Tom Hardy talks following in Heath Ledger's 'Dark Knight' footsteps
July 17th, 2012

Tom Hardy talks following in Heath Ledger's 'Dark Knight' footsteps

Critics are hailing "The Dark Knight Rises" as an example of filmmaker Christopher Nolan at his best. But even the most impressed among them has noted that the 2012 follow-up to 2008's "The Dark Knight" lacks the special quality Heath Ledger brought to that blockbuster Batman film.

Ledger, who died the same year the film was released, turned in an Oscar-winning performance as "The Dark Knight's" villain, the Joker.

When "The Dark Knight Rises" opens this week, moviegoers will be introduced to Tom Hardy's brutal Bane, and the actor told CNN at the film's premiere on Monday that he's feeling the pressure having to be the bad guy after Ledger's spectacularly unhinged one.

"Of course, the work that Heath did was so incredible and it was brilliant," Hardy said. "And it's unfortunate that he’s not with us today as well, so there’s a double bind there in many ways."

But, Hardy went on, "if anything, it’s a tremendous responsibility and opportunity to sort of follow in the footsteps of somebody who was so brilliant. So I’m just grateful to be part of the family, actually, the Batman, Chris Nolan family. And that I got brought in to be the villain in this film."

If all goes well, Hardy added, audiences will despise him.

"Hopefully!" he told CNN. "One way or the other they will!"

« Previous entry
  1. Homemade Hot Chocolate

Hi my family member! I want to say that this article is awesome, great written and come with approximately all important infos. I?d like to peer extra posts like this .

August 14, 2012 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. caroline

Just saw Dark Knight Rises last weekend and I thought Bane was a completely eerie addition to the batman villain roster. He was really scary–hit me on a primal level–the voice, the way he held his hands at his chest over the folds of his clothes while walking around, that Mad Max style coat and style–Yeah baby!! The distortion in his voice was unsettling enough. I LOVED HIM!

August 9, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. James

I did not like the new film. I did not like Bane's voice. I did not like the numerous plot holes in the story. Dark Knight was the greatest Batman movie ever made. Period.

August 8, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Eric

Tom Hardy did an excellent job as Bane, possibly the best part of the movie. However, he did not equal or surpass Heath Ledger and he is wise to be humble when trying to follow such a towering achievement. The Joker character was a force of pure chaos and was a monumental performance by Heath Ledger.

August 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Panama Hat

following that performance by Heath Ledger would be really difficult. But he did a good job.

July 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Observer

D E L I C I O U S !

July 26, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bulloch

IMO, Hardy did GREAT as Bane. Love it or hate it, you still paid to see the movie, so Batman wins!

July 26, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JFritz

Not only not the funny, campy movies they used to be, but they now inspire true sickness. Heath Ledger's twisted performance is sickening. Can't imagine that the latest offering is much better. Is this really what that dangerous 18-25 male crowd needs to focus on? Or the little kids their brain dead parents take in–do they really need this stuff?

July 25, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. etin

Love him. Love him love him. He's a marvelous actor. Tom Hardy can do things with his eyes that other actors can only envy.

July 25, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. escudos heraldicos

hello there and thanks in your information ? I've definitely picked up something new from right here. I did alternatively experience several technical points the usage of this site, as I skilled to reload the website lots of instances prior to I may just get it to load properly. I were pondering if your hosting is OK? Now not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading cases occasions will often affect your placement in google and can harm your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I'm adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for a lot more of your respective exciting content. Make sure you update this again soon..

July 23, 2012 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. HERE'S OUT FUTURE FOLKS

WE GOING TO VOTE YOU AS THE CEO AND EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR BECAUSE YOU CAN TRACK BLOGGERS WITH 6 DIFFERENT NAMES..YOU PEOPLE ARE SO DEPRESSED.

July 20, 2012 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. yea your right...

he is dark.

July 19, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Major

Batman han't been "fun and campy" in the comics for over 40 YEARS! Geez, people. Since the early seventies, he's been pretty dark, especially since the eighties.

July 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. shannon ray blake

riddle this fellow antagonist BANE...what thee phase delta configurataed a.c.motor which converts electrical energy into mechanical energy use a stator and armature ?????a universal electrical motor and a squirel cage motor...(it had two answers for the same price answers.....hahahahahaha...)shannon riddles are red ,raw ,and sometimes brutally honest.yeah, riddle me that one bane....????//////?

July 19, 2012 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  15. Kobol

"So with you on this. Batman is no longer the fun campy movie that the comic books were."

Have you read any of the comics? I've read the Killing Joke and a few others and they were pretty brutal...

Besides, I'd prefer a realistic action movie as opposed to a childish one. Half of Manhattan blew up in the Avengers and I don't think a single person was emotionally moved by that. Same with the Transformers movies. At least when stuff blows up and people die in the Batman movies, it feels real.

July 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  16. the_dude

I don't know about the bat man but this guy was awsome as the young luke skywalk in those revenge of the empire movies a few years back ago.

July 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Branden

SERIOUSLY WHO CARES!?!?!?!?!? These Batman movies SUCK!!! They're nothing but a bunch of hype!!! Heath Ledger's joker was NOT that great, lol! These movies aren't anything special

July 18, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Breck

I care. I disagree, I have not found either of the two previous batman movies to suck. What movies do you recommend?

July 19, 2012 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Dragun

If you dint care you wouldn't have read the article much less posted a response. Tolling at its finest. You have your right to your opinion same as anyone else but don't post a "WHO CARES" if you cared enough to post.

July 19, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • ktina

If you dont care...why waste your time making a comment!!!! And Heath Ledger was amazing as the Joker...it was by far his best role!

July 19, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branden

Who said I read the article? lol and just as you have the right to your "opinion" I have the right to post my two sense as well! LOL same reason why you're taking the time out of your day to respond! Soooooo what else do you have? hmm???

July 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • DJCowboy

Branden = The Penguin

July 19, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branden

DJCowboy + moron!
      Equally clever remark, don't you think?
      ;o)

July 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • ktina

Its "two cents" not "two sense" MORON!!!!

July 23, 2012 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
    • The Real Batman

F you d-bag. Go back to your Twillight "films".

July 24, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. s

can't wait!

July 18, 2012 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  19. Derp

The only thing I disagree with is: HOW THE HELL DO YOU KILL BATMAN?! Bane is supposed to break his back, not KILL him! To go from fugitive to Martyr makes for one heck of a story, but c'mon!

July 17, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. A W Messenger

I'm looking forward to not watching this movie. The Batman series has gotten so dark (in the last two movies), I refuse to watch them going forward. Fantastic hero-centered movies are supposed to be for the children and not for deranged adults. This series has fallen way off the path of reason. Nothing to watch here. I'll take a good Avengers movie over this deep-seeded darkness of dreariness any day.

July 17, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kage

Batman is a dark series dude, and guess what? Kids still love the series as it is. Those who grew up with comics read them because of the characters that they cherish. Your just stuck up on the avengers being a good movies, but even that did not match with the actual comic. People watch batman and spiderman mainly because those films try their best on what they represent on the comics. Just read a comic and then you will understand.

July 18, 2012 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Derp

BAM! BOP! POW!

THWACK!

OOF!

July 18, 2012 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
    • ddggg

July 18, 2012 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • kevin

the batman comics have been incredibly dark for the last 30 years, since "the dark knight returns" series, along with "watchers," largely saved the genre. "batman: year one" was another dark series. those were the direct inspiration for these three latest films. and if you know anything about the marvel universe, it is absolutely gritty, ralistic and at times very dark. for years, tony stark fought alchoholism. dark phoenix destroyed an entire planet killing billions of peaceful beings. the scarlet witch went mad and essentially destroyed the avengers. the same avengers who were once all....ALL killed by a mad omnipotent being called korvac.

July 28, 2012 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  21. Annia

I could NEVER despise this terrific/humble/down to earth actor. Can't wait to see more of his movies. Hoping he'll be around for a long time. Tom Hardy is so talented, right up there with Gary Oldman, Damian Lewis, Collin Firth, Ewan McGregor, Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren and others. Best regards to him.

July 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ace

Very well said Hardy. I cannot wait to see this movie and "despise" him. He will be amazing, no doubt about it.

July 17, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Dossfx

Nolan has surrounded himself with class actors who aren't egotictical. I'm looking forward to watching this last chapter in his Batman series!

July 17, 2012 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  24. KajinPL

I'm sure he will do fine as Bane.

July 17, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |