Jennifer Lopez departs 'Idol': 'The time has come'
July 13th, 2012

Jennifer Lopez departs 'Idol': 'The time has come'

After weeks of speculation - and some heavy hinting on "Today" Thursday - Jennifer Lopez confirmed on Friday that she's leaving "American Idol."

The 42-year-old actress/singer and mom to 4-year-old twins Max and Emme told "Idol" host Ryan Seacrest on his radio show that she had to take something off her plate, and it looks like that thing is "American Idol."

"I honestly feel like the time has come, that I have to get back to doing the other things that I do that I've put kind of on hold because I love 'Idol' so much," she explained. "I could just keep doing 'Idol' for the rest of my life, but that would be giving up a bunch of other things. I feel like we had an amazing run."

Lopez, who has served as an "Idol" judge for two seasons, reiterated how difficult a choice this was for her. "It's been a long thought process ... I really have been torn," she told Seacrest, adding later, "It’s really going to be hard for me to go."

"I have my movies and music and my this and that ... and it just gets more complicated, as the kids get a little bigger. It started feeling like it was a lot, and something had to give. And that's, I think, where I am right now."

Just yesterday, Lopez's fellow "Idol" judge Steven Tyler announced that he was leaving the show to focus on his music.

“After some long...hard...thoughts…I’ve decided it’s time for me to let go of my mistress ‘American Idol’ before she boils my rabbit,” Tyler said in a statement from Fox. “I strayed from my first love, Aerosmith, and I’m back – but instead of begging on my hands and knees, I’ve got two fists in the air and I’m kicking the door open with my band."

The one judge left standing - Randy Jackson - is rumored to be on his way out as well, while Mariah Carey and Adam Lambert are among those rumored to be in the running to step in as new judges on the Fox show.

Filed under: American Idol 2012 • Celebrities • television

1. Meh

everything else has come inside her so why shouldnt her time come with the show?

August 6, 2012 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. She Stinks!

She's lying as usual. She was FIRED! Bad ratings and her poor performance contributed to her being fired. She is a low class no talent tacky old has been desperately hanging on for fame. She is a loser. It's time to give it up JHO, go away, back to obscurity!

She Stinks!

July 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ohsnap

I tell you I'd like to have her agent. For a minimally talented person (dancer, singer, actor) she certainly makes money.

July 16, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. same with Tyler

Aeorsmith is going back on tour also...jlo and steve did their 2 years gig with idol to get them out there again and now they will be touring...do you people not get how it works...

July 16, 2012 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. you people scare me...

she only had a 2 yr contract and then preparing to go on tour..stop hating people.

July 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bea

I think if they are still going to have "American Idol" they need to have someone who really knows the music industry of talent...You can't have people who are known because they are cute and have fans from past idol shows.

July 16, 2012 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. duh

I'm available for the job and will even do it for 1/4 the pay, heck, even that's negotiable.

July 16, 2012 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. DAve

Just kill the show. It is done, over. It's run it's course. It's tank is empty, it's the last straw

July 16, 2012 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. roy

Now drop this boring show from TV.

July 16, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  10. sam

Charlie Sheen Charlie Sheen Charlie Sheen

July 16, 2012 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Meh

I want to watch the show where he bangs the broad from the Fiat commercial.

August 6, 2012 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  11. TPF

Let Stevie Wonder and Ronnie Milsap be judges, at least they could judge by listening to the singers instead of judging how they look. The real winners are the ones that did not win but were in the top 5.

July 15, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Carrie

Good she made me sick just like Steven Tyler....I have not watched Idol last year and will never go back very boring!!!

July 15, 2012 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tailgator

Tyler and Lopez sucked every bit of publicity for themselves on Idol for one reason – to boost their careers. What a great gig. Get paid millions and attract a whole new generation of fans.

July 15, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. Art Vandolay

Good riddance. Her judging skills were awful. The way her and Randy treated Jessica Sanchez, was disgusting last season. They helped rig it for that mor0n no-talent Phillip Phillip Phillip win. Here's hoping Jackson is gone too. -AV

July 15, 2012 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  15. Felix Thomas Clauss

She is way Kool.

July 15, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  16. Willy Brown

Randy Jackon should bring on Snooki, Paris Hilton and replace Ryan Seacrud with Prez Hilton.

July 15, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  17. Joyceee

I am a bit angry that both Steven and J Lo , were not all that popular then after two years of Idol, they are making all kinds of money and are in the spotlight and so bye-bye- Idol.

July 15, 2012 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  18. Name*Mac

Anybody but Lambert

July 14, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  19. James Franco

Time to pull the plug. This show has sucked since Day One.

July 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Someone

Judges – Limbaugh, Coulter, Garofalo, Maher – then sit back and watch the fun!

July 14, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Scott

American Idol should throw in the towel and end its long run. You hardly ever hear much about the winners anymore, except for Kelly and Carrie. But since it's pretty much Fox's biggest money maker it will probably be around for awhile. Although Mariah would be a great judge with over 20 years of experience in the music biz and enormous success, she is too good for this show and i hope she doesn't join that sinking ship. Adam is a pretty good singer but doesn't have enough experience to be a judge!

July 14, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Janyce

We will be sad to see both Jennifer and Steven leave American Idol. If Randy should leave it would be a hard sell for the people who have come to love them. Adam Lambert is a mistake, they should keep with the musicians and they should find someone from each genre. After Steven and Jennifer leave, if Randy should go as well, I think Seacrest will have a time all by himself, after all he does not make the whole show.

July 14, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Marguerite

will watch it at the last 3 finalists..not a big tv buff to begin with so I wait until the end of the season to watch.

July 14, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Bubba4

Making Adam Lambert a judge would be a HUGE mistake. He was easily the most polarizing contestant they've ever had: people either loved him or hated him. Personally, I would not watch it any longer if he became a judge.

July 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  25. pedro

I heard the new lineup is: Joan Rivers, Richard Simmons, and Johnny Carson

July 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Uncle Dutch

I hear Carrot Top's available. Oh, just in case you fly-over rubes ain't hip to the grift...the show's rigged.

July 14, 2012 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  27. darn800

How people can say the show is dead is beyond me!! Its still number one in the ratings during the time
    its on tv. If anything, get rid of all the fantasy shows and have a station that puts on only true reality
    shows all the time. All the fantasy cops shows have to go. Barf. True crime shows, thumbs up!

July 14, 2012 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  28. LEARNING

get off the computer, blackberrys with all this commenting, volunteer and help sick people, go do something proud. if you can't have fun with it ... then get off it.

July 14, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  29. JazzyNate

What's 'American Idol'? What channel is it on?

July 14, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  30. Guest

Pull the plug!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 14, 2012 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  31. Jebus Christ

Bow down to me. I am Jebus Christ. Thou shall not watch American Idol unless voting for a white guy who plays a guitar

July 14, 2012 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  32. Marguerite

she looked like she was just hangin out! .. i do not watch much tv .. but the 3 shows i saw she appeared to be just hangin out!

July 14, 2012 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  33. Francois

I just want to taste that big butt of hers....

July 14, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  34. FrankieD

Rats deserting a sinking ship.
    Just pull the plug on that show...it's waaay overdone.

July 14, 2012 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  35. Steve

I think Madonna and Jon Bon Jovi would work

July 14, 2012 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  36. BINGO.THATS MY GIRL..

WE TRAINED YOU WELL..

July 14, 2012 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  37. lay low

Btw has seacrest come out of the closet yet? I bet ya he does soon and good for him! toodles

July 13, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ~*~

@Fandancey: RICHARD SIMMONS !!! Lmfao ! He would end up on stage himself doing "sweating with the oldies". He is such an attention who re he would make the shows all about him and his spandex . That's too funny.. lol

July 13, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  39. TSRVT

They were pretty lousy at coaching the contestants.Get some judges who are relevant.

July 13, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Sokman

She killed it on South Park. My favorite part was when she sang the taco flavored kisses song. Never sounded better.

July 13, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  41. roy

It's time for this show to bite the dust same old format is boring, dull, and predictable. The shows voting proceedure allows the most talent singers to be voted off in faver of popularity.

July 13, 2012 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tania

Adam would be awesome. He is very trained and knows his stuff when it comes to music. He is very personable, and would have wonderful advice. He would be a perfect choice.

July 13, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  43. David

I like J-Lo... she's wonderful, but I didn't really like her on Idol. After Paula Abdul left the show, I have never been able to get into it again. Then Simon left. I think the show is over. I try to watch, but it just stirs memories of when the show was good... and it isn't anymore.

July 13, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  44. T in Dallas

Sheesh! Just kill the show it is dying a slow death anyway. In a bit of irony from Hollywood scary movies..at least the black guy did not die before the movie ended. I guess Randy Jackson wins!

July 13, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  45. ed

How I like reading comments from those who have not accomplished anything worth it in their life, try to bring down those who made something of themselves. JayLo is an accomnplished actress and singer, beautiful and a self made millionaire. Before anybody leave a negative comment look at the mirror first and ask yourself if you have accomplished anything worth mentioning.

July 13, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • boes73

I agree. she is one of the most down to earth, selfless and humble individuals you can meet. She never demands anything and is always willing to give. Wait a minute...ohhh...you mean JLo...never mind.

July 13, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • JR

Yes, we all know how successful she is. That still doesn't mean I have to agree with her opinions about the contestants or think she is a great actress, singer or the most beatiful woman in the world. If you're a big fan of hers, good for you – but that doesn't mean everyone else has to be.

July 13, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Speak for yourself!

How do you know that people commenting haven't accomplished anything? You're assuming that anybody here has nothing, but may not be the case. Most people just don't put themselves out there in front of cameras to flaunt it hoping everyone will love you. I live in a 4,000 sq. ft. house with all the amenities, have plenty of money, take great vacations, and can pretty much do anything I choose to. My profession is oncology doctor. May be nothing to you, but to me it's something. Now what do you do?

July 14, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  46. gman

alabama mom........you dont know anything about idol and could care less yet your reading and commenting about it. strange.

July 13, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Laura D.

Just let the show die while it still has a little dignity left. It had a good run, but maybe it's time to let it go.

July 13, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Alabama Moma

I have no idea (and could care less) what American Idol is or does...and Jennifer Lopez is among those who are "nobodies" as far as I am concerned...

July 13, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan Snipes

Are you blind? I'll tell you what she is. A gorgeous woman. I wish she could depart to my house. LOL

July 13, 2012 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan Snipes

I do not watch American idol but I bet you that you say that out of jealousy. No offense.

July 13, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • ed

FYI, the nobody you are talking about is a succesful actress, an accomplished diva, georgeous and very rich. And what your qualifications to give such a comment?

July 13, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Watching You

Wow, if she is a nobody, where does that leave you?

July 13, 2012 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Wes

I think J Lo and Tyler are just disheartened by the recent totally undeserving talentless winner..Its the show watched by stupid teen grils who votes the pretty boys who cant sing...

July 13, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Eric

And we care about this? Not!

July 13, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  51. skylarsky

I wish the whole show would depart.

July 13, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  52. tm9090

Chris Daughtry! Then I would watch again

July 13, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  53. fandancy

How about Richard Simmons? May as well stick with weird people.

July 13, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Dee

YAYYYYYYY! I couldn't stand JLo on that show. First, it was odd to have a no-talent singer judging the singing abilities of others, most of whom sing better than her! Second, she was all about self-promotion and not the show. She brought her name back into the spotlight and now she's done with the show. Jerk.

July 13, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Bubba4

If they make Adam Lambert a judge on American Idol...I WILL NOT WATCH IT – PERIOD!!!

July 13, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Marcella in California

it is sad news to know that Jennifer Lopez is leaving American Idol, she was the most caring, smart and beautiful that AI ever had as a judge. You will be missed Jennifer. We love You, young lady.

July 13, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Hell no!!! Mariah Carey and Adam Lambert stay home, please

these two are divas and ugly. Adam wears more make up than any women and Mariah should stay home taking care of her kids and boy toy husband. Period.

July 13, 2012 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • lcwisme

Not a fan of Adam Lambert. I think he's too arrogant. Mariah Carey isn't very humble herself either, in my view. Those two would definitely be bad moves for Idol.

July 13, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  58. I am done watching American Idol, Jennifer Lopez was the best,ever..

Without Jennifer Lopez in this show, I have to reason to watch American Idol anymore. My friends and i will miss you, Jennifer, your are PRICELESS.

July 13, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  59. vegas_June

Well I would say P-diddy would make the most sense, I mean he did do making the band, also you always have to have a hot female so lets go with Mariah Carey or Nicki Manaji or Joan jett, she is still relevant.

July 13, 2012 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  60. You will be missed georgeous Jennifer Lopez....

t was fun to watch you every week on American Idol, you gave us the audience ,a pleasure of your beauty, talent, smartness and kindness. Wish you did not have to leave American Idol, good luck in your movie , and singing career.

July 13, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Pppa

Every time I see the lame Idol commercial I wonder where the terrorists are when we really need them...

July 13, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pppa Is a pimple

With any luck, they'll hit you and your family so the likes of your kind ca be cleansed from the earth. Be careful what you wish for.

July 13, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  62. eastsidedude

Who do I want? Um...... anybody else.

July 13, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Hahaha

Tgbhy/John :

You're 2S2RT!*

*to stupid to read this!

See?

July 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  64. John

I thought this show was gone 5 years ago?

July 13, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  65. myearshurt

I never understood having a judge who couldn't pass the auditions herself....

July 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  66. giggity

either one from the following D00chb@g list:
    1- Bieber
    2-Kanye
    3- K-Fed (smartest man alive, got BS knocked up and does not have to work a day in his life)
    the list is open for suggestions, feel free to add more D00chb@gs, plenty around

July 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Stef

Love the Adam Lambert idea. How about another alumni like Kelly Clarkson?

July 13, 2012 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan - Canada

She already has a gig with Duets....which she'd be crazy to give up...

July 13, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Tracy

Adam lambert – bewaaah . I guess he has nothing else going on . I think the person she be a someone who has been in the industry for awhile and has had success – these leaves Adam out. I guess they are trying to drown this show and get it off the air

July 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Hahaha

HA HA HA
    AMERICAN IDOL:
    "BEST OF THE WORST AUDITIONS"
    I'D WATCH THAT!

JUDGES:
    *MITT ROMNEY
    *JOHN McCAIN
    *SARA PALIN

THEY NEED A DAY JOB!

July 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tgbhy

Well actually, I think Mitt will be a little too busy being President!

July 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Typical I.Q. of a Liberal thinking that Mitt Romney needs a day job, just goes to show how stupid liberals are.

July 13, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • giggity

how about pizza boy Cain ,and Gingrich?

July 13, 2012 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • haha's mom

Bobby ballsack will place his balls on his chest and do backflips into haha's mouth. Haha, why are you Butt fondled by ginger conga

July 13, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Watching You

Your kidding right, in another world maybe the morman gets to be president. The republican ruined their chances by picking him to run!

July 13, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  70. David

They must be deperate if they are considering Adam Lambert as a judge.

July 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  71. pjc722

Go out on a high note, American Idol, when you are still viewed favorably. DO NOT make Lambert a judge because, like Demi Lovato, he does nto have the chops to judge others in a full range of talent and I think you will lose a core of the audience with that choice. Simon Cowell won't see his show go up in ratings and neither will AI.

Let the original and copycats die off

July 13, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  72. yearofmonkey

Yay!!!

July 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  73. dreyna

This is not newsworthy. Easy come, easy go. It's not like she's irreplacable or anything and now she can go back to her little boy-friend and play house.

July 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

It's defintely more news worty that the false accusation of Iran wanting to nuke Israel, or the Republicans and democrats are fighting because they are SO different, or we are fighting all these was for MINE and YOUR freedom. Or we must bailt out rich people is we are to survive. Do you mean these news worty stories?

Actually, in today's media coverage of things, what is defined as newsworthy?

July 13, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  74. specter

Who's leaving what?

July 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Unemployed

So it's official...Randy has no talent and no place else to go....all the talent left this week, JLo tooks her looks (nothing else to contribute) and Steven Tyler made the right choice to do what he loves to do.
    Sorry Randy...hope you were good at saving some of those bucks! your gonna need it!

July 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vegas_June

Uh Randy has another gig, its called Americas Best Dance Crew. Before you put someone on blast, get your facts right playa.

July 13, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Watching You

WOW, he made more than you did in your whole life BEFORE he joined Idol.

July 13, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Adam Lambert

So, this girl's voice sounds like a cat in a washing machine, but I like her hair. I'm gonna vote yes and put her through to the next round. Yeah, I am so ready for this judging gig.

July 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gull A. Bull

is this really you Adam?? i love you !!!! no really – AI is sooooooo goooodd... it is my Guilty Pleasure !!! Keep it on the air for the next 25 Years pleeeeeeeze.... seriously...

July 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mariah Carey and Adam Lambert???? PLEASE, NOOOOOOOO

American Idol people should bring some one who has family values, young, beautiful and not the ugly and fat Mariah Carey and the gross looking Adam Lamber, he wears more make -up than any women on tv. please....noooooooooooooo, by the way Beyonce is to much of a fake and full of herself , we do not need an ugly diva such as Beyonce.

July 13, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Penny Nickels

How about Justin Bieber and Beyonce as judges? Not that either of them can judge worth a crap...

July 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  78. ironwolf56

Abandoning a sinking ship. That show should have been put out to pasture years ago.

July 13, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Romneysux

Why not get lambert, George Michael and Elton John and rename it Gay Idol?

July 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Liberateus

That a girl, Jen. Use American Idol to advertise your new album, videos, clothing line, etc....and then leave.

July 13, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • lisaspups

Liberateus - My thoughts exactly,

July 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Thomas

gLoRy, GlOrY, Glory... it's finally time... I want to be the next AI Judge. Since it is rumored
      that, for at least one season, AI wants to begin a new angle that involves using ongoing fans
      of the show and a 'volunteer' to be an actual American critic/judge replacement for one of the
      three judges. It saves money ( the volunteer judge will not receive a salary ) and it directly
      introduces a conniver American citizen INTO the show to prove that each contestant is or
      is not considered to be the best of the Best and actual STAR's.

Hey, AI is American and an American (taxpayer) volunteer and "FaN" of Classical, Progressive
      Country, Jazz, Blues, HH and Rockin Roll is a drop dead perfect method to continuously re-enlist
      "American Citizens" into the attraction aspect of judging, not just entertainers, musicians and
      singers from around the world.

Yes! No? Yeah, sure it is.

The judge can be voted back for more than one show so long as they are reinvited by way of
      popular votes, and another show if their talents, skills and genuine love of American "POP" prove
      to be acceptible to the fans of AI ( We The People of the US of American Idol ).

Sign me up. Yeah BaBy...yeah! I wannabe an AI judge!
      John Thomas
      July 13, 2012

July 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Lucas

How about Whitney Houston? Oh yeah she OD'd!! my bad too soon

July 13, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  82. PhilG

Jennifer's chair at Idol was dispondent and committed suicide by rolling itself into a dumpster.

July 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aaron

This person has 100% no talent but just has to show anyone can be on TV these days.

July 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rodney Allen Rippy

The chair couldn't get rid of that J-Lo stink.

July 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Johnston

Oh No !

July 13, 2012 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Rodney in Dallas

I quite watching Idol after season 5. It really is time to take this show off the air.

July 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Joe

Who cares whose gonna judge AI? The winner will be the same guy with a guitar anyway. It's more of a popularity contest than a talent show. I'm done..

July 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liberateus

Right on, Joe. If it's a cute guy who acts cool and can sing pretty good-he's the pre-determined winner. There were two girls on the show who had ten times the voice-but young girls do the voting–and they vote for the cute guys.

If nothing else, they should have one male/one female winner.

July 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • ronnuebx

If that's how you feel then why the hell are you here reading the article moron.

July 13, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  86. daniel

I haven't watched it in a loooooong while. And that was for one season only. I dare say, I'd rather watch paint dry.

July 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grumpster

I'm more into watching grass grow as a form of entertainment than AI. And at the pace it's growing with no rain, it's still better.

July 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  87. THOMAS

America!! Haven't we had just about enough of this stupid show. Give up on it....PLEASE.

July 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Luther

If they put Adam Lambert on the show, I'm done.

July 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  89. God I hate this show....

This show was over when they hired Ellen Degenerate....you know when they hire a comedian to be a music judge that they are really saying "we're only here for entertainment purposed only – please do not take us seriously"....

July 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Watching You

What may shock you, is that Ellen has her own recording company!

July 13, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Min

More time for what? chasing 23yr old boys?

July 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Grumpy

Who cares? I stopped watching "Idol" a few years ago.

July 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Gisabun

Only time I ever watch any reality show is when there is a good mudic guest/mentor performing. Otherwise, couldn't care. American Idol is a poularity contest – nothing more.

July 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Michael

I'm going to pray this show finally goes away....OK everyone hold hands and close your eyes....

O God:
    Ease our suffering in this, our moment of great despair
    Yea, admit this good and decent woman into thine arms in the flock in thine heavenly area up there
    And Moab, he laidest down in the land of the Canaanites
    And yea, though the Hindus speak of Karma, I implore you
    Give her a break.
    Baruch Ata, Hallelujah!

Oh wait that was Clark Griswald.....

nevermind.....

July 13, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  94. anonymom

She's leaving to do other things she wants to do? Like what? Singing?? Why??? AI is the only thing I enjoyed watching her do.

July 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  95. *

@Cherie123..lol..Randy's slang. That's funny.

July 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  96. xfiler93

really dont care what this flake celeb diva does.

July 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Gino

She can't judge. Can't sing.

July 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  98. SMdawg

Here's a cast for ya: Daniel Tosh, Jon Bonjovi, and Janet Jackson. That gives you the offensive guy, the rocker, and the kind (and token black) judge.

July 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  99. mannydanny455

The show jumped the shark when Simon left. And lost it's veracity when Adam Lambert didn't win. I hope Lambert does NOT judge, for his sake.

July 13, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Evangenital

Puerto Rican trash!

July 13, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Catheline

She's leaving? Good. Now she'll have more time to devote to styling all those ridiculous wigs/hair extensions.

July 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

@Catheline – LOL! You sound jealous of Jennifers wigs/weaves!

July 13, 2012 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Lasti

Um..... Sharon Osbourne!!!!!!!!! Please go to American Idol!!!!!

July 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  103. SMdawg

They should totally hire a comedian like Daniel Tosh for it. The show needs new blood and a refreshed audience.

July 13, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  104. PJS

It was time for a major change...neither Steven Tyler or JLo brought anything to the party. Now, if someone could get Randy a vocabulary lesson and then hire a couple of interesting and judge-worthy people, they might have a much better show. I would love to see Adam Lambert in the judge's seat (or anywhere, for that matter).

July 13, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  105. sortakinda

She had more feelings for this TV show than she had for Marc Anthony--she wasn't torn, sorry to go and didn't care what time it was. Bye bye MA-no room for two women in that marriage.

July 13, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  106. sortakinda

She tried out for the show anonymously. Three notes into her song, she was asked to leave the studio, the city, the state and the country.

July 13, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  107. snowdogg

Who gives a D A M N anyway?

July 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  108. El s*xo

I love that woman,you are all so jealous.I'll bet all of you are fat,ugly and disgusting,don't hate Jenny 'cause she's beautiful.

July 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Evangenital

It's not hate, it is not understanding why a talentless woman has become so successful. That's what it is.

July 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monkey

People hate her, hate Kim K, some Jersey Shore cast, etc... because they are (mostly) beautiful and because they might have a lot or a little talent – but still they've made millions. They have very good agents and the public has made them popular – just how it is. Deal with it.

July 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Watching You

At least she has more talent and money than you do Evangenital! So what does that make you, a loser?

July 14, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  109. Annette

Sorry to see her go. I like Jennifer. I wish her the best.
    I really hope Adam Lambert comes on as a judge. That would be great. He is so talented. He was one of the most talented contestants ever on Idol.

July 13, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • n2video

Adam Lambert has to be one of the most "full of himself" contestants on American Idol. His ego knows no bounds.

July 13, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Dave

There HAS to be two more dorks out there willing to help Fox ripoff American consumers.

July 13, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Samuel R. Preston, III

Bring back that Dunkleberg guy!

July 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Jc

One, who cares?
    Two, who gives a shart?
    Three, J-Lo was hotter and more relevant 10 years ago. Having that no-talent waste of space as a judge for anything is useless. Anyone can buy a song from a writer and sing it through auto-tune. That doesn't make her a music industry great. Unfortunately ppl will like what they're told to like.

July 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  113. BW

American Idol takes the artistry out of music and turns it into a cheap sideshow for the brainless masses of stupid people that have to be told what to like because they lack the sense of individuality that allows them to make decisions for themselves.

July 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Joe

Adam Wadayawant from me! We want you to go away you annoying biatch!

July 13, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  115. HuPhart Ngau

If Adam Lambert becomes a judge, Idol is done for. He's far to in-your-face, flag waving gay, and it polarizes people enough to turn the T.V. off. He was far more talented that Chris what's-his-name who won handily over Adam, and it simply underscores the polarization. He's a bit too much of a risk...

July 13, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

You are so right! Why they would ask that mess to be a judge. So ridiculous. I'd burn my TV before I'd switch to see that freak!

July 13, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Roscoe Chait

Adam was polite when he responded to the rumor, but he has no intention of judging on Idol. Actually, they should have shut Idol down after his season. He is the best performer ever to grace that stage. The fact that he didn't win is shocking and disgraceful.

July 13, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cherie1234

IMO and from my viewpoint, Adam Lambert is not credible as a judge. Furthermore, he is annoying. Randy Jackson needs to go. His slang speak has worn thin after 10 years, "yo dude, you nailed it!" "yo dawg, that's the way to bring it," Ughhhh.. Jennifer and Steven were always in it for the short term. They were okay but it's time for them to go. Hopefully AI will choose some good judges but I think it's time for AI to realize they are at the end of the road and it might be time to call it quits.

July 13, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  116. jc

YES to Adam Lambert!!!

July 13, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Michael Slattery

Who is Jennifer Lopez ? What is Idol ? 'The Time has come', is she dying ?

July 13, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Nicko

Time to go back and putting out over-produced, horrible music while sporting lingerie on stage while you still have a few years in that body of yours.

July 13, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monkey

YES! That's what I am looking forward to. She's SO hot (okay, not so much in this picture, but still!) :)

July 13, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  119. tammy

mahria carey is fat and boring but adam lambert would be perfect

July 13, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Watching You

In a career spanning over two decades, Carey has sold more than 200 million records worldwide, making her one of the best-selling music artists of all time. In 1998, she was honored as the world's best-selling recording artist of the 1990s at the World Music Awards. Carey was also named the best-selling female artist of the millennium in 2000. According to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), she is the third-best-selling female artist in the United States, with 63 million certified albums. With the release of "Touch My Body" (2008), Carey gained her eighteenth number one single in the United States, more than any other solo artist. Aside from her commercial accomplishments, Carey has won five Grammy Awards, and is famed for her five-octave vocal range[2], power, melismatic style and signature use of the whistle register. (Source: Wikipedia)

July 14, 2012 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  120. Observer

Cancel it already. Nobody i know watches this stuff.

July 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  121. GaPeadh

J Lo needs the time to raise her boyfriend!

July 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • mslisac363

no she has to pay for hm and need more time to keep up with him. They say he likes men... She should have kept her husband – these young poeple don't want us 40+ people other than for money. They've got someone young on the side to help spend your money. I see why Mark's parents didn't like her and said she was just low class. Money can't buy you class or love.

July 13, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  122. BioHzrd420

Good. With Steven and JLo gone, maybe the love fest of "we're all winners" will end.

July 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Michael in Houston

Good! Now go away and stay there. You may well be one of the most overated so called celebs out there.

July 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave in San Diego

Right on Michael. I have often said that Lopez is a no talent hack. She can't act nor can she sing a note. She just had the great fortune to star in a movie about a dead Tijana singer early in her career. The story was tragic and in the public's mind. The only thing Lopez brings to the stage is a huge back side. I am guessing the decision was more the Producer's wanting to get rid of her than of her deciding to leave.

July 13, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Catheline

You hit it right on the mark, Michael. Ditto for Beyonce and all the talentless "entertainers" on the scene now.

July 13, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  124. leitrim

Now if they could get rid of Seacrest –he is the problem not the judges–the sponsors need to contact the producers and get that ego maniac off the screen -thats why I quit watching years ago.

July 13, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Mark of Tennessee

Bye!! Never liked you anyway

July 13, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  126. larry

idol is leaving too! R.I.P.

July 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  127. featherinhishat

How is 2 years a "run", let alone an amazing one?

July 13, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Canada

The show was over when Simon Cowell left. Not much life in it and might as well cancel the whole thing. It was rather boring to see those current judges there. They tried so hard to sell their bullcrap and the public just can't take anymore.
    See ya later !

July 13, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  129. johnny

I'm happy she is leaving. She was a poor 'token' eye-candy choice in the first place. Steve....go back to the band. This is your true calling. Randy....jump ship already. You are becoming ridiculous in your self-presentation on this show. Ryan....well, come out of the closet already.

So. This leaves no one left. Bye bye American Idol....

July 13, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Nodack

I don't know why, but it still amazes me how mean people can be. Last years show had contestants every bit as good as any other year or better. The judges were great. They were constructive and not demeaning like Cowel is. All things get old and due to the success of American Idol several copycat shows have popped up to where we have a glutton of these shows. You guys just enjoy being mean and I get it. It's the American way. We respect no one or anything.

July 13, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  131. BoogerFree

this is news, why?

July 13, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Do-Dah

"The time has come."

That's more like IT'S ABOUT TIME. I haven't watched a minute of Idol since she came on board. Perhaps I'll start watching again (well... depending on who they get to replace her).

July 13, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  133. John

Her and Tyler were let go and this is how AI let's then save face.

July 13, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  134. manyote

The show has run its course already. And besides, to J-Lo and S. Tyler, everyone was "Wow! That was beautiful man! Keep that up and you'll be the next Idol" bs blah blah blah.

July 13, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  135. columbus

Only one thing left to do: "Seacrest OUT"

July 13, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  136. calvin

Exactly, Who Cares! These are overpaid people for worthless talent. Do something contructive and seek the Lord, thats where the real wealth is!! And I don't mean monetary!

July 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Beth

The only career that Lopez was interested in promoted was her own. She was an awful judge. I quit after she was on a few times. Glad she's gone!

July 13, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  138. maestra730

Big deal. Another rat deserting a sinking ship. She stopped being really relevant years ago.

July 13, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  139. Deesnutz

When is this show going to die?!

July 13, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Freddy

Not soon enough, unfortunately there are too many 12 year old girls that watch that show for it to go away yet.

July 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  140. ES

I am VERY HAPPY that Jennifer Lopez will be exiting Idol. I could hardly stand watching her. She behaved as if it was her show and acted as if she was the show's spokes-person, often proclaiming her opinion as if it was the ultimate word or opinion. All the judges have a right to their own opinion including the other judges. I do not like J-Lo's music or her video's. She needs to stay in the porn category if she continues to making video like she does.

July 13, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  141. mdlazko

Without Simon forget it. He left the show a while back and I stopped watching.

July 13, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Shanna

I think the age limit is their biggest problem. You can still be an "Idol" and not be 28. It definitely needs to be revamped. I love listening to people that can actually sing, they're quite talented. Time for them to quit putting people through that won't ever have a chance at a singing contract.

July 13, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  143. No Fan

Good riddance - she's no authority on talent of any kind! Ugh!

July 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • roy

You're absolutely right she can't sing herself so how can she effectively judge others.

July 16, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  144. Bruce

The only part of Idol I continue to watch are the auditions. To see people sing who have no clue is absolutely hilarious. After those initial auditions, I stop watching.

July 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Jose

Casue she is going to coome sit on my face!

July 13, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  146. wizahdry

I'm no genius, but there is something else that happened behind the scenes here. Two of the three judges who both saw a resurgence in their careers from this show suddenly decide to leave..at the same time? What are the odds?? Probably a money thing or they got word that this show may be on its last legs. Randy Jackson is rumored on the way out and he has been there from the start. Ratings declined sharply last year which would mean the show would make some changes...

July 13, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Sunnysout

I'm sorry, Adam Lambert? Not exactly one who can boast any real longevity or lengthy experience. Where are the artists who have seen years of success, who have loads of experience and who really don't have anything going on? How about Cher or Bette Midler? If Randy goes, not sure I can tune in. The new judges will really have to be someone with tangible credentials.

July 13, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • LiLa

Actually, I like the idea of having Adam Lambert as a judge - he's articulate, caring and funny, has been in show business for years, and as a former contestant, he has a perspective that is unique among AI judges. Cher has had a stellar career and would also be excellent. Viewers could count on both of them to provide honest critiques. I don't think Idol needs a recording industry judge as they have Jimmy Iovine and he's excellent right where he is. Randy needs to go...but then, I've been saying that for years and he keeps coming back. Sigh.

July 13, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  148. coy4one

I stopped watching "Idol" three seasons ago. Old stuff and not very much good talent like the early shows!

July 13, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Jesus Christ Superstar

Does it really take that much out of them to sit on a stage at a desk and tell wanna-be singers how good or bad they are? Man, imagine if they had REAL jobs, like stocking groceries or being a delivery driver.

July 13, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Sam

Who cares?

July 13, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monkey

That's stranger because it is one of the highest rated shows. :/

July 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • sassysticks53

LOL! You read the article, then post who cares? Why read and post if you don't care?

July 13, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |