not the best episode. But we love the show, good or bad, and will continue to watch. It is just pure fun and really not worth over analyzing. Just pure summer popcorn fun!

July 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. g

stupid show

July 25, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Fredrica

lmao

July 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. E.D.

The only (maybe) intriguing outcome of Terry's storyline would be if the smoke monster comes under Lafayette's control.....and is used to kill vampires??

July 25, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. janina

i love to watch bonds happen between people it can be very exciting. you want her more bad ass?

July 25, 2012 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. elder

I wish Scott foley´s character were dead instead of Roman!

July 25, 2012 at 5:55 am | Report abuse |
  16. elder

I know that Salome as a member of the council could not kill the Guardian herself, but I don´t bought that! I thought salome had strongs reasons to kill Roman, Reasons that we didn´t know, but I was wrong, also I didn`t believe the fact that she helped russell and wait a complete year! I am son disapointed because I wanted to see more of Roman, they didnt develope the character, Roman was a promise, but Charismatic, they could give us more scenes about him, but they prefered focus on stupid things like the smokey monster, lafayette, Tara, etc.

July 25, 2012 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  17. ESSSM

Please Bring back Christopher Meloni!, the series has too many storylines! go back to the basics! vampires and humans!

July 25, 2012 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  18. Linda

I think the Terry storyline is boring!! Love me some Lala tho. I wish Jesus would come back. Do not like Russell at all.. I still love the show tho. I will be a fan till they kill Eric off. Hopefully that will never happen!

July 24, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Natai

after sookie choosing ***, I decided to stop watching the show and ditch the books.

July 24, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eri

Holy crap!!! I can't believe you are not cinomg to Phoenix!!! Ive gone the last 3 years and it has become a tradition for my sister to come all the way down from Montana to go with me. We LOVE the show so much it is the highlight of the summer for us. Not even Las Vegas!!! So bummed add a show here please!!! Also, the show on Wednesday night was the worst finale ever .all those amazing talented dancers and NOT very good dances. SAD!! (Katey Holmes was weird and boring and so not the perfect judge for the finale show weird chioce for sure!!) Usually love everything about the show and always those talented dancers.

August 14, 2012 at 1:07 am | Report abuse |
  20. Melody

I love Pam and Tara on TB. Pam is hot! Anyone else think maybe Pam and Tara will get together as a couple? They would be a force to be reckoned with, together! I agree there are too many story lines this yr. Still love the show, but it HAS lost something. Hope Alan Ball is not leaving and can see more of Bon Temps a nd the ppl and sups there next year.

July 24, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. wolfdark

Here's my question. Why Salome couldn't kill Roman herself. Salome is 2000 years old. Roman was only 500. She had more than enough power to take him out herself.

July 24, 2012 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
    • dbank

Because she as a member of the council could not kill the Guardian herself

July 24, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

It politically looks better if Russell had murdered Romane rather than Salome who is a chancellor of the authority. Russell, who we remember murdered a newscaster on national television.

July 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Bert in Atlanta

Basically, I'm reading the same opinions we've been developing. Too many storylines going on, too many characters AND they've gotten too far away from what brought us to to True Blood in the first place - vampires & humans. I need a play book now just to keep up. HBO owes the fact that we have a subscription to the original True Blood, but I'm starting to wonder what's on Starz? I have learned some new words - ifrit, maenad, bruja, etc., so TB has had some educational value. I'm so glad Sookie wasn't an alien....

July 24, 2012 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  23. Lovinlif39

Clearly we are ALL in agreement that this year's TB is like watching cutting room floor flea market scenes that should have stayed on the floor. But, I'm hopeful that the writers need to push these story lines out there in order to get to the punch. Perhaps llike watching Curb Your Enthusiasm...

@Branden – I didn't get a Bill vibe about Sookie and Jason's parents. I get the vibe that they were turned and will appear as such by the last episode. The casting of their parents is great it's remarkable how much they resemble Sookie and Jason.

As for last night's episode, I don't know about you, but I was laughing my A$$ off through most of it. And it's about time because we are halfway through the season and I just woke up. I normally don't read much about the show, but I heard this is Alan Ball's finale season. Can anyone confirm that?

July 23, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branden

OMG I DIDN'T EVEN CONSIDER THE FACT THAT THEIR PARENTS COULD HAVE BEEN TURNED!!! Idk how I would feel about that though! I SERIOUSLY do not want Sookie to become human, can't express that enough, lol!

July 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • norkio

Yes, thank god it's AB's last season. He has taken this story so far from where it began and ruined it almost to the point of unwachability. Keep it simple, stupid. Unfortunately it is such a disaster that next year's season might not be able to redeem it.

July 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  24. SHIRLZ

I totally agree with all the story lines,this episode is awesome,this season has been awesome,I can't get enough.those of you who think otherwise either your unimaginative,not creative or your plain idiots

July 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sarah

I hope the True Blood writers are reading this blog, because it is crystal clear that all the fans believes that there are just too many story lines going on!!!!! they need to address the fans.

July 23, 2012 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Josh

What ever happened to the good old True Blood? When story lines were interesting and kept me on the edge of my seat every Sunday. I could do without the Werewolf politics and vengeful clouds of smoke to be honest. I just hope this Lilith/Fairy story line holds up.

July 23, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • You'reDumb

It's pretty obvious that the whole 5th season has been revolving around Russel Edgington

July 24, 2012 at 3:53 am | Report abuse |
  27. Jolie

This season has lost any zing that it possessed. Having Christopher Meloni on it was such an appealing prospect....and then BOOM he's gone. Last night was so dull. They need to get back to the core of the show and avoid all of these ridiculous side stories. I wish they'd stuck with the books more...so much great material there...

July 23, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • jessie

I agree with you. Go back the the original formula! Stick more to the book. All the sub plots do not work! Whats with the intro of Lilith? And the drug like frenzy? It was pretty lame.

July 23, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. E.P.

The episode was OK but I agree with STEV that something will tie all the sub plots together down the line. It's so Alan Ball.

My roommate and I have been having a discussion and I strongly believe that the Maenad/Horned God story is not over yet.

I've reviewed Season 2's Maenad episodes and Daphne clearly mentions that MaryAnn was once called "Holly, LILITH, Isis, Gaia" and the modern world's (and True Blood universe) description and understanding of a Maenad revolves around Greek mythology for the lack of a better description of what type of creature she really is. Daphne did add that "she" is much more than a Maenad which was never fully explained.

The name Holly was mentioned which is related to Celtic mythology which from my understanding is far older than the Greeks and in that myth the Horned God exist.

Anyways two points:

1. The only creature in the TB universe that seems to be more powerful than a Vampire is a Maenad which leads me to believe that it might return. And I'm quite fascinated by this Horned God.

2. The only way to defeat Russell (unless Lilith's Blood changed him to be a nicer Vampire) and stop his rampage and bloodlust is an alliance between Fairies and Humans.

In conclusion, I can't wait to see how this season ends and how all these different stories tie together. I can't hardly wait.

July 23, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Grace

TOO.MANY.STORYLINES! Serious – ditch the Lala, Terry & hate crime story...entirely too much going on. Annnnd...didn't we do the weres hyped on V last season? *sigh* More of our main characters...please!

July 23, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelley

I agree... my sister and friend were all talking about this very thing.. wayyyy too many things going on. I like all of what's going on but maybe the writers should have saved some of the story line for another season. Let's see... there's the Bill & Eric and the Authority/Russell story... Lala and Jesus story... Faeiryland...Terry and the smoke monster (can you say "LOST"), new Tara, flaming Hoyt, hybrid puppy girl, dead shifters, a hot self-proclaimed new pack leader It's just all too much....

July 23, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Mille

Likes – Tara and Pam, love – LaLa as a charecter but hate the story line – really miss Jesus
    dislikes – just about everything else. I use to LOVE this show – you guys are losing me
    Please get it together!

July 23, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Julie

Not my favorite season. I am loving the Pam/Tara story line. Feels like Pam became an adult this season, Tara became an orphan and then Pam had a child. Full circle w/ lots of blood shed in between. I want to see more Sookie & whoever hooking up – the show doesn't work w/out it! It just feels like every episode is moving in slow motion this season instead of our typical sit on the edge of your seat, nail biting, heart pounding, OMG I cannot wait until next Sunday, did that really just happen kind of of episodes that we have become accustom too. Still a fan though!

July 23, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Nelllibly

Way too many story lines going on to do any of them any justice. I don't care about half of them and there's not enough time spent on the ones I do find interesting. Focus, people, focus!

July 23, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thussie

I've been saying this since season started. Smoke Monster, Lafayettes Demons, Fairyland, Pack problems, Shifter murders, Vampire power, WOW. Way too much going on. Lose most of those (Especially Terry and Lafayette's story, not needed) and get back to good story telling instead of going all over the place and quality suffering. And REALLY disappointed that Christoher Meloni's term was so short lived (No pun intended)
      I do like that Tara is a Vampire, I was getting sick of her whining but now she is interesting again. Love her relationship with Pam.

July 23, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Stev

My problem is that nothing seems clever anymore on True Blood. Everything has been predictable and easy. Even the episode-end cliff hangers don't make me care anymore. There was a time when I would count down the days until the following Sunday... I do however really love True Blood's soulful dramatic moments in the middle of all the campiness and they do still exist (Thankfully), but they seem few and far between. My only hope is that everything has been so predictable so far and with so many characters that there is some Out-of-this-world thread that is going to tie it all together and make me say Aha!

July 23, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branden

One thing that's got me guessing is, WHO THE HECK KILLED SOOKIE AND JASON'S PARENTS?!?!?! I got a Bill vibe when we saw it! But if he did kill them, did he know they were Sookie's parents or did he have it planned? Was it Eric and he's been playing her the way Bill did for season 1-3? Was it possibly Russel?!?! Gahh lol I love talking about this show!

July 23, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  34. LadyK

I don't know, y'all - this season has been really boring. Not really enjoying it, and ESPECIALLY not enjoying Terry and the Ifrit business - it's just bad, bad, filler. I used to love Arlene, but unfortunately, her story-line is wrapped up with Terry's and I just don't find it interesting at all. However, there were a few one liners that made me howl in last night's episode - the one's between Alcide and Martha were hilarious, "With all due respect, Martha, Marcus doesn't have a grave because y'all ate him", and Martha's reply, "don't get all literal on me, Rambo", was hilarious!!!! Even La-La's story is kind of getting old and waring on me at this point, although with that story there may be hope that they can turn it in to something good. To be honest, I'm even tired of Eric and Bill's bs! Why on earth did it take them so long to figure out it was Salome who freed Russell? What's most interesting to me now is what is going to happen with Pam and Tara - now there's a great potential storyline! Those two are definitely gonna turn the world red!! But, in the end, I think new writers are desperately needed for this show, otherwise they will keep losing loyal viewers like myself. Very unfortunate!

July 23, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branden

I am VERY nervous/excited for the much mentioned "war" between humans and sups! GAHHH

July 23, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • LadyK

One thing in my post that I definitely have to amend is the fact that it wasn't even Bill and Eric that figured out that Salome was the culprit who freed Russell - Salome had to tell them that Salome dug him up. Revealed herself instead of having Bill and Eric uncover the truth deadened that storyline.

July 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branden

Well Bill and Eric just aren't really the brightest, lol!

July 23, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Lynn Kaiser

The smoke monster is ridiculous. I like the other story lines but honestly what does that have to do with the vamps and wolves.

July 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Michael Peter Caliazzo-Princeton

Great storyline and show.

July 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  37. jeff

What a load of manure! I drank a Coke and ate a bowl of cabbage before bed last night. I had lurid, crazy nightmares all night. Still, the nightmares made more sense than this season's True Blood. With more cast members than Ben Hur, and so many sub-plots, it's hard to keep track of Vampires, Werewolves, Fairies, Shifters, Witches, etc. Maybe Sam should shift into a script writer and get this series back on track. The writers they have currently seem to under the influences of mushrooms or acid!

July 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  38. chemgrad

The season started off awesome, but I agree with Maria. Last night's episode was boring. Since they found Russell I haven't been interested in any of the story lines.

July 23, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Aaron S

@Branden I definately agree. I believe Sookie might become some fairy goddess. It would be great. Where is Jason's fae panther baby(ies)?

July 23, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branden

Jason is gettin on my nerves! lol when is that boy gonna grow some brains or at least get some street smarts?! sigh

July 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Maria Santy

The episode was boring! First, in the last episode the Guardian get spiked so easily; without a fight at all! This was the icing on the cake. Come now we’re talking about the Guardian and he gets fried with no problem. Sookie and the fairies are a bit boring also. They don’t do anything except get humans high as a kite. On Sunday July 22, 2012, the episode was boring. Vampires drinking vampire blood or V-blood getting high and killing people, this was extremely predictable. It was like a human drinking their blood and going a freight train. Then Sookie flashing her powers and no one notice except her brother! Come on the wolf pack or the some other creature could off seen this and a new hunter could of appear. I’ve seen True Blood since the first episode and I must say it had some slow moments, but now it’s just getting ridiculous. Come now..put some action into it…TNT does have some great shows too! Maybe it’s time to change channels.

July 23, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Tina W.

I could care less about the Fire Monster storyline.. It's freaking corny!!!!!

July 23, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Branden

I LOVE IT!!! I seriously LOVE the relationship bonding thing going on between Tera and Pam! I am kind of starting to like the Terry fire demon thing, just because nothing exciting ever really happend with him. I DO NOT want Sookie to become human though! I want her to just become stronger and more bad A$$!!! LOL LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

July 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Syarkawi

I don't know if anyone in a posioitn of authority reads these comments, but I hope someone does.I would like you to consider the following idea.I realize extending the tour to add dates in the Pacific Northwest and elsewhere puts an additional physical burden on the dancers. So what about this idea: end the tour in November as planned, give the dancers some much needed time off (and rest), and then start it up again in January or February for an additional 12-15 stops.I have absolutely no doubt that any performances that are added will be sold out. Especially with Ovation Channel keeping interest in the show alive by rerunning Season's 6 and 7.I hope you will consider my idea.

August 14, 2012 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |