'Dark Knight Rises' Paris premiere canceled
July 20th, 2012

'Dark Knight Rises' Paris premiere canceled

In the wake of the early morning shooting at an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater during a screening of "The Dark Knight Rises," studio Warner Bros. has canceled the Paris premiere of the film as well as interviews for "The Dark Knight Rises" cast.

Theater shooting: Gunman 'just firing, picking random people'

The studio, which shares a parent company with CNN, said in a joint statement with "Dark Knight Rises' " filmmakers that they are all "deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time."

Chairman and CEO of the Motion Pictures Association of America, Sen. Chris Dodd, said in a statement Friday that the organization shares "the shock and sadness of everyone in the motion picture community at the news of this terrible event. We extend our prayers and deepest sympathies to the victims, their loved ones and all those affected by this tragedy."

Celebrities have also echoed those condolences, with singer Janelle Monae tweeting Friday, "devastated by the Colorado movie theatre killings. My heart hurts. We must be thankful daily for life. Anything at anytime could happen and you're gone... Live life as happily as u can. I do not like guns btw. Not cool at all to me."

Added Ryan Seacrest, "Thinking about the families who were affected by this horrible incident in Colorado. My thoughts and prayers are with you all."

Remarks from NBA star LeBron James likely resonated with others watching this tragic story unfold: "So u telling me I can't even feel safe at the movies now!!? SMH. My prayers goes out to all the families involved in Aurora, Colorado. ... Its just not fair that innocent people have to lose their lives over someone's selfish stupidity acts! My stomach is hurting over this."

"Newsroom" star Olivia Munn posted, "My sincerest condolences to the victims and families in Colorado. So sad, so mindless."

"These are really the end of our days," singer Tyrese posted to his account. "People['s] devious crimes are getting wors[e] and wors[e].. In a theater.? My prayers to the family I'm so sad."

Cinemark, which owns Century Theaters, said in a statement Friday that the company "is deeply saddened about this tragic incident," and that it's "working closely with the Aurora Police Department and local law enforcement."

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families and loved ones, our employees, and the Aurora community," Cinemark continued. "We are grateful for the quick and professional reaction of all local law enforcement and emergency responders."

To help calm moviegoers at New York City screenings of "The Dark Knight Rises" and "as a precaution against copycats," Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said Friday that "the New York City Police Department is providing coverage at theaters where the 'The Dark Knight Rises' is playing in the five boroughs."

1. ALL-200 |automotive leak locator| flow meter|leak size

Hi my family member! I want to say that this article is awesome, great written and come with almost all significant infos. I would like to see extra posts like this .

July 27, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BobTbuilder

Stupid movie anyway. Cancel it permanently I say.

July 25, 2012 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sokman

Yeah, and heavy metal music made kids kill their families and/or themselves in the 80's & 90's. Chill out Tipper Gore

July 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Sport Memorabilia

I'll right away grasp your rss as I can not in finding your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you've any? Please allow me realize in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

July 22, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sokman

Shut up anna, your ignorance is escaping everytime you open your mouth

July 21, 2012 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  6. Symonestarr

To everyone saying that they wished movie patrons would have had guns to take the shooter out, have you read about the shooter at all? Because if you had, you would realize that he was in full riot gear!! I highly doubt that any movie patron with their concealed handgun would have been able to stop him!! So, PLEASE stop trying to use this horrific tragedy as some campaign menouver for your progun agenda!!!!

July 20, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Say it ain't so

I'm soo sorry this happened. I really feel ashamed to be part of a race that does this.

July 20, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Deadly Force for Phsycos

Gun Control will never Work and having a heavily armed America makes Foreign Invaders think twice. want to cut this problem down? don't spend any money watching violent films. these kind of flicks work against everything decent and excites Whackos lile Holmes to go off big time. If you don' watch these things then Hollywood might stop making them when their pocketbook takes a hit. why even watch garbage like that?

July 20, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MidnightMadness

where is batman when his supporters needed him most?

July 20, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ronnie jr

What a crazy world we live in! There no safe place at all

July 20, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Branden

This is so sad. The news article that cnn almost made me cry. The part where the officer carried the little girl out after she got shot in the back. :'o(
    I work for a motor club and had to help one of the victim's mother in regards to getting her daughter's car out of there. Psycho people just dont realize the ripple affect of their choices.

July 20, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. J.Dreamer and Believer

Gun laws seems tough as it is. Guns don't kill people, it is the people who uses the guns destructively to kill people. People need to change their ways and that just what it is. Prayers and thoughts for the victims and their families. Please no more politics unless they are talking about the tragedy.

July 20, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ted Nugent

I'd have shot their @$$

July 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Maggie

I tend to agree with r. Innocent people are dying both places Anna, how can you say there is no comparison? Do you think none of the victims in Syria were in a theatre? Or maybe this is special because it's not halfway across the world?

July 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Robert Paulson

I was shocked to read that a baby was among the injured. What kind of monster brings a three month old to an action movie?

July 20, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Terrax1

I agree with you. That was not a place for a baby or kids brought in to see this movie wen because of their age should not have been there either. My thoughts and prayers go ou to all those who have been hurt by this crazed person.

July 20, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • A

Isn't the real question here, what kind of monster throws tear gas into a crowd of people then proceed to shoot 71 of those people?

July 20, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Rile E.

I guess dude was auditioning for the role of the nemesis in the next Bat Man movie.

July 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mr.Morbid

I feel so bad for the families of the victims of this horrible shooting. it was uncalled for and for a loon like that to be able to get his hand on a gun is ridiculous. And people blameing Batman fans are so wrong. batman dosent use guns and he dosent kill. People went to go see a movie that they were excited about seeing and they went early,its just sad that trash like that gunman cant let people enjoy life. He shouldve stayed home and shot himself.

July 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  18. warren

This country is sitting on the edge waiting to go over! I want to see the gun lobbyist try justify this.

July 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • u kiddin me?

Crazy phuckers will always be able to get guns. What we need to do is arm more law-abiding citizens so crazies like this can be shot dead in the act instead of costing us money to keep locked up.

July 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jerry

how can you say "I want to see the gun lobbyist justify this."? They don't tell people to go out and kill other people. they don't say "hey, go buy guns so you can shoot up places!" this is the act of a disturbed human being. regardless if he used guns or knives or explosives, he wanted to inflect as much pain and damage as possible.

July 20, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Elvis

Im a hunka hunka burnin loooove

July 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  20. David W

I agree with Superhiro. This is no time to be squabbling. We need to think of the families involved and their loss. Please be kind to each other and show some respect for those who have lost their loved ones.

July 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  21. r

Life goes on. This is tragic but I don't see how stopping the premiere in Paris is the right thing to do. I don't see the world stopping because of the killings in Syria, for example.

July 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  22. bk

Guns are good!

July 20, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  23. JUANITA

Things like this is why we need to tell the people in our lifes that we love them. You never know who long you will have them. Hug and kiss you family and friends ever day. to the famils and victims of the shooting my prayers are with you and your familys.

July 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Pat

There seems to be a problem some have in divorcing fantasy from reality that is increasing in our society. I can go to such a movie and not come out violent because I understand the difference. Trust me, there is a "back story" to this young man that might explain much. Just saying someone is"evil" Is not an answer but shows our struggle to understand such a heinous event beyond most of us.

July 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Teacher

Cancelled is spelled wrong in the headline. Get your act together.

July 20, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • D Rock

It is acceptable to spell it cancelled or canceled. I think the spelling with one L is more popular in the UK, however.

July 20, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • anna

To D Rock

Sorry to tell you that cancelled is spelled just like that in the UK

Got your facts wrong.

July 20, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaydadio

No it can be spelled with either one or two L's. And the UK comment is absolutely correct. At Heathrow it's spelled Canceled for such flights.

July 20, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • D Rock

@anna

Muahahahaha! :P

July 20, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  26. TT

My heart goes out to all those folks at the theater, their families and friends, and especially those who were wounded or killed. What a horrific nightmare! I do not like guns. I will defend your right to own one, though. I do wish we had stricter gun laws, so that people that have "red flags" would not be able to obtain one legally. Sure, you can get them elsewhere, but if we could keep a gun out of the hands of one crazy person or terrorist, isn't it worth it? I don't understand, though, why assault weapons are legal. I know you don't hunt animals with one. I only know of two things they would be good for, target shooting & shooting people. Sorry, don't want to ruffle the NRA's feathers, though.

July 20, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Superhiro

I still say this movie should be banned. Also the actors and producers should be sued. Freedom of Speach doesn't give them the right to make movies that cause people to go insane. Plus this just shows what freaks these Batman fans really are.

July 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • ah...

When does school go back into session? Not soon enough for us, I can tell you. You are a bad troll.

July 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kiel

Are you an idiot???think before u post plz. Wht ban the movie and sue actors???

July 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • u kiddin me?

Once again you have shown what a freak YOU are. You make a good case for retroactive abortion past the third trimester, on into the adult years. YOU should be banned, boycotted, drawn & quartered, then run through a wood-chipper.

July 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • There is none..

More insane that the horse that walks the streets of NY. Man was he one wack job posting his rants on here for all those months until good ole David W. stepped in. Woo wee .. One can only wonder what goes on in a sick mind like that. The would be a much safer place without that loose canon. Thank the good Lord he is gone.

July 20, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • !

*world

July 20, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • tf

What's a 'speach',moron?

July 20, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jay

I'm sure he planned this along time before he went into the theater. It's not like he had all that stuff on him and while watching Batman went insane and starting shooting everyone. Grow a brain.. this guy did this on his own

July 20, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • anna

I dont this anyone should be sued but I will say that I feel these type of movies should not be made in the first place.

July 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blitzen

Anna you are a moron. We need super heroes and action movies to escape and to balance out the drivel that comes from Lifetime and the Hallmark channel.

July 20, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Symonestarr

At everyone saying that movie goes shoule have had a gun to put him down.....have you read at all about the shooter?!?! Beause if you had, you would realize that he was in full riot gear!! I doubt that any movie patron with their concealed handgun would have been able to stop him!! Stop trying to turn this horrific tragedy into something you can use for your progun campaign!!!!

July 20, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Vixen

That's sad that you can't even go to the movies now w/o some nut case opening fire on people. Geezers what is the coming to. New York is doing the right thing. There is still demented nut case walking around the streets of NY by the name of Mr. Ed. He is the type that would do something like this

July 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  29. RIP

This is not a color discussion but rather a mental discussion. Who knows why the 3mth old was there but i have a son and I am a HUGE BATMAN fan so if i didnt have a sitter, he was sleeping, that was the only showing I could go to, yupp he would be there too. Its sad that you cant even feel safe in a movie because we have to deal with losers opening fire. Thats the point LeBron made speaking of everyone, not just himself. And since this discussion wants to go political, that is a well put point from LeBron that Mitt Romney can take notes on how to RELATE to the average citizen.

July 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  30. dentont

Movies and videos games play a big part in desensitizing our young people today..and why do so many need to hear and see what celebrities think about things and why do the celebrities feel the need to tell. Celebrity worship in this country is disturbing.

July 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Rob

Funny how people are so afraid and adamant about having their own protection, ala a concealed handgun, and yet they're rarely used (let alone to save lives). If the gun nuts were more concerned about disarming the moronic / insane than with bolstering their own stockpiles of weapons and ammunition they might actually create a legitimately safer community.. But this would mean they wouldn't need the numerous guns.
    The NRA and other gun nuts are more concerned about the amendment that allows them to bear arms than they are about the community or their fellow man. Keep up the scare tactics and keep putting weapons in the hands of the incapable.

July 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Widow

rob you are a moron.... Do you think if guns were made illegal everything would be ok? Criminals would not have guns? I do not own a gun b/c in Chicago we have the strictest gun laws in the nation and there is still 7-20 shootings every night on the south and west sides of the city... Wake up.. Criminals do not abide by the law. And gun laws that prevent law abiding citizens from obtaining a gun makes criminals feel safer as they won't have a high chance of encountering there chosen victim/s with a gun... I think if you are caught comiting a crime with a gun you should get a minimum 35 yr sentence without the possibility of getting out early. The answer is not to take away guns from law abiding citizens..

July 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Haha, I'm the moron. Learn how to spell, punctuate, and write a complete sentence first.
      Reread my post and try again. I never said anything about outlawing firearms; I'm talking about gun control. Would you like to hand out guns to everyone and just watch it all collapse? Travel, widow, and see how many European countries do not have guns and have less violent crimes. There are also other countries that have a higher percentage of gun ownership, yet less violence... Why is that? The culture of America. But if I say that, I'm a commie, right? I'm a socialist? Nope, just posting some factual info. Get yourself educated.

July 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Timmy

Let's take England for example.

Yeah, the gun rates are lower.

But the crime rate with other weapons, such as knives, are through the stratosphere.

July 20, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

One man cannot kill and injure over 60 people with a knife. Still think the assault weapons ban wasn't necessary? Wake up.

July 20, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Mitt

Its rush limboughs fault.

July 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Sebastian2

My sympathies are first and foremost with the families of the victims of this horrifying act of domestic terrorism, as well as the surviving patrons of the theater. I can only imagine what a surreal horror it was to witness; if it'd happened to my wife and I? I'm not sure I'd ever want to go to a movie theater ever again.

My thoughts are also with the filmmakers and cast as well. I can only imagine how they must feel to have their film forever associated with such a senseless and horrific act. I hope that the suspect is treated as a terrorism suspect and punished to the full extent of the law, whatever that may incur. And I grieve for his family as well...

July 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Superhiro

No way I will ever go see this movie. It should be boycotted. Any movie that can cause someone to go crazy and shoot people needs to be banned.

July 20, 2012 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Kenny

the movie itself didn't cause this lunatic to start shooting – be realistic.

July 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • spike

Please, like its the movie's fault...it could have been anywhere. He just chose a place he knew would be full of people with a limited access to exits. This guy is a psycho' nothing more. Ban the movie...how stupid.

July 20, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • bosox

The movie has nothing to do with the shooter. By that logic, we should just close all movie theaters and boycott all movies. You don't know anything about what this person's motivation was. And in case, they weren't watching the movie anyway...they busted in through an emergency exit.

July 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bex Drono

Superhiro- Your an idiot.

July 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • u kiddin me?

Superhiro, Vixen, Sly Sadie, etc. You are so full of yourself! The movie didn't cause this. The criminal who did the shooting caused this. One thing I never do is go to the premier screening of any movie. That's when the rabid fans and weirdos come out. Safer to wait a couple of weeks, or just wait for Redbox to get it and watch it at home for a buck.

July 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • @u kiddin'

Ah, I only see the trolled superhiro. Why do you slam somebody else that hasn't even posted?

July 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • u kiddin me?

Because those are some of the other aliases she uses. Haven't you been paying attention?

July 20, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • @u kiddin'

Yes, she uses their names, but Super Hero & Sadie are actual folks that she trolls using their names. You can't blame them for what she says. Just keep that in mind. I'm sure they cringe every time they see their names pop up, just like the rest of us do when we get trolled.

July 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  35. bobbers602

Where were all the concealed weapon carrying NRA members who are supposed to be keeping us safe?

July 20, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • big mike

@Bobbers 602 Where are all the police offcers that some say "Only police officers should have guns"?

July 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samjm

Almost every movie theater is a "gun free zone". Look for the sign next time you go to the movies. The LAW ABIDING gun owners did not have their weapons with them. All the "gun free zone" did was advertise to the shooter that he'd meet no resistance there.

July 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Joe

Hold up. Why is France canceling the premiere out of caution of "copycats"? Don't they have strict gun laws?! Haha, suck that anti-gunners!

July 20, 2012 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Ann

Joe, your remark is ignorant. The reason the Paris premiere is being cancelled is out of respect for the dead. The filmmakers didn't feel right about having a big international premiere and doing the media circuits while this tragedy is still fresh on everybody's minds.

July 20, 2012 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Damien

It's not France that canceled it, it's Warner Bros. Plus It's not to prevent another shooting, it's out of respect for the victims. Sorry for you, pro gunners.

July 20, 2012 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Taylor

Silly you, do you understand what the word RESPECT means.....?

July 20, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  37. The Yiffening

Chris Dodder is a towering @$$hat who hates freedom.

July 20, 2012 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Brooke

Come on people, what does Freeman has to do with this. Some of you are all off base. People were killed show some respect.

July 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  38. The Truth

Everything that has happened is very tragic and my heart goes out to all except the gunman, may he know pain and suffering and rot in hell. One thing that is bugging me is one of the reported victims is a 3 month old baby. Who brings a 3 month old to a movie theater? Especially to a movie were the sound effects will definitly scare the baby into crying. On top of that it was a midnight showing. This is sad and tragic, but why are those parents so inconsiderate to the other moviegoers by bringing the baby?

July 20, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • TLK

You've probably never had a three month old. They sleep anywhere and everywhere. Was this wise? Maybe not, but it's not that improbable. Now a 1 yr old or a 2 yr old? That's an issue as they are very cognizant of their environment and might even be scared of the movie.

July 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Austin

Seriously, please stop quoting celebrity twitter accounts. Really unprofessional.

July 20, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  40. Missknowitall

What I dont like about this, there will be security measures ala TSA possibly at cinemas now. My heart aches for the fallen, injured, and their families. Also I am keeping the employees there in my prayers. As far as gun control, will it fix what happend today? I suppose not. So there is the answer to that lame 30+ yr debate.
    I also want to point out a 3 month old baby was injured, perhaps focusing on that fact instead of NBA stars and any particular race of people would be a better use of space?

July 20, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Nick

Why are three month olds going to 12:05 am showings in the first place?

July 20, 2012 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Charlie2010

Babies don't care if they're asleep in a car seat at the movies or at home asleep in a crib. There's no problem with taking a sleeping baby to a midnight movie,

July 20, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  41. jesse

What a joke, NBA stars talking about feeling safe at the movies. How many black athletes have been cited or arrested for carrying guns on planes, in bars, to the beach? The country is so full of ignorant rhetoric. Oh i forgot, living in mansions and making millions of dollars make ya a gangsta, right? Ask Chris Brown and his hoodies about that bar and throwing class, I'm sure Tony Parker of San Antonio Spurs can tell you all about it.

And for those crying about guns, several countries, including China and Mexico, guns are illegal, banned, not sold, yet people get them and commit horrible crimes. Remember Obama was letting cartels buy guns in America so he could track them, oh that's right you don't want to hear that do you Left America?

July 20, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • RZ70

Thank you for using the pain and suffering of others to spew bile from multiple political platforms. You have a brilliant future in politics and/or tabloid journalism.

July 20, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Arcon

Carrying a
      Gun is
      Different than open firing on people. If
      Someone was
      Packing in the theatre maybe the could have put the psycho down.

July 20, 2012 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Arcon

As a matter of fact the second tragedy is that no one returned fire and put him down, why should he waste tax money at trials and in prison. Why should he get to live and his victims never get another day of
      Life. Why is America against the death penalty when the criminals take life so freely. Of course he is mentally ill, he's evil.

July 20, 2012 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Taylor

Jesse, take your MEDS........now you making this a black thing and a Obama thing what a a$$ wipe. People like you is part of the problem. This is about a shooting , not about the President. Please get a job and take your MEDS.

July 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  42. wandii

That is not Morgan Freeman's twitter account.

July 20, 2012 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  43. Paul

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. If someone in that theatre had a chl and was carrying lives would have been saved.

July 20, 2012 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |