Nick Cannon's not sure if 'Idol' can afford Mariah
July 17th, 2012

Nick Cannon's not sure if 'Idol' can afford Mariah

There have been rumblings that Mariah Carey is in consideration to be an "American Idol" judge, but her husband Nick Cannon has hinted that producers would need to write a hefty check if they wanted her to come on the show.

Cannon recently told TMZ he’s not sure if the TV singing competition can afford to hire his Grammy-winning wife.

"I don't know if they can afford Mariah Carey. That's a lot of money," Cannon said. "If they gave J. Lo $20 million, they might have to double that!"

Jennifer Lopez hasn't stuck around at the judges' table though, as she and Steven Tyler announced last week that they're departing, leaving Randy Jackson as the last judge standing.

What do you think - would Mariah make a good "Idol" judge?

1. hunting gear equipment

Excellent weblog right here! Also your web site rather a lot up fast! What web host are you using? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink on your host? I desire my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

August 5, 2012 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. SlingShotWarrior

tez08: You need to confirm the facts before you try to make a statement to make yourself sound intelligent. Diva is indeed a latin word, but when translated to English it means goddess. Do I think Mariah is a goddess? Not particularly, but she thinks she is.

July 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Taylor

Nick is nothing but a trick........his wife is not all that. She is not worth 40 mil.

July 18, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

Is he a cross between a manager and a pimp ? Her voice used to be fabulous but her entertaining style was vulgar . She has no acting skills and now performs only on the home shopping club......40 mil ? I doubt !

July 18, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rachel

I've got news for ya, pal....... Mariah is worth 3 times as much. This girl would be a HUGE asset to the show. I wonder if they could pull it off (getting that kind of $$ out of the bank).

Mariah on Idol? H*LL YEAHHH!!!!!!!

July 19, 2012 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tree

she not all that....................

July 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nancy

I heard the new judge is going to be Harry Schlong. What do you guys think about that? I am not sure what I think I guess I am ok with it. He Has had a long and hard career fighting his way to finish.

July 17, 2012 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pam

I liked when they had Kara as a judge. She was smart, talented and well respected in the industry. That's the kind of judges AI needs.
    I am hoping Adam Lambert gets on board. He was the best performer (not vocalist) EVER on Idol. Every week we weren't sure what he was going to do next.

July 17, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • humafewbars

mariah would be the perfect loopy hasbeen like Paula. Unpredictable and a bit off center for all her meds. love that

July 18, 2012 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. shore0101

i have a feeling M will get the job...she also has an amazing voice..her songs so hard to sing...nick i thought was too young for her at first but the marriage looks awsome and they are a solid couple..i love it.

July 17, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MickeyMouse2012

Greed, That is what it is all about! Mariah has more money than she can spend in 10 lifetimes.... Hope she doesn't get the job!

July 17, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

you are right. She is loaded. Greed is an ugly thing.

July 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

Greed – It's the American way. Capitalism. Capitalize on whatever you can. If she were a white woman the sky would be the limit. But since Mariah is half black, well then she must have a cap on what she can earn? Go for it Mariah. If they offer you $40 million, take it!

July 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lisa W

Why don't they think about getting a "real person," meaning a music consumer, to be a judge....

July 17, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mermaid

PLEASE get some REAL judges! People who are not afraid to actually "judge" instead of reassuring the contestants that they are special and unique like snowflakes. I love Steven Tyler, can barely tolerate J Lo, but I quit watching when these "panderers" could only praise and swoon. You learn absolutely nothing from constant praise; only to keep doing the same! Critique is what helps you improve and shine. Also, why don't the judges have 50% of the vote for who goes home and who stays? Anyone who isn't afraid to actually JUDGE and knows more words that "dawg" or "in it to win it" would be a huge step UP!

July 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Roger

Aretha Franklin has expressed interest and I think she'd make a great judge. She would not sugar coat it as Steven and Jennifer seemed to do a lot. Also, if Adam Lambert were a few more years removed from AI, he'd make a great judge, but perhaps he could fit into this role now – worth pursuing – as far as Randy is concerned, he's the ringmaster of AI having stuck with it from the beginning and he should stay – unless he feels it is time to go and assume another role in which case a whole array of possibilities opens up. I'm not all that worked up about Mariah judging though – she's got one of the most beautiful voices in the world but I don't think she'd be right in this venue. Anyway, that's just one fans opinion!

July 17, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Danimal

Wow! Nick seems to really know how to feed Mariah's ego, but I don't think saying Idol can't afford her will help her get the job. People in general are sick of diva behavior and Mariah is one of the biggest diva's around. Mariah is about as interesting as a bowl of fruit. Idol needs someone exciting, edgy and fun, not another over-hyped diva that just wants exposure to promote their next album.

July 17, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cynthia montavon

how about stevie nicks and david bowie or anne wilson from heart and tom petty someone with some real talent and zero ego...

July 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. NotAFan

I can't stand her and hope she doesn't do it.

July 17, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Louie

In her mind no one is good enough for her. She has enough ego for ten people. I don't think she has the ability to judge fairly.

July 17, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  16. abby

Mariah deserves no more than JLo got (which was already too much) I also agree Mariah is too much of a diva. Bring a real person in with Randy!

July 17, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  17. JusThinkn

lol! i don't know who NC said this to, but if i was them the most appropriate response would have been "Shhhhhhh.... just be quiet."

July 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Roger

Stop with the big names and faces! I really enjoyed Idol in the beginning and then it became more about the judges then the talent. Need to get some judges that know voice,music mix, stage present, and the like. Lets start making it about the contestants and their talents and no about the judges.

July 17, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
    • CJ

You are so right. I haven't watched Idol since they started with the big names to judge.

July 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Steve

LOL...and here I thought that J'lo's deal was laughable (they spent most of the shows profits on their contracts with their "star judges" who are now fleeing the sinking ship), and to even think for a moment that a moderate and occasional talent like Mariah Carey would be worth even a sliver of that is ridiculous.

July 17, 2012 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  20. TT

I wouldn't give her even a dollar to judge. I have never liked her. She is too much of a diva (in her own mind).

July 17, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • tez08

You know "diva" is Latin for b!tch, right? It is not a complimentary term, yet so many women call themselves divas as if it makes them special. It is a word used to describe those who think more of themselves than they should. So yes she is a diva. Nice rack, though.

July 17, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • mimi

I hope they didn't pick her. I can not stand her! Diva, vixen, b!tch, all the same. That will be idols last year for sure. The ratings will fall with her on there. On second thought.

July 17, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dude

Honestly she has way more fans than haters. Lol so I am quite sure the show's ratings would increase. And how would anyone know "diva" is spanish for b!tch? This is America, we don't speak illegal! ;oP

July 17, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • jennifer lopez

I would know, I am the biggest diva of them all.

July 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • tez08

@Dude: Latin, not Spanish, you puta! You know, like they spoke in ancient Rome? Honestly, what 3rd-rate Government school did you flunk out of?

July 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

LOL! You're just a bunch of jealous, broke-assed haters sitting behind your computers with no life. You wish you had Mariah and Nick's life. They are both successful and getting paid! Go for it Mariah! It could give your career the boost it needs. Ignore the haters.

July 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |