Sookie boots and rallies on 'True Blood'
July 9th, 2012

Sookie boots and rallies on 'True Blood'

[This post contains spoilers for the July 8 episode of HBO's "True Blood."]

On the latest "True Blood," Sookie and Alcide were about to finally seal the deal ... when she vomited. Whoops!

“Alcide, you sure know how to treat a lady,” Eric said. Unfortunately, he wasn’t there to steal her away from Alcide.

No, Eric and Bill had come to convince Sookie to help them search for Russell. As she exclaimed, “a 3,000-year-old vampire wants to suck my blood. Must be Thursday!”

The four of them went to the concrete parking lot where Russell was buried. Sookie looked inside a worker’s mind and saw the image of a woman digging him up, and the culprit was wearing a necklace with an Authority seal.

Because he’s annoying (and kind of dumb), Bill was convinced that the perpetrator was Nora. My money’s on Salome.

In Shreveport, Pam forced Tara to work the bar at Fangtasia, and then reprimanded her when she tried to feed on a customer.

Jessica recognized Tara’s anguish and sidled up to the bar for some girl talk. She told Tara that her feelings were normal, and that it would get better. And when Jessica mentioned the rush of feeding on a human, Tara’s eyes lit up, and she admitted to enjoying it. Finally!

Jessica did make being a vampire sound incredible: “We’re going to live forever. We’re going to be young forever. The world, it’s like, wide open to us.” It was great fun to watch these two angsty young ones bond over how misunderstood they are, and talk about their makers as if they were strict parents.

But before their friendship had a chance to blossom, they came to blows over Hoyt. LAME. I guess he’s hard to resist now that he looks like a wannabe member of Duran Duran who’s also under the false impression that they’re a hardcore punk band.

Lafayette was also preoccupied with a boy: Jesús. (Lafayette's boyfriend - remember him? He's the guy Lafayette killed last season after being possessed by a demon. If you don't recall, we can't really blame you - he's barely been mentioned all season!)

Anyway, poor Lala fought back at the demon. He yelled, “I’m tired of all this bulls***!” To which I said, "Me too, girl, me too." This demon drama is preventing Lala from being his sassy self, and I’m as over it as he is.

Later, Jesús’ head appeared to Lafayette in the middle of the night, and his mouth was stitched shut. Lafayette’s mother had the same apparition, and she seemed to understand Jesús’ message.

Another thing that happened in this episode was that we saw a lot of butts! So. Many. Man. Butts. Andy’s bare butt really should have its own IMDb character page by now.

Anyway, with Andy and Jason investigating the deaths of Sam's friends, Sam went to tell Luna about them. But when he left her house, he was shot. Luna ran out after him and was killed. No! Poor Sam!

Also, Terry’s storyline is still happening. And it involves the mythical creature ifrit. Really? A smoke (and fire) monster? How uncreative. I shall now commence ignoring this storyline.

Sookie, Eric, the dude from the parking garage (there are too many characters already, I can’t learn another name), and Alcide (I actually forgot he was there because he’s a walking mannequin) arrived at an abandoned hospital. Sookie took the lead and charged in.

Now this is the Sookie we’ve been missing. The no-nonsense independent lady, not the pathetic victim we’ve seen so far this season. The parking garage dude was frightened, and lamented that he wanted to live to see New York. Eric said, “New York City smells like pee and the people are rude.” As an NYC resident, I can confirm that statement. Especially the pee part.

They finally found Russell, weak and in bed. He challenged Eric to, as his "great love Talbot used to say when we were buck hunting," give it his best shot. And then boo! Ah! Wolf attack?

This was a fun episode! Again, the main focus was on the (interesting!) vampire storyline. I’m thrilled that Sookie has located her backbone, and that Lafayette is finally facing his demons (um, literally). And Russell is back, no longer looking like a raw, pink Voldemort (shudder).

What did you think of last night’s episode? Who do you think set Russell free?

Post by:
Filed under: television • True Blood • TV recaps

1. Bobrek

simply AWESOME!! having a True Blood bdthriay party for my son.. A die hard Trubie who has gotten me hooked on the series also and these will make a cool tool for adding some different decorating.. maybe the magnet thing listed above.. look forward to seeing the new charactersThanks!!

August 13, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Poodlegirl

Enough storylines already... Fairys, shifters, vamps, wolves,Firemonsters(?????), and now vigilantes. Bring back sassy Lafayette (I forgot to put Demons in the roster). I love TB but its even confusing me.

July 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Melanie

I love True Blood and have read the books as well.
    I don't really like the Terry/Patrick subplot and agree with some of the other writers that it is a good time to go get something to eat and let the dog out. I was liking the Arlene/Terry plot much better and hope they get back to it.
    Sookie was finally her "old" self last night and really like the interaction between Bill/Eric/Alcide. Especially the sceen where Sookie is looking between her fingers and the three of them are barking like dogs! It was a really good moment.

And I agree, I think it was Salome to dug up Russell. IT would fit nicely with her character and the whole idea of her being such a mentor to Nora.

July 10, 2012 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  4. Sarah

Terry story line is lame so was good tune out point to get snack, let dogs in and out. I'm guessing Terry will remember the baby ghost stuff and go to Lafayette for help. Steve in drag would be good one: I didn't think of that but assumed it was one of Russell's 'kids' who got him out but couldn't figure out who it was and now that you've pointed it out Russell would so turn Steve to make a point. It bugs me that Godric was oldest and coolest and suddenly there is older still: I'm thinking Russell could have been Godric's maker?

I don't mind the fairy line. I also don't mind Tara. I loved Tara's character and wish she would have become a 'Blade' type or something. I heard of the Sookie – Pam friendship and was looking forward too it (but I've never read the books). Now that Tara's a vampire I wish Jessica would have been the one who turned her - Jessica showing up at Sookie's house and pressed into turning her. Now that would have been interesting with such a young vampire who was unwillingly turned becoming a maker to another vampire unwilling turned. And they could have had a partying blast. Now when I watch I just think 'why, why didn't you writers think of this! That would have been fun to watch'...

July 10, 2012 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sort-of-Fan

Read all the books. There was plenty of good ideas there to do shows about for 8 seasons. Where they're getting all the garbage they're showing is beyond me. Branden, I'd like to see it MORE like the books, but not exactly. A twist here and there is fine. Some of the junky characters in the book that have had a ton of screen time is beyond me. Lafayette is dead, Marianne was 3-5 pages in the books, Tara is a sub-character, Hoyt was mentioned a couple of times and no mention of the fairy cousins (yet, maybe). Sookie is easy on the eyes, though, that's a plus.

July 10, 2012 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Carol

I am a big fan of your work. Its so creative and such an unasuul medium. I hope you update Jessica with a Red Riding Hood costume. The Hoyt doll is great and I love the use of the scary baby doll. Anyway, keep up the amazing work.

August 14, 2012 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. Keylolo

This season is a snore. Boring as hell, taking forever for things to get going, compared to previous season, it feels very PG-13. Tired of sookies behind, cant stand her character and the people who should get more screen time like Pam/Eric get sidelined for storylines about Terry who we really dont care about. Been waiting to see Russell get back into the action and they are dragging that out as long as they possibly can. Let me guess, Sookie escapes a 3000 yr old vampire magically AGAIN. Bored. Wont be tuning in next season.

July 10, 2012 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. friendlyphil

I hope this is the last season. They have run out of good ideas and are just firing in every direction. There are too many story lines, trying to make up for a lack of depth in any one. I used to really like this program, but no more. Adios.......

July 10, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kathy

Love True Blood. I anxiously await to see every week. I like that it is different from the books because then you are not let down that they didn't include everything that was written. Would like it if Sookie had a romantic connection with Alcide because she has had that connection with Bill and Eric. There are always slow parts and the fire monster is filling that up nicely. Was a little scary coming down the wall. I believe it is Solome who dug up Russell. Would be strange if it was Lillith??!!!!! Looking forward to next Sunday.

July 9, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Emilie

Loving this season!!!! Looking forward to next week, can't wait to see who dragged off Alcide. I hope they don't kill him off, he's nice on the eyes. ;) Also the showdown with Russell, more of that and alot less of Terry's storyline.

July 9, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. GaPeach

I am totally hooked on this show! Never miss an episode. The only other show that booked me like that was The Sopranos. Alcide is not....doesn't have to talk a lot. Strong, silent type! Have to admit that I would still like to see Sookie and Eric get it on again! Whew!!!!!

July 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  11. patti raiteri

Sookie much better last night and more like the character we love. I can tolerate the storyline with Sam and wish they would bring it back to Sookie and to the main storyline. The whole Terry storyline sucks and can't wait until that one ends.. The storyline with Lafayette is dangling with no real hook. It needs to be linked to the Bill/Eric/Sookie/authority wtih them against Lillith soon. It appears to be slowly trying to do that. The fey(fairie) story is okay to simmer since I think it will be good when the time is right.

July 9, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. CS

I think it was Salome that dug Russell up. Great episode, except for Terry story line. Quite a few good laughs last night!

July 9, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Fifi

Your sarcasm sounds just like my husbands. He's jumped ship, too and I'm teetering. However, the story line of Tara and Pam could get very interesting. And regarding Alcide a "walking mannequin"... WHO CARES!!!!! ;~)

July 9, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branden

RIGHT?!?!?! OMG the fact that he doesn't talk much, just makes him that much HOTTTTTTTER! lol ;oP

July 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Todd

My girlfriend loves this show, but I just can't get into it. There are SO MANY characters. Every time I start to get used to someone it jumps over to someone else I can barely remember.

Maybe if they killed half these people off, it'd be interesting.

July 9, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. topdecker

I bet the vampire that dug up Russell is reverend Steve in drag. Steve found him because Russell turned him.

July 9, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lucy

I read all of the books and I enjoyed them. I watched the show a couple of times and it was so different from the books. It didn't work for me at all.

July 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mike

consider the shark jumped.

July 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. bee

Love love loving this season .. so it is different from the books .. good .. I like the books as well but love the show .. and Eric ;)

July 9, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Matt

I am not usually one to point out mistakes, but.....
    You write "back in Bon Temps" and go on to talk about Fangtasia. Fangtasia is not in Bon Temps.
    Other than the correction, I really enjoy reading your summary of the episodes. You usually hit "the nail on the head".

July 9, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Deb

Yawn. Big yawn. This season is so far removed from Charlene Harris' novels I don't recognize anything or anyone anymore. I truly enjoyed the relationship that developed between Pam and Sookie in the books – and now its going to be Pam and Tara? Huh? The "Authority" is beyond boring. Elliot Stabler needs to go back to catching bad guys. At least Jason has had some meaty lines and a good storyline. The others are like you described Alcide – walking "mannequins." I'm very sad over this season. Couldn't care less.

July 9, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lyn

Totally agree, Deb. I barely watched it last night...read this to fill in the gaps. It's not so much – for me – that it's gone "off track" of the Harris books, but that it's nothing but a campy, silly soap opera. The whole "fire demon" thing and then the "girl fight" sealed the deal for me that this season really is the pits so far!

July 9, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Branden

I can't stand when people want a show or movie to be exactly like the book! Why would they do that? If you want it to be like the book then just read the freakin book! I love everything about the show and am excited to see how everything develops and turns out!

July 9, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Branden

I loved it! I'm REALLY digging the character development going on! Can't wait to see what happens next!

July 9, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |