Andy Griffith dies at 86
July 3rd, 2012

Andy Griffith dies at 86

Actor Andy Griffith, the man who played folksy Sheriff Andy Taylor in the fictional town of Mayberry, has died at the age of 86, Sheriff J.D. "Doug" Doughtie of Dare County, North Carolina, said Tuesday.

Best known for his role on "The Andy Griffith Show," the actor also starred as a murder-solving Southern attorney in the television series "Matlock" during the 1980s and 1990s. He was also known for his roles in movies and on the stage, as a producer and as a Grammy Award-winning gospel singer.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Mike

Andy Griffith was a true american icon. Matlock was one of my favorite TV shows. He legend will live on through his iconic roles on television. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

July 5, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jody

One of the things that I loved about "Andy Taylor" was everytime "Barney" made himself to look like a fool, Andy would always fixed the situation so that Barney would look like a hero. There was a line from the series which Baraney said Andy told him. "When you're in law enforcement and dealing with people, it's best not to always go by the book, but by the heart". I do believe that was Andy Griffith character in real life.

July 3, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Goober Fan

In grade school in the 60s and 70s. When home from school for a sick day. I would enjoy the couple of Andy Griffith show episodes that day. Always made me feel better. Still love the black and white episodes to this day. Timeless TV. We will miss you Sheriff. -GF

July 3, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. pieguy729

The earth feels awful empty but don't heaven seem nice and full. Thanks for the lessons of fatherhood.

July 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Sly Sadie

Thank you, Andy, for entertaining us for all these years. You will be missed. RIP

July 3, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tia

Awww i used to watch the andy griffith all the time. R.I.P Andy. fans will miss you.

July 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lady Vee

(.)*

July 3, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Chipster

What an amazing entertainer! He had it all. He could act, sing, and play musical instruments. TV & movies, drama & comedy- he made it all look so easy. I still enjoy watching reruns of Matlock and hope that reruns of The Andy Griffith show will be available again. In fact, I have a Gospel CD in my car's player right now. He will be missed. RIP, Mr. Griffith. You are admired by so many of us.

July 3, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lady Vee

RIP Mr Griffith

July 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. .•|•.

"Andy's Taylor's" morals always reminded me of my own Dad. Now I miss them both. :( RIP Mr. Griffith.

July 3, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Doris Cox

HE WILL BE MISSED. HE LEFT A HOLE IN MANY HEARTS.

July 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Aurora

R.I.P. "Sheriff".

July 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Suzanne

RIP "Pa". You'll be greatly missed. Say hello to Aunt Bea :)

July 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |