'Louie' pre-judges Parker Posey
July 20th, 2012

'Louie' pre-judges Parker Posey

“Louie” was nominated yesterday for three Emmy Awards – although it was still overlooked for outstanding comedy series - so let's start off this recap of Thursday's episode with a congrats.

Now recall "Louie's" pilot, when Louie explained his outlook on relationships. “If you smile at somebody, and they smile back, you’ve just decided that something s****y is going to happen.”

He further espoused that the best-case scenario with relationships “is that you’re going to lose your best friend, and then just walk home from D’Agostino’s with heavy bags all day, and wait for your turn to be nothing, also."

Fast-forward to Thursday's episode when Louie’s daughters asked him when he was going to get a girlfriend, thereby sending him on a quest for a woman suitable not just for himself, but for his daughters.

On stage, he explained that he was prejudiced towards Scarlett Johansson because he would like to sleep with her. “I never met her or saw her in person. But I just know, come on! I just know that would be the greatest thing that ever happened to me, and the worst thing that ever happened to her.”

Cult comic Maria Bamford probably wouldn’t call sex with Louie the worst thing that ever happened to her. Maybe the second worst.

Louie and Maria were in bed post-coital, watching a terrifying, but not far-fetched, parody of “The Real World.” (Have you watched the current season? Someone is definitely going to get stabbed.) Then he asked her to meet his kids. She responded, “You really ruined my night, in two ways now. You’re bad at sex.”

Later, he went to the Community Book Store in Park Slope (a wonderful place! Though, sadly, Parker Posey isn’t a real employee) and a lovely woman (Posey) helped him find a book for Lily.

He returned later, and she gave him excellent, accurate advice about the inner lives of 10-year-old girls. Posey’s performance was so gentle, and Louie’s nervous excitement so relatable.

When he finally asked her out, it was spectacular. “Being a woman in New York must be hard because it’s basically disappointing ... You try to be nice to men as human beings, and then they respond just by torpedoing towards your vagina.” Yes, that’s true.

“I grow on people, women," Louie went on. "Some time goes by, you get past the bald head and I sweat a lot and I’m lumpy.” (I’m past it, Louie. Call me.)

When she said yes, the look on Louie’s face as he did a lonely tennis victory pump was unfamiliar: hope.

In a rare instance of continuity, this was the first installment in a two-episode arc involving Posey’s character. Though I suspect their exchanged smiles will result in imminent disappointment, I hope it ends with Louie’s best-case scenario. He looks strong enough to shoulder the burden of those heavy D’Agostino’s bags.

What did you think of last night’s episode?

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Louie • television • TV recaps

1. insane

Remarkable things here. I'm very satisfied to look your post. Thanks so much and I'm looking forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

January 8, 2013 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. Ally

LOVE that Parker ends up being a total nut bag in the next episode (tape recorder? Really?). Yes, you can hope for happy endings for Louie, but it will never happen. Happy endings are boring and unrealistic and Louie CK knows it.

July 28, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hilarious

Great show! Unlike most sitcoms it's refreshing, dares to show the awkwardness of being a single dad with 2 daughters, dating later in life and all the comedy that comes with it. You don't have to be smart to "get it." You simply need an advanced sense of humor.

July 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. morningrocker

"in your gut" typing too fast!

July 22, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. morningrocker

I loved the episode. "Real" acting...when it gets you your gut...no words are spoken. The moment at the end...when Louis/Louie is so purely joyful at his success in asking the woman out...the purest of treasures for the audience. We've all been on one side or the other of that scenario. Well done Louis CK. (who, by the way is adorable.)

July 22, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. n.

I liked the show at first but then it became unfunny, awkward, and depressing. Several episodes went by after the first few where not one laugh was had. I gave up on it.

July 21, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sokman

This is a comedy for smart people... Whatever. Looking at this blog, it seems a comedy for judgemental @sses who cant see past their own noses long enough to stop sniffing their own f@rts. Fu(king suck it you smart people, I'll stick with South Park & Craig Ferguson. BTW, if you have to run around telling everyone how much smarter you are than them because they cant recognize it by your actions, you probably aren't.

July 21, 2012 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. Michael Calaizzo

Parker Posey, great looking.

July 21, 2012 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  9. Erica

I watched this episode with my Dish Remote Access app and just thinking about the part with the reality TV show still cracks me up. I have two daughters as well so the jokes with the kids stand out a little more for me. I like how Louie was tricked into looking for a girl friend for his fry thievery, but it makes me questions if I have ever been tricked the same way. One of my coworkers at Dish has four kids and she said that I would be dumb to think that I haven’t.

July 21, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. Peter

This episode of Louie was an excellent addition to this season. I was out of town so I had to catch it with my Dish Remote Access app instead of my big screen, but it was just as hilarious. The long speech Louie prepared to ask the bookkeeper out topped everything. It is as if he was born with his foot in his mouth. The ending of the last few episodes has been awkward, but a lot of moments in life are like that. I think there is a lot of truth in the picture Louis is painting.

July 20, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Snorlax

Television is a waste. Read a good book instead.

July 20, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Stephen

The American public is, for the most part, stupider than an episode of Full House. This show is for smart people. The rest of you who don't "get it" can go back to watching the Kardashians.

July 20, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Simon Cowell

In fact, it is you, Stephen that is devoid of intelligence. Just because you "get it", does not make you smart. The smart ones turn off the TV and go do something else.

July 20, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Blitzen

Forced myself to watch it. Did not laugh once. It's supposed to be a comedy, right? Does Louis write his own material? Maybe that's the problem.

July 20, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. art

are the two previous responders slow, or just typical of the dumbing down of america through our media (you included cnn). the show is brilliant because it is the opposite of the, play within the play, real life parody it portrayed in last nights episode. you two should read hamlet, and cnn should watch newsroom on hbo

July 20, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Tanya

Jay Leno said that it was the funniest show out there and I don't get that. I always thought he was funny, but that show does blow.

July 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mierda apestoso

Thanks for the re-cap but no thanks..there is a reason this show is over looked,it just plain blows a$$ !!!

July 20, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |