July 11th, 2012

'Dark Knight Rises' director: Hathaway 'nails' Catwoman portrayal

The character of Catwoman has been brought to life by a number of actresses, but for this month's "The Dark Knight Rises," director Christopher Nolan found the perfect person to fill Selina Kyle's catsuit in Anne Hathaway.

Nolan told CNN that the character "is the most alive presence in the movie in the beginning," and she also helps draw Bruce Wayne (Batman) out of his shell. "She's a breath of fresh air...and Anne Hathaway just nails the character, delightfully."

She did have to put in hard work to portray Catwoman, Hathaway tells us, and had to dedicate herself to getting stronger.

"You can't have little spaghetti arms when you're doing that," Hathaway, 29, joked. "A huge part of the character was her strength and you can't fake that, you have to actually become strong. And it was great to have the time to develop that strength and to also have the support that I needed. I've never played a character that was so dependent on that before."

Hathaway said she spent about 10 months preparing for the part and shooting the film, and she added that she surprised herself with her focus.

"I'd never done anything like that, nor believed that I could," Hathaway said. "I've never really been that person. And it was pretty life-changing realizing that I could commit to something that was healthy for that long. I did a lot of growing over the course of this film."

Fans of the superhero series will get to soon decide for themselves if Hathaway was the right choice when the movie bows July 20.

Watch the video above for more "behind-the-scenes" moments with Nolan and Hathaway.

Post by:
Filed under: Anne Hathaway • Celebrities • movies • theater

« Previous entry
  1. dave

Thank you Anne Hathaway for nailing it. I would like to return the favor.

July 24, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mimz

Anne Hathaway is a lovely person and delightful actress. I know she'll do well.
    What is all of the HATE about? If you don't have something nice to say. . . . ?

July 13, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. The Dude

"She's a breath of fresh air...and Anne Hathaway just nails the character, delightfully." And that was the biggest BS in the history of our time!

July 12, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

@The Dude: Even though you haven't seen the movie, much less her performance in it, you can still make such a grandiose assessment? What a drama queen, Diva Dude.

July 12, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Canada: America's Hat

I had the same reaction for this casting as I did when I heard Heath Ledger was going to be the Joker..and look how that turned out.

July 12, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. Marney

And you obviously can't tell that it's Anne Hathaway playing Cat women...... Not much of a disguise!

July 12, 2012 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. derp

"And that giant mouth which takes up half her face"

Would be a great place for my dick

July 12, 2012 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. chris hasiotis

I saw her in Love and other drugs and thought WOW Ann Hathaways chest sure has grown up

July 12, 2012 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Oy

Unfortunately, Anne Hathaway has an annoying and grating qualities like her laugh, her giggle, her annoying laugh. Not psyched about that casting. I'm guessing Nolan knows this or he wouldn't be touting her "wonderful" performance.

July 11, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • AJ

Saw it. She was excellent in the movie. She was not giggling at all. And she was fierce. Your hate is misplaced. And I am definitely a movie watcher. And all of you that could stand Goldie Hawn and her daughter for all these years can take Anne H. Also, she is not hot she is beautiful.

July 20, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Stan

Is It Just me or does Ann Hathaway actually make you not want to see the movie? I hate to say this be she must be related to someone as she just ruins a movie. hope the movie isn't wrecked...

July 11, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • bee

I think she will do fine as Catwoman .. she is gorgeous .. and god's know it has to be better than that Halle Berry crap from an couple years back.

July 12, 2012 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
    • John

Yep, just you, Stanley.

July 12, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • CKB

Absolutely. The only role I have EVER liked her in was as Andy in Devil Wears Prada. Why?? Because she was playing herself. An awkward person who can be dressed up under her chin. I don't want to see this because of her. Have you ever noticed that every single line begins with and is interupted by some "busy for the film" tic? Like drinking. She begins every sentence with the glass at her lips. Or the "what is my line again?" breath through the lips. Someone finally got a clue about Renee Z, hopefully someone will get a clue that Anne is a B actress on a good day.

July 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nwvotes

Which would you rather see? Vote @ Nationwidevotes.com #Avengers #Spider-man #DarkKnight

July 11, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Michael Keaton as Batman

Michelle Pfeiffer could kick her a**.

July 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  12. WHAT?

Hathaway usually picks her roles well – except for that God awful bondage flick she did.

July 11, 2012 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bob The Builder Jr.

@notafan If you don't have anything smart to say then don't say anything at all.

July 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. BlueDestiny

I love all the – HATE – that comes out whenever a celebrity is mentioned. The little people have no ethic, no civility, and are so hateful to others who have success.

Google philospher Ayn Rand's "Envy / Hatred of the Good for Being Good". It's a short read that will tell all you little haters why you act the way you do. Wake up and grow up.

Very much looking forward to the latest and all the performances, and ... no, I don't hate people for their success.

July 11, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ranier

She does absolutely nothing for me.

July 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Krandal

Really? With such pressing stories as "Why robots, clowns freak us out" on CNN, we spend time writing this? That's what's wrong with America these days.

July 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank Mondana

Yea, especially with a shortage of pages that CNN has to contend with. How they can fit these fluff pieces in has always concerned me.
      or
      One could just ignore the stuff one feels is stupid or unworthy of their time.

July 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  17. 4pease

I'll dip myself in milk iif this Catwoman will lick me.

July 11, 2012 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. bobington

I have to see this to believe it. I think she would make a terrible catwoman.

July 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  19. innocent bystander

notafan is an idiot. Anne Hathaway is hot as hell.

July 11, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • TimHathaway

Maybe for a dude. Few women can pull off short hair. She's not one of them.

July 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • notafan

Not, not at all an idiot. If you think Anne Hathaway is hot, then you are the one who is an idiot. Yuck!

July 12, 2012 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
    • notafan

If you actually think Anne Hathaway is "hot", you are not well.

July 16, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Anne Loves It Deep

Anne loves giant girth objects buried deep in her love box.

July 11, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Andie

Nolan gets amazing performances from his actors. I am looking forward to see how she portrays Catwoman.

July 11, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Newyorkprince

I think Anne Hathaway is beautiful and very talented. She takes risks as an actress and isn't afraid to work with very talented people or play roles that might not be in her comfort zone. She is great in Brokeback Mount. Rachel Getting Married, Devil Wears Prada and even in the not so great Love and Other Drugs. I have loved comics when I was a little boy and I am glad they got someone like Anne Hathaway to play Selina Kyle. I think she will get her humor without playing it Campy. Catwoman is funny not campy.

July 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  23. ricktewell

It always makes you wonder when the director comes out in the press to say how great their choice was for a role... Shouldn't the performance simply speak for itself?

July 11, 2012 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • newyorkprince

Have you ever watched an interview with a director? The most asked questions are about the actors and the performances in the cast. Journalist choice to report that because the normal moviegoer cares about the actors and not the technical artistry of film making. In every chris nolan interview he has said how great each and everyone of them. this journalist picked the quote about Anne to write about

July 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • zrxgrim

It will one way or the other. His commentrary gets more buzz going as we lead up to the opening. He was right on Ledger, I'm more concerned about the Bane casting...

July 13, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  24. Happy Dancing Gerbils in a Teabagger's Butt

Palintwit is running errands this morning so I'm filling in. Any questions ?

July 11, 2012 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  25. Michael Caliazzo/Caliazzo Hoagies

Anne is our next meryl Streep.

July 11, 2012 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  26. notafan

OMG!!!! I cannot stand Anne Hathaway. I have never understood what all the fuss is about her. She is not at all talented. She is always Anne Hathway. Never gets emersed in a character. And that giant mouth which takes up half her face is very distracting. She must have some really good PR people because her popularity makes absolutely no sense.

July 11, 2012 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Any adult who starts a comment with "OMG" deserves to be ignored evermore.

July 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |