Seth Meyers on 'Live!' reports: 'No, no, no'
July 11th, 2012

Seth Meyers on 'Live!' reports: 'No, no, no'

If the team behind "Live! With Kelly" is considering "Saturday Night Live" head writer Seth Meyers for the show's open co-hosting position, Meyers doesn't seem to be aware of it. The comedian said in a recent interview that he's focused on the job he currently has.

When the Orlando Sun-Sentinel inquired as to whether Meyers is getting ready to fill the chair of longtime "Live!" co-host Regis Philbin, who departed last year, Meyers was pretty frank, telling the paper: "No, no, no, no, no."

"I know [Philbin's] replacement is a very important thing down there," Meyers said on a call from New York. "But, right now, what I would say to you: I'm really in love with the job I have. I'm very excited to be going back [to 'SNL'] for the election season, which is always fun."

No hard feelings for CNN.com readers, we're sure, as many of you are rooting for Michael Strahan to land the position anyway. The former NFL great was rumored to be on a list of three contenders for the co-hosting job alongisde Kelly Ripa on "Live!," with the other two being Meyers, of course, and Josh Groban.

For her part, Ripa kidded with Jimmy Fallon on "Late Night" Tuesday that Meyers isn't quite prepared for the job anyway.

"When you see Seth Meyers in the morning, it is like looking at a vampire," Ripa said of the "SNL" star, who's been hosting alongside her all week. "He's not ready - he's like, 'How do you do this everyday?'"

If you've been watching "Live!" this week, how do you think Meyers is doing as co-host?

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Poetry

I beloved up to you'll obtain carried out proper here. The comic strip is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you would like be handing over the following. unwell undoubtedly come more in the past once more as precisely the similar nearly very regularly within case you defend this hike.

August 22, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jayme

Seth meyersis the best one I've seen yet he is so cute and natural. He looks comfortable with Kelly and isn't afraid to make fun of her. I hope he fills the spot, I just smile watching him

July 17, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jo-Sto

Josh Groban or Harry Connick Jr. Can't stand Seth Myers.

July 17, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ayo

Srth is so smart and funny but I really enjoy Kelly & Michael's chemistry.

July 16, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MN

Josh Groban

July 13, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Pat

I still would like the Producers to give Martin Short a week with Kelly, I think they would hire him as the new permanent co-host!

July 13, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  7. RenegadeFL

Regis is irreplaceable...it's that simple.

July 13, 2012 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. NanookoftheNorth

Charlie Sheen ? I heard he's lookin' for work ;-)

July 13, 2012 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. Susan the DMB lover

SETH! Hand-down the funniest, off-the-cuff guy of the bunch. Watched it for ten minutes today and laughed more than I've ever laughed with the others. A pro. Improv to the nth. Witty. Smart. They should do whatever they can to nab him.

July 13, 2012 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
    • KTF

I would watch Live with Kelly more if Seth Meyers would please be the co Host..., Please hire him and Seth please say YES...

July 16, 2012 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. pierce

When I saw "Meyers" in the headline I immediately thought Mike Meyers?
    Who is this clown Seth Mayers? Guess I have been tuning out SNL for too many years. LOL
    And speaking of SNL, Lorne Michaels must be a geriatric by now.
    lol

July 13, 2012 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. pierce

Michael Strahan?

the ex football player who was sued by his sister in law for allegedly installing peeping tom equipment in her room?
    The same one who allowed a running back to get a record by not tackling him?

Just how much does Kelly appreciate women and ethical football?

July 13, 2012 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. Tina

Michael S is so boring. No. Nick L is boring. No. Josh is good, but why on earth would he want to do it? Seth is funny, love him on SNL. Would he really want to do it? Jerry O Ok. No to Mark, use. As fill in. I say stick with guest hosts for one or even two weeks at a time. No Michael, no Nick. I won't watch.

July 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bratfink

Josh has a singing career, although he is wonderful with Kelly. I'm pulling for Michael–he and Kelly work well together and he is as crazy as she is. Although Seth is OK, he's the low man of the 3 as far as I am concerned. JMHO.

July 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Cindy

I LOVE Josh Groban!! He is very funny, but don't know if his singing gigs would turn him away from accepting the job. Bryant Gumbel was good; love Martin Short and Jerry O'Connell. Lots of guys who would be great. Wish they would decide and SOON.

July 12, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Walter

This is unfortunate, because as long as Meyers is head writer, SNL will continue to be unwatchable.

July 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  16. chickawgo

Seth Meyers is a smart, funny guy, but he would not make a good co-host. First of all, he's a little manic and secondly, he says the word "like" a zillion times in every sentence. It becomes annoying and you find yourself counting the "likes" instead of listening to what he's saying.

July 12, 2012 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dan

I hope he gets the job... then I wouldn't have to see him on SNL anymore. He's the worst Weekend Update anchor since Colin Quinn.

July 12, 2012 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  18. Helen

Why have another daily co-host at all? Not that my opinion matters at all, but I think Kelly does a fine job with different co-hosts who make the hour more enjoyable.

July 12, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  19. CaraW

Please, please, please tell me that Nick Lachey is not being considered. It is way past time for him to just go away!

July 12, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Susan - Canada

I so agree....anyone, but Nick Lachey. He is almost begging for that job. His song to Kelly asking for the job, was embarassing....I would think that alone, would put him out of the running. I think someone like Howie Mandel, though he is quite manic or Martin Short, would be good. They are a little older and would attract older viewers, where Kelly would attract the yonger viewers.

July 12, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Becky

Enjoying Seth Meyers for sure!!! He is witty and adorable. But I vote for Nick Lachey. So in love with that man!! He would be so great to look at every morning!!!

July 12, 2012 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  21. Bribarian

never heard of this clown, therefore he's a nobody

July 12, 2012 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Zeibodique

Nobody has ever heard of you either. That makes you an even bigger nobody. Thanks for playing!

July 12, 2012 at 7:13 am | Report abuse |
  22. iBod

I think the only man, then, who makes sense to be the new host is Mark. Live! should go down the road of America waking up to a Husband/Wife duo. The chemistry would be great and the fans would love it!

July 11, 2012 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan - Canada

I don't think the majority of people would want to see her and Mark every morning. He's o.k. once in a while, but every day would start to get redundant...they're too "lovey dovey"...and all they'd be talking about is their kids. Just like if they hire Nick Lachey, all we'll hear about is his wife's pregnancy and once the baby comes, all we'll hear about is his baby, etc. I can't believe they're even thinking about Josh Groban....I find it kind of boring when he's on. Personally, I think Michael Strahan has the best chemistry with her....rooting for him!

July 12, 2012 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
  23. Melanie

I always sleep at this time since I work nights so I'll never watch anyway.. So I don't even care if they cancel this! :P

July 11, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jon

Frankly, I like him a lot on "Live". He is sharp & has good chemistry with Ripa. He is obviously a good
    comedy writer on SNL. But, too often, he is not given the opportunity to break loose & shine. His anchor
    bit is clever but needs more edge. Sometimes, he seems a bit reserved (or held back.) But, overall, he comes
    through. Just feel that he needs a break.
    Far too many of SNL's skits fall flat. But, he makes a terrific co-host. He is always personable & engaging.
    Maybe SNL: has simply run its course. And – no matter who gets the spot, Regis is a hard act to follow
    & any co-host will have to carve their own niche to make it work. I also like Strahan and Groban. Though
    I am sure, Strahan has the edge. Groban has a "younger" appeal & that might make Ripa uneasy.

July 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Plan John

Jon, You said (Maybe SNL: has simply run its course.)

I hate to to you this but it ran it course many years ago !!!

July 12, 2012 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  25. erich2112x

Take the job now, while you can. This will help make the fade from celebrity a lot more comfortable. Smoother landing.

July 11, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. FAJ

I think a singer such as Josh Groban or Nick Lachey would bring a bit of contrast to Kelly. Their singing could be featured sometimes. Both are strong candidates and I give the edge to Groban. Thumbs down to Strahan. He doesn't have the verbal skills that are required.

July 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  27. mthompson

Wow you guys! Give Strahan a break, he is actualy tolerable in small doses.... lol

July 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Joan Miller

Please not Michael Strahan. He seems like a nice guy but is not right for the job. He's quite boring and not very witty and he and Kelly simply don't make a match. When he's on, I fast forward through the host chat to the first guest. I love Seth Myers and would also be happy with Nick Lachey.

July 11, 2012 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Trezenia

Just Pick somebody Already! How long do we have to wait & see I frankly don't care anymore! There will
    never B as good as Regis was! I still say Billy Bush, looks likes Regis son, that would be a good choice!

July 11, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Diego

Thai food tends to induce pooping.

July 11, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Jeffrey

I find the chemistry between Seth and Kelly is spot on... I was cracking up all day.. Great timing! I haven't been too impressed by any other co-hosts. Kelly is super witty and Seth can keep up without taking a breath. Come on Seth you can do both Live and SNL. Although it could be rough, you're young!

July 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  32. crazybatmanfan

This show is crap and has always been crap. Boring morning show drivel. Kathy Lee is a disgusting cow who uses slave child labor to make her clothing line. Enter Rippa who is not cute and not funny and should go back to brain dead soaps, oh wait we're finally getting rid of those. So Philbin, who is one of the most intolerable men to even be on TV and how he keeps getting work I'll never know, who was supposedly the lead on this show after Gifford left, has bailed and we're trying to find someone to sit next to Rippa? How about that mentally disabled gal that was dropped by a bar in Tenn.? She would be more insightful and interesting to watch than Rippa and she only has a vocabulary of 30 or 40 words!!! But if they pick Michael (c'mon Farve buddy just fall over when I tap you on this meaningless play in this last game of the season so I can get the Single Season Sack Record!) Strahan it's about the same as the mentally challenged girl.

July 11, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • DebW

Wow. I don't even know what else to say to your negativity-laden rant. So sad for you.

July 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • lalagal

What a sad existence you live. Hopefully you realize it. So sad for you.

July 13, 2012 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  33. David C

I vote for Henry Rollins!

July 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Sean T.

If Michael Strahan gets the job I will never watch that show again. He would be an idiotic choice. I liked a report a few months ago that had Neil Patrick Harris or Dana Carvey becoming the permanent choice. I think the 3 that are reportedly being considered are bad choices

July 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Oscar disabled vet

PICK ME I WILL SIT ALONG SIDE OF KELLY...I WOULD BRING A GENUINE TAKE ON OUR GUEST'S ALL WOULD BE ON THE TABLE NO QUESTION WOULD BE OFF LIMITS...

July 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Marge

Nick Lachey has been trying to get the job for months. I think he would be a great addition to the show.

July 11, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Tina

Surprisingly, I really loved Josh Groban. He is funny, smart and connects well to the guests most of the time. Seth seems jittery and nervous, always trying to find the "right words" to say, he isn't a natural.

July 11, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Schedule 2 for Democrats to win in 2012

STOP Obama's war against Medical Marijuana Patients – Support UFCW Local 770

July 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  39. lance corporal

OK, OK, 1st off great with seth myers BUT you need to replace ripa with stefan the NY club critic

now THAT I would watch

July 11, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Leon David peris/Wolk Enterprises Inc.

What a Talent!