Russell vs. Roman on 'True Blood'
July 16th, 2012

Russell vs. Roman on 'True Blood'

[This post contains spoilers for the July 15 episode of HBO's "True Blood."]

The Authority finally captured Russell on Sunday's episode of "True Blood," and it turned out to be a very bad idea.

Russell’s wolves attacked as he cornered Sookie, but she defended herself with her fairy laser magic. When Eric went in for the kill, Bill stopped him, suggesting they may be able to live if they delivered Russell alive.

Members of the Authority rushed in to take Russell away. They insisted Sookie and Alcide’s memories be erased. Bill pretended to glamour Sookie (she’s immune), saying he would erase all her memories of him and Eric so she’d be free to live her life as she should - in the sun. She got very upset. (Hey, it was a tough night. Let it out, Sook.)

Eric slowly approached Alcide, mended his wounds with his blood, and glamoured him. This is the stuff fanfiction sites are made of. For a moment, it almost seemed like they were going to kiss. Instead, Eric ensured the end of Sookie and Alcide’s romance. He’s jealous!

The next morning, when Sookie tried to touch Alcide to feed him memories of their adventure hunting Russell, he recoiled. And she knew it was Eric’s doing! The fact that he’s using another man’s (mostly empty) brain as a medium for flirtation is twisted, arrogant and totally romantic.

Elsewhere in Bon Temps, Luna was alive! She was frantic about Emma, who had run off to her crazy grandmother’s house. Martha brought Emma to visit Luna, and they made nice. In fact, Luna asked if Martha and the pack could protect Emma from the shifter hunters.

Sam and Andy went to the anti-vampire store to investigate who's been shooting shifters. When the owner tried to shoot Andy, Sam got him first.

Meanwhile, Andy’s partner Jason was still looking into his parents’ death. He told Sookie that he suspected they were killed by vampires, and she insisted they go to Faerie.

Sookie interrogated Hadley and Claudine’s brother Claude (a character readers of Charlaine Harris’ novels know well) at the nightclub. He admitted that Sookie’s parents were attacked on a bridge by a vampire who was drawn to their car by the smell of Sookie’s blood on a Band-Aid. Oh brother, the last thing she needs is more guilt.

After he left Sookie, Alcide went to visit his pack and declare himself packmaster. But he needed a second in command to challenge the leader. A woman stepped up - readers of Harris’ novels, I suspect this is Jannalynn? –  so get ready for a showdown.

Lafayette visited his mother Ruby Jean, and it was amazing (please, more of these two and less of Terry, Arlene, Hoyt, Bill, Tara…). She told him that Jesus was being tortured by an evil man, though she admitted she had no idea how she knew that.

At Fangtasia, Pam broke up Tara and Jessica’s fight. She told Tara she was proud “the way a human’s proud of a well-trained dog.” This was another homoerotic moment, and I think these ladies have a better chance of consummating their sexual tension than Eric and Alcide.

Jessica only got more upset when Hoyt tried to get back together with her. She told him he looked ridiculous and he replied, “that’s one opinion.” No, Hoyt, that’s all the opinions, so please go home and change immediately.

He did not go home. Instead, he decided to get sucked dry by a vampire outside the club. A van full of men rolled up and they killed the vampire, then recognized Hoyt and dragged him into the vehicle.

Oh, and Terry fled the fire monster and then told Arlene he was leaving her. So, bummer for them.

Back at the Authority, Roman seemed content to keep Bill and Eric alive. Bill emphatically pleaded his allegiance to mainstreaming, while Eric casually admitted, “there are certain humans I’ve felt protective towards. In the past.” Aw, Sookie!

Eric insisted on visiting Nora, who was still in a trance-like state of prayer. When she heard that Russell was about to be executed, she told Eric it was proof that “she” (Lilith?) had been right all along.

Salome supposedly “silvered” Russell, but it was obvious she wasn’t on the Guardian’s side. Sure enough, during the execution ritual, Russell shot up like a bolt and attacked Roman. He yelled, “peace is for p*****s!” and staked Roman.

Though a lot happened in this episode, it mostly felt like set-up. But Russell’s back, so that’s fun. Is the Guardian really dead? And will Lilith just rise already?

What did you think of last night’s episode?

Post by:
Filed under: television • True Blood • TV recaps

1. Suez

Salmone is salmone and Lilith is Lilith. If you study some religions lilith was actually believed to be created by God. But, she was to strong willed and she was killed then came Adam and eve. I thought it was creative how the writers threw her name in there. They did some homework. :) if Romans really dead that bites ass!

July 21, 2012 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Deb

SO happy to see John Billingsly back as the Coroner! He's a great talent. I hope they write him into more episodes!

July 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Poodlegirl

I totally agree with EWench about the casting of Chris Meloni...I won't miss him. Russell is a hoot, he is so droll and sarcastic, he has some of the best lines. I hope the writers turn Tara into something worth watching, she's another character I wouldn"t miss. Please bring back sassy LaFayette, I'm starting to see glimpses of him !!!

July 19, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  4. painlord2k

Roman is probably out of the picture for now; but, as we know, Russel think there is a way to bring back vampires from the True Death, so, maybe there is one (or more) way to prevent a vampire from being killed when staked.
    What about Roman having his heart removed (and safely stored) or armored or simply moved around the chest. He could feign death without being really dead. If Bill (and Erik and Russel) is able to endure the sun with fairy blood, then Roman could know some trick to endure a stake in the chest. Also, the weapon used is "holy" for Roman, so it could not work as intended on him.

July 18, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. Branden

HATERS HATERS HATERS!!! I am LOOOOOOOOVING where the show is going! I'm excited that being a vamp is FINALLY giving Tera the backbone she needs! I WAS excited for her and Jessica to be friends but that didn't last long, lol! I don't understand how Tera was able to overpower Jessica though since Jessica is older. I didn't like that! I'm loving this season though! Can't wait for next weeks

July 17, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. no no

please please let Roman not be dead, i want to see a civil war break out between the vampires, with Roman on one side and Russel on the other.

July 17, 2012 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. Eric

Obviously lilith is actually salome. I mean eric worked it out as well when nora said she was right all along, he knows it is salome. But i think people missed a major clue in realising salome was lilith because all the stories about salome date back to when christ was born, however they didn't really mention anything before that obviously she was hiding herself from everyone about being lilith

July 16, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • T

You are mistaken about Salome's history.. I agree that I think she is up to something and the SHE that Nora was reffering to I belive is Salome, but she is NOT Lilith. Salome is in the Bible. She was the one who supposedly seduced her unlce in order to be ina position of power to ask for the head of John the Baptist. There was a whole conversation she had about this with Bill. HSe said, " the humans I knew in my former life were much more cruel then any vampire I have ever known"

July 21, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. EWench

Yes totally agree – Tara should have stayed dead and the whole Terry / Arlene story – though I like their characters they always have boring story lines. Much as I have drooled over Chris Meloni all these years on SVU and was thrilled to hear he was on this show I find myself not so sorry he is dead – he didn't really pull off the whole "ancient vampire" thing, he still sounded like a cop. I feel like the whole Authority was totally miscast, I don't like or find any of the characters esp interesting. I am a huge fan of the books and I am sorry they have totally deviated from them at this point – the stories they are coming up with are not an improvement!

July 16, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. RH

Totally agree with this "less of Terry, Arlene, Hoyt, Bill, Tara…" comment. Their storylines are distracting. Wish it focused more on the book although the addition of christopher meloni as head of the authority was a good move. Is he really gone?

July 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Leigha

I was SHOCKED about Roman..he can't be gone so soon! So happy to see Russell back to his old self, though. He was always fun to watch. I suspected Salome being a sneaky lil tramp from the get-go. Loved the LaFayette/Ruby scene..one of the best of the night....however..couldn't top Eric glamouring Alcide...DOUBLE YUM! I am enjoying this season..less Terry and Hoyt please..so over them already.

July 16, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. CS

We enjoyed the episode last night. If Roman is truly dead, true waste of Christopher Meloni being added to the show.

July 16, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |